The Witch's Destiny || Thrand...

-aestheteyouth

Violet Potter has been at war for her entire life. It all started almost 27 years ago when Voldemort killed h... Еще

Cast
DISCLAIMER
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII

Chapter IX

2.6K 91 43
-aestheteyouth

If anyone was wondering, Authanar is Matthew Macfadyen in my mind, just all elfyfied. He and Lee Pace look quite a lot alike to me.

-

Legolas walked up the gates of the Elven-king's Halls, his home, dragging an unconscious being behind him. Looking to the guards, he commanded in Sindarin, "Tell my father I have brought a gift for him."

"Yes, my prince." The guard nodded behind him, gesturing to another guard, who immediately left to seek Thranduil out. Legolas walked into his home, dragging the foul creature behind him to the throne room. He knew his father would already be there by the time he arrived. Thranduil always was.

"Send a guard with some rope as well."

"Yes, my prince."

It was a shock to see his Uncle Authanar there, as well as Violet Potter. All three of them were dressed impeccably that day compared to the armor Legolas wore. Authanar looked every bit a Sindar elf in robes of forest green with gold stitching throughout, resembling branches. Dark brown leggings were on his legs with forest green boots covering his calves. Rings covered his fingers and a golden circlet sat on his brow. His father, by contrast, was in all black. A black tunic with long sleeves covered his upper body, stopping mid-thigh, with dark red stitching that made it seem as if he was covered in streams of blood every time he moved. Black leggings and shiny, black leather boots covered his legs and feet. His hands were covered in golden rings. On his head sat a golden crown of branches that covered his forehead, with twigs and red berries to secure it at the back of his head.

Violet was dressed in a cornflower blue dress, one of those that Legolas had quickly tailored for her. It was a relaxed fit, with cream colored stitching adorning the v-shaped neckline. The dress was sleeveless, but had a cape that attached to the dress, so her arms were covered regardless. The same cream stitching went around the trim of the cape and the bottom of the dress. Her hair was done in a rather messy half-up crown braid, evidence that she had done it herself. Violet had never been taught how to do her own hair, so she generally stuck to simple hairstyles, though Legolas had always seen her eyes light up when he would do his own hair before they went on their journey each morning. Attached to her hips was her specially made scabbard for her wand and sword, both weapons in them.

They were all standing on the platform below the Woodland Throne, watching as Legolas dragged the orc none too kindly across the stone of the pathways. The grimy head hit each stair as the prince walked up them, before dropping the creature at his side with a thud.

"Uncle," he said, nodding his head in respect. He turned to Violet, a large grin on his face. "Mae govannen, mellon nîn. You look very beautiful today."

"It's good to see you too, mellon nîn. Ci athae." Violet said, her own large grin in place and warmth coating her cheeks. Legolas's mouth fell open and his eyebrows shot up as he looked between the three.

"Where- How- When- You," he said, eyes narrowing on his father upon seeing the look on his face. It was one of someone immensely proud of themselves and what they've done.

"Me." King Thranduil's grin never diminished, never faded. It stayed firmly planted, teasing his son in the way only he could.

"Adar," He whined, before turning to his uncle, "Authanar!" The orc made a noise at his side, focusing his mind back to the task at hand. "Oh, orc."  He hauled the creature up once more, supporting his weight on one arm as he presented it in front of him to his father. "Father, our patrol was ambushed. The orcs and the spiders grow bolder every day."

"What were the numbers?" The Elven-king asked, masking his emotions with a serious face.

"Just a small group. No more than twenty. They are newly born, though. They were sloppy when they fought."

The orc gurgled, waking back up, before he began thrashing around in Legolas's arms. Legolas put his blade to the orc's neck, but it didn't help. On instinct, Violet drew her wand out, shooting a silent spell at the orc. He went stiff as a board with his arms seemingly glued to his sides and his legs snapping together. With a noise of fright, he fell backwards to the ground, hitting it with a loud thud.

Authanar's eyes went wide, though he tried to conceal it quickly. The Elven-king looked at Violet, raising an eyebrow.

"The Full Body-Bind Curse, also known as Petrificus Totalus. The only thing he can do right now is move his eyes," she said. She moved closer, turning her back to the orc, and consequently Legolas and Authanar. She put her left hand on his father's right shoulder and the king bent his head down closer to hers. Too low for the orc to hear, but loud enough for Legolas and Authanar, she whispered, "If he's new, then he's ignorant to what happens to captures. And he's obviously terrified right now. Push the git enough and he'll crack and tell us what he knows. Classic emotional manipulation."

