Accidentally Forever/DNF

Av random_roadie54

(This story has been entered into the Watty awards :D) After not being approved to move to the states, George... Mer

Welcome :D
30/90
Fine Line
La Jolla
Heather
Drops Of Jupiter
Deja Vu
Electric Love
Best Years
You Are The Reason
Never Not
Youuu
About Love
The Night We Met
Ghost Of You
Sleep On The Floor
Easy
Nobody
Symphony
Fragile Breaths
Accidentally Valentines Day

Epilogue

12K 381 2.2K
Av random_roadie54

"In this world it's just us"
As it was
Harry Styles

Her room changed as she did. Princesses and butterflies to records and Chanel perfume she'd received for Christmas. George tried not to dwell on the time passing of his baby growing up, but sometimes it was hard when he looked at her and couldn't find those chubby cheeks anymore. Or the childish giggled at his lack of correct grammar.

George ran his fingers over Ashlyn's dresser. It filled the space after her toy box was no longer used, a small void left but never vacant. Pictures of her friends were framed on the right. The age of ten with the curly red headed boy she swore was her best friend forever. They met in kindergarten and kept the same class by chance up until freshman year of high school. George could feel his age as he bent down to pick up a stray shirt Ashlyn dropped on her way to dance class. Thirty six was old in his mind, at least his knees and back were feeling the number.

The walls were still lavender but the butterflies were now replaced with vintage records. It was a cold winter evening when four of them went to a thrift store looking for second hand yard supplies. He could still see the light in Ashlyn's eyes when she came across a box of vintage vinyl records. From the bed George watched Dream and Ashlyn run them over a record player to see which ones still worked. It was Sapnap's idea to mount the ones that didn't sound to the wall.

The front door of the house closed and George took a seat on Ashlyn's bed. A well loved bear rested in between the pillows of her perfectly made bed. Roni was his name. He was the protector of thunderstorms and monsters beneath her bed, George suddenly felt choked up.

"Oh, dad? What," Ashlyn looked around. "What are you doing?"

She was beautiful, that was the bottom line. Though her hair was brown as his own her eyes were a radiant green, wild beneath long eyelashes. George used to see her mother but as the years past all he could see was himself and fragments of Dream. Even if he wasn't her biological parent, she had his smile and the same form of laughter.

George looked down at the bear in his hands and tried to remember what he'd come in the room for in the first place. "I think I came in here to see if the other dance outfit thing made it out of the wash. Sapnap did the laundry."

"Oh," her brows furrowed while she moved to dig in her drawer. "Yep! And look it's not pink, he did it right."

Movement in the hallway caught George's attention. Dream was typing something on his phone while Ashlyn set down her bag and started taking off her shoes.

"Did your dad learn anything this time?"

Ashlyn snorted, "he kept stepping on my toes because he has two left feet."

George couldn't help but laugh, "what's he so invested in on his phone?"

"I dunno," Ashlyn shrugged. "I think it's about your birthday present... oh sh- I mean crap, I didn't mean to tell you that."

"One, watch your language," George frowned. "Two, you better spill right now. What is it?"

Ashlyn opened her mouth right when Dream came in.

"Nope zip! You promised you wouldn't say anything!"

"Ugh," Ashlyn sprawled herself onto the ground dramatically. "Fine!"

George welcomed the small kiss on his lips when Dream took a seat next to him on Ashlyn's bed. She grumbled from her recline on the floor and covered her eyes with an arm.

He huffed, "how was father daughter class?"

"Terrible," Dream muttered. "I suck at it, and besides I think you should've done it."

"Dad did it for the last three years Pap," Ashlyn reminded, "You can't avoid it forever."

"But he's your real dad," Dream tried.

Sitting up she gave Dream death brows. Eyes squinted into slits and her nose scrunched with pure determination, "and you aren't?"

Ashlyn's accent stayed British despite Sapnap's attempt at corrupting her to have a Southern/Floridian tone. It was only small words that George caught were successful in his attempts. Usually, when she was very serious or angry her 'T's were more pronounced as well as her 'C's.

"Well," Dream scoffed. "I am too I suppose... but you have his DNA not mine!"

"So," she drawled. "You raised me. You're my mom in this situation, right?"

"No!" Dream basically shrieked. "That would be George, not-"

"Why do I have to be the mom!" George said, "you're the one that cooks, I think-"

"No, no," Dream shook his head. "You aren't winning this argument I think-"

"I think!" Ashlyn said louder. Tossing both of them a ballet shoe, "you are both idiots."

"Hey!" They answered simultaneously.
Ashlyn laughed softly before raising a questioning brow.

"Since we are on the topic..." George didn't like the sound of that starter. "My biological mother, why have you guys never told me about her?"

