BLACKOUT :: REWIND // A Harry...

Od anenglishbird

soulmate /ˈsəʊlmeɪt/ noun 1. a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner. What i... Více

MOODBOARD :: PREVIEW
ONE :: INCEPTION
TWO :: ARRIVAL
THREE :: REFLEX
FOUR :: INDUCTION
FIVE :: SHATTER
SIX :: FRACTURE
SEVEN :: COLLIDE
EIGHT :: INVITATION
NINE :: ENCOUNTER
TEN :: OCCASION
TWELVE :: CONVULSION
THIRTEEN :: TURBULENCE
FOURTEEN :: HOMECOMING
FIFTEEN :: INTEGRATE

ELEVEN :: DEPARTURE

229 19 8
Od anenglishbird

Madeleine could hear the rain. As she pretended to sleep soundly on the very edge of her bed, staring towards the window through a gap between her duvet and her pillow, she could hear each individual droplet pelt against the glass, lulling her back to sleep. She could feel Mason's hand on her hip, lightly squeezing and occasionally stroking her skin. It tickled when he did, and she had to force herself not to move. She didn't want to engage in any conversation with him yet. Alcohol consumption and fainting last night aside, she still remembered what he'd said.

No matter the rain, it was still a bright day outside. At least, that's what her chiffon curtain told her. She wasn't entirely sure if that was really the case. It behaved like a filter - holding back the negative aspects to present her with only the positive, although if she couldn't hear the rain, she'd be lured into a false sense of security. That seemed to happen to her a lot.

After a little while longer, Mason rolled his way out of bed and got himself dressed. Still Madeleine refused to move, but she knew he wouldn't just get up and leave without saying anything.

He'd be going for a run.

She waited again, listening not only for the flat door but also the building door to bang shut, before she finally managed to stretch out into her own bed in peace. Mason's side was still warm, but it wasn't a comfort to her at all. It was a reminder that he'd been there, and would be coming back.

Once she was fully awake and satisfied, she climbed out of bed and made herself some breakfast. While the kettle was boiling she put some pyjamas on - a green pair of chenin bottoms and a matching oversized jumper. She also brushed through her hair, feeling the ache of it after having it up so tightly the night before. She'd plait it once she'd eaten. Decided that she wouldn't be leaving the flat today, she tucked herself back into bed and watched the Saturday morning news with her porridge and her tea.

The images on the TV screen blurred as she watched it. She wasn't really paying attention to world's matters. In fact she barely remembered eating breakfast at all, because the face of the man she met the night before - Harry, with the loud suit and sheer shirt -, kept distracting her thoughts. As it had been since the moment she laid eyes on him, his beautiful face plagued every conscious (and unconscious) thought she'd had. Those two instances where she'd seen him - running into him, and in Charlotte's office - repeated over and over in her mind as if the moving images were tattooed on the insides of her eyelids.

Something about Harry felt different. She was on edge all day yesterday, as if her body was preparing her to meet this random stranger. And while they'd barely exchanged two words to one another, the way he looked at her had been overwhelming. He'd never met her but he looked at her like she were a priceless oil painting - one that even Mason would be proud to ever restore. But that was just the difference. Already, after not knowing the man for even 12 hours. Mason had spent a year trying to 'restore' Madeleine to an acceptable level that he could get on with. Harry already looked at her as if he wouldn't change a thing.

Her thoughts began to irritate her. How could she get such a powerful and overwhelming feeling about a man she didn't know. Because she really didn't know Harry, in any capacity. She knew by word of mouth that he was a talent scout, and that he wore loud clothes. But that was it. And yet, from no more than five minutes total in his presence, she felt an undeniable connection to this man. A connection she didn't even know she was capable of having, or feeling.

Madeleine had never outwardly craved the company of anyone, especially not men, and certainly not in a romantic capacity. But in that moment, sitting up in bed with her last spoonful of porridge swirling its way stodgily around her mouth, she had never yearned for someone's physical presence more. She wanted to see Harry again. She had no idea how she was going to even attempt to quash the desire, not that she really wanted to at all. Craving the attention of another person when she couldn't give the same in return to the man she was already seeing was about to prove itself to be Madeleine's biggest challenge.

Mason returned around an hour after he'd left, soaked with sweat and rain. Madeleine still barely looked at him, a false investment on an irrelevant news story.

"Didn't want to wait for me to eat?" He asked dryly as he removed his running shoes in the hallway.

