Terms of Endearment │Part I:...

By Em-The-Writer

"The marriage between the second daughter of King Viserys and his own brother, Prince Daemon, raised eyebrows... More

I. darilaros (princess)
Chapter 1: Sunrise
Chapter 2: Dolls
Chapter 3: Pyre
Chapter 4: Stepmother
Chapter 6: Kindred
Chapter 7: Farewell
Chapter 8: Birthright
II. gevivys (beauty)
Chapter 9: Homecoming
Chapter 10: Meeting
Chapter 11: Delight
Chapter 12: Love
Chapter 13: Resolve
Chapter 14: Fury
Chapter 15: Confrontation
Chapter 16: Triumph
Chapter 17: Bride
Chapter 18: His
III. dōnus riñus (sweet girl)
Chapter 19: Wedding
Chapter 20: Bedding
Chapter 21: Morning
Chapter 22: Quarrel
Chapter 23: Release
Chapter 24: Flight
Chapter 25: Fear
Chapter 26: Isle
Chapter 27: Requiem
Chapter 28: Beach
Chapter 29: Fight
Chapter 30: Vow
IV. ilībītsos (little slut)
Chapter 31: Drink
Chapter 32: Public
Chapter 33: Hush
Chapter 34: Costume
Chapter 35: Ride
Chapter 36: Full
Chapter 37: Brat
Chapter 38: Deal
Chapter 39: Celebration
Chapter 40: Worship
V. ñuhus prumȳs (my heart)
Chapter 41: Discovery
Chapter 42: Revealing
Chapter 43: Surprise
Chapter 44: Announcement
Chapter 45: Plot
Chapter 46: Retribution
Chapter 47: Betrayal
Chapter 48: Missive
Chapter 49: Reconciliation
Chapter 50: Birth
Chapter 51: Visitors
Chapter 52: Dynasty

Chapter 5: Forgotten

5.6K 192 8
By Em-The-Writer

THE PRINCESS

When Alicent gets married to Papa, they have a big ceremony. So so many people come from all over the kingdom to see Papa take a new Queen, and the days of the wedding—there are lots of days to them starting in marriage—are full of more noise and colour and movement than you could ever think was real.

Her dress is very pretty, and Papa looks very nice in his new coat, but neither of them look so happy as people who are going to be in marriage should be. Papa keeps playing with the ring on his finger that is from Mama, while Alicent just looks like she is afraid. You think it might be because of how loud everyone is being.

'Nyra isn't happy, either. She keeps you on her lap the entire time with an angry look on her face and doesn't speak to Alicent very much at all, but at least she tries to be kind when she does. She ignores Papa, and because you are all sitting at the high table and everyone is watching you, he cannot tell her she is being rude and naughty.

Because you don't want to look at Alicent's unhappy face or 'Nyra's angry one, you play with your sister's necklace, letting the shiny metal take all your attention. It is Valyrian steel, which is what Papa's and Uncle's swords are made out of, so it is very special. Uncle gave it to her. When you let your fingers swirl over the ruby in the middle of the big pendant over and over, you pretend that it's a part of him and that he's here, after all.

After the big ceremony is done, life goes back to almost-normal. Now that Alicent is Papa's Queen, she is something called a stepmother, meaning that Brella and Septa and all the people who are made to look after you and 'Nyra have to talk to her about you both. She is like your mama. You wake up and break your fast with Alicent, and she cuts up your food instead of Mama, and she takes you outside to play and tells you about the names of the flowers. Then, when it is time to sleep again, she reads you a story. You think that she likes it very much because she always seems sad until she sees you, and then her face goes bright like the sun.

'Nyra doesn't like it. She doesn't like it at all. When she learns that Alicent is acting like your mama, her face goes very red like she's going to scream, but she just goes very quiet instead and storms out of your rooms. For that whole day, 'Nyra takes you to the gardens and to see Syrax and to the library to learn some more High Valyrian, her new sworn shield Ser Criston behind her all the time. She never once lets you go see Alicent to do the things you normally do. When you finally get to be in the room with her at suppertime with Papa and 'Nyra, which Papa has said you all must do now so that everyone can get along, all she does is give you a small smile that doesn't make her eyes go bright like usual and ask about your big day with your sister.