King Thranduil's eyes widened as he looked to the witch by his side. He hadn't known her for very long, he'd admit, and he didn't know everything about her. He knew she would see her duty through. He knew she led an army before, and at an extremely young age too.

"Don't look so shocked, my king. This is war," she continued, turning around.

The elf schooled his features once more. "I am not shocked for the reason you think I am, Lady Violet. And I am well aware of the state of this world, thank you."

Violet raised her eyebrows and Legolas could see the all-familiar fire light in her eyes. She would turn this into a scuffle and a battle of wits, one that they did not have time for. He watched as his friend and father stared at each other, neither wanting to back down in the moment. Why was his father letting her challenge him? There was pressure at the prince's elbow, and he looked away from the pair with a lump in his throat.

Authanar decided to take charge in the moment, clearing his throat. King Thranduil and Violet both looked to Authanar, who gestured to the orc in front of him. 

The Elven-king looked Violet in the eyes and nodded, telling her that he trusted her decision. Legolas looked at his uncle, raising an eyebrow, mouthing 'when' while he nodded his head in the direction of his father and friend. Later, his uncle mouthed back.

The whole situation was a startling sight of familiarity between the two and it made Legolas's gut twist uncomfortably. He swallowed, steeling his face, feeling the eyes of his uncle on him. Thranduil had not had new friends since Galion came into their family. In particular, there had been no new females in the life of Thranduil since Tauriel came into their family. Even then, there was a distinct difference in the way his father treated Violet versus Tauriel.

Tauriel held the favor of the Elven-king, and had since the day he looked into her big green eyes when she was a mere ten years old, still physically the age of a three to four year old. He had taken her in after her parents died in an orc attack, feeling the same love for her that he felt for all his people. Quickly, that love developed into the love a father may feel for a daughter, though Tauriel was still kept at a farther distance than those closest to the king.

The show of friendship between Violet and his father was not unlike that of Tauriel and Thranduil. It was clear she held his favor. But, it was more than that.

Because it was also not unlike the interactions held between his father and mother.

And that scared Legolas much more than he would ever care to admit.

-

Violet left the paralyzing curse on the creature for as long as King Thranduil deemed necessary. They had agreed showing no mercy to the orc was the right path to take, for in the opposing situation, they would be shown none. The Elven-king held no love for orcs, that much was obvious, if the scowl on his face every time the creature crossed his eyesight was anything to go by. It left Violet wondering if there was more to the story of orcs and the king than them being part of the reason the elves were driven north.

Violet knelt beside the orc.

"Move your eyes twice to the left if you can understand me," she said in a low voice, looking at him. The orc moved his eyes twice to the right. "Your other left, you imbecile. Here's how this is going to work. If you want to live, you're going to do exactly as I say. One wrong move and it will be the end of you. Do we understand each other?" The orc moved his eyes twice to the left. She turned to Authanar and ordered, "Bind him."

Authanar looked to his older brother. King Thranduil looked his brother in the eyes as he said, "She has the authority here unless I say otherwise."

Authanar opened his mouth, but all that came out was a breath. He nodded, submitting to his king, while he and Legolas bound the orc's arms and legs together. Legolas held his knife under the chin of the foul creature, looking to his friend and father.

King Thranduil looked to Violet. "Undo the spell."

"A please wouldn't kill you," she grumbled. His gait loosened a bit, lips pressing together to avoid a smile, and he turned his head to the side for a moment. The witch moved forward, waving her wand in the movement of the counter curse.

Gurgling, the orc stayed still. King Thranduil stepped forward, holding his head high. His hands loosely held each other behind his back, chest puffed out. He walked with utter surety, tilting his head to the side as he looked at the creature. "What is your name?"

The orc quietened, tilting his head to the side as he looked at the elf. His forehead crinkled together, but he answered, hesitantly, "Gaglaugh."

"A fitting name for you," the Elven-king praised. The orc snarled, but his forehead was still crinkled. He tried thrashing a bit, but Legolas pushed the knife further under his chin. "Tell me... Gaglaugh... What did Sauron promise you in return for the desolation of Thorin Oakenshield? The Lonely Mountain? The dragon Smaug himself?"

"My master promises me everything." A shrieking sound came from him that gave Violet chills. "He would give me your head if I asked for it."

"Your master could not take my head even if he wanted. Nothing happens in my kingdom without my say so."