"I was hungry." She said simply, glancing to the empty bowl and instead collecting her cooled tea.

"Right." He mumbled. He wandered into the room and collected her bowl from where she left it, walking it to the sink. He then announced, "I'm gonna have a bath."

Madeleine never answered. She kept her gaze on the telly, only looking towards the bathroom door once it was closed again. Not that she ever had done before, but she refused to be belittled and controlled by him. She didn't need to be watched and babied all the time - she was a grown woman. It wasn't her fault that he had some kind of inferiority complex.

Mason's bath was quick, mostly because he'd always shown a disdain towards them but also to no doubt ensure that he could have his eyes on Madeleine for as long as possible. When he appeared from the bathroom, she could feel his gaze on her at all times. He was shameless - dropping his towel in the middle of the floor and wandering around the room naked for a moment before he actually dressed. When he was done, he walked over to the bed and sighed.

"Are you ever going to look at me-,"

The door knocked.

Madeleine's gaze drifted to the door, expression blank. Mason huffed, and turned away again to go and answer it. She watched and listened to hear out for whoever was on the other side of the door, not expecting anyone as far as she could remember. The immediate palaver that ensued once the door was open meant that she didn't even need to guess who it was - her mother. Whether it be on Mason's instruction or by her own free will (both were equally likely), Mandy had got on a plane at some point in the last 8 hours to come back to Bristol.

After a loud and overly comfortable greeting between Mason and Madeleine's mother, Mandy blew into the room with an eager urgence, making straight for the bed where Madeleine was still sitting.

"Hi, baby." She cooed, immediately bringing her daughter into a firm hold.

"Hi, Mum." Madeleine sighed into her mother's shoulder.

"Are you alright, how are you feeling?" She hummed warily, pecking Madeleine's cheek.

"I feel fine, honestly." She insisted, but allowed for her mother to fawn over her face and her arms for a moment, even if reluctantly. "Thank you for coming."

"Nonsense, of course I came. Even if Mason didn't want me to." She joked, winking in his direction where he stood leaning against the kitchen counter.

He rolled his eyes. "That is not what I said. I just meant I was more than capable of looking after her in your absence."

"And that may well be, but she's my baby and she's poorly."

"I'm not poorly, I feel genuinely fine."

"Well, you're obviously not fine since you keep passing out all the time." Mason said bitterly.

Madeleine ignored him. "Is Dad here?"

"Of course, he's just trying to source a hotel." Mandy smiled, taking Madeleine's hand and bringing it to her lips. "He'll be over later."

"Okay."

Mandy looked to Mason calmly. "Mason, why don't you go and find us all some breakfast and bring it back here? I'm starving and I know Martin will be, too."

"Maddy's already eaten." He returned flatly.

"And what about you? Aren't you hungry?"

His teeth clenched briefly, like he wanted to retort further, but he'd just made a snide comment about Madeleine eating without him, and he knew it would be contradictory otherwise. "Fine."

"If you find Martin first, he'll help and pay for it."

"Money isn't the problem, Mandy."

"Forgive me, I didn't mean to insult you. I meant it more as our treat."

"Okay. Which hotel is Martin booking in at?" He asked, still clearly with a chip on his shoulder.

"The Harbour. We liked it there last time."

Mason made for the door, "Alright, I'll try and find him."

"Thank you, Mason." Mandy called.

There was an uncomfortable silence as Mason put his shoes back on, and left the flat with a rather petulant and unnecessary slam of the door.

Madeleine's exhale was filled with agony as she flopped back down on her back. "I'm sorry he's being such a twat to you, Mum."

"What are you apologising for?" She scoffed, patting Maddy's thigh. "It's not your fault he's got a bee in his bonnet about something."

"Well, it kind of is. We had an argument last night at that dinner and he's taking it out on other people."

"Still not your fault, Maddy. His bad manners and rude behaviour are his choice, not yours. The way he reacts as a product of your fight is completely down to him and nobody else."

Madeleine squeezed her eyes shut, dragging her hands down her face. "I don't know what to do, Mum. Everything's changing."

Mandy frowned, tucking a stray strand of hair out of Madeleine's face. "What do you mean, baby?"

"Like, not just with Mason, but other things, too. I feel different, and I don't know if my blackouts are related to it, or if it's something else entirely, but something really w-"

She was cut off by the sound of a knock on the door.

Mandy glanced to the door and then back to her daughter again. "Hold that though, it's probably your dad."