The silence was explanation enough but George felt guilty. Scratching at his neck he looked to Dream for saving. His features were older now but the man had aged like fine wine. Soft around the cheekbones with a few stress wrinkles on his forehead. George often like to smooth them over in bed and tease him about growing ancient. The reply would always be a jab at his superior age. Dream shrugged helplessly. Unhelpful idiot.

"Mostly because I haven't talked to her since you were a baby." George finally said, Dream rested a palm on his knee for support. Ashlyn wasn't asking to be cruel, just her facial expressions alone told them it was innocent curiosity. "Why the sudden interest?"

She shrugged, "I don't know. I just wonder sometimes."

Dream gripped his knee again before saying, "Admittedly, we didn't know her all that well. I think, if you want to,  one day you can meet her or speak to her..."

Ashlyn frowned immediately, the bridge of her nose scrunching in distaste, "no. I don't really want to do that. I was just curious if I actually had one or if Sapnap was messing with me."

George rolled his eyes again, "what'd he tell you?"

"That you guys made me in a lab like the power puff girls." The deadpan in her voice told them just how much she believed him, which was not at all. "But he's kind of stupid and I didn't believe him."

Dream stifled a wheeze, "you know I'll give him credit for the imagination... ow! George!" He gripped his assaulted shoulder.

George rubbed over his now sore knuckles and turned back to Ashlyn, "no, baby. You were not made in a lab."

"More like a party," Sapnap stuck his head into the room and grinned. "Dream was ignoring your Dad, so your Dad got very drunk and-"

"Sapnap!" The two of them nearly shouted. The younger man held his hands up in surrender while Ashlyn laughed as background noise. George was quick reprimand, "too much detail."

"Hey, I was just giving her the truth! She knows more than you think she does."

Three pairs of eyes shot over to the child before she scoffed, it sounded kin to Dream's annoyance, "I do not!"

"Liar." Sapnap sauntered in and plopped down on the floor with Ashlyn. She shoved him over. "Dream used to be very stupid when it came to your Dad."

"Still is sometimes," George grinned. Dream rested his chin on his smaller shoulder and pouted up at him. "Don't look at me like that."

"But George, I love you."

"Yeah, yeah."

Ashlyn shot a look to Sapnap and he returned the favor. Brows raised to her pulled back hair line she flopped her head to the side and shook her ponytail. Sapnap made a snorting kind of sound.

He said, "at least I'm not alone to suffer their disgusting little love thing anymore. Right Ashlyn, you get to suffer with your uncle Sapnap."

"I have to suffer from your presence, you mean?"

Dream took in a delighted breath near George's ear. He was always far to enthusiastic when Ashlyn had a rude comeback or remark.

Sapnap whined in shock, "Dream! Your child is being mean to me!"

"I am not!"

Dream was too busy wrapping his arms around George's midsection to pay attention after the initial blow, so Sapnap moved on to the next best thing. "Gerge, your offspring is being rude."

Ashlyn smacked him with a tan jazz shoe whilst George leaned back onto Dream's touch, "maybe start by calling her by her name."

"You little brat, I will bury you in our back yard!"

"No, you won't!" She rolled her eyes, "cause then you'd have to suffer my parents alone!"

Sapnap paused and groaned, "Shit you're right."

"I'm always right." She sounded so much like George, Dream whispered about it in his ear. Sapnap gagged at their affectionate display.

"Did you bring in the bag of cookies from the store?" Dream questioned their daughter. She looked confused for a fleeting moment before remembering. Eyes lit up like fireworks, she moved.

"No, I didn't!" She hopped up so fast it made George's knees hurt just watching. "Come on, Nick. Get your lazy ass- butt up!"

"Language," George said although the efforts were definitely in vain.

Sapnap huffed, "why are you calling me Nick, little brat?"

"You call me that, I'll call you Nick." Once he stood up she started shoving Sapnap down the hallway yelling, "move or I'll tell Karl you like him!"

"You wouldn't fucking dare!"

"Move your annoying ass!"

George dropped back onto Dream's shoulder and sighed, "you bought cookies?"

"Yeah," soft kisses littered the line of George's jaw. "And seasonings for dinner. We were already out and Ashlyn was excited to go, even after dance class."

He nodded resting his forehead on Dream's temple, "she's asking about her mother. What if one day she changes her mind and wants to see her?"

"I don't know," was Dream's honest answer. "I guess we'll come across that bridge when it happens. She doesn't seem to want to." He swept a stay hair from George's eyes, "don't worry about it now, my love."

George scoffed, "she's growing up so fast I can't keep up."

"You know what she told me in the car?"

"Do I want to know?" Usually when Dream didn't immediately start with the subject it was touchy. A lot of fights had been born from this form of prolonged avoidance.

He could tell what George was thinking having been together so long, "nothing bad, just more of her growing up."

"What?"

"She asked me not to tell you but she got asked to the winter formal." Dream pulled back to smile because he knew George would have a abhorrent reaction. "Oh, come on I thought it was sweet."

