Dangerous Territory

بواسطة WildRhov

France, 1944. As the Allies land on the shores of Normandy, an unlikely friendship strikes up between Levi Ac... المزيد

BOOK ONE: NORMANDY - The German and the Jew
Nazis Have Mothers Too
La Résistance Française
Bathing by the River
Blood on the Mop
Weak and Filthy
The Lost Women in Our Lives
The Weight of a Whip
Rake the Coals Hotter
Overlord
The Sound of a Single Shot
The Importance of a Book
Nursing the Sick
Paris Est Délivré
Dignity Lost
Shattered Pride
Tinned Chocolates
A Loaf of Bread
The Darkest of All Secrets
A Bright Garden Walk
Dots and Dashes
Prison Break
Unneeded Tools
BOOK TWO: METZ - A Forest Ride
Witlof
The Nazi Wonder Drug
A Road Between Two Churches
A Dark Ride
Nearing the Border
Metz Arrival
Clarity in the Cathedral
The Window in the Attic
Promotions Well Earned
An Officer's Perks
Testing Loyalty
Pakt Mit Dem Teufel
What Does He See
Bath Salts and Liquid Shampoo
Monster in the Closet
Plus Jamais
Burgundy in the Storm
Sad Hero
Ein Verheirateter Mann
Rosh Hashanah
Cast All Sins into the Depths
Apples and Honey
Memories of Cuxhaven
The Man Under the Disguise
Soulmate
Bashert
Recon Mission
Day of Rest
Awakened By a Thunderstorm
The Leak in the Attic
A Bottle of Burgundy
Stumbling Lieutenant
A Bump in the Night
The British Gun
Debriefing
A Desperate Plan
Fallen
Wet Toes
Atonement
Yom Kippur Miracle
Patton's Move
Auf Wiedersehen
BOOK THREE: LORRAINE - Letters from Maizières-lès-Metz
It's All Burning Down
What Was It All For?
Cellar Reunion
Ancient Sanctuary
Full Moon
The Mouth's Blessing
Outside Nicolo's Restaurant
Dedicate Your Hearts
His Own Kind
Woermann's Deceit
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
Brothel Comfort
Kaleidoscope Light
Dream of You
The Knight
The Jewish Blade
Captive
The Storm That Was the Calm
Breaking the Calm
Hide Everything
Abschiedsgeschenk
The Internment Camp
Geheime Staatspolizei
By the Numbers
What Levi Knew
He Wanted to See You
The Freedom Group
Blood and Honor
A Sign From Above
Attack on Queuleu
Revenge for the Dead
Mercy
BOOK FOUR: ARDENNES - Time To Go
Invisible Pain
Sunday Drive

Braus Haus

175 9 3
بواسطة WildRhov

They left the hotel together with Levi holding onto Eren's arm, striding through the busy foyer like a normal German officer taking his lady out for the night. As they went outside into the heavy downpour, Eren opened an umbrella and held it over both him and Levi, tugging his boyfriend in a little closer so they both fit. Far off, they heard low rumbles of thunder, but the main storm had moved away.

Floch stood near the hotel entrance under an umbrella. His arm shot out in a salute to Eren, and then he bowed with a polite greeting to Frau Jäger. He led them to where he had parked the car and opened the backseat door, making sure his own umbrella kept the rain off as Levi climbed in. Eren climbed in after him, and Floch took their umbrella to put away on the front seat. They drove off into the shimmering wet streets of Metz.

"Where to first, sir?"

"A good place for lunch. After that, shopping, only this time, do you know of a place that sells menswear?"

"Menswear?" Floch asked in surprise, glancing in the rear view mirror to look at him.

"Louise wants to buy a gift for her cousin. Do you remember the man with the motorcycle?"

"Oh boy, do I. That bike was a machine of beauty! Boris, right?"

"Yes, he's in need of a backpack sturdy enough to travel on dirt roads with a motorcycle and keep the rain off his gear. Louise will be heading home soon, and she wants to buy a few things for her relatives."

"Heading home already?" Floch said with a frown.

