Pike

Por GiveVoltronCPR

6 years ago, Lance was kidnapped without a clue to where he went. Team Voltron searched far and wide, with no... Más

6 Years Ago...
How It All Began
Decisions
Hiding
Doubt Comes In
Discovery
Inside Out
The Fall

The Dens

232 7 5
Por GiveVoltronCPR

A/N: Heyo y'all! This is it! The BIG PLOT POINT! I'm so excited for this one! For some context, this story has been playing in my head for weeks, with different events and twists and turns. This has been my entertainment for long car rides, bedtime wind-down activity, you name it. So, I have been working on it for a LONG time. I'm so happy to finally be putting it down! I hope y'all enjoy it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Hunk)

Hunk knew his friends were alright. Keith had great instincts, and if anything was wrong, he would have left. Pidge was smart, and would be able to catch on to any traps, he was sure. They had contacted them just that morning with an update: still travelling, 30 dobashes from the meet point. But they had no update since then. And, like most things, it made him nervous.

Hunk has always worried about others. If they were okay, if they were sad, if they were hungry. Especially the latter. At least that, he could fix. But he supposed that fear, that raw terror for his friends' safety, came after Lance disappeared.

He still, even after 6 years, laid awake at night wondering where he was. Hunk knew 100% Lance was alive somewhere. He knew the others were less sure, but still had the same feeling. How did he know? The others called it a "feeling", or "hope". He called it what it was: the paladin bond. Despite Allura becoming the blue paladin long ago, a part of the blue lion held on to Lance, missed him. Hunk knew that magical, inexplicable connection with Lance would disappear if he were dead. He also knew the connection was no longer one between paladin and lion, but more like old friends. He spent many a night with the blue lion, learning more about her, connecting to her relationship with Lance. He needed SOMETHING from his old friend. His search for him deepened his understanding of paladin spirits and bonds. And that was how he KNEW, for SURE, Lance was out there. He just wished he could figure out where.

And not knowing scared him.

Speaking of hanging out with the blue lion, he was doing just that when he heard the Garrison speakers sound above, calling him to the communications room. He practically ran, full of pure joy that his friends were calling, that they were (at least probably) alright.

As he rounded the door frame into the room, he was confronted with Pidge's face front and center on a monitor, Keith behind her, sharpening his Blade of Marmora knife.

"Pidge, Keith! You guys are alright!" he yelled, nearly jumping up and down with glee.

"Yeah, for now," Keith grumbled. 

Hunk saw Shiro's eyebrow lift in question. Pidge rolled her eyes in response.

"Drama queen. The Deathhawks have been planning this big takedown, and the best time to do it happens to be tonight. They need help though, and figure this is a good way to really secure this alliance. They seem confident that with the couple extra hands we can give, the mission will be a success," she explained.

"It sounds as though they wish to gauge how much assistance you can really provide in a high stakes situation, and how much our word really means," Allura added.

"Exactly. Keith's just grumpy because he's on the strike team. I'm on the rescue team."

"I'm not grumpy!" Keith defended.

"Sure, and I'm the Grand Duchess of the Bii Bohs." she attacked back, at which Hunk guffawed.

"But you guys will be safe, right?" he asked after the laughter died, anxiety creeping into his voice. Pidge smiled warmly and nodded.

"We'll be fine, Hunk, don't worry. We'll come back," she added knowingly.

Shiro smiled. "Stay safe out there, you two. Contact us when you return from the mission."

"We will," Keith returned. Then Pidge cut the connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Pidge)

The connection cut off, leaving her with a last look at Hunk's fearful face. She knew he had a lot of anxiety about the team after Lance disappeared. It hurt her to see him so afraid. Which was why she wasn't lying when she said she would be fine. She had to be, for him.

She turned to Keith, who had set down his knife and was now fastening his armor. 

"So, what did you hear earlier, before the briefing?" she inquired. Her curiosity was killing her, but she had set it aside to contact the team. With that distraction gone, it was now at the forefront of her thoughts.