"Yeah unless she said yes, then it's not sweet anymore."

Dream showed his different opinion by shooing George's cheek away, "you're being overprotective again."

"I'm not." The scoff was final, "she's not going."

Dream frowned, "George..."

"No."

A heavy sigh filled the silence of the room, "this is why she didn't tell you, you know. She knew you'd have a bad reaction."

George shook his head and stood up, "she told you because she knows you're a pushover."

Dream's expression hardened, "no, she told me because she was scared to tell you. She said you'd freak out about it even if she didn't want to go, and you're proving her point."

"Whatever, she's not going."

"I think it should be her choice," Dream reasoned. "She's old enough-"

"Well, I'm saying no." George didn't want to fight with Dream but somehow he was feeling on edge more than usual. And it was all because of Ashlyn, he didn't want to admit it but lately time was going too fast.

"You can't just make that decision it's-"

George scoffed with an arrogant stance, "yeah I can. I'm her father."

"So am I," Dream challenged.

It slipped out without real meaning behind it but George had immediate regret, "I'm her real father."

He hadn't seen that type of hurt flash Dream's face before, nor had he ever had such a silent reaction. George was frozen by his own hateful words as he watched Dream look away from him. Though the statement was biologically true, it didn't mean anything when Dream had been there the entire time.

"Dream, I didn't-"

"Low blow, George," Dream stood avoiding all eye contact, "you're right though. Sorry for interrupting your independent parenting with my civil opinion."

Walking out of the room George tried to stop him but Dream waved him off.

George felt like a terrible person. So much so he had a pillow and a blanket on the couch and told himself he was never going back upstairs. Going up meant facing Dream and that seemed to be a hard task after he replayed their fight in his head. Their marriage wasn't perfect, they had fights, scream matches, there were even times when Sapnap had to step in and smack them out of their idiotic state of minds. Yet it had never been this bad, they didn't speak at dinner and everyone noticed. Sapnap had his brows to the ceiling and Ashlyn was so confused it showed very blatantly on her face.

Anytime she asked Dream a question he redirected it with, "you should ask your Dad." George knew it was jab at him for his mindless need to win an argument but it still stung. So there he was sulking in the living room far past the time he usually went to bed. If he didn't go to bed soon he'd feel like shit waking up at dawn to get Ashlyn up for school but he couldn't bring himself to face Dream.

"Pap said you were down here being stubborn." Ashlyn crossed her arms and leaned over the back of the couch. The cushion scrunched behind George's head causing a deeper frown.

"You're still up?"

"Yeah, so are you. Your point?"

George bristled, "don't be rude."

"What did you fight about this time?"

Ashlyn came round and plopped herself next to George. She was comfy in the Minecraft pajamas Quackity bought her last Christmas. A matching shirt and pants that George found awfully cheesy, she loved them all the same. Quackity, as the time went on, seemed to have grown a liking to Ashlyn, despite his hate of children. He spoiled her the most when he visited which resulted in them teaming up against her parents and causing way too much turmoil.

He huffed at her, "nothing."

"Not what Pap said."

"What did Dream say?"

Ashlyn canted her head and stole the other half of George's designated sulking blanket, "he said you think I'm growing up too fast and it makes you sad."

George now felt even worse because Dream knew his outburst wasn't about who the real parent was. He knew why George was freaking out on him, he knew George. He figured Dream knew him better than he knew himself, it only made everything hurt a bit more. The ache beneath his ribs was almost as unbearable as the lump in his throat.

"Well," George said dryly. "He has a lot of opinions."

Ashlyn's tone was softer, "I think he's right. You do know I'm only fifteen right?"

"Yeah," he sighed glancing at her. "What's your point?"

"It's not like I'm grown and leaving the house tomorrow," she was so logical it made George bittersweet. "So, I don't know why you're just now upset, neither does Pap."

George shrugged, "I don't know either, baby. I'm sorry, I don't mean to make it hard on you two. I'm just..." he fixed the stray hair on Ashlyn's head. "I don't like change."

She snorted and snuggled up into his side. Hugging her Dad around the waist she said, "we know you don't. Did we forget the kitchen remodeling incident?"

George pulled a face and sifted fingers through Ashlyn's hair. It was cut recently long curtain bangs framed her face while the rest met her shoulder.

"Shut up, you have to admit it was sad to see the tile go."

"You're so weird."

He remembered that day vividly. The kitchen needed to be remodeled whether he liked it or not as they had found termites starting to nest in the kitchen wall. George thought he was fine seeing them gut it but something snapped and he just felt sick about it. A few tears were shed over absolutely nothing other than the poor tile. It was silly really, like crying over spilt milk.

"So," Ashlyn started her meddling again, "what did you say to Pap to make him look all sad like that?"

George winced, "you'll hate me too if I tell you."

"Promise I won't."

The sigh felt extremely heavy, "he didn't agree with my opinion on something with you and..."