"Oh, don't worry. You shouldn't need to drive her all that way again."

"I should hope not. Aren't the Americans somewhere around that area by now?"

"The Americans don't worry themselves over civilian farmers. She'll be fine."

"Pardon me for still worrying. This storm is intense. I heard this morning, a soldier in the barracks next to ours was out patrolling the Moselle, and the river suddenly crested its banks. It swept him away! If he's lucky, the Americans will fish him out downriver, and if not ... that's an awful way for a soldier to go."

The story worried Eren. What if Levi tried to follow the Moselle as he left, and the waters caught him in a flash flood? What if the ground was too saturated for him to run if he had to flee a patrol? What if...

Eren shoved all those worries aside.

Floch drove up to a small café. "I heard about this place from Moblit. You know he's a little bit more refined than the rest of us. If this place is good enough for his tastes, it should be nice enough for your wife."

He rushed out with the umbrellas and opened the door for them. Levi stepped out carefully, hating how the rain splashed up and made his ankles wet. Why in the world did women wear outfits like this? One would think they would wear shoes to keep their feet warm and dry, and at least trousers in the rain. Gender fashion made no sense to Levi.

They went inside, and both of them glanced around in surprise.

"It's ... a tea shop!" Levi whispered in awe.

The place was tiny, no more than six couples could sit inside at a time. There were shelves where, in better times, fine china would have been on display. Instead, the oak shelves stood bare, save for some tins of tea and an oriental-style vase that tried to make up for the barrenness.

The six tables were all tiny, meant for two, although perhaps three could have squeezed in. Delicate lace tablecloths draped over, like the place was designed by some aging woman yearning for the old days.

Indeed, the lady who came out was tiny, a bit portly, her brown hair pulled into a low bun, with strands of gray streaking randomly through like precious silver woven into a rare cloth. She had wrinkles around her dark brown eyes from a lifetime of smiling at customers. Her outfit was dark, solemn without being morbid, with a high neck and lace on the cuffs of her long sleeves, like it had been made back when Queen Victoria was still young.

"Guten Tag. Bon après-midi! My name is Lisa Braus. Welcome to Braus Haus."

"German?" Eren picked up right away.

The lady smiled pleasantly. "My husband's father came here during the Imperial days, and dear Artur wanted to keep the German name. I'm glad it pleases you, and I hope I can make you feel a bit like this is a home away from home. Please, sit anywhere you like. Plenty of room today."

"How have I never heard of this place?" Eren whispered in astonishment. "It's perfect!"

A tea shop, for his and Levi's final outing!

"I'm so glad you like it. I have a nice pot of chamomile on, but I also have black teas if you prefer."

"I'll have the chamomile," Eren said, and he glanced down at Levi, who looked like he was in a dreamy trance. "Do you happen to have any British teas?"

"Well, not by any British companies, but I have a nice Darjeeling with lavender and rose that I think your sweetheart will love. Give me just a few minutes, and please, look through the menu."

Eren had to take Levi by the shoulder and lead him over to a table. Even then he stared in a trance at the fine china. He picked up a teacup, glanced at the delicate pink design of roses, the shimmering gold edges, and looked at the bottom to see which company made this cup.

"This place should be sheltered and protected at all cost," he whispered.

Eren sighed in happiness that Levi approved. He owed Floch a whole basket of muffins for this gem.

Lisa brought out a cup of chamomile tea and a whole pot of Darjeeling. The scent of lavender and rose wafted up, like he and Levi were wrapped up in a garden, far away from war and chaos. They ordered scones with clotted cream, and although her selection was regretfully small, Lisa offered some egg salad sandwiches with watercress and carrots. When the tiny sandwiches came out, Eren looked at them strangely, but Levi's mouth dropped.

"This is nicer than some tea shops in London," he whispered when the lady was not around.

As they enjoyed the tea and nibbled the sandwiches and scones, Eren kept up a conversation in German all on his own. Mostly, Levi enjoyed simply gazing across the table at Eren. He wanted to remember everything about him: the color of his eyes, the shape of his nose, that adorable dimple he got when he chewed his food. Everything about him!