That is how things are for a while. Either you will go through your days with Alicent or with 'Nyra, and never both in one day because 'Nyra is still so angry at Alicent for being in marriage with Papa. You keep asking why, but your sister doesn't tell you anything. She just goes quiet and frowns and mutters things you cannot hear. Meanwhile, Alicent will always stop, take a big breath that sounds shaky when she lets it out, and say, "I have no quarrel with Rhaenyra. She is as welcome to my rooms and in my company as you are, Princess."

You think that might be a lie.

One day, though, everything changes.

'Nyra decides to take you to the library so that you can look at more books in High Valyrian. Even the books written in the Common Tongue make no sense to you yet, and Brella told you this is because you are not old enough to learn reading properly. Still, your sister says that it is still good to try when you're young, so she sits beside you and points out all the funny-looking symbols and tells you what they mean all together. You fall asleep in there instead of having a nap in your bed, but 'Nyra just puts a blanket over you and keeps reading. When you wake, you listen to her voice as she speaks the words from the pages aloud. You don't understand all of it, but you think you've learned more and more since Mama died and she stopped being friends with Alicent. It means she has lots of time for you. Maybe that shouldn't make you happy, but you cannot help it.

At supper, you see Lord Hightower, Alicent's papa, beside her. That means that you have to be next to 'Nyra tonight, so you follow her to her side of the table and sit in the chair that the maid pulls out for you. The chair is higher than the others, made special so that you can reach the food that is put before you. Looking around, it is easy to tell that something is different from how happy Lord Hightower looks and how smiling Papa's face is.

"My two daughters," he says a bit too loudly, cheeks bright red. His cup is in front of him, and the gold shines red from the drink inside. Wine, you think. It is for men and women, not little girls, and it makes the people who drink it act strange like Papa is now. He waves his hand in a 'hello' as he lifts his cup to his mouth and takes a sip. "Ah!"

'Nyra starts eating her food without a word. Everyone has plates with different foods on it, but you have a bowl in front of your seat. Because you are small, the cooks always give you pottage for your supper so that you can eat it with a spoon and no one has to cut things up for you. You don't always like it—there are lots of lumps and you can never tell what taste is going to be in your mouth with each bite—but it is warm and makes your tummy nice and full.

The room is full of the sounds of chewing and clack-clacking when the knives and forks hit the plates. You pick up your spoon and scoop up some food. There are dark bits, which means the cooks have put meat in it. You scrunch your nose.

Papa coughs between bites. He is still smiling a lot. "It seems like an age since I saw you last!"

"We had supper with you yesterday evening," 'Nyra says.

"Ah, yes!" He takes another drink of his wine. Maybe he shouldn't, because he is blinking very much like you do when you're trying to stay awake. "Perhaps the waiting has made it seem longer."

"Waiting?"

"I am sure you have noticed Otto's presence by now."

'Nyra doesn't even look at the man. "My lord." Her voice seems cold.

"Princess." Lord Hightower bends his head, but he doesn't sound very happy either.

Alicent puts her hand on Papa's arm. 'Nyra watches so closely that you wonder if her eyes can make holes in other people's skin. "I—we—have some news, Rhaenyra."

"Oh?" She sounds bored.

"Well..."

When Alicent doesn't say anything, 'Nyra makes a huffing noise. It is very rude. "Well?" she asks, looking between Alicent and Papa. "What is it, then? Everyone's acting rather strange."

"Alicent is with child," Papa says.

'With child' is what people say when a baby is growing in a lady's belly. It's what Mama told you before Baelon grew very large inside her.

'Nyra freezes, almost like she has forgotten how to move. No one says anything. Papa's smile—the one that his words made so much bigger when he said them out loud—begins to fall, more and more with each moment that 'Nyra does nothing at all. Then, it goes away completely, and he's no longer happy like he was.

It's quiet again. Not the nice kind—the kind that means that someone is about to yell or be naughty.

"A baby?" you ask. Maybe you can stop the bad from happening if you help everyone remember that you're still here.

Alicent looks at you, the fear leaving her face a little. She nods. "Yes, Princess. You're to have a brother or sis—"

"Half-brother." 'Nyra's lips move, but the rest of her stays still. She cannot stop staring between Papa and Alicent. "Or half-sister. Either way, they will not be your full blood."

