never a god | treech

seungielovebot által

- 𝐭𝐛𝐨𝐬𝐚𝐬 - "Why are you here? Isn't it a little past your curfew?" Treech spat, avoiding Vera's gaze. V... Több

00 | Characters
- ACT I -
01 | The Final Assignment
02 | Welcome to the Capitol
03 | At the Zoo
04 | Dr. Gaul
05 | District 7
06 | Arachne
07 | The Arena
08 | Hospital Visits
09 | The Ring Twins
11 | Lights Camera Action
12 | The Beauty of War
13 | The Last Time
- ACT II -
14 | ... Ready For It?
15 | When the Bell Rings
16 | Run Treech
17 | Coriolanus Snow
18 | Losing Dogs
19 | The Handkerchief
20 | Rainbow of Destruction
21 | Day Five
22 | Final Three
23 | Can't Catch Me Now
EPILOGUE.
24 | The Fall of the Lumberjack - Alternate End
new treech fic !!

10 | Fights

1.9K 100 105
seungielovebot által

As Sejanus had expected, preparations for the games continued to go on. The day after the Ring twins' funeral, all mentors were once again instructed to wait in Heavensbee Hall for a meeting with their tribute. This time though, the topic of discussion was the interview.

"Treech," Vera greeted, sending the boy a smile as she sat down and instinctively placed her hand on his.

"Vera," Treech greeted back as he nodded his head and pulled his hands back. Vera frowned in confusion but decided to brush it off, paying attention to her notebook.

"So for your-" said Vera as she cleared her throat, but before she could even finish, she was interrupted.

"No, I don't see why I shouldn't be given a new tribute. It's not my fault they died," Vera heard Livia Cardew shouting at one of the Peacekeepers, drawing her attention. And not only did Livia's voice draw Vera's attention, it also drew the entire hall's attention.

"Ms. Cardew, I assure you, we would if we could, but there simply will be no switching," the Peacekeeper responded, earning a scoff from Livia.

"This is so unfair," Livia exclaimed, "Clemensia isn't even here. She's out with the flu."

"Sit down, Livia. Some of us are trying to have a conversation," Vera spoke up, sick of hearing so much talking.

"Well, why don't you switch with me, Vera? Since you hate the games so much, why don't I take your tribute off your hands," Livia replied, making her way over to Vera. Vera scoffed before standing up.

"And why would I do that?" Vera laughed out. Livia smirked before leaning closer.

"You know, it might be a little hard for you watching pretty boy die in the arena. What, with you being in love with him and all," Livia whispered to Vera so only she could hear. 

Vera's blood boiled and before she could think, she was shoving Livia on the ground and being held back by two Peacekeepers from doing it again.

"Touch a nerve, Vera?" Livia teased, but Vera could see her wincing from pain.

"Why? Wanna go again?" Vera replied, trying to shove the Peacekeepers off her.

"That's enough. Livia, sit down and stop talking. Vera, focus on your tribute. And keep your hands to yourself," Highbottom cut in, suddenly appearing next to the girls. Finally, the Peacekeepers let her go, instead forcing her to sit down and face Treech.

Treech looked at her with a shocked expression, slightly standing as if he tried to get up at one point but was held back by the chains. Next to her, she could hear Pup laughing.

"Are you always this violent?" Treech asked her, his shocked look turning into slight amusement. From the looks of it, it seemed as if his bad mood had begun to slowly fade away.

"Not particularly," Vera responded, both embarrassed at the fact that Treech saw her fighting with her classmate and slightly angered by Livia's words.

"Lies," Pup coughed out, but Vera just rolled her eyes, focusing her attention on the boy in front of her.

"Well, I'm glad I got front-row seats at such a rare occasion then," Treech teased, flashing her a cocky grin. Vera raised her eyebrow slightly with a faulty smirk.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it," she replied, slightly rolling her eyebrows.

"What did she even say anyway?" Treech then asked, causing Vera to pause.

"Nothing special," she replied, covering up her annoyance with a smile.

"If it was nothing special then why did you get so upset?" Treech pried, watching as Vera went quiet.

"Was it really just because she wanted to switch with you? Gosh, Darling, I didn't know you were that attached to me," Treech joked, though Vera was a little embarrassed to know that was really the reason. At least a part of it anyway.

"I mean how could I give up my favorite Lumberjack?" Vera joked back, hiding her embarrassment with a laugh.

"Favorite? Aren't I the only lumberjack you know?" Treech asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Maybe. But that doesn't stop you from being my favorite," Vera responded as they both laughed. 

"Mentors, you have five more minutes," Highbottom yelled out, interrupting them. 

