Icy Protector

De Bookreader100100

There are those who are good and those who are evil. Some though are neither good nor evil but a mix of both... Mai multe

1| The Tiger
2| Entrance Exam
4| It's been a while, Akutagawa
5| Rampo on the Job

3| Atsushi's First Job

0 0 0
De Bookreader100100

"I am so sorry!" Tanizaki says at the table behind us.

Dazai, Kunikida, and I are sitting at the counter in the agency's favorite restaurant.

"Huh?" Atsushi says confused.

"Even though it was a test, I still feel horrible about it."

"No, it's fine," Atsushi says.

"What are you apologizing for? It's part of the job Tanizaki," Kunikida says.

"You also had to participate," Dazai says mockingly.

"Because you made me!"

"You lost a rock paper scissors."

"Anyways, ignore Dazai right now," I say. "Now that you are part of the Agency, you need to uphold its good reputation. Don't go around messing it up like Dazai."

"Hey!"

"Alright," Atsushi says.

"We will be watching over you," Kunikida says. "Right Dazai?"

"If I asked that waitress over there, 'Because I want to die, please strangle my neck," I wonder what she would say?"

"Kinky," I say. "Can't blame you though, Dazai."

Dazai laughs and Kunikida says, "Shut up! You two are always like this! Stop encouraging him Bellatrix!"

"Fine. Not again," I say noticing that Naomi is sticking her arm up Tanizaki's shirt.

"Uhh," Atsushi says confused.

"Just ignore it," Kunikida says.

"Okay. What did you guys do before joining the detective agency?"

"What do you think?" Dazai asks.

"This is what we do when we get a newcomer. They try to guess our previous profession," I say.

"Tanizaki and his sister are or were students," Atsushi says.

"That's right!" Tanizaki says.

"How did you know?" Naomi asks.

"Well, Naomi, you are wearing a uniform. And as for Tanizaki, he seems like he's around your age."

"What about Kunikida?" Dazai asks.

"Stop, don't bring that up."

"Government official?"

"What a pity. You got it wrong. Kunikida here was actually a math teacher," I say.

"Really?"

"It's in the past, I don't want to remember it."

"How about us then?" Dazai asks.

"It's no use kid," Kinikida says. "Their former occupations are still a mystery to those of us at the agency."

"Wasn't there a prize for the first person to guess correctly?" Tanizaki asks.

"Yes," I say. "Since no one has guessed it, the price has skyrocketed."

"I guessed that Dazai was a type of criminal, but he said I was wrong. Makes sense since criminals are hard-working. Dazai, hard-working? That'll never happen. I also guessed if Bellatrix was a doctor and she said she wasn't. It would make sense though since she knows so many medical procedures."

"I was never a doctor. It was my father who taught me all of it."

"So your father was a doctor?"

"Yes. We aren't close anymore. Anyways, I know you need money Atsushi."

"How much is the prize?"

"700,000 yen," Dazai says.

"So whoever guesses right, gets all of it?"

"Correct. Quiz time! What do you think our job was?"

"Researcher?"

"Wrong!" Dazai and I say at the same time.

"Factory worker?"

"Wrong!"

"Writer?"

"Wrong!"

"Actor?"

"Wrong!"

"Modle?"

"No, but I'm flattered that you think we're good-looking enough for that," I say.

"So you guys were either jobless or homeless," Kunikida says.

"We would never lie about this," Dazai says. "Do you give up? If you do, here's the bill."

Tanizaki gets a phone call and answers it. After he's done, he says, "We have a request at the agency."

"Alright, fun's over," I say. "We need to get back to work."

We get to the office and find a blond lady in a black suit, waiting for us. We all come over to her. Tanizaki sits on the couch with Atsushi.

"So you have a request for an investigation, right?" Tanizaki asks.

Dazai goes over to the lady and grabs her hand, getting on his knee.

"Beautiful," Dazai says. "As bold as a water lily, sweet as a princess. Would you like to commit a lover's suicide with me?"

I notice that Dazai has put a listening device in her pocket.

"Huh?" the lady asks in shock.

"Sorry, please forget that," Kunikida says slapping Dazai on the head.

As Kunikida takes Dazai into the computer room, the lady says, "I had said that it was quite a request, right? Recently, there have been shady-looking people hanging out around the back of our building."

"Some shady-looking people you say?" Tanizaki asks.

"I don't know much about them, but they dress in rags, walk in the shadows, and are always speaking in a foreign language."

"That sounds like a smuggler," Kunikida says exiting the computer room and shutting the door. "No matter how much the police crackdown on them, they always appear like roaches. That's a consequence of being in a port city."

"That's true. If there's any evidence of smugglers, I will take it to the police. That's why..."

"So you want us to find evidence for you?" I ask.

"Atsushi, you're going. Take Tanizaki with you," Kunikida says.

"Why?" Atsushi asks.

"Smugglers are quite common criminals," I say. "They aren't that dangerous. It's an easy first job for you."

"If big brother is going, then I am too!" Naomi says hugging Tanizaki.

"Before you leave, may I please have your name?" I ask the lady. "We need it so it's on file with the case."

"I'm Higuchi Ichiyō. Thank you for taking the time to help with the investigation," Higuchi says as she starts to exit the office.

"We will do our best to find evidence for you," I say.

After Higuchi leaves, we start to pack a bag for Atsushi.

"Atsushi, do you know how to use a gun?" I ask.

"No."

"Alright. Tanizaki, carry a gun on you. Rather be prepared. Also, as this is your first assignment, I would like you to have this listening device on you. You don't have to. It would make me feel better though as you are now my apprentice," I say holding a listening device.

"Fine," Atsushi says grabbing it and putting it in his pocket.

"Thank you."

"Kid," Kunikida says holding a picture of Akutagawa. "If you want to survive in this city, make sure to avoid this man. If you ever meet him, run."

"And this is?"

"Someone in the mafia," Dazai says.

"We know nothing about him except that he is an ability user. He specializes in slaughtering. The police can't even stop him," I say.

After they leave, I connect my headphones to the listening device and put them on. Dazai does the same. I put my gun in my holster.

"That's right. This was all a trap. My targets, are you guys," I hear Higuchi say.

Dazai and I look at each other.

"Time to go," I say, grabbing my bag and dagger.

Dazai and I rush out of the office and head off.

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

431K 10.9K 60
Lady Florence Huntingdon, daughter of the well-known and more importantly, well-respected Earl and Countess Huntingdon is stepping into the 1813 marr...
202K 5.9K 71
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
1.1M 35.8K 62
𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
1M 40.2K 93
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...