Enna is a Land God: Book 3

Autorstwa KitCorbeau

Conquering the Dark Proved to be difficult, and Enna was lucky that her Status as a Land God made quite diffi... Więcej

Adventurers in the Forest
Men and Monsters
Playing Dress-Up
A Meeting With the Pernians
Lunch with Monsters
Seeing off the Adventurer's Party
A Summons?
It's Getting Way too Crowded in Here!
The Investigators Return
Ogres, and Harpies, and Unicorns... Oh My
Foxes and Snow
The Grandness of Talon's Pass
Yevette
Fartha Wind Weaver
Ogres in the Night
Day One of the Summit

The Fox Princess

112 12 15
Autorstwa KitCorbeau

"It just doesn't seem right..." I said, uncomfortably. "Kishi, you are not a horse!"

The fox guardian sighed, and she and Lagdon shared an amused glance. "Enna, I already said I was fine with this. I insisted, as a matter of fact."

She had said that, multipole times. But I just couldn't get over the fact that seeing the beautiful fox with a saddle- admittedly a very lovely one- as being wrong. Kishi was a person, not a pack mule. She was not a beast of burden. Riding on her back from time to time was one thing, but an actual saddle?

Currently there was quite a lot of activity going on. We were all getting set to leave for the summit. There were twenty Rohgek riders, eight-teen of them massive hobgoblins and two the most intense looking goblane I had seen. Clearly it was a show meant to impress and intimidate the other races.

I would have objected, but I had decided long ago to let the monsters handle their own politics as best as I could. Its not like were were dealing with a foreign nation of humans this time, just other monsters. And Margund and the others still had a lot more experience in this than I. But I was looking forward to being a part of all this, at least.

"Deal with it Girly." Laughed Reihekiu as she and Nord approached. Neither was joining us, as both were needed here, especially with Lagdon and I leaving. I trusted both to look after things while I was gone.

"People have already started calling you the Fox Princess, you know? It would look right if you show up riding on such an impressive specimen such as Kishi: the grandest of fox monsters."

"What!?" I exclaimed, having never once heard that absurd title.

"Your flattery is appreciated, but it will not get you overly far with me, hobgoblin." Kishi sated.

Nord chuckled. As he and the halfling woman reached us, he held up a thick cloak. "Wear this. Trixie and the seamstresses worked hard on it, and dyed it just the right color."

I aloud the older hobgoblin to tie the thick pelt and fur cloak over my shoulders. It was gorgeous! Thick fur that I recognized instantly as Kishi's was dyed my now signature copper color and brushed out to a glossy finish along the seams. The main make of the cloak was a thick pelt lined in a delicate copper silk like material, also copper in color and stitched with golden flowers.

"It's beautiful!" I breathed, loving my newest gift, petting the fur as if it really were Kishi herself.

"I will be sure to convey your gratitude then." Smiled Nord, tugging the hood up over my head where it partially covered my eyes for a moment.

"Hey!" I laughed, reaching up to fix it. My hands brushed against an odd shape so I fingered the stiff leather covered in yet more fur. "Ears!" I laughed happily, enchanted with the stylized fox ears added to the hood. I loved it, but was also pretty sure that people would truly be calling me obnoxious names like 'Fox Princess' while I wore it.

Oh well. I wasn't about to snub such a great gift for such a silly reason. Especially since I really did like this gift.

"Well, don't you look lovely?" I heard the voice of Margund announce. Most of the current hobgoblin guard were his men. the population of my estate was growing, but I was uncomfortable with too many of the ones trained to fight leaving it unguarded. Most of our most recent population boost was, after all, noncombatant kobolds. So, a few of Lagdon's best joined Margund's personal guards, but that was mostly it.

We had fox escorts as well, but they were mostly sticking close to Brixie. This would be the young foxie's first official summit as the new elder of the fox village. Brax had wanted to go, but Brixie put her foot down and told him to just sit at home and smoke his pipe like the good retired fox that he was. 

He had griped and moaned a little, but seemed more amused by his daughter than anything. Ozzie wanted to come too, and he was becoming quite the talented and reliable ranger here at the estate, but he wasn't quite ready for such a job. Not according to Lagdon at least. There were only three foxes accompanying me, personally: Draxly and Brillum, of course. But there was a third fox with us this time.