"Right, the interview. I doubt they'll let you show your axe skills, but that doesn't mean you can't talk about them," Vera suggested and she knew she was right. After what happened with Arachne, there's no way she'd be able to convince them to give Treech an axe. And swinging around a mop definitely won't do the trick.

"What else should I do with my time? Besides talking up my axe skills?" Treech asked, somewhat amused by Vera's notetaking.

"Well, you can make yourself more likable. There's going to be a lot of people watching. You're going to want some sponsors," Vera replied, causing Treech to playfully scoff.

"You don't think I'm likable, Darling?"

"I do," Vera answered, "But unlike everyone else, I had more than 10 minutes with you to find that out."

"Alright, and what might you suggest I do," Treech replied with a smirk. Vera rolled her eyes with a laugh.

"On second thought, why don't I take over that portion, you just work on selling your axe skills," Vera responded, crossing out the idea on the notepad in front of her.

"Why? You worried I'll charm everyone and you won't have me to yourself anymore?" Treech teased her again.

"Yeah right, more like you'll scare all the sponsors away," Vera joked, "Trust me, I'll flatter you up so much you'll think I'm in love with you."

"Oh, I hope so, Darling," Treech replied with a smile, "Gotta convince the audience somehow."

"Alright, Mentors. Your time is up, say goodbye," Highbottom announced.

"I'll see you later?" Vera asked as she got up, earning a smirk from Treech.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," he replied, sending her a cheeky wink. Vera only laughed as she got up and waved goodbye, heading out the door. 

-

"See what happens when I'm not there to stop you," Festus called out as he made his way next to Vera with a teasing smile. Vera only rolled her eyes, giving his good shoulder a shove.

"What happened in there?" Festus mumbled to Vera as the group made their way into the high biology lab, his teasing tone turning into one of concern.

"It was nothing, I just got a little too worked up," Vera whispered back, brushing off his concern.

"Well, you might wanna control your temper, Hothead. It looks like we're going to have to deal with Dr. Gaul too," Festus advised, pointing toward the crazy lady feeding rabbits in the corner. Great.

"Hippity, hoppity, carrot or stick? Everyone's dying and you're..." Dr. Gaul sang with one of her sinister rhymes. Oh she's crazy, Vera thought as she averted her gaze. Only Sejanus felt brave enough to respond.

"Feeling sick," said Sejanus as he stood up. Only Vera laughed.

"Well if it isn't the compassionate ones. I see you still have your tribute," Dr. Gaul directed toward Vera before turning toward Sejanus, "But what about you? Where's yours?"

Sejanus let out an annoyed scoff, but he refused to back down.

"I don't know. Possibly on his way to freedom. Possibly hiding. Or captured. Or he could be dead. You'd know more than me, wouldn't you?" Sejancus replied as Vera covered her smile with her hand.

"Nevermind that, No need for you to answer. He's either dead or about to be when you parade him down streets," Sejanjus added before Dr. Gaul could speak. Vera would be more than impressed if she didn't know what Dr. Gaul was capable of. There's no way she's letting Sejanus take all of Dr. Gaul's wrath.

"That's our right," Dr. Gaul spat back.

"Yeah right," Vera cut in, standing in front of Sejanus, "Nothing gives you the right to starve people or punish them for no reason. You had no right to take away these kids' freedom or lives. It makes you no better than the people you saw we fought so desperately against in the war."

Dr. Gaul's jaw clenched for a moment, before smiling and walking over to touch Vera's face. Vera stiffened but kept a hard gaze on Dr. Gaul. 

"Such a compassionate young girl, you are. Too bad compassion doesn't win you wars," Dr. Gaul replied.

"I thought the war was over," Livia cut in.

"Did you? Even after your experience in the arena?" Dr. Gaul asked, finally moving away from Vera, who begrudently took a seat next to Lysistrata.

"I sure did," Lysistrata added, "And if the war is over then technically shouldn't the killing be as well?"

"I'm starting to think the war will never be over," Festus interrupted, causing Vera to turn to him, "The districts will always hate us and we will always hate them." 

Vera's jaw clenched at his words as she forced herself to remember that no matter how much she loved Festus and how kind he was to her, he still thought like everyone else in the Capitol and there was no changing that.

"You might be on to something there," Dr. Gaul answered, intrigued by Festus's response, "Let's consider for a moment that war is neverending. Then what should be our goal?"

"War? Neverending?" Vera cut in again, directing her response to Festus, "Maybe if we didn't treat the districts so badly, there wouldn't be a war in the first place. Their hatred is because of our unfair treatment. We can change that."

"While that would be an interesting theory to test out, my fiery friend," Dr. Gaul replied, "It's irrelevant. Just consider the hypothetical for me. If a war can't be won, what's our strategy then?"

