Came Because of Our Song ✔️

By Werly_Prelude

It's been almost an year now, since Wei Ying and Lan Zhan parted at the hill just outside the territories of... More

Start of a Choas
I Can't Help But Wish
The Trip to Trouble 1
The Anonymous Sender
Time For A Visit
Mr. I Don't Know Anything but Everything
Important Character Info
Follow Me in The Shadow
The First Day of Cultivation Conference
Another Gift
I Need Your Help
The Archery Competition-I
The Archery Competition-II
My Beauty My Curse
Encounter
Close Your Eyes
So Close Yet So Far~I
Didi, Wait for Me
Angel From the Moon
Protective Brother
A Hole In My Heart
It's About Time
You Are an Idiot
It is Decided
No Gift ?
It's My Turn
Trip to Trouble ~II
Leave Them
Some Warnings: Do Not Skip
The Trap : Reality
I Am Here
Lotus Pier - I
Banked Rage: Control
Banked Rage: Lost
Back To Cloud Recesses -I
Back To Cloud Recesses ~II
Banked Rage: Explosion
Calm The Storm
Reminiscent Past, Suppressant Fast
I Know
Changing Weather- I
Awakening Rage, Darkening Haze
Brewing the Storm
Amiss
Never Alone
Not Again, Never Again
Whole Again
Big Reveal and Plotting
Let My Mind Bleed
The Game Is On~ 2
Closer to The Truth
Can't Believe I Am Late ~1
Can't Believe I Am Late-2
Beware of the Yiling Patriarch~1
Understanding: With&Without You
Heart To Heart
Lan Zhan Says Yes!
WuJi For Me, WangXian For You
Epilogue + Thanks

The Game Is On ~1

1.4K 120 21
By Werly_Prelude

GusuLan has always secluded itself from the eyes of the world, only known to be in existence thanks to the Clan's and Sect's ever-growing knowledge and exemplary scholars and cultivators; who, the common folks knew to recognise from their cloud white robes and sacred forehead ribbon.

The ridiculous number of rules also played a rule....

Though that was known by mostly people of Caiyi and nearby areas apart from important sects.

The thing which amazed people the most was their lifestyle and cuisine.

GusuLan forbids non-vegetarian food and killing of animals but even they couldn't live on whole vegetarian diet throughout the year- life on snow covered mountains can only be so much heavenly as few plants could be grown in the rocky terrain which would feed the whole Sect.

Given the fact that cultivators often nighthunted in places where greens were a luxury farmers and poor couldn't afford, they had to bend the rule.
Fish was a staple part of the diet and was consumed by all, but meat of any other animal was scarcely included.

The streams and ruvers cascading down the mountain provided ample opportunities for fishing and so it was an obvious part of diet. Herbs found on the mountain were usually of high medicinal value and kept in storage but some daily use roots and small herbs were included in soups, congee, and other food items.

Cultivators did eat chicken or sometimes pheasant meat from time to time when young, during nighthunting or in their diet so as to be familiar with the food and adjust their body in case of emergency though pork meat was exclusively forbidden.

The meat was seen as a sign of luxury and lavish, along with the fact that dishes made from it were spicy which clashed with their bland culinary style.

And GusuLan forbids indulgence and lavishness.

Only the elderly belonging to the servants' and workers' families who did not had the chance to form a core and needed the extra fat and energy which only the meat could provide were exempted from the rule. Even then, pork was hardly allowed. The most they got was bird meat or lamb meat on special occasions.

But there has been war, and their has been compromise. You cannot fight a war and be petty about the food. Spice is common in all culinary culture and the others won't change to bland congee and boiled tofu just for them; though their might be no spice at times.

In the war camps, there were fried mushrooms, roasted pheasant, thin and watery congee, thick soups, meat broth and many other things which the Lans wouldn't even dream of eating in any other circumstances. Sometimes, when they were in the outskirts of a town or village even salt and grains were luxury.

Those days they lived on simply fire cooked meat of whatever animal they could hunt or if a Wen Fort or quarry was near, raw food was also on plate.
Chopsticks and bowls forgotten, the cultivators ate directly from anything which could hold the food or in case of solid food- with hands.

The common folks sometimes helped them, but they were scared. Dirty robes, which had not glimpsed the face of a tub or proper washing in months hung on their body- the rivers and lakes an open bathing area for anyone who did not care much about proprietary and just needed a wash.

Long hairs can be a hassle.

Extremely complex hairstyles forgotten, a half top-knot with the sacred ribbon wound together in the hair was what kept the hair out of their face. Some even kept their hair in high buns, the whole hair gathered at the top, less chance of getting your hair tugged.

All in all, the SunShot Campaign had taught them many things.