"And?"

"And I won the fight by saying I was your real father and he wasn't."

The silence was so loud George's ears rung. Ashlyn pulled away to look at him. Incredulous and shocked, she raised her brows in a familiar manor to how he would. George shut his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"You're such an asshole," she didn't even try to cover her language and George didn't reprimand her for it either.

"I'm... yeah I'm an asshole." As he admitted it Ashlyn seemed to find it amusing. "Stop laughing. It's not funny! Ashlyn! I'm a terrible person and you are laughing at me."

She doubled over and fell onto George's lap looking up at him with shaking shoulders he pouted down at her. Poking her side to make her stop she finally took a breath.

"You suck, Dad."

"Yes, I know." George groaned, "it's why I have exiled myself to the couch. You're Pap is never gonna forgive me."

With a shake of her head she explained, "he loves you. He'll forgive you."

A gentle squeeze to her nose made Ashlyn swat her father's hand away, "I don't forgive myself. That's the worst thing I've ever said to him."

The room fell quiet once more. Soft in the emptiness of their house. If he listened hard enough he could almost hear Sapnap shouting in the other room, but it was so muffled he doubted it was there at all.

"You do know he's just as much my real dad as you are right?" George tilted his head considering. "Just because I have your DNA doesn't mean you're immediately my parent."

"Yes, Ashlyn, it kind of does."

Shaking her head she squeezed his hand, "I have a mother somewhere, but she'll never be my mom. She wasn't here, she didn't raise me, she's not my parent. But Dream, Pap, was here, he raised me, he's my real dad. My parent just as much as you are."

George was stunned to silence for a moment. She must have thought about this more than he anticipated. Considering she mentioned her mother,  she had to have thoroughly thought about it as she was completely right. A bit of guilt pulled on his heartstrings when he looked down at her.

"Does it make you sad that you don't have a mom?"

Ashlyn snorted, "no, having two dads is great. Though it was hard when my period hit and you two looked at me like I was an alien."

"Yeah, we weren't the most prepared for that..." Ashlyn found this extremely funny and chuckled. "But you're sure, you don't feel like cheated out of life or something?"

"No, Dad," her pretty green eyes rolled, "I'm not upset you didn't marry a girl and give me a mom. I wouldn't replace Pap with anyone."

"Okay," George muttered. "Yeah, I wouldn't replace him either... I think he wants to replace me right now though."

She huffed impatiently and said, "You guys are so dramatic sometimes, what did you even fight about."

George ran a thumb over Ashlyn's terse brow, "you getting asked to the winter formal."

Both eyes shut as she winced, "he wasn't supposed to tell you."

"Why didn't you want to tell me?"

Ashlyn paused for a moment thinking it over. George let her have the time and pet sweetly over her forehead like he did when she was younger. Back when a moment like this she would've been asleep within seconds. She seemed to come to a dead end and said, "I don't know."

"Dream said you were scared to tell me." He lowered his voice a little, masking his hurt, "are you scared to talk to me about stuff like that?"

"It's not exactly scared," she explained, "I just know you freak out a little too much about things like that."

George held his scoff in, "I know I do."

"I was going to tell you," Ashlyn reassured poking his pouted cheek. "But I wanted to decide if I even wanted to go or not. I mean if I can go."

The inside if his cheek met with teeth. George wanted to say no but, as he knew earlier, Dream was correct. Ashlyn was old enough to go. It was merely George's protective parenting causing issues.

"Don't make that face," Ashlyn huffed. "You look constipated, if I can't go just say that."

"You can go," he finally said, reluctantly. "But I wanna know who you're going with before hand. Ask them to come here and take pictures or something first." She smiled valiantly and George asked another question eating at his heart, "you like him more, huh?"

"Who?"

"Pap, Dream, you like him more than me."

This made her laugh again, "really? You're really asking me that?"

George sputtered, "what it's a valid-"

A hand came up to press against her own forehead, "Dad, I don't have a favorite parent. I love you both equally. Besides you are completely different why would I pick a favorite?"

He already knew the answer so George opt to sigh and looked around. It was completely dark in the living room, only the kitchen light left on, he hadn't even bother to turn the TV on for background noise. Ashlyn groaned and George glanced at her wondering what she was pouting about. He raised a brow.

"Can you carry me upstairs, I don't feel like walking."

"Ashlyn," he deadpanned. "No offense but you weigh way more than you did at the age of six. You'd probably have more luck carrying me upstairs."

"Ugh," she sat up and tilted her head, "what about a piggyback ride?"

"Ashlyn-"

"Oh, come on. Please!" George's hand was tugged upward until he stood, "I want compensation for my marriage counseling."

"Compensation! You are a little pain in the-"

"Please!"

He gave in because maybe he was the real pushover, "fine, come on."