"My master will rule the world!" Gaglaugh yelled.

"He only rules the world if we let him," King Thranduil said, "He is only as strong as people are weak." 

Violet tilted her head to the side. "What happens to you if he loses? You will lose your head. Do you want to lose your head, Gaglaugh?"

"Do you want to lose yours, princess?" retorted the orc.

"No, but I won't be losing mine."

"How many orcs are there?" Authanar interrupted. He bounced on his feet lightly, hands wrung tightly behind his back. A smile was twitching at his face. The brothers had never looked more alike than in that moment. 

Upon first meeting, Violet would have never guessed Authanar and the Elven-king were brothers. Authanar had dark brown hair that existed somewhere between wavy and straight. He was shorter than his brother by less than half a head, but he was a little broader around the shoulders.

It was his face, Violet realized. Thranduil and Authanar shared the same angular face, with a sharp jawline, and full eyebrows to match. They shared the same ice blue eyes, regal and proud, yet they crinkled when they smiled.

Violet had only seen Authanar smile once. He didn't seem to do it in her presence.

The orc smiled a devilish smile, one that reminded Violet of Riddle on the day of the Final Battle. "We're born by the hundreds everyday."

"Then I will personally ensure you all die by the hundreds everyday," Legolas remarked, a sneer in place.

"Your world will burn. You will die. Your father will die. Your family will die!"

"Enough!" King Thranduil yelled in his native tongue, "Speak plainly, orc, or I will have your tongue."

"I've spoken plainly enough, elfling."

"Where are they born?" the Elven-king demanded.

The orc leaned forward. "The Hill of Sorcery. Dol Guldur!"

"Where else?"

"There is nowhere else!" The orc said.

"You're lying," Violet said. She leaned towards the orc, eyes alight with ire. The next moment was unprecedented.

Gaglaugh leaned forward, ripping himself out of Legolas's arms with pure might. The witch flung herself to the side in an attempt to protect herself, but when she felt teeth sink into where her arm and shoulder met.

The sound of metal on metal rang throughout the room. A clinking sound of a blade was heard on the stone floor, as well as the ripping of flesh. Violet pressed her hand over her shoulder, small amounts of blood staining the taffeta material of her dress around the wound.

Gurgling came from the orc as blood pooled at his neck, a shiny, silver dagger with a blue diamond hanging from the wound. Small pieces of Violet's flesh fell out of Gaglaugh's mouth, and he fell to the ground with laughter as he took his last breath.

All three elves were by her side at once. Violet grit her teeth as King Thranduil pried her hand away from the wound, her palm was covered in the small amounts of blood that was coming from the bite wound. She wasn't sure if it frightened her more that it could hurt so much and yet not bleed a lot. The pain was radiating around her left shoulder.

"You need to go to the healer's wing," he said. She nodded. "Keep your hand pressed there."

"But you just took my hand off my shoulder," she mumbled. The Elven-king gave her a flat look as he held her at the elbow.

"I had to be able to see it. So now, put it back," he instructed. She opened her mouth, but the elf shook his head. "Violet, not now."

He was worried, she realized. His brows were furrowed, and his eyes, oh, his eyes. They were the window to his soul. Maybe it was the pain, but Violet thought perhaps that she had never seen anything more beautiful.

"Violet, not now," she repeated. She angled her head as well as she could, assessing the wound. It was red and the top portion was worse than the bottom portion. Gaglaugh had kept his bite down as King Thranduil had shoved a dagger in his jugular. He didn't manage to totally tear her skin off as he was intending, but he certainly got where his rotten teeth had been.

"Your hand," he said. She nodded, pressing her hand to the wound. "Legolas, come with me. Authanar, take care of the orc."

"Thranduil, I feel a bit nauseous," she said, "But the area is starting to go numb, so that's nice." She turned to Legolas. "It really hurt before, Legolas."

"I'm sure, Violet," Legolas said. He was trying to stay calm, maybe for her sake, maybe for his own. However, his eyes were wide, in the same manner of his father. They made quick work down the hallways, though Violet was unsure why the king was holding her elbow. She wasn't near passing out.

"Do you two know that in my fifth year I had a teacher named Professor Umbridge? She was always wear bubblegum pink and make the most annoying noises every time she left somewhere. Her voice was squeaky in a grating sort of way and she looked like a frog. That woman was bloody insane.