Lisa Braus bustled out again and eagerly offered them slices of a raspberry and chocolate cake she had baked the day before. A part of Eren wondered how this woman managed to make such delicious desserts with food rations, but upon the first taste of the cake, he would have written a letter to High Command himself petitioning to allow this woman to have all the sugar and flour she needed.

"This is truly amazing," Eren cried out, feeling like he could melt in bliss from the moistness of the cake. He looked across the table. "How is yours?"

Levi had been quiet, sipping his tea and daintily eating his scones. Eren wanted to be certain he was enjoying this.

Then he remembered why Levi was not speaking. For one, he and the shopkeeper were speaking in German. Levi had no idea what either of them were saying. But most importantly, he could not hint at his gender.

Still, Levi turned his eyes up to the portly woman and said in a high, soft voice, "C'est le meilleur gâteau que j'aie jamais mangé." This is the best cake I have ever eaten. Levi then looked across the table, took Eren's hand, and rubbed across the wedding ring with his own silver ring. "Merci, cher mari." Thank you, dear husband.

Now it was Eren's turn to wonder what Levi just said, and Levi's turn to smugly keep him in the dark.

They lingered in the café, wishing that life could be just like this, full of hot drinks, the smell of tea and flowers, the clatter of fine china, and the two of them enjoying their time together. Eren waited until Lisa had gone back into the kitchen before whispering in English.

"One day, you will own a shop like this."

Levi rolled his eyes. "I wouldn't want so many frills and lace."

"You will be free to design it in any way you like. I can't wait to see what a Levi Ackerman tea shop would look like."

Levi reached across again, and their hands held on tightly. "You have some nice dreams, takhshet."

His fingers squeezed. "When they're dreams of you, they are always nice."

Levi scoffed and shook his head, but he knew his cheeks were warming up.

* * *

Finally, they could linger no longer without it being an annoyance to the owner. Eren paid, and they went back out into the rain. Floch was playing cards in the front seat, and he jolted up as they came forward. Eren tossed him a bag of scones he had purchased.

"You deserve a medal for finding that place. It was perfect."

"I'm so glad to hear that, sir. I asked a local while you were away, and he told me about a good store for that traveling bag you mentioned."

"You talked to a local?" Eren muttered in curiosity, but he set that aside as Floch started up the car.

Floch drove them to a store that had camping and farming gear. The supplies were scant, but Eren was honestly shocked that they had anything left at all. So many city folks must have made a run on stores like this, buying whatever would help as they fled into the countryside to seek refuge before the battle began.

(mid-20th century French camping backpack)

Although quite expensive, they found a camping rucksack made of waterproofed canvas and leather, so it would be durable enough to hold a heavy load and waterproof to protect spare clothes and Levi's book. Eren eyeballed the size of the bag, taking into account how crammed Levi's current bag was, and how much more stuff would be in this one. It could not be outrageously large and weigh Levi down, but it needed to be a size that fit his gear.

While Levi tried on some clear vinyl rain ponchos that he could wear over his trench coat, Eren slipped away to the car and sat in the front with Floch. A whisper about what he wanted made Floch blush crimson.

"Why do you need that? She's already pregnant."

"She doesn't like to clean up the mess. You're not a virgin anymore; you know what sort of mess a man shoots into a woman."

Floch laughed awkwardly. "Actually, that night, I didn't ... I mean, she, um ... she used her mouth."

Now it was Eren's turn to blush. "Yeah, we've ... never mind! Let's hurry before Louise is finished."

They drove to the military hospital. There was a clinic just for sexual health, and both men decided to pick up some supplies the army provided for free. After that, they began to head back.

Floch suggested, "You should get her something special before she goes."

"I already did," Eren said, smiling as he thought about slipping on that ring. Of course, Levi would not wear a feminine ring like that all the time, but it was still nice to give it to him. "Also, I plan to take her to Nicolo's tonight."

"Oh! Frau Jäger will love that place. Do you mind if I go too? Obviously, not sitting next to you two," he assured. "Just dinner on my own."