"You are correct, Princess." From the way Lord Hightower speaks and how silent Alicent and Papa are at 'Nyra's words, you think she must have said something quite mean. He gives her a little smile, one that makes her hands squeeze really tight on her knife and fork. "Even so, these are glad tidings, indeed. Let us all pray for the Queen to be delivered of a son."

"I'm sure that would be of great benefit to the Hightowers, my Lord. A son... to solidify your claim to my father's throne."

Lord Hightower stops smiling. Alicent gasps.

Papa makes a small noise. "Rhaenyra—"

All at once, she stands, the plate in front of her clattering loudly with how quick she rises. "Congratulations, Your Grace." She doesn't sound very happy for Alicent, even if the words are nice. "Forgive me—I feel suddenly unwell."

"Daughter—"

'Nyra ignores Papa and storms out of the room, leaving her food only half-eaten. The rest of supper is very quiet, the loudest noise of all being the sound of your own breathing.

Isn't a baby meant to be happy news? you wonder. You look around, but no one here is very happy—except for Lord Hightower. Though he isn't smiling, he has his head held high like he has had every one of his wishes granted all at once.

"What do you think, Princess?" Brella asks.

You stare down into the cradle at the baby. Your brother. Aegon. He is squirming, face bright red, squished and crying. He hasn't stopped even once since you came into the room. He might have been crying since before you did, even. Aside from the bright hair on top of his head, you don't think he looks very much like you.

"He's nice," is what you say, but you don't know if you really mean it. It's more for Alicent, who is watching you from over on the bed. She looks very tired. If you said something less kind, she may cry.

Alicent smiles. "Thank you, Princess. Nurse—bring him to me, please."

She doesn't mean Brella. There is another woman here, Gwenys, who Lord Hightower and Septa Marlow assigned to help give Aegon milk and take care of him when Alicent cannot. Gwenys comes and picks up the baby, walking over to give him to Alicent. She rocks him in her arms which doesn't stop him from crying, but she still keeps on bouncing him softly. He is very unhappy.

Now that Alicent is holding Aegon, you know that she'll forget you are there. Ever since Papa told you and 'Nyra that he was in Alicent's belly, neither of them have had much time for you. It feels like all the people in the Keep—from Papa and Alicent and Lord Hightower to the servants and maids and stableboys—have been more excited for the baby than they ever were for you. The only person who has remembered you is 'Nyra, and so you are with her on most days. It sometimes makes you sad, because it really was very fun to play pretend that Alicent was your mama for a while, but 'Nyra says that it wasn't going to last, anyway.

"She is to have her own child to care for, now," she told you in the days after learning about the new baby. "You were good practice—but you aren't her blood, not really. Not like you and I. Her son will be born, and you'll be given to a nurse or a Septa to raise." When you cried, she bent down and wiped away your tears. "It doesn't make her a bad person," she said quietly. "But this is the way of the world, sister. Men and women, kings and queens... they all want sons. Us daughters must stick together, yes?"

'Nyra was right. At first, Alicent tried to keep pretending to be like your mama. But then, the baby made her very ill, so she stopped asking you to come to break your fast so you wouldn't have to see her being sick into the pail by her bed. Then, she spent so much time sleeping that she didn't have the energy to come outside with you, or to dance with you, and soon, the only time you would see her was at suppertime. Even that wasn't always. And now the baby is here, you don't think she will be going back to the way it used to be.

Maybe that is why he feels like such a stranger to you. At least with baby Baelon, you got to feel him kicking in Mama's tummy. Aegon wasn't here for so long, and then all of a sudden, he was. He is. You don't know him at all. He's just a baby, come to take your Papa and almost-Mama away from you like all the rest.

Brella's hand on your shoulder is what helps you walk towards the door, Alicent and Aegon staying in the room behind you. With your back turned, it's easier to pretend that Alicent is very sad by you leaving.

The more moons pass, the more faded Mama's face is in your memory. You try to hold onto the way her eyes would crinkle at the corners when she smiled, or how her hair would curl a bit like yours after her bath, or the way she'd smell like roses when she hugged you tight. It slips away, out of reach. Putting rose oil in your bath helps you, but only a little bit—and the longer that Mama is gone, the less you can remember of her.

