The Double

Door suzyand_

How to turn your life upside down: ✅ Get fired by your gross and handsy boss ✅ Fail to do laundry (again) ✅ B... Meer

𝒪𝓃𝑒
𝒯𝓌𝑜
𝒯𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒
ℱ𝑜𝓊𝓇
ℱ𝒾𝓋𝑒
𝒮𝒾𝓍
𝒮𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃
ℰ𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉
𝒩𝒾𝓃𝑒
𝒯𝑒𝓃
ℰ𝓁𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃
𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓁𝓋𝑒
𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃
ℱ𝑜𝓊𝓇𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃
ℱ𝒾𝒻𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃
𝒮𝒾𝓍𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃
𝒮𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃
ℰ𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃
𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎
𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒪𝓃𝑒
𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒯𝓌𝑜
𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒯𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒
𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-ℱ𝑜𝓊𝓇
𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-ℱ𝒾𝓋𝑒
𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒮𝒾𝓍
𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒮𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃
𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-ℰ𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉
𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒩𝒾𝓃𝑒
𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎
𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝒪𝓃𝑒
𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝒯𝓌𝑜
𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝒯𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒
𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-ℱ𝑜𝓊𝓇
𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-ℱ𝒾𝓋𝑒
𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝒮𝒾𝓍
𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝒮𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃
𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-ℰ𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉
𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝒩𝒾𝓃𝑒
ℱ𝑜𝓇𝓉𝓎
ℱ𝑜𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝒪𝓃𝑒 (𝒻𝒾𝓃𝒶𝓁)

𝒩𝒾𝓃𝑒𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃

9 1 0
Door suzyand_

I make an effort with Duna. I'm not comfortable talking to her about her mental health straight on, but one night when she comes over, I mention that I forgot to take my medication and let her see me swallow a pill.

"Are you sick?" she asks with concern.

I try to respond casually. "I have depression and panic attacks. These SSRIs help calm me down because they adjust my brain chemistry."

Her eyes widen. "What?"

"I've had it a long time, but I only started dealing with it a couple of years ago," I say. "It was hard for me to admit I needed help." Try excruciating, but I'm trying to make it sound easier for Duna, like this is something she can do."

She doesn't reply for a moment, then says, "I'd like to go for a walk."

I take the hint. "You should. Fresh air is good."

"I don't know the city very well. I get driven everywhere."

"Let's go together," I say suddenly. "We'll go to a shitty dive bar where no one will expect ou. You can wear my clothes."

She looks torn. "I'm not sure it's a good idea. Someone might get a photo."

I think. "What if we get ready and you take a look at yourself? We won't go unless you're comfortable."

Duna looks out at the dark night through the window. "It'll be hard to see my face on the street," she says as if convincing herself.

I pull a pair of jeans and a tank top out of my drawer. "Here."

She grins and walks away with the clothes. When she comes back fve minutes later, I have to laugh. She's added a belt, tied the shirt with a small knot, and added heels. She looks fantastic.

"Close." I shirt the shirt into a messy French stuck and give her a pair of my flat sandals and a hat. "No makeup."

"Not even lipstick?"

"Use this." It's a tinted lip balm.

When we stand side by side, we look almost like sisters, but there's no way an average person will mistake the slight ponytailed and bare-faced woman in the ball cap for a film star, at least not in Orange County. "Looks good to me," I say.

"Let's do it." She has a pink flush on her cheeks. "We'll wander around with a coffee from the Starbucks."

"I'll go down first and wait for you outside the lobby doors, just in case," I say. "The lobby's the worst part for people watching who's coming in and out."

Duna nods as she tales the little cross-body bag I give her. With my bangs covering most of my face and minimal makeup I look like no one in particular, so I walk through the lobby without an issue. Duna joins me and we hit the streets.

I decide to ditch the dive bar idea and take her up Anakiemm Street, which is only a few minutes from the hotel. I tap in our coffee orders for the mobile pickup, and soon Duna is living the dream of sipping a decaf Americano as she walks up a dirty sidewalk. Since it's summer, there are people milling around, and except for a guy who walks in front of us to say, "Hubba-hubba," Duna is thrilled to discover no one gives a shit who she is.

"What is it like for you back home?" I ask. "Can you walk around like this?"

She shakes her head so hard her hat falls off. "I have a driver and security."

"Even to go to the store?"

Duna waves her coffee at me. "I don't go to the store. It's not safe for me or people around me. I get mobbed."

"But not here."

She grins. "I'm not as popular here. It's a pleasure."

I try to imagine being this famous. "Do you like it."

"It's not a matter of like or not. It's what it is. I need to act because I wanted to be remembered for something, for this life to mean something." She shrugs. "I can do what I love and make money at it. How can I complain that I can't get coffee whenever I want?"

We pass a convenience store and Duna pauses to look at a sign promoting a sale on Trident. "Do you need some gum?" I ask.

She shakes her head. "I haven't chewed gum in years. My manager forbade it. it looks inelegant."

Imagine being forbidden a stick of Juicy Fruit. "Tonight's for you," I say. "Go crazy."

We duck in. I leave Duna deliberating over the candy display—how are there so many hum flavors in the world?—and look around. It's a big store, with a high-end cosmetics counter. I have all I need back at the hotel, but my eyes linger on the lipsticks. The last one I bought was the unflattering neutral I got for Garcia Brothers.

"Can I help you with something?" A sales associate comes over with a practiced smile.

"No, thanks. I'm only browsing."

"Of course. I'm right here if you need me."

She heads over to organize a shelf of concealers. In front of me are a shiny line of Lancôme in little black and rose gold cases. They look sleek and chic, and in the last row, on the far left, is a deep oxblood shade. It's darker and and edgier than the brighter reds I used to wear and I now wear as Duna, but I can't take my eyes off it.