Vera scoffed, sinking further in her seat.

"Mr. Snow, how about you?"

"We control it," Coryo cut in with a nonchalant shrug, "If war's impossible to end, then we make sure we always have control. As we do now. With the Peacekeepers, the strict laws, the Hunger Games. It's better to be the victor than to be defeated."

Vera once again scoffed. Did he really believe all that rubbish? Even after what happened with Lucy Gray?

"Though, in our case, it's decidedly much less moral," Sejanus added in, seemingly also frustrated at Coryo's comment.

"There's nothing immoral about defending ourselves," Livia cut in, "And who wouldn't rather be the victor than defeated?"

"I don't think I care for either of the two options," Lysistrata replied, squeezing Vera's hand under the table, "I simply refuse."

"But that's not an option," Coryo argued, "Not really, considering the question."

"Well, that shouldn't matter, since it's all hypothetical. Right, Dr. Gaul," Vera answered instead, clenching her jaw as she stared at her friend in anger. 

"If you say so, little girl," Dr. Gaul replied with a sly smile, "Now, all this chatter has got me thinking. War has its ups and downs, but for your next assignment, I would like you to write me a paper on what's attractive about war. Everything you loved about it."

Everyone in the room went silent as they pondered Dr. Gaul's question, but Vera stared forward, biting her cheek.

"Loved about it? What's there to love about war?" Lysistrata asked, frowning at the assignment.

"Well this shouldn't be hard," Festus said at the same time with a big grin. A grin that dropped quickly when he noticed Vera's disappointed glare.

"Be as honest as you dare," said Dr. Gaul, "Bring your essays to Sunday's mentor meeting."

And with that, the group was dismissed.

-

Vera beelined out of the room immediately, ignoring the calls of her name from Festus and Lysistrata. Instead, Vera found herself grabbing onto Sejanus's arm and heading toward the door, away from the Academy. 

As the two finally reached an empty corner, Vera paused to examine Sejanus. Sejanus, rightfully, looked angry, with his fists clenched and lips pursed.

"That woman is evil," Sejanus mumbled, "She needs to be stopped."

"I know, Sejanus. But she doesn't listen to us, especially not when others in the class validate the way she's thinking," Vera replied, eyes scanning Sejanus's face.

"I can't do this anymore, Vera," Sejanus breathed out as his anger turned to sadness. Immediately, Vera pulled her friend in for a hug, rubbing his back in comfort. 

"I just want to go home," Sejanus mumbled, burying his head into Vera's shoulder. Vera continued to run a soothing hand down his back, closing her eyes in sadness. She'd wished she could do more to comfort her friend, but both of them knew there was no way he'd be welcomed back in District 2.

"I'm so sorry, Sejanus," Vera whispered as she held him close.

"Do you ever want to run away?" Sejanus asked her, quietly so only she could hear. And oddly, Vera was reminded of her conversation with Treech a while ago.

"I mean, I've thought about it, but there's nowhere to go. You know that," Vera replied with a sad smile. Sejanus nodded as he pulled away.

"I know," he replied, "It's just being Capitol is going to kill me."

"Then we'll have to find a way out of here," Vera replied, "What would you like to do if you could?"

"I'd love to be a medic," Sejanus answered with a smile, "Help some people. Make a real difference. What about you?"

"Hmm, if I could do anything, I'd imagine myself a baker. Maybe not for a job, but when I picture a good life, I see myself making cookies in a quiet place. Not a bustling city like the Capitol," Vera gushed, waving her hands around as she described her dream. Sejanus only laughed.

"It's stupid, I know. But it's fun to think about sometimes," Vera added.

"No, I could see it. You being a baker and me a medic. I don't know where we are, but I know we're free. And that we have each other," Sejanus agreed with a warm smile. Vera only laughed, pulling her friend back in for another hug.

-

A/N: I LOVE Sejanus and Vera's friendship sm :( anyways!! happy Wednesday !! welcome to the first Wednesday update <3 I hope you guys enjoy this chapter,,, we're getting close to the start of the games !!! oh noooo lol

anyways, have a good day guys and I'll see you on Friday <3

love you guys,

Hannah <3

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

34.6K 1.4K 37
❝𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐨 𝐈 𝐠𝐨 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐈 𝐬𝐞𝐞 hunger games │the ballad of songbirds and snakes In which a girl from the heart...
13.2K 737 25
- 𝐭𝐛𝐨𝐬𝐚𝐬 - "Of course, I got stuck with you," said Bell with a scoff. From the corner of her eyes, she could see a smirk grow on Festus's face...