Madeleine sighed as her mother climbed off the bed to go and answer the door. She sat up, leaning forwards a little to see who it was, but she was nowhere near in sight of the doorway.

"Hi, can I help you?" She heard her mother ask.

Apparently it wasn't Martin at the door.

"Sorry..." A deep voice greeted, one that made Madeleine's heart plummet, yet her stomach flutter wildly. A voice that she'd barely heard before, but was now so recognisable that it made her feel as if light was bursting from every cell in her body. "Does Madeleine live here?"

"Yes..." Mandy returned, perplexed. "Are you a friend of hers?"

There was an awkward cough. "No, not really. We, er, met last night. Sort of. I was with her when she fainted. I live in the flat downstairs."

"Oh!" Mandy gasped. "You're Harry?"

He laughed uneasily. "Yeah, that's me."

"Hi, I'm Mandy. Your landlady."

"Oh, right. Hello."

Madeleine rolled her eyes, growing impatient.

"Come in, she won't mind."

Speak for yourself, Madeleine thought.

"Thank you."

Mandy reappeared with a beaming smile. "Maddy, you've got a visitor."

Then, from around the doorframe and wearing a rather sheepish expression, appeared the same Harry from last night, except much more dressed down. His shoulders were slightly hunched, hands shoved into the pockets of his brown trousers, Under a blue and white check shirt jacket he wore a simple white t-shirt with the word 'sex' printed on the front, and a pair of dirty white Vans.

Madeleine's cheeks pinked at the sight of him, feeling immensely underdressed. Her hair was still unbrushed and down after sleeping, still only in her pyjamas. She swallowed thickly, crossing her legs under her duvet.

That strange feeling she had last night when she ran into him returned. She felt at immediate peace (fluster aside), she felt like she'd known this man forever without actually knowing him at all. She looked at him now knowing that she'd happily never look at another human being again, but where this feeling came from was utterly inexplicable. But even not knowing made little difference to her, because she knew this way she felt wasn't going to change. It was cemented in her, and it was an utterly alien feeling.

"Morning," He finally said.

"Hi," She just about managed.

He cleared his throat again, his eyes burning with curiosity. "Um, I'm sorry for just turning up like this, but it just clicked with me last night after we left that we're neighbours, and... well, I wanted to make sure you're alright."

"Oh, yeah, thank you." She returned in a slightly broken fashion. "I'm fine, it happens a lot at the moment, but I'm all good. Nothing to worry about, really."

"It happens a lot?" He asked, brows and eyes filled with concern.

"Well, about once a month."

Harry knew after last night's little bicker with Mason that they had no idea why it was happening to her, and not for lack of trying to find out, either. It still deeply concerned him, but where his concern stemmed from for this stranger was the real mystery. "Are they bad?"

"Um, I don't think so. Past couple of times I've had a nosebleed, but apart from that it's just... lost time."

"Really?" His eyes bugged.

"Harry, would you like a hot drink?" Mandy interrupted.

"Oh, no thank you. I can't stay too long. I just wanted to make sure Madeleine was alright." He smiled flatly, only briefly glancing at Mandy.

"Well, I'm sure she appreciates that. Don't you, Maddy?"

"I do." She returned, an unfamiliar genuinity to her tone. "A lot."

The two watched each other for a moment without saying anything, mostly because there wasn't much to be said.

"And I think it's such a lovely coincidence that the two of you live in the same building." Mandy continued. "And work in the same place."

"Yeah." Harry laughed.

"Can't believe you've been around since January and we've not run into each other until now." Madeleine mused.

He swallowed thickly, nodding. "Well, I was thinking about it, and there were actually a few near run-ins."

Madeleine blinked, and then her mouth fell. "The day outside the library."

Harry frowned. "When?"

"Sit down if you want, Harry." Mandy muttered quietly, pointing to the bed as she turned away towards the kitchen.

He glanced behind him, and then to Maddy for confirmation.

She lightly nodded, rearranging her duvet. "Must've been your first day? You ran out of the library and nearly hit me with the door."

Harry's gaze widened as he tentatively sat down on the edge of the bed. "That was you?"

"Yeah... Why, when were you thinking of?"

"Um, I accidentally tried to get into your flat the day I moved in. And I think I brushed past you in the market one Saturday. And we were also sat on tables next to each other in that cafe up the road."

As Harry listed off all of their close encounters, Madeleine slowly began to realise something - she had blacked out after every single one of them. "Holy shit."