Climbing up George's back Ashlyn gripped around his neck while he gently held the back of her knees. She was a medium height for her age, he feared she'd never grow a few years ago. Always smaller than everyone else in her class, it wasn't until recently she hit a growing spurt and met George's height. He was out of breath halfway up the staircase and Ashlyn found it extremely funny laughing over his shoulder like a maniac.

"You're cruel," he complained.

"You love me anyway."

A puff of air, "yes, I do."

She kissed his cheek, "I love you too, Dad."

That warmed his heart and washed away anything else he'd been worried about. So, without thinking he walked straight into his and Dream's room and stopped dead in his tracks.

Leaning against the headboard on his phone was Dream, gorgeous as ever and clearly pissed off. Both brows pinched while he aggressively swiped through something as if it was inconvenient. It wasn't until then that he remembered why he exiled himself to the couch. Dream spared them a glance and return to his phone a second later. Not even an acknowledgment.

George ached and turned to bring Ashlyn to her room before she stopped him.

"Wait," she let go and slid down George's back to go to Dream. "Love you, goodnight."

Dream welcomed the embrace, "goodnight, baby, love you too."

She squinted at George then Dream as she walked towards the door, muttering a very aggressive, "talk." Then the door shut and George was left standing in the middle of the room guilty like a criminal. Dream still didn't spare him a glance.

Apologies were hard for someone that didn't like being wrong, so it was a big deal to stand there and debate the words. When they fought Dream usually gave in first and called for a cease fire even if it was George's wrong doing. It was something George loved and hated about Dream, how kind hearted he was. It only made his own terrible attitude worse when he used it on Dream.

"I'm sorry," George said eventually. "I didn't mean what I said earlier..."

"Cool." It stung but he took it for what it was and stepped back.

Seemingly dismissed, George nodded and left for the door again. The couch it was, at least it met his eyes when he looked at it. With a hand on the knob he turned the door before Dream said something to him, "that wasn't a very good apology, you didn't even try."

"You're like Ashlyn, once you've made up your mind you don't change it," George shrugged looking over his shoulder. "I can't apologize enough to make up for what I said."

"You could've tried a little harder," the soften tone of his voice made George swallow the lump in his throat.

It came out as a broken whisper, "I'm sorry."

"Are you? Or are you saying it because you don't want to fight?"

He left the door and turned to look at the other man, "I don't want to fight. I never want to fight, but that's not why I'm apologizing."

"It isn't?" The phone was now flat on his chest and his eyes were fixated on George's now. Green and alive and clearly hurt. That seemed to burn more than the dismissal. "Then why, because you clearly think you are the only real parent in this room."

"I'm sorry," he grit. The tears were going to come whether he wanted them to or not but he still fought them. Swallowing a blinking heavy at the bed, George said, "that was a shit thing to say, I know. I only said it because I thought... I don't know what I thought. That Ashlyn likes you more or just doesn't want to tell me stuff anymore because I..." the shrug felt helpless. He'd rather go back to the couch than blubber like a seal In from of an upset Dream. "I feel like a terrible Dad sometimes okay? I don't know... never mind. I'm sleeping downstairs anyways so don't-"

"My love." Lovely like a caress the endearment ripped him to pieces, he fell apart then. Silently, looking anywhere but at Dream because he wasn't going to cry in front of him. "Come here."

"No, I..."

"Please."

Coaxed with soft words, George crawled over their shared bedsheets and laid on his side. Facing away from his lover he took in stuttered breaths. Dream placed a hand over his hair and sifted through it.

"She doesn't have a favorite," Dream said eventually.

"I know."

"You're a good parent."

"And you're her real dad," George exhaled leaning into the soft touch. "M'sorry I said that to you, it's the worst thing I've ever..."

Shuffling behind him Dream's warm arm wrapped around his midsection and held him close. Back to chest, face to neck, Dream kissed below his ear.

"I've said pretty terrible things to you too," he whispered. "I know you didn't mean-"

"No." A hasty hand gripped Dream's, "no, I didn't mean it. And if I did Ashlyn doesn't think that. I don't think that."

"Good," another kiss landed on his cheek.

George turned in Dream's arms and pressed his lips lightly on the other. A bit of tears mixing into the kiss. They exhaled together, all of their tension seeping out with apologies and understanding.

"I'm sorry."

"I forgive you."

He pressed his forehead to Dream's chest and took another breath.

"You're kind of an ass though."

George smiled, "I know."

***

"Happy birthday dear George- Dad- Gerge! Happy birthday to you!"

Blowing out the candles on his cake George smiled at the small flashes of cameras around the table. Karl flew in for business and conveniently took a day to come see George on his birthday. At least that's what he told everyone, George knew he was really there to kiss Sapnap behind closed doors and then act like nothing happened. Their relationship, if you could call it that, was still developing.

"Woo! You're ancient!" Karl clapped George on the shoulder as if he wasn't two years away from it himself.