"Eat wherever you want. If we take a while, you can simply wait in the car for us."

"Yes, sir! Take your time, of course."

They returned to the store. Floch again stayed in the car while Eren went in to find Levi sitting and waiting with shopping bags.

"Took you long enough," he whispered as Eren drew near.

"I got ... things ... for tonight."

Levi thought his embarrassed face was adorable, and he wanted to tease him more. Seeing no one nearby in the store, he asked, "Did you get enough?"

Eren's mouth dropped. Enough? Just what was Levi planning to do? "They only gave me three."

Levi nodded as if thoughtfully taking that into consideration. "I can hold back a bit."

Eren sputtered out something before struggling to keep quiet. Levi smirked. Seeing Eren blush in the bedroom was one thing, but teasing him in public was a lot more fun.

"What's next?"

Eren cleared his throat, trying to regain some composure.

They spent the afternoon looking through stores. Although Floch offered to come along and hold onto the umbrella, Eren did not want him to see what they were buying, just in case it was suspicious. Black clothing, extra socks, rugged boots, as well as small gear that Levi could carry with him, like matches, a torch, and a small aluminum pot they saw and realized it would come in handy without adding too much weight.

To disperse any suspicion, they bought only one or two items per store. They whispered together in English, constantly looking around to make sure no one could overhear them, and always worried that each item might give away their plans.

After depositing some more bags with Floch, Eren strode slowly down the street with Levi. They had all they really needed, but he liked to look through the windows and see things he wished he could buy for Levi, if life was just a little different. There was a display of leather belts, woolen gloves, books, and a cravat that he knew would look stylish wrapped around Levi's throat.

He wished they could have another day, another week, a lifetime to stroll together, taking long walks with no destination, just the two of them side by side, and without a rainstorm to ruin the mood.

Still, hiding under an umbrella like this was romantic in its own way. He wrapped his arm around Levi, happy to feel the warmth of his body so close to his own. He wished they could have had only a light rain, enough to need the umbrella without actually worrying about getting too wet, with empty streets so Levi could wear his normal clothes and walk in normal shoes. He wished he could have looked down and saw the black undercut, not a blond wig.

Still, he was happy with what they were able to do. He wished time would simply stop and let him bask in this feeling of happiness.

They both heard noisy laughter up ahead. Levi felt Eren tense up and looked around the street in worry. Ahead, he recognized some of Eren's squad.

"Merde!" he hissed.

Connie, Thomas, and Franz were ambling down the street, swirling their umbrellas around until they almost hit other people. Despite being only in the afternoon, they were quite obviously drunk and loud as they took up most of the sidewalk. Eren thought about turning down another street, but he heard Connie's voice hailing him.

"Eren!" Connie splashed through puddles as he ran up to him. "We miss you in the barracks. Dieter played a prank on Jurgen, but Jarnach ended up drenched in a whole pail of spoiled milk. Oh God, you should have seen Moblit! That was the first time I'd ever heard that man curse in anger."

Eren shook his head. "I swear, when Jean and I aren't around, you men get into all sorts of mischief."

"Good afternoon, Frau Jäger," Thomas said with a genteel bow. "How are you feeling?"

Levi kept his head down, and his grip on Eren tightened.

Connie leaned in close to see past the water cascading off the umbrella. "Eh? Now that I look at you, you're really cute." He punched Eren in the arm. "You lucky devil! How did you find such a cute little wife?"

Franz leaned in. "Is she really cute? Come on, look up and give us a smile. We don't bite."

Connie quipped, "That's not what your last prostitute said."

Levi felt they were way too close, and he forced his head further down, crushing Eren's arm as the instinct to bolt was overwhelming.

Eren pushed Franz away. "Back the hell off," he warned fiercely. "You'll splash the rain on her."

"Quiet, isn't she?"

"She's just skittish from the war."

"Oh," they all said, nodding in understanding.

Connie pointed out, "This war is going to make for a lot of women who need the protection of a strong man."

Thomas hummed with a firm nod. "I plan to find myself a couple of those women."

"Why stop at two?" asked Franz, and the soldiers all laughed again.