"She enjoyed torturing kids and would use these things called blood quills on them. They didn't require ink to write, and their name is quite literal. Fred and George told me about this first year they found that had a detention with her. An eleven-year-old boy subjected to torture methods! I don't know how I quite managed to avoid a detention with her that year, but I did. Anyways, my point is, Gaglaugh reminded me of her, in a less intelligent and more ruthless sort of way. Good thing you stepped in, my lord. Don't want to know what my shoulder would look like if you had waited a few more seconds."

"You'd be looking at a much longer healing time," King Thranduil said, "Did your speech about that horrific woman help you come to?"

"It did," Violet said, "I can't believe that git bit me!"

"Yes, and let's hope his rotten teeth don't kill you!" Legolas said, mouth set in a line.

"That's dramatic."

"It really isn't. Do you know nothing about bite wounds? The area can get infected really easily and then this pain you're feeling won't feel like much!"

"Hey." She nudged him with her right elbow. "Thank you for worrying."

"You're my friend. Of course I worry," he said, smiling at her.

He opened the door to the healing ward, leaving her and his father in search of a healer. Violet allowed the Elven-king to lead her where to go. He looked down at her. "Do you still feel nauseous?"

"A little," she admitted. After leading her to a chair, he grabbed a bucket a few feet away. She grabbed it with the hand that she wasn't holding against her shoulder. He looked at the hair that hung over her shoulders.

"May I?" he asked.

"May you what?" Violet raised an eyebrow, but a smirk was tugging at the left side of her mouth as she angled her head to face him. He seemed to be miles away. He was tall, taller than Fred was, but not by much.

Fred.

It had been ten years since he died. Ten years and she still loved him. That would never change. She was sure King Thranduil knew the feeling.

He was so caring. They hadn't even known each other for a full month yet, and here he was, offering to hold her back in case she vomited from an orc bite. Legolas said he had a heart of gold, but he also called his father stern.

That much was true, she knew. Still, she didn't expect him to consider her a friend so quickly. She didn't expect to consider him a friend at all. 

"Do you truly find this time to be a joking matter?"

"From what I hear, it's a trait my father and I share." She turned her head back, setting her eyes on the bucket in front of her. She felt more nauseous, with this feeling of guilt tugging at her gut. "Yes, you may."

Fred.

They would still be together if he had lived, and yet here she was, fawning over another man. An immortal man, no less.

"You're insufferable," the Elven-king said.

Cool hands brushed over her neck tenderly, leaving goose bumps in their wake. He never touched her after his hands grabbed her hair, hand hovering over her back. When one arm grew tired, he would simply switch them, all without touching her.

It was maddening.

Legolas came back with a healer, and Thranduil didn't miss his son look between him and Violet who were both straight faced. He had no reason to. They were friends, and that was that.

This was Violet. A mortal woman. Someone who understood his pain on a deeper level. She wasn't his subject. He could allow himself a little indulgence and let it feel good for someone to understand.

It felt nice that someone spoke to him as if he wasn't a king. Someone that could outwit him if she really tried, but someone that he could outwit just as easily. He wasn't someone who made connections quickly, so he was going to savor that he had.

He was going to treasure their friendship.

-

Alright, I don't really like interrupting reading time with author's notes, but I have a few questions.

First question, is the relationship of Violet and Thranduil moving too fast? It didn't fit for them to be enemies, and they're too much alike and too logic driven to have arguments stick for very long. Still, I don't want them to seem like besties or lovers yet.

Second question, have I made Violet a Mary Sue? I want to showcase her flaws, because she does have them.

Third question, what do you think of Thranduil's characterization? I try to stay on character, but I didn't just use the movies as a source, so he doesn't just act... well... cold for most of the time?

If you answered these questions, thank you! These answers will help more than you know. Even if you didn't, thank you for even just reading the chapter.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

95.9K 2.2K 30
One fateful day, Keena Gredan never would have thought to meet 13 dwarves and a Grey Wizard in her hobbit hole where she lives with Bilbo Baggins. Th...
1.9K 89 22
Ida was never normal. She never understood herself. When she gets sent back home, a certain wizard is sure that the only way for her to return to h...
323K 13.1K 50
You have grown up under the care of Radagast the Brown, and on an errand to King Thranduil of Mirkwood you encounter Thorin Oakenshield's Company, th...
108K 2.7K 17
Summary: Ninfea Evanna Potter, the girl-who-lived, the chosen one has finally defeated the dark Lord Voldemort, however when she went to the Headmast...