"Fuck off." Taking his handmade Karl birthday card, he smiled like an idiot and thanked his friend for the vintage playing card sandwiched between the paper. Sapnap handed him a gift card to his favorite restaurant and then basically pulled Karl away by his collar. He could only roll his eyes at the two.

"Open mine," Ashlyn piped in handing him a blue box. It was about a foot wide and a foot tall and almost ten pounds. A little sticker on top read fragile. George grinned at her.

"Oh!" Opening the gift he found a ceramic vase. Painted like a sunset with three abstract people in the scenery. "Ashlyn, did you make this?"

"Yeah, in art class!" She smiled fully at him and he felt his heart melt. "I hope you like it I spent a while on it."

George pulled her in to an embrace, "I love it. Thank you. We'll put it on the kitchen island so everyone can see it."

"You're welcome!" She looked to Dream, "now open Pap's gift, I helped him pick it out."

It was like deja vu looking at the tiny box. By the size of it George already knew what it was but something about it surprised him. Taken back ten or so years he could still see Dream's cheeky smile and Ashlyn's baby babble of going home. He could feel the left over heartbreak mended by the same velvet blue in his hand. Dream flipped the box open for him.

"We thought it would be a good idea to get you a new one," Ashlyn input. "Since I lost yours at the beach when I was four."

She left her Dads to their own devices after that, skipping around the corner to go finish the game she was playing before the birthday celebration.

Dream gently gripped George's wrist, "happy birthday."

He felt teary eyed, "you're still choosing me after all these years?"

Dream kissed his temple and pulled the ring from it's box, "I will always choose you."

The ring fit as perfectly as it did the day he lost it. New with a shiner band and a ring of gold, George admired the gift and what it meant.

"I was heartbroken when she lost it," George muttered. "I didn't tell her but I may have cried about it."

"I know you did," Dream smiled fixing George's hair around his ear. "I would have done this sooner but the timing didn't feel right."

He nodded gripping Dream's hand and leaning in for a kiss, "thank you."

"Of course," he said. Then a sly smirk etched over his features to make George sway on his feet, "I have another present for you later when Karl and Sapnap take Ashlyn to the movies."

He snorted, "do you now?"

"Mm." George kissed the smug look off his face.

***

"I can't believe Dream's in a Dance recital," Quackity whispered yelled taking a seat next him to in the theater chair. "Does he have a frilly outfit too?"

"I wish," George egged, "but no, just a pink tie to match Ashlyn's costume."

"Aw," his friend groaned, "I need that man in a dress for blackmail."

George snorted, "I have a few incriminating photos if you desperately need them. As long as I get something out of it."

Quackity gripped his wrist and shook it, "yes, let's go. You're still George even after you got married."

"Yes, we've established this." Shaking his head he looked over to the two empty seats on his left side. "Sapnap and Karl?"

"I do believe they are fucking in Karl's car."

A fake surprised gasp, "that's such a surprise."

Quackity bristled as the lights started to turn down low blinking twice to notify the begging of a show. Right as the doors were closing Sapnap and Karl came ushering in disheveled and flushed.

"Real classy," Quackity harped. They sent him bashful looks and took their seat. Karl hugged George around his neck as hello before he sat down. George could only smile.

Sapnap dropped his head onto the chair seemingly tired, George took the opportunity, "Hey Nick, I have a grievance."

Sitting up straight, Sapnap's eyes grew three sizes as he looked at George. He opened his mouth and closed it, "what the fuck did I do for you to call me that?"

"Tell him you love him," George whispered as a baby ballet class entered the stage. "You're just hurting yourself by not doing it."

He scoffed, "no, you can't do that. I'm the match maker not you."

"I'm returning the favor."

He looked away to glance at Karl sighed heavily, "I can't, he'll think it's weird."

George let the subject lie and watched the show. It took a good forty-five minutes before Dream and Ashlyn made an appearance. Ashlyn had several other number George had watched in their living room before seeing them on stage. She looked as beautiful as always, grown up and a little more mature.

When Dream finally graced the stage their dance started out fast, jazzy and quick. George was snorting along with Quackity while Dream tried and failed to complete a simple jazz square. That man may have coordination in video games but dancing was an entirely different subject.

Towards the end the dance slowed and Ashlyn was helping Dream waltz along with all the other dads and daughters. It was sweet and entertaining. George had never felt so warm watching a dance recital. When they came up to bow the first thing Dream did was look for George. Eyes scoring the crowd until they met in the middle and shared a smile. He whispered to Ashlyn who found him just as quick waving a cute hello before tugging Dream off the stage with the rest of the group.

George smiled like an idiot until the end of the show.

As the lights were coming on and their group of friends was not only starving but very rung dry from sitting in the dark George said hello to familiar parents. Quackity stuck to his side like another child and only smiled when spoken to. Sapnap and Karl still sat in there seats hopelessly whispering to each other.