Keith sighed, a puzzled look on his face. He paused in putting his armor on, thinking

"They had their masks off, so I could hear their voices a lot better. Captain Pike sounded... familiar. And he was talking to the other Deathhawks about "sucking it up" and "putting feelings aside". He said it was weird "seeing us again". I think we've met him before, but for the life of me I can't place where. It's like I've heard the voice, but it's different. I think that's what he may be hiding. I think he knows us."

"And he can't tell us he knows us, because that would reveal who he was?" Pidge ventured.

Realization dawned on Keith's face. "Yeah! I was wondering why he wouldn't just tell us, but I guess that makes sense."

Pidge thought for a minute. "Who have we met that might have been in the slave trades? Maybe an old galra prisoner?"

"I guess," Keith answered with a shrug, "it's not like we'll ever find out."

"True. Uhg, but it's going to drive me nuts!" she groaned back.

They heard a knock at their door, and Pidge opened it to find Dagger looking down at her.

"Birdie has a visual confirmation, Eravi has arrived for the fight. We leave in 5 dobashes." he said curtly, speeding away down the hall not a second later.

Pidge looked to Keith, who had just fastened the last of his armor plating. He grabbed his Marmora knife, picked up her helmet and handed it to her, and both walked out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Lance)

When Keith and Pidge walked into the hangar, Pike couldn't help feeling a twinge of fear for their safety. He knew how BAD these slave traders were, and he knew the paladins underestimated who they were up against. If it weren't for them needing the extra hands, he would have made them stay back with Star. Still, he was glad to have their help.

As they took off, Pike thought about the plan. He organized the task forces the way he did for a reason; and not just by skillset. Every part of him still saw her like a little sister, and he just couldn't put her where a firefight was imminent. Granted, he hated doing the same to Keith. But if anyone would come out on top of one, it would be the red paladin. 

The Dens were purposely close, just a few planets away. True to the name, The Dens were a network of underground tunnels on the planet Trazvir. As they approached, Dagger flipped a switch on the pod console. The holoshield shimmered beneath them, leading anyone below to believe there was nothing above but the vast expanse of sky. It wasn't the cloaking tech he'd known and loved with Voltron, but it made do. As long as they stayed high enough, they went unnoticed. After finding a landing spot close to The Dens, but far enough for the pod to remain hidden, they stepped silently off the craft.

"We've landed," Shadow whispered to Star over the comms.

"The service tunnels are almost directly to your left. Two guards, according to intel. Take them out and head down. When you get to a fork, split off and follow your maps to your targets."

"Thanks, Star. As soon as we hack the security, we'll send the feed to you, and you can keep us informed on visuals." Birdie said, pulling out her blaster. 

"10-4"

They silently headed in the direction of the tunnels. It wasn't long before they heard the familiar chatter of guards. Pike turned to Shadow, and gave her the signal. She jumped up and began slinking in the trees above the guards. Two silent swoops of her glowing purple katana left the guards dead on the floor, without any alarm raised. Dagger opened the service door, and the team began the long and winding descent down the stairs.

Just as Star predicted, they came to a fork in the passage, at the bottom of the stairs. Dagger pulled up the map, as did Shadow. With both teams ready, they split off to their respective targets.

With the map, Dagger guided Pike and Keith through the maze of tunnels. The needed a direct route to the VIP box in the stands, which was easy enough. The problem was doing so undetected. They were able to steer around most guards, but they killed the others before they could alert anyone. Finally, they reached the end of the service tunnels. Beyond the door they now stood at was a hallway, leading directly to the VIP box that Eravi was in.

Pike opened his comms. "Pike to Birdie, we got to the end of our side of the tunnels. Progress report?"

Her voice crackled back, "Pidge and I just finished breaking into the system, all three of us are making our way the end on our side. We're about 30 ticks from the door."

"I have visuals on the outside of both doors. Pike, you have three guards at the end of the hallway, but that's it. Birdie, your team is clear to exit, but watch your right. There are guards around the corner," Star sounded off.

Keith looked about ready to charge through the door and take the guards down, but Dagger tapped his shoulder. He gestured to a small smoke grenade in his hand. Pike looked to Keith, gave him the signal to wait, and nodded to Dagger. 

"We'll roll a smoke grenade under the door, make an ambush that way," Pike relayed to Star, "As soon as the rescue team reaches their door, we strike at once."

