catgirl ! crushed (nightwing)...

De lucyluhvs

3rd book in the main catgirl series ─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── summary: After things g... Mais

«intro»
«prologue»
«chapter one: a new team»
«chapter two: run-ins and rescues»
«chapter three: keeping the peace»
«chapter four: santa prisca»
«chapter five: companions»
«chapter six: shadows»
«chapter seven: questions»
«chapter eight: friends»
«chapter nine: trust»
«chapter ten: the circus»
«chapter eleven: what now»
«chapter twelve: the past»
«chapter thirteen: the team»
«chapter fourteen: thanksgiving»
«chapter fifteen: bad ideas»
«chapter sixteen: brooke's plan»
«chapter seventeen: meta-brawl»
«chapter eighteen: anti-life equation»
«chapter nineteen: family annoyances»
«chapter twenty: getting under someone's skin»
«chapter twenty-one: memories»
«chapter twenty-two: anti-life»
«chapter twenty-three: bedlam»
«chapter twenty-four: revision»
«chapter twenty-five: starting over»
«chapter twenty-seven: more problems»
«chapter twenty-eight: one of ours»
«chapter twenty-nine: a caged cat sings»
«chapter thirty: complications»
«chapter thirty-one: game night»
«chapter thirty-two: rescue and search»
«chapter thirty-three: date night?»
«chapter thirty-four: ego and superego»
«chapter thirty-five: zenith and abyss»
«chapter thirty-six: over and out»
«chapter thirty-seven: back in gotham»
«chapter thirty-eight: consequences»
«chapter thirty-nine: waking up»
«chapter forty: making moves»
«chapter forty-one: getting him back»
«chapter forty-two: going after him»
«chapter forty-three: empty threats»
«chapter forty-four: slipping away»

«chapter twenty-six: a celebration»

1.2K 49 72
De lucyluhvs

___________________

___________________

BROOKLYN'S POV

I hear her voice before I see her, stopping behind the wall of her lecture hall.

"I'm freaking out, Wally!" She exclaims, and I hear the sounds of papers ruffing.

"Babe, it's going to be okay-"

"My TA got switched on me and you are telling me it's okay?" She hisses at him and I can imagine him rubbing his neck at that. I smile lightly as I keep listening to her situation. "And the new one is late! And all of the grades for last weeks essay should be in soon and I don't have them done." She rambles off.

"Okay, what is the new TA's name? Or their number, maybe I can call them," Wally tries to make it better.

"Umm... Katherine I think," Artemis says absentmindedly. "Did you see my lecture notes? The kids are going to be here any second."

"Where can I check for her information?" Wally asks.

"My computer, login to the school network," She tells him.

My shake my head and walk in, "So I take it by the panic in your voice that this is a bad time?" I ask, grinning at the two.

Artemis nearly drops her papers as she smiles at me, "Brooke! What are you doing here?"

"I'm happy to see you too," I laugh, making her huff out a breath, still smiling at me.

"Sorry, I m so ecstatic to see you, but why are you here?" She corrects a little sarcastically.

"I wanted to see my two favorite professors," I say, sitting on one of the desks, crossing my legs.

"Glad to hear that," Wally smiles at me, "But the Mrs. is pretty angry at the moment," He warns, pretending to whisper before going back to figuring out where the TA is.

"I just wanted to let you know I am living in Star City now," I inform them, making Artemis drop the papers this time.

"What?!" She asks, bending down to pick them up as she looks at me with wide eyes.

"I'm actually in an apartment a few blocks for you guys," I continue as I hop off the desk to help her pick the papers up.

"That's great!" Wally exclaims before muttering, "Now we just need Dick to move in."

I tense at the mention of him, my eyes falling to the papers. Artemis doesn't fall to notice this, shooting her husband a glare before looking at me sympathetically. "I take it you guys still haven't talked?"

"We are just friends," I say, my eyes suddenly finding the paper on the floor a lot more interesting, "For now and that's fine."

"Yeah as fine as aliens attacking eart-"

"I'm sure that it's nice being friends," Artemis cuts Wally's mumbling off.

Wally suddenly smiles as he looks at the computer, "Art," He says, "I found your TA," He tells her.

"Where is she?" Artemis asks, "I swear I'm giving her an ear full when-" Wally turns the computer, showing her my name printed underneath her's. She reads it a few times, her eyes lighting up. "Are you serious?" She asks as she looks at me.