"You speak German, right?" Connie asked Louise. "I'm pretty sure I had a conversation with you at the wedding reception, although I have to admit, that was after around five beers."

Eren told them, "Her grandfather is an Imperial Navy veteran. She's fluent in German, but she has had a sore throat for a few days. It's nothing serious, but her voice is raspy."

"She's a delicate thing, eh?" mused Thomas.

Franz snorted a laugh. "Aren't you too much of a Hunter for a tiny rabbit?"

Eren shrugged playfully. "Rabbits are tiny, but they make lots of babies."

"True," Franz decided, "and the world needs more Aryans."

"Where are you troublemakers off to in this storm?"

"Finding women, of course!" said Connie.

"Even you, Franz?" asked Eren.

"Are you kidding?" laughed Thomas. "He hires prostitutes more than any of us."

Franz shrugged widely. "My wife is all the way back in the Sudetenland. I wouldn't mind leaving a few more expectant mothers here in France. It would help spread the seeds of Aryanism, and my wife would never know."

"Until I write her a letter," Connie teased. "Dear Frau Kefka..."

Franz looked enraged. "You better not!"

Thomas turned to Eren. "Too bad you got married or you could join us."

"He still can," said Franz. He elbowed Eren and winked. "Just because we're married, it's still healthy to have an active sex life."

Thomas shook his head. "Yeah, but unlike you, his active sex life is standing right next to him." He turned to Levi and tipped his hat. "Forgive him, ma'am. He's drunk."

"Shut up! You're drunk!"

Eren realized that this fake marriage gave him a perfect excuse to avoid all the usual drunken trawling for women. His platoon's time resting and recovering in Paris had stretched his excuses thin.

"Get out of here," Eren chuckled. "Remember, there's drills in the morning. Don't drink too much."

"We'll be too busy fucking for drinking," Connie said, waving goodbye as the three left. "Enjoy your evening, Frau Jäger. Feel better soon so you can bear him a good, strong son, yeah?"

Eren sighed as they left. Levi's grip on his arm loosened once they were back to a quiet street. Eren looked over to Levi, worried if that scene ruined the afternoon.

"Let's head back to the car," he whispered.

Levi nodded and grumbled, "The sooner we get out of sight, the better."

"How about we go on a drive before dinner?"

Levi liked that idea, anything to not be standing in those women's shoes. His ankle had begun to ache again, and the last thing he needed before going on the run was a twisted ankle.

They went through the steady rain to the car, and Eren told Floch to simply cruise around the city. He did, and in the backseat Eren dove onto Levi. He had really riled him up earlier, making him imagine a million scenarios of what Levi had planned for later that night. He desperately needed a little taste now to get him through the afternoon.

Floch tried hard not to look as he heard the sounds of kissing with Eren's amorous whispers. He kept driving, enjoying the sights on his own, blushing as he refused to look back at the two making out.

Levi loved to kiss Eren like this. There was something about the semi-privacy of a car while still being in public. He only wished he could say something back to him. Anything! He wished he could tease Eren, praise him, tell him to do more, or just whisper his name over and over. Instead, while he loved the raw passion of those kisses, a part of his mind had to be vigilant not to make a noise.

That was really hard when Eren's hand went down to his groin. Luckily, upon feeling the skirt, Eren flinched back. He had honestly forgotten just how dolled up Levi was. He pulled back long enough to see Levi flushed, with makeup shadowing his heated eyes and the blond wig slightly in disarray. Eren smoothed down some strands of fake hair, and his fingers caressed down Levi's cheek, feeling the heat there, and down his neck. He saw Levi jolt, his body quivered slightly as it arched on the backseat bench, although he held back from making a sound. Then Eren leaned back in, softer this time, kissing Levi deeply yet without the frantic need to devour him.

It was nearly half an hour before Eren finally pulled up again, feeling a little too aroused for a simple drive around town. Levi could not help but snort a laugh, although he covered it up with a high titter. His lipstick was all over Eren's mouth, staining his lips red. Silently, he pointed to his own lips. Eren straightened up, pulled out a handkerchief, and tried to wipe the makeup off.