"Got it. Birdie, ETA?" Star asked.

"Just reached the door, ready when you are."

Pike looked to Dagger and Keith, counted down from 3 with his fingers, and whispered into his comms, "NOW."

Dagger released the grenade, and outside he heard coughing and gagging sounds. When the smoke was seeping back under the door, Pike knew it was time. They opened the door, and took down all three guards, albeit with some struggle. No doubt Eravi had his best men guarding his door. Well, second best. The very best would be with him.

And indeed they were.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Keith)

Keith didn't think he would ever see the cold efficiency of the Deathhawks matched by anyone else. They were lightning fast, and they killed without hesitation or mercy. He knew it was personal for them, of course, but it was scary besides.

So, when they walked into the room where Eravi was supposed to be, and both the Captain and his lieutenant hesitated, the hairs on his neck stood up.

The Unilu man turned around, a drink in his hand. Below them, beyond some glass, a fight was raging. Keith tried not to look, knowing it would be brutal. Instead he focused on the four burly guards surrouding Eravi. Then, the Unilu had the urge to speak, and calmly at that.

"Ah, you must be the famed Deathhawks! I've heard so MUCH about you! Oh, and a paladin of VOLTRON? How thrilling! Thank you so much for joining me!"

"Cut the chatter Eravi. This is over. The Dens are going down, and you along with them," Pike rumbled, his rifle replaced with a one-handed sword. Dagger's weapon was drawn as well, a glowing orange broadsword. Keith drew his sword, crouching defensively.

Eravi only laughed. "I've missed you in action! You know, they always said The Deathhawks were former slaves. Possibly from The Dens, even! I had an inkling I knew who exactly you were, but seeing you confirmed it. Does tonight bring back memories for you, Champion? It was your first fight after losing your leg. Betting was at an all time high. Everyone likes an underdog. But you lost, and thought dead. Until a security tape showed you faked it, releasing your cellmates on the way out. The human who beat the odds and escaped!"

Pike tensed, and Dagger growled. But Keith was lost in thought.

A human. A human who was lost in the slave trade, something Voltron had had no access to or information on before three days ago. A human who had known Team Voltron, who had some feelings he was setting aside about them. A human with a familiar voice.

The truth crashed into Keith like a thousand mountains. His breath hitched, and his gaze moved to the Captain on his left.

To Lance.

"I said cut it! I've had enough," Lance fired, and he charged Eravi and the first guard. Dagger follow behind, taking on two guards at once. The remaining guard was left to Keith. It was hard for him to focus in his fight, but he managed.

His opponent dove to his right, swinging a small knife through the air. He was a tough fighter, but Keith was better. He parried the attack, following up with a sweeping blow with his own blade. The fought back and forth for a while, parry for parry and jab for jab. Eventually, however, Keith's jumbled mind was his weakness.

He was distracted, thinking how his friend, the friend who had been lost right under his nose, was here all this time. And he never bothered to tell him or the rest of Team Voltron that he was alive. That's when his adversary took the upper hand. He knocked Keith back, sending him flying into a wall. He lifted his blade in defense, and it locked with the hilt of his enemy's knife.

He heard a yell, and Keith could see that Lance had finished his guard and turned to help him. Dagger had taken down an opponent already as well, working on the other. Lance left Eravi, streaming to his old friend. He knocked aside the guard and shot the alien without quarter. Lance glanced back at Keith, any expression hidden by his mask.

 Then there was the sound of a blaster, and a scream filled the empty air.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

100K 3.2K 32
The Galra turns his chin up again. "Why do you laugh, paladin of Voltron? Can you not see the odds have fallen undoubtedly in my favor?" As Lance wip...
46.1K 1K 21
Lance isn't what he seems, and years of training made him pretty good at hiding himself. That all goes down the drain when he and Pidge come across a...
93.3K 3.5K 56
"From all the things I pictured in my future life, nothing could have prepared me for this." --- When Lance forced you and the others to a night out...
177K 6.7K 19
~WARNING~ Mentions of injuries, violence, and possibly gory details ~ In the midst of battle, Blue ejects Lance as the Lion takes a heavy blow. Lance...