Lan Xichen has to remind himself that the Imperial Palace had nothing to do with the war of the cultivation world and so the prince must not be aware of all the hardships they faced during a war.

Also, unlike cultivation sects the imperial rule imposes taxes on common people which feeds the treasury and the royal family so they will have more than enough to cater to their men unless the war went on for years.

Which meant that war was something the prince could joke about easily, unlike them.
The young man had a frown and look of disdain set on his face ever since he stepped into Cloud Recesses, his gait full of arrogance and haughtiness.

Much like Wen Chao in that regard, coming to threaten him about Wangji.

" Lan Zhongzhu, what an opportunity to meet the famous First Jade of GusuLan!" The prince bowed, the gesture empty and words a chess move.

" The pleasure is all ours, prince. It's an honour to host the Prince of North."

If the prince knew that he was the First Jade, then surely he must know of his skill with words.

The prince's smile tightened just a little, invisible to anyone who did not look closely. Straightening he roamed his eyes around, searching.
The surrounding was empty for him.

~°•♤•°~

The imperial rule never had any reason to visit Cloud Recesses before and so Cloud Recesses never had the reason to prepare itself for the event either.
Yes, they do have the main hall and some other rooms which are made specifically for Sect meetings and banquet and other celebrations but apart from a few adjustments in the kitchen and furniture now and then when hosting or organising anything, everything is same.

Same silver bells hanging everywhere with the baby blue banners depicting the Cloud signia and tassels accompanying it. Some places where they know the wind frequents, windchimes hung from the ceiling, a gentle revive amidst the silent abode.

Most buildings themselves have no major architecture style, most of it lost in the fire which burnt the whole Cloud Recesses. The people and records who built them lost to the mortal world, their knowledge scattered.

Even after the war ended and things started becoming normal, many never returned. They chose the simple life away from all the politics, cradled between the arms of nature- free of any obligations and rules.

For returning meant fighting and working for people who would rather save their own hide than worry about them.

The fate of the Dafan Wens were known to all.

Still, bits of it can be glimpsed in spaces of utmost importance; those situated in the backhills which survived the fire due to the ancient wards featuring the most magnificent and spectacular works.

All in all, after the battle of Nightless City; Cloud Recesses has not been the same, even after almost seventeen years have passed.

The prince does not let a chance go to remind them of this fact when faced with one. Ever since they entered the main hall, it's all he had been talking about. The elders are present as well since it would be rude to welcome the imperial prince in their absence.
Except, the Chief Cultivator is absent.

Since no one had commented on it Lan Xichen had been more than happy to keep it that way, least it rouse any suspicion. But the obvious could not go unnoticeable for long and before he could guess what was happening, the prince clapped slowly, mockingly.

" My, my. You say it's an honour for GusuLan to host me Lan Zhongzhu? Then why is the Chief Cultivator himself absent in the presence of such an important guest ? Surely, he would want to be here. "

Seeing the feigned shock and feeling the sarcasm dripping from each word, Lan Xichen bowed.
" Forgive our impudence your highness, but the Chief Cultivator is away on his duty and couldn't be here. "

He kept his eyes low and posture bend, avoiding any chance to be read. After a second in which everyone held their breath the prince laughed, the sound lighter and devoid of any meaning since his first sentence.

A few shoulders relaxed visibly, as visibly as a Lan would and Lan Xichen looked up, confused at the sudden change when the prince lifted him up from the bow.
" No need to bow to me as such Lan Zhongzhu, I understand. In fact, even I have encountered such situations when my brother is away and I have to explain that no, he is not deliberately absent. And being Chief Cultivator is hardly a walk in park. "

More like walk in hot lava. Lan Xichen thought.

"Lan Zhongzhu, Lan zhongzhu !"
Lan Xichen startled. The prince was looking at him strangely but didn't comment on his blank out.

" Hm. Let's start with the discussion for which you came here your highness, shall we ?"

°~•♤•~°

The discussion had stretched quite long. And for once, Lan Xichen found himself questioning the matter.

The prince has started with simple topics: imperial relations, trade routes, GusuLan's history, etc. But then the topics took a subtle but pointed turn in dangerous territory. The shift was so slight, one would think that the prince was talking in a normal flow but Lan Xichen had heard enough.

A remark on the trade routes, a proposal to strengthen trade and community in West, the almost innocent comment on their security wards, GusuLan's teachings and their reputation of infinite knowledge on spiritual energy and cultivating golden core- these topics were NOT something an imperial prince would know about.

Not unless he did his homework a bit too nicely.

Also, the duration of the meeting had been stretched too much. He needed to get out of here, his instincts were screaming at him to get out of the main hall. Get out and-get out and-and...and, and what ?

Go to Hanshi ? Go to Wangji ?