"Deadly," I grin as she sets the paper down to hug me.

"Oh my gosh, this is going to be so much fun," She laughs, making me laugh too as I hug her back.

Wally closes the computer as students start to walk in. "I want to hear more about all of your life updates, Brookalious, but I've got to get to my own class." He tells us, kissing Artemis on the cheek and giving me a side hug before he leaves.

More students come in as Artemis gives the a run down and I start helping her with what she needs for the class.

I have a feeling during that first lecture as I watch her teach, that she is right. This will be fun.

______________

ARTEMIS' POV
(one month later)

I laugh as Brooke gets out of the car, winking at me when she does so because of the joke she said moments before.

"Thanks for the drive home," She smiles.

"Of course," I say, smiling at her, "And don't forget to get a lot of sleep tonight, because we are partying tomorrow, birthday girl!"

She looks at me in surprise, "I didn't think-"

"We would forget?" I ask, "We didn't forget last year."

"Last year was different. M'gann threw that party because she loves too, and it was really awkward," She points out.

It was, but only because it was right after Dick decided to be an idiot and just be friends with her. They didn't know how to act around each other, so they ended up trying to avoid each other the whole night. And when they did interact, it was painfully awkward. Because they don't know how to be just friends.

Wally and I have talked about it a lot, and Wally still grills Dick for answers. We don't understand, but we still have faith they will figure it out.

"Well, just because M'gann and Conner aren't here doesn't mean we become sucky friends," I defend, "We all still love you and are going to celebrate."

Her smile softens, and she nods. "I can't wait," She says before adding, "See you tomorrow!"

I say the same before she shuts the door and walks to her apartment. When I see her get in, I pull out and head home.

I smile as I think about the month we have had. She has been an amazing TA and her living so close has been so much fun. I do normally go on patrol with Dick, and she doesn't seem to mind, but sometimes we even go out together.

My car shuts off as I get out and close the door, walking to the house. I unlock it and push the door open before I stop in my tracks.

Dick, Wally, Will, and Kaldur turn to me, their eyes full of sadness. My heart drops, and my eyes meet Wally's. I know something is wrong just by the look he is giving me. By the look they are all giving me. I've been in this life long enough to know what that look means.

"Dick? Kaldur?" I ask, dread filling my body. "What is it?" I pause, swallowing before I say, "Who?"

No one is willing to answer, like my question has broken them. They all just stare at me in silence, until Will finally says, "Artemis... It's Conner."

I feel my heart stop beating for a moment as I try to comprehend what he just said. And when I do, tears spill from my eyes, Dick and Kaldur looking away, their eyes closing.

I feel like the air has been knocked out of my lungs, like I just got kicked in the chest. This can't be real. It's Conner... We just saw him a month ago.

My heart aches painfully as I look to Wally. He understands, and he is by me in a second, wrapping me in a hug. I wrap my arms around him, holding on tightly, trying to keep my head. Tears continue to fall, wetting Wally's shirt but he doesn't care as he holds on me to, tears in his own eyes.

I can't believe... I just...

"Brooke," I croak out, pulling back. I sniff, wiping my tears as I look to the others, "Brooke, she lives a few blocks away, now." I tell them, Dick looking up in surprise when I do. She needs to know. "Oh, my..." I shake my head my eyes brimming with tears, "It's her-"

"Her birthday tomorrow," Dick cuts me off, his eyes falling to the floor.

"I just dropped her off," I mutter, crying harder, "We have to tell her."

I promised her a celebration and now I have to tell her this. That we lost another friend.

"We are," Kaldur confirms, his voice weak as he lets out a breath. Dick and him must be the two tasked with telling everyone. They found out first. They have had more time to process. But now they have to watch us all unravel at the news.

"I can drive," Wally says after a moment, sniffing, his eyes red from him trying not to cry.

"I can stay with Lian," Will mutters lowly, his eyes betraying how hard this hit him.

It's hitting us all. Conner was supposed to be invincible. He was the Superboy. He was our friend. He was like a brother to us all. He was always there and now...

He was like my brother. He was always there for us. For me. He cared about us all and we cared about him. Hell, we were all supposed to be in his wedding in a few months. How...

Another tear falls down my face. Wally takes my hand, holding me for both of our comfort as we turn and walk out of the house.