George felt enough was enough and came up behind them, "we know you guys sneak around with each other. And quite frankly, we are all annoyed. Just tell each other you love the other and put everyone out of their misery."

"George!" They both said mortified. He shrugged and found Ashlyn running to him like a track star. Dream swiped his brows clearly stressed behind her, it was endearing.

"Dad!" She hugged sparkles and hairspray into his button down shirt. Her hair was still perfectly intact and he felt a little smug, as he was the one that did it. "Did you see me wave at you?"

"I did," he chuckled patting her sweaty back. "I also saw Pap mess up that jazz square."

She snorted and pulled back to grin, it looked so much like him with a little hint of Dream's attitude, "at least he didn't step on my toes this time. Oh look, Jasper came. I'm gonna go say hi."

Then she was off running to embrace her best friend like they hadn't just seen each other the weekend before. He rolled his eyes and yelped when tight hands gripped his waist. Dream chuckled in his ear causing the smack of the recital book to his chest.

"Asshole," George sighed fondly. Dream's smile grew wider. "You did great."

He dropped his forehead to George's temple for a moment, pulling back he said, "I was nervous."

Smoothing over the lapels of his suit George said, "you looked great. And there was only one mess up, but Ashlyn had fun that's all that matters."

He received a small kiss, "you're right. Now are we going eat somewhere because I'm starving."

"George?" Turning at his name he'd never felt his heart sink so fast. "Is that really you?"

It was like a bad dream to see her again. It had been, what, fifteen years give or take? Some house under flashing lights and inebriation, then months later at his door step with pink blankets and a baby carrier. She looked the same maybe a little aged around the eyes. Green as the day he met her and platinum to the root of her shoulder length hair. He felt his breath escape him.

"Stella?"

She laughed like easy rain and George turned from Dream's hold, "wow. Small world isn't it."

"Very," he replied tightly. "What are you doing here? Do you... are you..."

She held her hands up, "whatever you're thinking, no. I'm here because my niece is in the baby ballet class."

When George didn't respond she huffed and looked to Dream, "hi, I'm Stella Frontiersman. I'm... um. Well... I'm."

George finished the sentence for her, voice nearly haunted, "Ashlyn's birth mother."

Recognition snapped quick into Dream's features. He shook her hand, "nice to me you I'm Clay, George's... husband."

She eyed them, "well, now this is awkward. I'm so sorry to interrupt like this."

Dream laughed like the polite man he was and George stayed stiff. Ashlyn called at them, with a hand on George's lower back he said, "I'm gonna let you talk."

Then he scampered off and swooped Ashlyn from the ground swatting Quackity off who must've made a joke about his pink tie. George cleared his throat and found Stella frowning comically at him.

"What?" He said defensively.

"I'm not here to talk to her," she relented. "You don't have to be so stiff."

He waved a hand at her, "I know."

"Then lighted up," an elbow nudged him. "She never has to know who I am. And if she asks tell her we're old friends from school or something."

George sighed and stuffed his hands in his pockets, "she asked about you recently."

"Oh. And?" Her brow raised and it reminded him of Ashlyn. George guessed the bits of biology would always remain the same.

"And I said if she wanted to we'd look for you." His head tilted softly, "but she said she didn't want to meet, just wanted to know you were real."

Stella nodded, "if she wants to have a talk when she's older I'm okay with it, but I sadly have no desire to be someone in her life. And I feel if I did now it'd make everything really confusing."

"It would."

She hummed and gipped his arm for attention, "I just want to know, is she happy? Loved?"

His nod was definite, "of course. Loved more than she would even know."

"Good," Stella smiled and glanced over discreetly at their love child. "She's beautiful and an amazing dancer."

"Isn't she," George gushed.

"Hmm," Stella raised a brow seemingly remembering something, "fuck you by the way."

"Me!" George sputtered, "what did I do."

"You," she prodded with a smile. "Made me go through the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life!"

"Hey, this was a two way transaction!"

She covered her mouth when she laughed, "you're right. Sorry."

"Geez," he rolled his eyes at her laugh. Ashlyn peeked around Dream's body and raised an expectant brow at him. He could hear her impatience from yards away. "Alright I better go before they get restless."

She gripped his hand softly then released him, "of course. See you around George."

"See you."

Ashlyn welcomed him into their little group from Quackity's back waving at him over the shorter man's shoulder. George let Dream hold him around the waist.

The kiss on his cheek melted him, "all good?"

Staring into familiar eyes he smiled, "all good."

***

"Can it really be that bad-"

"Shh," Ashlyn told him. Holding Quackity's head to her shoulder, she covered the grown mans ear. "He's going through a lot right now, Dad."

"Yeah, Dad," Quackity sniffled dramatically. "My heart is shattered into pieces."

