The Great Escape

Av Apple_Brooklyn

Paranoid and frightened, Ada bears the scars of her past on her charred skin and tortured mind. Slaving away... Mer

Prologue- Burned
Chapter- 1
Chapter- 2
Chapter- 3
Lady Kiara
Chapter- 4
Chapter- 6
Chapter- 7
Chapter- 8
Chapter- 9
Chapter- 10
Chapter- 11
Audience Part I
Audience Part II
Chapter- 12
Chapter- 13
Chapter- 14
Chapter- 15
Chapter- 16
Chapter- 17
Chapter- 18
Chapter- 19
Chapter- 20
Chapter- 21
Chapter-22
Chapter - 23
Chapter-24

Chapter- 5

137 16 111
Av Apple_Brooklyn

A/N: Double updates today! :)

"I apologise for making such a mess." Lady Kiara bent down to take a hold of the tray with pastries. "I will help you out with this. One of you should come with me with the other tray."

Misty and Ada were quick to stand up, "My Lady! No! You can—"

"Oh shush, let me be of some help." She smiled at them, her big, brown eyes shining as she flashed her pearly teeth at them.

"Now be quick, the tea is getting cold."

The maids looked at each other, then sighed, giving in to the Lady's persuasion. She was walking away with the tray, anyway.

A rare moment of mutual understanding between the two maids and Ada went ahead to wipe the floor of the hallway while Misty accompanied the Lady to the hall.

After she was done, Ada put the mop inside the bucket and went to the supply room. She dumped the water in a small tank made in the backyard of the mansion on her way out.

Placing the mop back securely in its designated place in the supply room, Ada reached the kitchen to find a sulky Mrs Smith standing near the stove.

"Ada, you brought the lamps to the guest rooms in the old wing?" She questioned upon seeing Ada.

She bowed. "Yes, ma'am."

"Come along, then, you have another chore." The grey-haired woman swiftly moved out of the kitchen like a ghost. Ada threw a quick glance at Misa and then stumbled behind the old lady.

They manoeuvred their way to the guest rooms upstairs, passing through the stairs located near the backdoor. The servants often used this as the noble family did not like the idea of servants and maids using the main hallways and staircases.

The stairs opened into a small storeroom, which was located at the furthermost corner of the first floor. Ada stepped out from the room, following Mrs Smith closely and then turned left. Passing three doors, Mrs Smith finally stopped in front of a mahogany door and pushed it open to reveal a big guest room.

Ada was generally not allowed to work in any of the floors upstairs. She was assigned to wash clothes, help in the kitchen, iron clothes, mop the floor downstairs.

Regardless, that did not stop her from making her way upstairs to explore the mansion in the middle of the night to gain as much familiarity as possible in case of any emergency. It was a lesson her grandmother had taught her and repeated it from time to time.

"Wherever you live, know the doors to enter. Figure out the ways to exit. No place is safe. Safeguard is only an illusion." She had heard her grandmother's voice in her head the first time she had entered the mansion, hot on the heels of the Young Master.

The numerous stories her grandmother had narrated to her about the Dukes and Princes to Counts and Warriors, even Gods, losing their lives; or worse, the battle against the evil, only because of the tempting facade of security: they always kept playing in her head like a loop of memories.

This paranoia resulted in her nightly ventures. She almost got caught red-handed once, but Mrs Smith had saved her hide. She got an earful after that, however.

But, she had not been to any of the rooms— except for that of Countess Monroe's— where she always had her eyes trained to the ground in the fear of invoking the rage of the fiend.

Ada sucked in a sudden breath at the sight of the lavish room. It was spacious with a big bed situated in the middle of it, with lush scarlet blankets settled on top of it.

A dressing table located precisely beside the bed was adequately equipped with all sorts of makeup supplies.

On the opposite side of the entry door, there was a large window, silky red curtains hanging around it, the sight of the woods behind the mansion visible.

"Take off the curtains and hang these pink ones." Mrs Smith gestured towards the pink pile of textiles heaped inside a basket on the floor beside the bed.

"Change the bed sheet as well. It is inside. Wash them once you have taken all these off."

"Yes, ma'am."

With that, Mrs Smith stepped out of the room, leaving Ada alone to clean it up.

-----------------

After finishing the given chore, Ada was on her way to the kitchen when she was stopped in the middle by a gruff male servant. He handed her a to-do list.