"Excuse me." The woman turns back around at my call. "Sorry, can I get that lipstick?"

"Sure." She opens a wide drawer and grabs it. "I'll cash you out."

After I suffer a momentary heart attack because since when has lipstick cost fifty dollars, I join Duna at the front of the store where it looks like she's buying one of every gum on display. Not quite under-the-radar behavior but she's so happy I don't mention it.

My new purchase is tucked safely in my purse, a secret that gives me as much joy as Duna seems to be getting from the gum. It's such a small thing, that little tube in my purse, but it's soo big at the same time. It's mine.

Duna finishes scanning her items at the self-checkout. When we leave, she swings her bag like a kid with a new toy.

"Want some?" she asks, digging into the bag.

I hold up my coffee. "Later."

A roar comes from the crowd ahead; there's a convert at Anakiem-Walt Square. "Want to check it out?" I ask. It sounds fun.

Duna's face is longing but hesitant. "Will it be safe?"

"Sure. We'll stay on the edge so we don't get squished in the crowd."

This eases her concern. The music isn't crazy loud, and on the edges, people are dancing and smoking. Duna stares around with wide eyes. Most of the people are in their twenties and they cover all styles. "Everyone is different," she marvels. "The crowd is so small."

I try to see it from her perspective. "How many people live in Seoul?"

"Over nine million."

About two times the size of Orange County. I can't even comprehend how big that is. There's a churro truck nearby, so I grab a couple. We get covered in sugar, lick dulce de leche off our fingers, and shout out the chorus to the song, or at least what we think are the words. It's fun until I pull out my phone to check the time and see a row of increasingly frantic texts from Taehyung.

Where are you?
Are you with Duna?

Then variations on this for the last hour. He must have come by right after we left. The final message sounds like he's about to call the police so I shoot him a quick reply.

We're on a walk. All good.

The set ends and people cheer. Duna turns to me with shining eyes, hardly looking a day over twenty. "That was amazing."

Anakiem Street's now packed with the dispersing crowd, some yelling out the lyrics in a call-and-response that echoes up the streets so I lead her over to Walt Road and then down through Nathan Kriss Square, where we walk up the winding concrete path to the green roof. It's locked so we can't go in, but we stand on the city hall balcony and hang our hands over the edge, the concrete rough under our arms. "I'd forgotten what it was like to be around people enjoying their lives," she says.

"what about when you go home?"

She snorts. "My father's life at his work. I might as well be at my own place."

"Surely you have friends." Actors are people, for crying out loud.

"All actors or in the industry." She runs her hands over her arms. "We can't escape each other. All of my friends I made in school . . . I fell out of touch with them."

"What about Mingyu, the guy you had a crush on?"

"Only a small crush. Him, too, and it's hard to meet new people. I don't know what they want from me, and I work so much I can't give them the time they deserve." She speaks matter-of-factly and then glances at the dark sky. "We should head back."

I check my phone and see I missed a text from Taehyung. Can I join you?

Damn, he must be really worried about Duna if he's willing to be seen with both of us. I shove down the wistful thought of him worrying about me one day and type out a response. We're on our way back now.

We walk by the fountain pool and are almost near the street our hotel when I say, "Why don't you email him?"

"Who?" Duna is looking curiously at her reflection in the dark window. "I don't look like me at all."

"Namjoon."

She shrugs. "Why? Another person to ignore for my career?"

I'm no therapist but I power on. "It could be that. Or you might find someone to talk to."

"That doesn't work out for me." She sounds defeated. "I need to be alone too much."

I won't fight her on it, not wanting to wreck the vibe tonight, so I tell her about an epically bad holiday party I endured at a restaurant as we pass it. "No one knew the drinks were doubles and the CEO did a cancan dance on the bar. People were making out all over the place."

Duna's holding her stomach, wheezing with laughter. "Then what?"

"The CEO slipped in the guacamole and put his back out. Didn't come to work for a week, but the next day, we got an all-staff email about no more alcohol at company parties." I pause. "Wo of the couples making out got married, though."

We giggle in intermittent bursts all the way to the hotel. Duna goes up first as I hit a convenience store to grab some chips. The churros whet my appetite and I want to balance the sweet with salt.

A knock on the door comes after we get in, and I open it to reveal Taehyung. He looks serious but when he sees Duna, all the tensions melts out of him. He comes in and rummages in the fridge for a beer. "Did you have fun?"

Duna chatters to him in Korean as I open the chips and take the beer Taehyung holds out for me. I guess he's forgiven me because he smiles as he takes the chips I pass over to him. It's a good night, I congratulate myself, looking at Duna. She has gum. I have my Dior.

We're both happy.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

12.9K 859 15
[On Revisi] kim sejeong adalah seorang bad girl disekolah tersebut.merokok,meminum sudah merupakan kebiasan sejeong. oh sehun seorang ketos,yg dituga...
397K 19.3K 62
"𝐆𝐮𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐚 𝐂𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐬𝐞𝐚 𝐢𝐭𝐮 𝐜𝐮𝐦𝐚 𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧, 𝐠𝐚𝐤 𝐥𝐞𝐛𝐢𝐡." -𝐀𝐫𝐯𝐢𝐧 𝐏𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐩𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐚 "𝐒𝐞𝐛𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐲𝐚 𝐬𝐚𝐥...
299K 22.9K 104
"Jadi, saya jatuh dan cinta sendirian ya?" Disclaimer! Ini fiksi nggak ada sangkut pautnya di dunia nyata, tolong bijak dalam membaca dan berkomentar...
1.2K 275 5
"Aku sudah menarik diriku agar tidak mengganggu mu." ---Yerin Freja "Berpisah karena kesalahpahaman, ini kesalahan ku tapi aku jamin aku tidak sepenu...