Papa doesn't like to talk about her. When you ask him, he just spins the ring on his finger around and says, "Another time, perhaps." You know that 'another time' really means 'never'.

There is no one else in the Keep that really knew her like you and your family knew her, except 'Nyra. She tells you stories sometimes, but you don't ask a lot because she usually likes to tell the ones that have you in them. When she finishes, she always smiles and asks, "Do you remember?" You never can, and it leaves you feeling like someone has scooped out all your insides.

So, Mama fades, and becomes part of that place in your mind where the things that are being forgotten go. Even though you try and try and try, there is nothing that can stop the forgetting. One day, you think she might be nothing more than a quiet sort of sadness, like looking out the window at the rain and wondering why it makes your chest hurt so much.

Seeing Alicent with Aegon is the only thing that reminds you of her. Even though Alicent's hair is red where Mama's was silver, and Aegon is loud and angry where you are quiet and shy, the way that she kisses his cheeks or hums little songs under her breath to him makes you think of how Mama would do the same for you. He doesn't seem to be very happy when she does these things. If it were you in his place, you know you'd be better than him. You wish she'd realise that.

It seems like no time at all goes by when Alicent is with child again, meaning she's going to have another baby. If it is anything like Aegon, you do not think you'll like it very much. Sometimes, you feel very naughty for it, but you cannot help how he makes you feel. All he wants to do is make a fuss and take everyone's attention, and he keeps crying and being naughty even as Alicent's belly grows bigger and bigger with your new brother or sister.

When Helaena is born, Papa and Lord Hightower aren't as pleased as they were with Aegon. You can tell because, while they are both in the room when you come to meet her, neither one is looking at her as she lays in the cradle. They had both been looking down at Aegon last time. You think it is because Helaena is a girl, like you and 'Nyra. You decide that you have to love her if they won't.

She is a quiet baby, but so still that it makes Gwenys worry and worry, even though all she is doing is lying in her cradle and staring straight up. Maybe she knows how rude her big brother is, you think, and she wants to do and be all the things he isn't.

You weren't allowed to hold Aegon because he was so disagreeable, which means he would probably have screamed and cried if you did. He still screams and cries, which is why Alicent has to spend all her days with him even though she's just had a second baby, so Helaena is by herself with Gwenys most hours.

Helaena isn't like Aegon. This time, Gwenys has you sit in a chair with a pillow under your arm and brings the baby to you. "Mind her head," she says, tugging your arm forward so that Helaena fits nicely in your arms. "There we go."

She is a big baby, round and heavy and warm, but you don't mind because she gazes up at you with large blue eyes that look like they might turn purple when she gets older. The hairs she has on her head—and there aren't many, not like Aegon had—are silver, and you know that she will look very much like you when she has grown more. When you stroke a finger over the skin on her hand, her whole fist grabs onto it, strong even though she is so young. It's like she knows who you are, even without any words being said.

You wonder if this is how 'Nyra felt when she met you—a burning that tingles all through your arms and legs, not in a way that hurts, no, but in a way that makes you want to squeeze tight and never let go.

Helaena doesn't cry. She falls asleep while you're holding her, her face turned into you so that you can feel her tiny breaths through your dress. It is special and warm and love-feeling like Alicent used to be, like Mama was when she was not-dead. The hurt goes far away, still there but not so much, not so heavy in your chest.

For a little while, the sadness—of forgetting Mama, of being forgotten by so many others—fades away, too.

When you are five summers old, you have to say goodbye to Brella.

All the while you are breaking your fast, she looks like she is about to start crying. Even though you wonder why, you don't ask. When someone cries, it means that something bad has happened. So much bad has already happened, and you don't know if you want to hear any more. You eat in quiet, scooping porridge into your mouth while the sound of sniffles fills the room. The taste of honey would make you feel happy, but not when Brella is so upset. Your food sinks to the bottom of your belly like one of the hot bricks you sometimes get under your blankets when it's very cold at night, only there's nothing nice about it. It's hard and rough and makes you feel sick.

After you have finished every bite—you have to eat all of it, or you don't get to play—Brella takes you by the hand and leads you to the chair. "There is... there is something I have to tell you," she says, slow and shaky.

I don't want to know. I don't want to know. I don't want to know. You wish that you were like 'Nyra, that you could say the words out loud—but you cannot. You don't want to know, but you say nothing, and you wait for whatever bad thing is coming to show itself.