______________

BROOKLYN'S POV

I look at my phone, seeing a text from Artemis asking if she can stop by for something. I send back a quick response, telling her to come on in when she gets her as I start making dinner for myself.

A few minutes later, I hear the door open.

"Did you forget to dump all of the papers to grade on m-" I cut off as I turn, seeing more people walk in than I was expecting.

Dick, Artemis, Wally, and Kaldur all look at me with expressions I've seen before. I know what they mean.

I don't realize I dropped my bowl until it shatters on the floor.

My heart starts to beat loudly in my ears as Artemis steps forward, Wally's hand on her shoulder.

"Brooke..." She says, her voice breaking. No. No, please. "Brooke," She tries again, her voice slightly stronger, "-it's Conner."

Tears fall down her face, the boy's gaze flickering to the floor as they try not to cry too.

I shake my head, fear setting in. This has to be some sick joke. It's Conner. He can't... He is Superboy, the one I don't have to go easy on in training, the one that can be crushed by a whole building and be okay...

He was the first person that ever trusted me on the team. And he protected me from then on. How could he...

"Brooke..." Dick mutters, his eyes on me, full of sadness. So much sadness and despair and desperation that I know that it has to be real.

Because the people that always seemed to have their lives together are all standing in front of me, looking broken. Absolutely lost.

A tear falls down my face, and I step back, trying to put some distance between me and the words they spoke.

Not again. I can't lose another...

Dick steps closer, and I hold his gaze, shaking my head, wanting him to tell me it isn't real. He doesn't though, he just gently grabs my wrist, pulling me into him. At first I try to fight it, I try to get away, until the weight of it all sinks in and I suddenly feel like I am drowning and he is the only thing holding me above water. My body falls against his, unable to fight anymore.

He wraps his arms tighter around me as I silently cry in his chest, my grip on his jacket tightening as I hold him to me.

"M'gann," I get out, making the tears fall faster.

I hear Artemis start to cry harder as she hears that. She knows what she is going through. She lost Wally for a period of time. She knows how it feels.

I was forced to believe that I killed Dick. In that moment, I felt nothing. Only numbness like my heart has been ripped out. Is that what she is feeling right now? Or is it worse than I ever could imagine?

Dick pulls away after a moment, his arm still wrapped around me for comfort. For his or mine, I'm not sure.

I hold onto him, feeling like I might fall if I let go.

Kaldur looks at me sadly, "I'm sorry you had to find out before..." He trails off. He doesn't want to draw attention to it, but he doesn't want to ignore it.

I realize then that Artemis and Wally are holding each other, and Dick hugged me, so I don't think as I let go of Dick and walk to Kaldur, hugging him.

His arms wrap around me after a second, and I feel his tension, the stress he is holding. He needs to be back home with Wyynde, with someone that knows how to make him feel better about this. Someone that can comfort him better than I can.

We pull apart and I turn back to Dick, my glass bowl being crushed under my feet. I look down at it, and bend down, trying to pick it up.

"Brooke-" Dick cuts himself off as he puts his hand on my shoulder, making me stop. The glass I did pick up falls from my hands, and I look up at him, tears blurring my vision.

He slowly pulls me up and back into him just in time for a silent sob to rack through my body. He presses my head into his chest, holding me there.

So much for a celebration.

________________________________

A/N:
IM SORRY BUT THIS GENUINELY WAS A COINCIDENCE BEING THE DAY BEFORE HER B DAY.

i followed the dates of the show and i already had her birthday as march 26. i feel so bad about it seriously but...
____

how are y'all feeling?
favorite parts?
what are you hoping for in the next season?
did you like the fact dick remembered her birthday and comforted her?
what do you want to see specifically? more jealousy for someone? any flashbacks?
_____________
thanks for reading, don't forget to vote & comment !!

xoxo, author

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

148K 3.8K 25
Just going to inform you that I am rereading this to get rid of as many grammatical errors as possible and that I'm also going through and fixing up...
181K 5.7K 38
When The Day arrives for four young heroes, Stormwind, an unknown 13 year old superhero, wants nothing more than to find out how these heroes operat...
91K 4K 57
Now calling herself "Jade," a girl must delve into the risky business of cat burglary in attempts to keep her sister safe from a dangerous past. As t...
228K 9.1K 27
After the death of his parents, Dick Grayson is taken in by his Uncle and trained to be a Talon. He has been training and preparing for four years of...