The Skin Thief

Bởi Clog-bot

A young dream walker gifted with the ability to take over other people's bodies, becomes a spy and political... Xem Thêm

Season List for The Skin Thief
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91

Chapter 69

592 33 2
Bởi Clog-bot

Kiora

Alethia arrives in the morning to escort Kiora back to her room. As soon as she lays eyes on Kiora, Alethia shoots her a cold stare. Then again, when isn't the up-tight woman not looking stern and miserable?

"Good morning, dear sister," Athan says, walking behind Kiora.

"Well, you certainly seem to be in a fine mood this morning," Alethia says, forcing on a tight smile.

The emperor chuckles and kisses the top of Kiora's head.

"We had a marvellous night," he says.

Kiora smiles shyly and Alethia narrows her eyes.

"So, Lady Kiora has finally performed her duty?" Alethia asks.

Athan rolls his eyes. "Why are you so obsessed with mine and Kiora's intimate relationship, Alethia?"

"Trust me, Athan, I would rather be interested in anything else. But as the guardian of your wives, it is my responsibility to make sure that they are fulfilling their wifely duties. Their behaviour reflects on me and my leadership. I take a lot of pride in teaching them to be the perfect and proper women you and this empire deserve."

"Well, you have nothing to worry about with Kiora. She is a fine woman and whether we are or aren't having sex, that does not change. So, dear sister, I strongly suggest you drop the subject about mine and Kiora's sex life and allow us to navigate our relationship in a way we are both happy and comfortable with."

Kiora bites back a smile, her stomach warming. It may only be a subtle dig at his sister, but it's something. He is defending her.

Alethia's smile tightens and she curtseys.

"As you wish, Emperor."

"Thank you." Athan turns to Kiora, smiling fondly. "And thank you, for a truly enlightening evening," he says, and winks.

Kiora bites at her lip as she smiles. Athan lifts her hand, gently kissing it.

"I shall see you tonight."

"Twice in a row, Emperor?" Alethia gasps. "I strongly advise you call on one of your other wives. You do not want to-"

Athan sighs loudly, interrupting her. Then, he turns to face her. Alethia gulps and cowers.

"I know you don't like Kiora, Alethia, but I do. Stop meddling and let me see who I want to see. Yes, you are the guardian of my harem and I appreciate all the work you do. But stop trying to manipulate my relationships with my wives. You are overstepping."

Her jaw clenches and she bows her head.

"I apologise."

"Don't make me tell you again."

Kiora almost wants to jump up and down with joy as Athan puts Alethia in her place, but she doesn't. Instead, she keeps her composure calm. She turns to Athan.

"I'm sure you have a busy day today. I will leave you in peace."

He smiles softly and nods his head. "I shall see you for dinner."

He looks up at Alethia. "It has been too long since I dinned with my harem. See to it that a feast is arranged."

Alethia and Kiora raise their brows in surprise.

"Yes, Emperor," Alethia says breathlessly.

"Now, I really must be getting ready. I'll see you both tonight."

"Goodbye," Kiora says and then smiles at him again. The emperor smiles back, then, Kiora turns, and follows Alethia out of the room.

They walk through the corridors in silence. With every thump of Alethia's cane on the stone floor, Kiora flinches. She can feel the enraged heat oozing off of Alethia. Kiora's stomach starts to flutter with nerves the closer they get to the privacy of her room.

What will Alethia do or say when she's safe from the presence and watchful eye of Athan?

Kiora bites at the inside of her cheek, remembering her words last night to the emperor. She hadn't meant to speak to him like that. It certainly wasn't her plan, she had originally meant to play the passive-aggressive game all evening. But her fighting talk had spilled out of her uncontrollably. At that moment, she felt powerful and formidable.

But now she must back it up.

Words were one thing. Actions are another. Kiora has never played the political game before, and she is going up against experts. She can't manipulate and scheme as effectively as Illyria and Alethia.

The doors to her room open. Sorcha waits inside with her ladies.

"Out," Alethia snaps at them, making them all jump and scurry away. Kiora's stomach drops. Something is about to happen, but how is she going to respond?

Should she play the part of a timid wife and continue to let Alethia think her weak? Or should she show some of her strength, some of her fire that she revealed to Athan last night?

Alethia spins on her heels to face Kiora as soon as the doors are shut behind them.