"I..." Brella swallows and looks down at your hands, still holding onto each other even though you are sitting and there is no need. "Tell me again how old you are, Princess."

"Five summers." It's a very small number, but you are still proud because you're almost a big girl now.

Brella laughs, nodding. "That's right. Five. My goodness. How time flies!"

You find that silly. Time doesn't fly. It isn't a thing-you-can-touch, and only things-you-can-touch can fly, like dragons or birds or insects. Still, you try not to show your thinking on your face as Brella squeezes your hand tighter.

"Being five summers old is a very important milestone when you're a prince or princess," she says. "Do you know why?"

"No," you say. "Why?"

Here, she stops. "It... It means—gods, I don't know if I can say it."

"Well, then. It appears that I must," comes a voice from the door.

You turn. Septa Marlow stands with her hands joined in front of her, her mouth pinched into a line so small it is like it has disappeared from her face. Her grey wimple makes her skin look just as colourless. She steps forward, and the sound of her shoes touching the ground seems as loud as thunder.

"You are of an age to begin your lessons, Princess. Thus, it is time for your nurse"—she looks at Brella and her lip curls, though you cannot tell if she's happy or angry—"to depart, and for me to take over your care."

The sick feeling gets worse, and you wonder if you might bring up all your food from how bad the pains are in your belly. "But—but Brella will still stay, though? For Aegon and Helaena?"

Septa Marlow huffs. "There is no need, silly child. Their nurse has already been appointed, and Gwenys will suffice for any future children borne by the Queen. Brella is to collect her things and return to the Vale."

Brella has taught you some of the places on the map that shows Papa's kingdom. You live in King's Landing, which is in the Crownlands, and it is at the bottom of the map. The Vale is where Mother—Mother, not Mama, Mama is for babies and I am not a baby anymore, you have to keep telling yourself—came from, that it is a bit up and to the side from the Crownlands. It isn't that far in the drawings, but Brella says that maps show a smaller picture of what is really a very, very long distance.

If Brella has to return to the Vale, it means she will be very, very far away.

You think you might be frozen, like ice. You cannot say anything. All that you can think, over and over, is no, no, no, please, not Brella, no, no, no. The fire-burn of tears warms behind your eyes, but you know that you cannot let Septa see you cry. She'll think you are weak.

Brella sniffles. "I can write to you," she says, pulling you closer to her. "And, when you're old enough, you can write to me. How about that?"

You nod, but her words don't make you feel better. Paper isn't the same as a person, not really. Even if she puts letters on paper and sends them to you, it won't be like one of her hugs or the way she laughs when you miss a dance step or fall over in the grass. It won't smell like her or look like her. It won't make you feel safe like she does.

She will turn not-real like Mother. Only, maybe it is worse—because you'll know that, somewhere a long way away from you, she will be real, but that you cannot have her anymore.

"I don't want you to go," is what you say, but it comes out like a whisper, not strong like you wanted it to.

"I know, my darling," Brella says, hugging you tight so that you can feel her heart beating through her skin and yours. "I know, and I'm so sorry—"

"If you could unhand my charge, Nurse." Septa's eyebrow is raised. "Although—now that it occurs to me—'nurse' is no longer the appropriate moniker, is it?"

Brella glares at her. "There's no need to be so—"

"Your time here is at an end." Even though she looks like she's trying not to show her feelings on her face, Septa lifts her chin in the air like 'Nyra used to when she would win at cyvasse against Alicent. "Say your goodbyes."

"What—here? Now?" Brella's mouth is open like she's very surprised. "I'd thought the Princess would be coming to see me off at the harb—"

"That is not a good idea. She is too... attached." Septa says it like it is a curse. "A public display of histrionics does not a respectable Princess make, no matter her juvenility." You have no idea what most of these words mean, but the way they make Brella sink in her seat cannot be a good thing.

She tucks your hair behind your ears as she looks down at you, her eyes wet. "Be good," she says, very soft so that Septa cannot hear them well. "Make sure you write to me, yes?"

She brushes her thumbs over your cheeks—out, in, out, in—the way she does when she really means 'I love you'.

"Please stay," you whisper, trying not to let your lower lip wobble like it wants to so badly. "Please don't go."