George scoffed and sank into the warmth of Dream's side. It was movie night... now turned Quackity's need to attention and sympathy. Sapnap was sound asleep on Karl's chest in the corner of the loveseat couch. George and Dream shared the recliner with a blanket and an warm aging patches. Quackity and Ashlyn had a sea of junk food on their couch. Huddled together like they were ready to fight anyone who disturbed their peace.

"I'm not your Dad, Quackity. And besides you went on one date with that girl why are you so..."

"George," he harped. "I'm upset. It was on my birthday!"

Ashlyn patted Quackity's beanie-less head, "there there, uncle Q. You'll get her next time."

Another fruitless sniffle, "you think so, Ashlyn?"

"I know so."

"George, you're child is better at comfort than you."

He scoffed while Dream replied not looking up from his phone, "she learned from me. I had to comfort drama queen one and my daughter, drama queen two."

George smiled at him, pressing his nose against Dream's warm cheek, "you love us."

"Always," he muttered softly. Eyes glazed and tender when he looked up. The hand rested on the brunette's hip wrapped a little tighter around his waist when Dream leaned to kiss him. Disgusted groans came from the other couch making the two chuckle.

"Why is love everywhere but with me!" Quackity stuffed popcorn into his mouth.

"There there, uncle Q."

"But Ashlyn! She said I wasn't her type."

"Someone will be your type you can always date a fan," she joked. "You'll know for sure that they like you."

Quackity dramatically pulled from her shoulder and sunk to the floor groaning.

"Dramatic ass." George muttered earnings various agreements from Sapnap and Dream.

"My friend Sara's mom is single," Ashlyn laughed. "You could try that!"

"Ashlyn," George snorted rather than reprimanded.

"No no," Quackity sat up. "I think she's on to something."

George tuned out the two and rested his head beneath Dream's neck. Long lashes fanned closed as the group started a nee movie. Something terrifying by the sounds of the opening screams. Dream kissed his forehead and continued to scroll through twitter.

A few hours later Karl was fast asleep in Sapnaps room and Quackity in the guest room. Dream easily carried George up the stairs even though he knew the man was awake.

"You're getting heavier," Dream laughed.

"Maybe you're just old."

Dropped abruptly on the bed George felt his breath beat out of him. A hard scowl was aimed up at Dream who only smiled in response. Leaning forward to kiss his neck George's profane sentence died on his tongue.

"What's this for?" He dug soft fingers in to blond hair and pulled Dream down against him. Loving and melting beneath the other.

"Do I need a reason to kiss you?"

"No," George admitted, "but you usually have something else up your sleeve."

Dream huffed and pulled up to look at him, "I just love you, can that be enough?"

"I don't know, can it?"

"Say you love me."

George caved, "I love you. You know that."

Dream's response was a suggestive kiss, all tongue and heavy breaths. George was willing to be silent to have him that night before a hasty knock cut them off. When the younger man pulled away George dropped his head back aggressively to the bed, defeated.

"Who is it?"

"Pap?" Ashlyn muttered, "Dad? Can I come sleep with you guys?"

George's entire lust filled state of mind went out the window at the tone of her voice. Sitting up he watched Dream hastily open the bedroom door. Stood there like a young child Ashlyn looked terrified. Her blanket around her shoulder and Roni the bear beneath her arm, George frowned.

"Baby, what happened?" Dream let Ashlyn walk in and closed the door behind her.

"I'm creeped out by that dumb movie."

All of George's worries melted as he pulled Ashlyn into an embrace, "it's not real."

"Yeah, well I'm still freaked out," she huffed and it sounded too much like George, "so can I sleep in here or not?"

George was a breath away from snapping at his kin attitude before Dream's warm laugh filled the room. Sauntering over he tackled the into the sheets and corralled them beneath the duvet.

"We love having you in here with us." Dream pushed Ashlyn's hair out of his face and wrapped an arm around both her and George. "Just like when you were a baby and loved naps."

"I still love naps," Ashlyn sighed.

"So do I," George agreed reaching over for the light. "You're safe with us, Ashlyn."

"Promise?"

"Always." Dream kissed her cheek and settled down. George did the same, agreeing, "always."

"Love you both."

"We love you too."

A/n
Aww look how cute! We're officially done with this story. And I know it isn't as good or close to the same vibe as my other stories but it is my whole heart and I love it. So thank you for the ones that stuck around to the end.

Love you guys💚

Thank you for reading.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

11.1K 163 22
The writing gets better as you read, this was really a huge learning experience for me. - - - This book contains: smut, fluff, angst and more! TW's...
218K 5.5K 23
George is 22 and struggling to get his payments in on time. After his boyfriend left him for being a stripper George hadn't been mentally stable for...
18.8K 760 14
Dream finds himself in an introverts worst nightmare when Sapnap convinces him to host seven of their close friends for Sapnap's 21st birthday. The o...
1.9K 67 31
Old story I wrote, it's cringy and probably doesn't have the best grammar, read on own risk. It's almost Dreams birthday so George decideds to go to...