"Is something wrong, Princess?" Kiora asks calmly.

Alethia glares at her, the look filled with such venomous hatred that Kiora wants to look away and hide.

Slowly, Alethia steps toward her. "I should applaud you really," she begins, her voice cruel.

"Applaud me?" Kiora asks, confused.

"Stop playing dumb, it's exhausting," Alethia snaps. "One night. That's all it took for you to worm your way back into his good graces. Even after months of no contact."

She shakes her head and Kiora keeps her expression neutral, not giving anything away.

"I should have pushed for more time," she sighs.

So, Alethia also played a part in her punishment. Hardly surprising really. Illyria and Alethia are always huddling away and scheming together. It makes sense that they would plan this together.

"Not to worry. I won't be underestimating your charm again, that's for sure."

"Whatever are you talking about?" Kiora asks.

Alethia steps in front of her, getting into Kiora's personal space and looking her straight in the eyes.

"You aren't special, Kiora," she whispers. "You aren't unique. You aren't any better than any of the other wives here."

"I never said I was," she replies.

Not to their faces, anyway, she thinks.

The strike comes out of nowhere. Pain erupts on the side of Kiora's face and she stumbles back, but not falling. She blinks, dazed.

"You will not talk back to me," Alethia snarls. Kiora straightens and returns a glare.

"And you will not strike me again," Kiora says, her voice like ice.

Alethia's eyes widen and she raises her cane. Expecting the hit now, Kiora doesn't even flinch as the cane slams into her side. She ignores the pain and watches Alethia's expression change from rage to shock.

Kiora takes a step closer to her.

"Do I have to repeat myself?" Kiora asks, coming to a stop right before Alethia. She stares into the woman's eyes with defiance. "Never strike me again, Alethia."

"Or what?" she challenges.

"You don't want to find out," Kiora says calmly, not breaking eye contact.

Alethia smirks and shakes her head. She steps around Kiora and walks towards the door. Then, she starts laughing. Kiora gulps and narrows her eyes, confused. Alethia opens the door, but before she leaves, she turns back to face Kiora.

"So it begins," she says, then spins on her heels and leaves, slamming the door as she goes.

Kiora lets out a long breath and flops onto her bed. Now Alethia is gone, her hands begin to shake.

What had she done? What had she just awoken in Alethia?

"Fuck," she whispers. What if she couldn't do it? What if Illyria and Alethia just walk all over her? What if her words of strength were just that? Words.

She gulps, swallowing a lump in her throat. The doors open and Sorcha and her handmaids tentatively walk inside.

Kiora forces on a smile and stands up. No, everything she said to both Athan and Alethia weren't just words. She had meant those threats to Athan when she said them and she will not let Alethia hurt her again.

Trust yourself. Kiora takes in a deep breath and smiles. She can do this, and she can win. She will win.

Her first step is gaining allies. No, more than that, it is gaining followers. People in this place who adore her, who worship her, who see her as their leader. People, who, when Illyria inevitably frames her for something else, will defend her and deny she is ever capable of doing such things.

First, she will start with her handmaids and even Sorcha. It will be subtle of course, she'll take it slow, building the relationship with them.

She watches them as they begin to work on her, their heads down with fear. Not from her, but from Alethia. Kiora smiles warmly at them.

"Thank you," she says to them. They don't stop working, but they do smile softly.

Of course, Kiora would need more powerful friends than just maids.

Next, she will work on the concubines, and she knows just how to do that.

***

Excited chatter fills the dining hall. The tables are laid out like they normally are with three rows running vertically up the room and then the horizontal, head table at the top. Only this time, right in the middle of the top table, there is a throne. All the tables have also been set up with sparkling, grand decorations. They all walk in together, the wives leading the way and the concubines following behind.

As they see the tables, there are gasps, then excited giggles.

The wives move toward the head table where Alethia waits. Illyria turns to the wives.

"I shall sit on the emperor's left. But, which of you should sit to his right?" she asks curiously, staring between all the wives. Kiora wants to slap her. Illyria smirks at all the determined, desperate looks from the other women. Kiora almost expects them to fall to their knees and beg Illyria for the chance to sit next to Athan.

Illyria is loving it.

Her eyes fall on Kiora's. "You shall sit at the end," she instructs.

What a surprise.