Brella hugs you again, her whole body shaking. Your face is smushed up against her shoulder, the smell of her herness filling your nose with so much warm. You wonder if, by clinging on tight, you can stop her from leaving. She cannot leave. She is what you have left now that Mam—Mother is gone, now that Papa has Alicent and 'Nyra has Papa and Uncle has his war somewhere away from you. She cannot leave. She cannot.

It feels like she has been holding on for forever and also for no time at all when she lets go, stands up, and walks away without a word. The door shuts.

She didn't even say goodbye.

Is it worse or better, watching her go away? you wonder through the cold that settles in your body, in your arms and legs, the sharpness of it so much that you feel like shivering even though the sun is shining hot outside. You never saw Mother die. She was here, and then she wasn't. But you have to watch Brella leave, knowing there is nothing you can do to stop it all the while.

"Dry your tears, girl. 'Tis about time your coddling came to an end." Septa pulls you by the shoulder off the chair. Her hand doesn't feel warm like Brella's does. Her stare—fixed on you—travels up and down, her mouth crinkling at the corner like she is thinking about something. "Why she was allowed to linger past your name day, I will never understand."

You cannot think of anything to say, so you keep quiet. It doesn't seem to make Septa like you any more than she did before, which you don't think was very much. The tears keep falling, though you try and try to make them disappear.

"Now," she says, clapping her hands sharply. The loudness of the noise makes you jump. Teardrops shake onto your dress. "We have a long day ahead of us. The Queen has requested an update on your progress, so you will be learning no less than three hymns before the end of the sennight. I should like to provide her with"—she looks you up and down again, and this time it seems like she is thinking something unkind about you—"some indication that you will shape up to be a lady of high standing."

I'm a Princess, not a lady, you want to say. You don't.

Septa begins striding away, then stops and turns around to face you. "I expect you to follow when I walk, and to acknowledge me when I speak by saying 'Yes, Septa Marlow'." She almost spits the words at you. "Understood?"

"Yes, Septa Marlow." It doesn't sound as strong or as clear as when she said it. You wish you could sound less afraid. Still, she seems to find it good enough. She says nothing afterward, just waits for you to trail along after her.

"Hmph." She clicks her tongue. Staring down at you again, she adds, "And stand up straight."

You do as you're told.

Septa Marlow is as frightfully mean as you always feared.

One thing you learn quickly is that everything you do and say is wrong. When you laugh, it is too 'unbecoming'; when you smile, you show too much teeth; when you walk, you are too hunched over; when you eat, you are too 'gluttonous'. You're a 'simpleton' when you ask to play with your dolls, so they sit at the foot of your bed slowly being covered by dust; you're 'graceless' when you try to dance, so you practice after you have been put to bed to try and get better before each morning; you're 'impertinent' when you say what you're thinking instead of keeping it to yourself, so you learn to let your thoughts stay inside your head. There is little that she doesn't pick on and tell you that you need to change.

"Use full words, please!" she says whenever you forget to speak in the proper way that she expects. She always raps her willow switch on the table in front of you after that. Lucky for you, she has not yet used it to hurt you. "It is 'does not', not 'doesn't'. There is no need to employ such low-class mannerisms as a lady of your standing!"

"Yes, Septa Marlow." There is no point trying to tell her that she's wrong.

It isn't all bad, though. Having Septa Marlow take over means that you are now expected to learn all sorts of things, and a lot of it is very interesting. New words, new Houses, new hymns, new dances—you start to learn how to sew, how to put letters together to read them, how to count numbers and add and take them away to make different numbers. Septa says that there are so many things a noblewoman like you needs to be able to do by the time she is ready to be married, so that she can run her husband's household and take care of him and her future children. That is a long time from now, but practice makes perfect.

The only time you are not with Septa is when you are with your family, like today.

Because Aegon has lived past being a baby—and Septa says that babies die a lot from the weather or from being sick or from being fed too much or too little or sometimes for no reason at all—Papa has announced that everyone must go on a hunt to celebrate his name day. You have to sit in the wheelhouse with he and Alicent and 'Nyra and Aegon and three other nurses, but not Helaena. She's only a baby still, so she must stay in the Keep with Gwenys.