Yes. His brain supplied. But why ? Wangji was in the backhills as far as he knew and wouldn't come anywhere near the front unless this chaos ended.

Lan Xichen didn't know. But he knew that if he didn't end this meeting right now and saw something he would go insane.

"I think it's enough for today. Your Highness, you have travelled far and it would paint us in bad light if you don't allow us to show some hospitality. "

The prince had a frown on his face showing his displeasure at the interruption but he didn't argue.

Lan Xichen took it upon himself to escort the prince to his quarters; their walk was a devoid of any talk - Lan Xichen too tense to say something and the prince somehow perfectly content to maintain the silence.

Just as Lan Xichen turned around after showing the prince his room, the prince's voice came from behind,
" Ah Lan Zhongzhu."

Lan Xichen paused. The prince didn't say anything else but Lan Xichen knew there was more.

"Just because I accepted you game today doesn't mean I will listen everytime. I hope you know that. "

Lan Xichen didn't reply. The only sign that he heard the prince was his tight grip on Shohyue and slightly clenched jaw.

~•♤•~

Lan Wangji feels at edge most of the time these days. The feeling is not foreign, but SunShot Campaign has long passed and getting goosebumps or feeling watched like he is a hunted animal doesn't sit well with his body and mind.

Not when he spends most of the time in his Jingshi or in the rabbit meadow, playing his qin or watching the rabbits hop around. Sometimes he simply meditates; the practice soothing his mind and calming his heart- if only for a second. His state is not unlike seclusion, minus the burning pain of the scars.

They hurt, much so but the pain isn't overwhelming. Most days, he can keep the loudest of the whimpers and grunts of pain in, trapped behind his lips. Somedays, he cannot. The absence of the flow of energy flowing through his meridians and vessels makes him feel empty inside, like a hollowed out tree but it's Bichen which makes his eyes sting and throat clog.

He can still wield the sword, spiritual weapons do not require only core strength, they recognise the spirit. The reason Wei Wuxian was exposed. But the fact that he cannot bring out its true strength without his core is a stubborn thorn pricking him at unexpected times, catching him off guard when he he sweeps his eyes across the Jingshi and sees the sword propped against its stand. No matter how hard Lan Wangji tries, Jingshi cannot hide the weapon without him doing it.

And Lan Wangji doesn't want to.

It's as if the thought itself would cut off his final connection to cultivation and Lan Wangji will be left an ordinary man. Even playing Wangji hurts.
He wonders if this is what Wei Wuxian felt whenever he saw Subian. How had the others thrown words around casually, asking him for a duel or mocking him for not carrying his sword. Did Wei Ying also feel this emptiness? Did he also feel hollowed out ? On the brink of sanity, tethering on the edge between reality and darkness as he was already due to resentment, was it all darkness or did his loss also played a role ?

Seeing everyone carrying their spiritual weapon with them, showing off skills and use of spiritual energy without any preamble; how it must feel to be surrounded by the crowd of past, knowing you could do the same once but unable to now ?

Like a warrior amputated, forced to spend his life in a room- never to return to the frontlines, the battlefield. They say it's dangerous. But wielding sword and fighting is the life people like him chose and to be snatched off the opportunity, the path to lead a life like an ordinary man is synonymous to living in a prison.

Lan Wangji wonders if his mother felt like this. Locked away, secluded and spiritual sword snatched; doomed to wither away in the confines of the house mockingly called home.

Was it home? No breath knows.

In the backhills, on a untraced path, a crack sounded. A branch crushed.

~°♤°~

Happy New Year everyone!
Don't forget to vote and comment.

So here's another chapter. I swear this has gone longer than I intended it to, but I will finish it!

Workdays start day after tomorrow. Who gets only a three day holiday for new year ? Me.....🥲

Must Know: For those who don't know, people living on higher altitude usually have bland cuisine which leads to two things- one, they have heavenly skin and aura. Two, they have weak bones. Which means that a simple fall which might just be a sprain for those living in lower altitudes would be fatal for them.
Spice is actually extremely necessary for strengthening our bones and without it....you are as good as a barn doll.

Last edited : 1 January, 2022
I forgot the day of writing...🥲 but somewhere after 15 December 2021.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.5K 3.8K 62
Wei Ying had made it back from the dead, and the man that loved him more than life had was finally happy. As they uncovered the truth about Wei Ying...
19.1K 1.4K 47
This is a modern era au for MDZS(Mo Dao Zu Shi) The Cloud Recesses Bar is famous for its special alcohol, Emperor Smile, and of course unsurprisingl...
1.1M 49.1K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
46.5K 3.3K 41
"It's okay if you don't accept my feeling. It's okay if you hate me, But please, please stay by my side so I can protect you, guard you from being hu...