"Here. Mrs Smith gave this for you."

Bring in the eggs from the chicken coop.

Feed the geese.

Clean the supply room.

Scrub the community bathroom.

Help prepare lunch.

Report after you are done.

Ada let out an inconspicuous sigh before handing the paper back to the servant. This was not Mrs Smith's handwriting. Hers was neat and clean, with words clear and big as a diamond. This one looked like ants were being forced to crawl on the page.

"I— I don't know how to read." She lied.

The servant raised an eyebrow at her, "And what makes you think I do," he scoffed.

This was a trap. Mrs Smith thought she can not read. She would never give her a to-do list.

She remembered the guard's name, Jason. A young man of over twenty summers who had once purposefully tripped her. She found him as likeable as pests. The feelings were reciprocated ferociously and intensely.

"You should ask the guards. They might know." He turned around and left.

Puffing her cheeks slightly, she was about to leave when she caught a guard staring at her.

They were almost always suspicious of her. Her burnt face had fuelled several rumours— all illogically stemming out of her deformed face. Most of them suggested she must be a witch. Which was true but their reason was still flawed, and she was cautious enough not to get caught anyway.

She gulped as the stares got intense and decided to play safe. Since she had put up the act of being illiterate since the start, to convey the direct higher-ups like Mrs Smith and Mr Thompson a subtextual message that she can not be a witch, she decided to carry on with that.

Ada looked around to find any familiar face but no one was there. She decided to rush to the kitchen. There, she can hand it to Mrs Smith. However, was suddenly stopped by man calling for her.

"Ada!" Young Master's voice rang in her ear. She halted and turned around to see him striding towards her in a strange urgency.

"Young Master." Ada bowed deeply as soon as he reached her.

"Good heavens, where have you been hiding? I could not find you anywhere." Paris rubbed his forehead, his fiery locks tumbling out from the man bun and resting peacefully on his cheeks.

"My apologies for the—"

"No, not required. How is your hand? Is the cut deep?" He asked with a frown. He snatched her hand away from her side and his frown deepened. Ada looked to the sides anxiously, then sighed when she saw no one around.

"You are yet to apply any ointment over it."

There.

This is Young Master Paris.

He is a good man. Whatever happened in the morning?

"I will—" Ada started, trying to take her hand out of his grip before anyone sees them. Given that Paris was a fool when it came to practicality, he would not pay much mind to the details. Ada knew, however, this could potentially lead to a wild scandal.

Last thing she wanted was the tag of seductress on her head and kicks from Lady Kiara on her back.

When the news spread two years back that the Young Master of Monroe Mansion has brought home a girl, speculations and rumors had reached a new high. Ladies were heartbroken and aristocrats were livid since their offsprings were overlooked. It came to the point where some nobles even sent presents for the wedding along with letters of blessings and promises to visit the newly married couple soon.

And then they saw her face.

As hurtful as needless to say, the rumors died quicker then fruitflies.

"No, you will not."  Paris pursed his lips and readjusted his fingers on her hand. He was now holding her wrist tightly.

He, for sure, is going to be the sole root of my death.

"Young Master—"

"You never listen. What possessed you to pick up the broken cup so recklessly in the first place?"

Ada knew. Since he had brought her in, as a payback of the help he received from her, the Young Master had taken it upon himself to ensure that she survives. Most understood it but when the thrill of gossip kicks in, even the most carefully sealed lips are let loose.

"My apologies—"

"Cease the mindless apologies," he huffed,"Go to the infirmary. Get treated. I would have offered you my company but I happen to be in a hurry. But, do remember, I will be checking up on you later today. Keep that in mind."

Abruptly letting go of her hand, Paris gave her a hearty pat on the head and left.

A/N: Thoughts on Paris?

Thanks for reading! XD

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

60.3K 3.7K 104
Once upon a time, thousands of years ago, men and fae lived side by side. These were often dark times, as men had little means to defend themselves f...
95.1K 3.1K 83
"This is the story of Hazel..a tale I tell to others...a tale not many know of.. Such a loving child with her brother. So bright and full of life. Y...
47 6 5
''To all the men who pretend to be gods, and all the women who will succeed them.'' Centuries ago, the world was cursed by the gods. A large tree spr...
9.1K 314 59
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...