Levi took the cloth away, pulled Eren's face toward him, and cleaned him up himself. He even spit on the cloth as one lip mark on his chin refused to wipe away.

There! Better!

He kissed his finger and placed that against Eren's lips, so that the makeup would not transfer over.

"Floch," Eren called over to the front seat. "Take us to the restaurant."

"I can keep driving if you want, sir."

"No, we should eat before we get carried away."

Floch smiled to himself and turned a corner to head toward the restaurant.

# # #

# #

#

(my new-old pot)

I love old tea sets. My grandmother gave me dozens of her antique teacups and saucers, some over 100 years old, since I was the only grandchild to appreciate antiques. This past summer for my birthday, I bought myself a 140-year-old teapot, a lucky find at an antiques mall. So of course, while writing the tea shop scene, I made a delightful pot of lavender Earl Grey.

Lisa Braus – In the anime, this is Sasha's mother. I don't say here if Sasha is related to her, but how ironic and tragic, if Sasha sacrificed herself to save Levi, and he later got to enjoy Sasha's mother's tea and cakes. She is a treasure and her store must be protected!

"my husband's father came here during the Imperial days" – Metz was part of Imperial Germany from 1870-1918. During that time, there was a boom in architecture with a distinct German style. When you arrive in Metz by train, that is the first thing you will see, what is now called Quartier Impérial. Teutonic and gothic styles flourish in this area. During the Nazi occupation, this was a popular area for soldiers, since it reminded them of home.

(original WW2 German condom... the internet is a weird place)

Both Axis and Allies had problems with STDs during the war, and that led to condoms escaping their social stigma and becoming more common. Military clinics had posters urging men to use condoms. This not only helped minimize sexually transmitted diseases, but prevent unwanted pregnancies, which was great since abortion was either illegal or highly dangerous during that time.

One positive side effect was that it decriminalized condoms in America and helped to make birth control a more accessible option for women after the war... although that is still attacked by religious zealots. Looking at you, TEXAS!

On the German side, a soldier was sometimes allowed one free night with a prostitute if he promised to use a condom. Over on the Allied side, the American Army handed out three free condoms as part of a soldier's weekly rations. They became so common among soldiers, there is a story about German soldiers being hospitalized with scabies after British spies infected a supply of condoms. Talk about a dick move.

* https://www.vox.com/videos/2018/12/21/18151718/world-war-ii-venereal-disease

* https://unrealfacts.com/condoms-illegal-united-states/

* https://english.pravda.ru/society/88868-army_sex/

Vintage rain poncho – The 1930s and 40s saw materials like vinyl and chemically treated waterproof fabrics coming into popular usage. This idea started with the mac (a Scottish rubberized raincoat) in the previous century, then the trench coat of World War I, chemically treated to repel rain. Firestone created raincoats made of a plastic fabric called Velón, for which they won the Fashion Academy Gold Medal Award. Waterproofing could also be achieved with tightly-woven material like tweed or gabardine.

Personal note: I own a vintage military trench coat and can affirm, it repels the rain quite nicely. I once got stuck at a bus stop in a typhoon with no rain gear; between my wool flat cap and that Navy trench coat, I was perfectly fine. My face and socks were drenched, but my clothes under the coat were dry. I still prefer to wear a plastic rain coat if I know a storm is coming. (We don't really "do" umbrellas in Oregon.)

If you remember from Act One, Franz Kefka is married, and his wife (Hannah Diamant) is expecting a baby. So yeah ... husband of the year award.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

1.1M 49.5K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
134K 3.6K 74
Stray Kids is on tour! Ella wins a prize at the concert that ends up turning her entire life upside down. She uncovers the dark secrets to K-Pop and...
344K 16.6K 77
Kang y/n was always been the black sheep of the family. Overshadow by her extremely talented, gorgeous sister Roseanne . Who has the world revolve a...
159K 7.4K 52
Four siblings, two elder brothers and two younger sisters living with their rich parents!! Get ready to enter the life of these siblings and their fa...