Her name was Luxana. She was the granddaughter of the old foxie healer from the village, Zix. Like her mother, Luxana was trained as a healer. Unlike her mother, she was a foxmen, not a foxie. Also, unlike her mother, Luxa was also quite proficient at self defense. She was not as gifted as many of the other guards, but Lagdon apricated having a healer around that didn't need to be babysat at all times.

His words, not mine.

The young Luxana was currently getting a crash course on how to ride a rohgek from the other two foxie males several yards away. She was in her late teens with white hair and fur, like her mothers, and sapphire blue eyes.

"Now that we are all gathered, I think it is about time to go." Margund said, gazing out over not just the large number of guardsmen, but also the three hastily constructed wagons of supplies, and about ten servants specially selected for this mission. It was a whole dang production! "Mount up, Fox Princess." He added with a playful smile that would look odd on any other, usually serious, hobgoblin. But it looked about right for Margund.

The goblin king bowed slightly before heading toward his own rohgek mount, a rather large and fierce looking specimen that had a fancier saddle with a sword strapped to the saddle. About as fancy as a goblin got, I supposed. Unless he wanted to dust off one of his father's old palanquins.

"Be happy you are riding me, Mistress. At least you are not sitting in one of those flashy carriages humans favor." Kishi said, nudging my arm, proving that she just knew me so very well. It was very true that I would not have liked to be in a carriage. Talk about flashy.

Besides, it was already going to be an effort, bringing the supply wagons though the untamed wilderness, mush less a carriage. Come the nicer weather I would have to suggest that the monsters start work on more roads. The one they had made, connecting the estate with both the fox village and Gurten was truly a marvel of convenience.

Sighing in defeat, I took to Kishi's saddle. It was a beautifully made thing, both comfortable and light. It was made of durable leather. Still, I wasn't really sold on poor Kishi having to wear the darn thing.

As Lagdon checked my straps and got the other hobgoblins organized, I saw that Margund was also getting people moving.

Before long we were all in formation. Margund and his guards were up front, followed by me and mine, and lastly came the supply wagons and servants, like cooks and a few maids. This was going to be an interesting trip.

"They are moving." Draxly stated as he and Brillum stood either side of me to the rear. Lagdon, as always, was right at my side on a rohgek. But the two foxie were better off on foot than mounted, as they were faster and more agile than the rohgek anyways. 

Luxana was just behind them, with the supply wagons at her back. She looked less than confident at being mounted of the boar wolf, but smiled back at me when I gave her a reassuring nod of encouragement. She was a brave and diligent foxmen, but this was her first important task. i was sure she must have been nervous.

"Don't die." I heard a sardonic voice mewl near by.

I looked to where Nord and Reihekiu stood to the side and was not surprised to see Mittens sitting at their feet, licking a paw. The smith and battle instructor were glaring down at him, but the cat couldn't have cared less.

I chuckled and shook my head, knowing that the cat was a little torn on weather or not he still wished for my death. If I did die he would be free... Maybe. But I also knew that he was starting to enjoy his life at the estate. Even becoming accustom to being a cat, for that matter. Heck, some of the maids had even begun to soften to him, giving him cream and clearing off sunny patches for him to nap on throughout the estate.

I decided not to warn him that several had started to make him little outfits. Teach the snarky little creature to mind his manners a little. 

It made me laugh to imagen them trying to stuff him into a tiny little vest.

"Best not to keep the Fox elder waiting!" Margund called over the din, making everyone go silent. "Lets go!"

Smiling, I settled into the saddle and Kishi stepped forward with the rest of the procession. We would meat up with Brixie and the foxes along the road before leaving the paved way and heading for Talon's Pass, where the summit was to take place.

I was really looking forward to meeting the other monsters, even if the summit itself was a little nerve racking. I was assured that nothing would be expected of me. I was basically a guest of honor and could sit there and say nothing the whole time if I really wanted. But it did not help much with the nerves.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

5.8K 85 24
Evangeline thought she was just an average angel with black wings, but she had a past. A past she couldn't remember until she was returned back to h...
12K 742 39
Born an elf into a world where elves are hunted and killed, twenty-two year old Faeda fears she may be the last of her kind. Hiding amongst those who...
486 74 88
The world had long since been damaged. The ancient gods saw to that, when they unwittingly created the curse. Now the world crumbles while the purple...
26.7K 1.4K 52
They say nothing was left of Ravenna Aphelion... nothing but her ancestral amber ring and a scared little girl clinging to it and crying in the ash o...