"Actually," Alethia says, cutting in. Her jaw is clenched, her expression hard. "The emperor has requested Kiora sit on his other side.

All the wives freeze, then slowly turn to Kiora.

"How wonderful," Illyria says, forcing a tight smile on her face.

Kiora looks away, trying to play the timid card. She can still feel the enraged glares from the other wives on her as she makes her way to her seat.

An attendant pulls out the chair for her and she sits, gently moving her layers of fine skirts out of the way. She, like all the other wives and concubines, wears her finest dress. She has to admit, this one is magnificent. The layers of whites and pale silvers are beautifully elegant. It is delicate, and soft-looking, just as she wants to appear.

Once everyone is settled, the grand doors open. Silence fills the hall and the emperor walks in. Even Kiora's breath hitches as she sees him.

He is magnificent.

Wearing a deep red velvet tunic, adorned in gold, he looks spectacular. His golden hair has also been pulled off his head in straggly braids, showing the shaved parts at the side, giving him a sexy, rugged look.

His dragon eyes practically glow as he looks around all his adoring women. The scales around his face shimmer in the low firelight. At once, everyone in the room stands. As he walks toward the head table, they curtsey, not letting up until he has passed.

Beside her, an attendant pulls out his throne. Keeping her head down until he is seated, Kiora can't see him arrive beside her. She can feel him though. His overpowering presence looms over her, reminding her of his power. The intoxicating scent of spices and smoke makes her toes curl.

Then he sits.

"You may take a seat," he says to the hall. Kiora straightens and then sits back down in her chair, acutely aware of the emperor sitting right beside her.

What will he be like with her in front of all his wives and concubines? Kiora's stomach flutters with nerves.

"Thank you all for joining me," Athan says, his voice carrying around the hall confidently. "It has been far too long since we all dined together, and for that, I apologise. I have come to realise that I have been neglecting all of you as of late. Take this dinner as my first step in trying to provide for you a better environment in which all of you can thrive and feel happy and safe."

Gasps fill the room, and the concubines turn and giggle with each other excitedly. Athan chuckles, a bright smile warming his face.

"Now, enough of me talking. Eat, drink, and be merry," he orders and holds up his wine chalice.

Everyone takes theirs and holds it up too, letting out a shout of joy before taking delicate sips.

"This is wonderful, Your Majesty," Illyria says from his other side.

"Well, you have Kiora to thank It is she who inspired me and made me realise my wrongdoings."

"Wrongdoings? I can assure you, Your Majesty, there is nothing wrong with the way you've been treating us. Do not listen to such accusations," Illyria gasps.

"It's fine, my dear," he says to her, taking her hand. "You do not have to coddle me all the time. You are my wives, after all." He turns to address them all. "And when we are in private, that is all we are, husband and wife. Is it not the role of partners to tell each other when they are wrong and to encourage positive change if there are areas in which we are failing?"

None of the wives answer. Instead, they look between Kiora and Athan with slightly narrowed eyes and accusatory expressions. Athan chuckles and turns.

"Enough of this," he says, a slight warning in his voice. "Please, just enjoy this dinner and each other's company."

"Yes, Your Majesty," they all say, bowing their head.

Athan's eyes fall on Kiora's. She bites back a smile. Under the table, his hand reaches out, clasping hers.

Her stomach flutters.

Perhaps this is a new start. Maybe Athan being more involved could bring the wives together and help ease the jealousy.

Kiora knows that is wishful thinking. She peaks a look at Illyria, who is glaring down at Athan and Kiora's intertwined hands.

Illyria's eyes find Kiora's and her stare is filled with hate. Kiora just smiles at her and looks away. But as she does so, dread gnaws at her, making her body ache.

Alethia's words come back to Kiora's mind.

So it begins. 

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

14.3K 1K 82
"This bounty is mine, Xander," He said. It was the first time I ever heard his name. Xander smirked, "Kill me first, then take her." He proposed arr...
294 26 17
"You're a Shifter." This caught me off-guard. A Shifter? I had heard of them, thieves and criminals that are able to shift to the Other Realm using s...
1K 288 9
** A thief with very exceptional skills is trying to steal the most precious thing from the ruler of snow, ice, and frost: the winter itself! ** "Whe...
8.6K 926 39
"Your mine," His voice is husky as he looks down at me. I shake me head and take a step back from him only to make contact with the wall behind me. ...