It is not a very fun ride. Being in a wheelhouse with them all means putting 'Nyra very close to Alicent, whose belly has grown big with a baby again. Lots of people have lots to say about how many babies Alicent has had since she married Papa, and most of it is not very nice towards your mother. She could only have two girls, and it took her a long time to have you after 'Nyra.

Papa thinks there is another boy in Alicent's belly. You hope not. Aegon is loud and rude. You think it might be worse if there were two of him instead of just one.

"...whole of our family off to celebration and adventure in the Kingswood," Papa is saying. You swing your legs back and forth, though you must stop each time you roll over a big bump in the road. You stay quiet, because Septa says a lady does not talk unless she is asked a question.

A very big bump in the road makes Alicent's smile fall from her face.

"Should you be travelling in such condition?" 'Nyra asks. She sounds worried, even though she is no longer friends with Alicent.

"The maester said that being out in nature would do me well," is what Alicent says back.

Papa starts talking while he finishes giving Aegon a sip from his cup. You wonder if it's wine. "Well, you will be with your own child sooner than late, and make me a proud grandsire." He is smiling, perhaps at the thought of it.

'No, I will not,' the look on 'Nyra's face seems to say. You cannot help but agree with her. Having babies seems like such a tiring thing to do.

"It's not so bad." Alicent has to speak louder to be heard over the rattling of the wheels and the hoofbeats of the horses. "The days are long, but Aegon came quickly and without fuss. Helaena, too."

The nurse who is holding Aegon in her lap—Delia, you think her name is—waves a toy dragon in front of him. He smacks at it with his hands, frowning. You would never treat your toys like that.

"You should ride out with me today," Papa says to 'Nyra. "Join in the chase, while you"—his eyes go to you—"sit about with your lady stepmother. Hm?"

"Okay, Papa," you say quietly. Proper ladies do what their fathers tell them to.

'Nyra's hand finds yours. "I'd rather not. The boars squeal like children when they're being slaughtered." From the way her fingers squeeze yours and her stare fixes on Aegon, you know she doesn't mean you when she says that. "I find it discomfiting."

"It's a hunt, Rhaenyra." Papa smiles. It is a careful sort of smile, not a happy one. Aegon's yell distracts him for a moment, but he is quick to return to speaking to 'Nyra. "How would you like to participate?" he asks her.

"I'd be leaving my sister alone with the vultures of the Realm," 'Nyra says, "so I'm not sure why I must."

Trying to understand what everyone means by what they say is very difficult—you aren't sure if she's saying that the ladies coming along are vultures, or if she's trying to say Alicent is. You don't even know what a vulture is, so you aren't sure if it is a bad or good thing to be.

"Because you are my eldest daughter. The Princess." Papa looks like he is finding it harder and harder to stop himself from telling 'Nyra off. "And you have duties."

"As I am ceaselessly reminded." Your sister says it softly, but it is easy enough for you to hear from your place next to her.

Papa doesn't, though. "I'm sorry?"

Instead of making up a lie or saying that she did not say anything at all, 'Nyra repeats herself louder. It is terribly rude, but you enjoy watching as you have always enjoyed watching her being brave against other people. "As I am ceaselessly reminded."

"You wouldn't need to be reminded if you ever attended to them."

"No one's here for me!"

Papa doesn't seem to know what to say to that. Neither does Alicent. They both just fall silent along with the nurses. Even Aegon stops making all his annoying noises, instead sitting so still that he could be sleeping if his eyes were not open.

You make sure to hold onto your sister's hand even tighter. If there is anyone in the whole world who does know what to say, it is you. If only you were brave enough.

I understand, 'Nyra, you want to say. No one's here for me, either. No one's ever here for me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.5K 1.1K 25
Daemon Targaryen learned from his own experience that being nice to your bastard daughter might be surprisingly beneficial. Even more so when she was...
743K 22.5K 111
The heart of a Targaryen was said to be one dipped in fire and blood. They ruled the skies with their dragons, danced through the flames of death and...
47.2K 1.3K 12
Daemon is eager for his daughter Visenya to grow up at court with her family in order to secure her royal station. Too late does he realize the conse...
246K 8.6K 35
The life of Saera Targaryen told in four acts. She was her father's forgotten daughter, cast aside as she looked nothing like her mother. Her younge...