"I know." Harry laughed once. "Weird fluke or what?"

"Yeah, really weird."

Another moment of silence followed, which Mandy decided to fill with the sound of a boiling kettle. Madeleine sent a glare her way for being so conspicuous, and took a deep breath.

"I actually thought your, er, boyfriend would be here." Harry commented.

"He was. Missed him by about two minutes."

"Shame."

Mandy sniggered, glancing over her shoulder between filling two mugs with tea bags and sugar. "Was that sarcasm I just detected, Harry?"

"Me?" He smirked. "Never."

"Feel free to speak your mind, lad." Mandy encouraged. "The narcissist in him would probably enjoy knowing people were talking about him when he wasn't in the room - positively or not."

Harry smiled, but looked at his lap. "No, it's really not my place to say. And I don't want to offend or upset anyone."

"You wouldn't." Madeleine said without feeling.

"Are you sure you don't want a cup of tea or coffee, Harry?" Mandy asked again, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"No, no, honestly. I'm fine. I should actually probably go - my friend is waiting for me and I really need to get her back to London."

"Alright, well, don't let us keep you. Although I have to say, it's very gentlemanly of you to drive her all the way back to London." Mandy teased.

"Ah, don't be fooled." Harry joked as he stood again. "I need to be in London for this evening anyway, I'm not as chivalrous as I appear."

"Oh, well you have a lovely time."

"I will, thank you." He hummed, looking directly at Madeleine. "When, er, when I come back I'll stop by your studio?"

Madeleine ignored the excited fuzzy feeling in her stomach and nodded eagerly. "Yeah, whenever you want."

"Wicked." He grinned.

"You'll have to come over for dinner or something next weekend, Harry." Mandy suggested as he made a move for the door.

"Come over where?" Madeleine asked bemusedly. "I don't have the space to host a dinner party."

"Or go out for dinner, it doesn't matter." She shrugged.

"Well," Harry swallowed thickly, "I'd love to do either-or, but I won't be back until next month-"

"What?" - "Why?" Mandy and Madeleine asked at the same time.

"I'm going to Japan for a month for work. My flight is tonight out of Heathrow."

"Oh..." Madeleine sank down again. She felt the most disheartened she had been in a very long time. "Well, when you come back, then."

"Definitely." He smiled warmly. "Look after yourself, Madeleine."

"And you, Harry."

"Bye, Mandy." He waved limply.

"Yeah, bye, Harry. Safe flight."

Madeleine watched as he disappeared from the room, a strange longing for him settling within her as soon as he was gone. She dropped her head into her pillow with a pout, not only bewildered by her sudden attachment to this handsome man, but also guilty for her feelings. In 15 months with Mason she'd never once felt an ounce this strongly. She didn't even think she had it in her, and yet here she was - pining after a man she hardly knew.

"He is the most gorgeous man I've ever seen." Madeleine said to the room.

"He's certainly a good-looking boy." Mandy agreed, though her voice held a distant quality.

"Mum, he's beautiful. And nice."

"That he is."

Madeleine lifted her head. "He's been around every time I've fainted. Every. Time. Is that not really weird? Like, what kind of fucking coincidence is that?"

Mandy wandered across the room to the bed and sat down in the same place Harry had been. "A big one."

Madeleine frowned and sat up again. "Why are you so quiet all of a sudden? You were just badgering the boy about dinner and now you won't put two words together. What's going on?"

Her mother sighed as she cupped her face, stroking her thumb across her round cheek. "When your dad and Mason get back and we've eaten, I think you and I need to go for a little walk while you've got the strength."

"What does that mean?" Madeleine asked, feeling a lump in her throat. "While I've got the strength to what?"

Mandy pressed her lips together tightly. "There's something I need to tell you."

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

17.9K 1.6K 39
NOT AN ARRANGE MARRIAGE>>>> "Remember you told me that sometimes soulmates isn't your lover it can be your best friend too and may be i find my soulm...
554K 16.9K 25
【 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐔 】 𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐖𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐲 ♡ 𝐅𝐞𝐦!𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫 ♡ 𝐆𝐞𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐞 𝐖𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐲 Everyone has a soulmate. The String of Fate w...
867K 42.4K 31
[A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY] If you touch your skin with ink, the marks you make will appear on your soulmate's skin too. Those who have this power...
6.1K 297 45
What if one day your so called perfect life disappeared? Everyone thinks Everleigh Andrews has it all, the perfect job, the perfect friends, the per...