...

由 DamselinaDirtyDress

更多

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six

Chapter Four

20.3K 580 10
由 DamselinaDirtyDress

ABOUT AN HOUR later we lay on our cloaks, full of food and feeling calmer, almost satisfied. Audi and Lucky seemed happy enough with their meal of beans and dried meat and we knew we had enough food to last a few days which helped soothe some of our anxiety.

'What do we do next?' Loi asked.

We fell silent all considering then I spoke up. 'Shelter.'

'Let's explore,' suggested Sian.

Kassie sat up. 'We really need to find a town or city, our supplies aren't going to last that long.'

We got into an earnest discussion of survival when Audi gave a sudden low growl.

Huh?

I twisted to look at her then stiffened.

The dog crouched, staring out into the forest with a lowered head, body tense and ready. The fur around her shoulders and neck fluffed out mane like, with her tail low and stiff. Audi's tan muzzle wrinkled with a snarl before she gave a short angry warning bark. I stared, feeling my heart start to race then turned, looking for whatever she'd seen.

KASSIE CROUCHED, HANDS pressed to the grass while she slowly scanned the forest. Her heart pounded when Audi snarled again and she almost missed it, her eyes not deciphering the tall figure that stood back amongst a number of saplings; but her mind registered the shape.

Her neck stiffened and stomach felt like it plummeted to the ground. Barely daring to breathe she dragged her gaze back, silently praying she'd seen wrong. A breath hitched in her throat and everything stopped for an instant.

She gasped, pulling back and gestured with a harsh whisper. 'THERE!'

The others froze.

'Oh God, what is that?' Loi whispered.

SIAN SHOOK HER head, mute with shock. The creature didn't budge. It just stood there, observing them. It didn't look like anything she'd seen before, not even in movies; at least six feet tall with long limbs and brown green mottled skin, the creature had a horrid humanoid face with a hint of muzzle protruding and a heavy brow ridge.

The quiver and bow lay before her near the fire but she didn't have any desire to actually use them, just to grab them and get the hell out of there. She twisted to look at Cat who sat near her.

SIAN'S EYES WERE as wide as saucers when she looked my way.

Keeping my eyes on her I spoke softly, 'I think we should pack up. Quickly and quietly guys.'

They nodded and we shuffled around, stuffing everything into the packs, Kassie somehow ended up with a full one. The snap of twigs alerted us to another of those creatures quite a bit closer.

I could see this one more clearly and the sight made my blood run cold. The skin looked clammy like an amphibian and its hands were tipped with talon-like nails. I shuddered in disgust. It stayed there, silent and observing like the other one but you could sense their intent. A strange predatory energy seemed to resonate off them.

Audrey kept up her low angry growl, punctuated with the occasional sharp bark, eyes fixed on the first creature.

The weapons made sense now.

'Strap on your weapons,' I insisted and we set to getting them on.

Loi's long sword had a scabbard that could be worn across the back or on the hip. My sword scabbard did the same and Sian helped me get it on my back, lifting it up my arms while I rolled my shoulders to help get the straps in place, our gazes constantly watching those two creatures. Loi had hers on in a flash but then she'd worn them before. I hastily buckled the daggers onto my arms and Loi fastened the strap that ran from shoulder to shoulder.

Kassie moved slowly to Loi's side. 'Loi, can I pop Lucky in your pack?'

Loi quickly lowered the pack to the ground, keeping her eyes on the creatures. Kassie opened the pack and tried to get Lucky in it. The cat protested loudly and we all winced at the sound but the creatures didn't move. More forceful this time, Kassie stuffed Lucky in, snapping the cover shut. Loi slipped the pack on.

'Right, let's go,' Kassie said in a firm but quiet voice, tugging the straps of her scabbard tighter.

'Where?' I hissed.

She nodded beyond where I stood and I turned. There appeared to be a track, though not much of one.

I turned back and met her questioning gaze with a shrug. 'It could be a path.'

'Have to do,' she retorted while staring at the other two.

Loi looked pale and managed a nervous nod.

Sian motioned us to step closer and spoke quietly. 'We're going to need to run. Kassie and Loi, you guys lead. Cat, you and I'll take up the rear. Loi, keep your sword drawn. You too, Cat, and give me one of your daggers.'

I nodded and slipped a dagger out of its sheath handing it over then drew my sword, struggling with the length until Kassie flicked the tip out. My heart pounded in my chest. The rush of adrenaline made me dizzy, my stomach queasy.

Loi touched my shoulder, her eyes anxious and voice strained. 'Hold it low with the point raised slightly, remember to lift it as you go over things and be aware of where the end is. You don't want to skewer any of us by accident.'

I squeezed her arm gently and met her gaze with as reassuring a look as I could muster. 'I'll manage.' I sounded far more confident than I felt in that moment.

We shifted positions and stared at each other for an instant.

Then Kassie's face wrinkled in a scowl before she snapped in a stage whisper, 'Now!'

We raced off. Crashes and furious shrieks came from behind. I didn't dare look back in case I lost track of the end of my sword.

Sian risked a quick glance. 'Move it guys!'

LOI'S PULSE THROBBED at her temple and she willed the migraine away.

That's the last thing I need right now, she thought, focusing on the scant track they followed. Please, please let this lead somewhere, somewhere safe!

Behind her, Cat gave a sharp shout for Audrey who barked furiously sounding even further back. The crashing noises following them seemed to pause for a moment before starting again. Something furry brushed against Loi's calf and she jerked away with a gasp. Kassie gripped her arm tightly, pulling her in the right direction and relief made her temple pound again when she realized Audrey raced alongside them.

'Okay?' Kassie panted.

'Okay!'

MY BREATH BURNED in my chest while I willed my legs to move faster. The narrow track veered all over the place; we ducked under branches and dodged around trees. Woody fingers ripped at my face while I followed as close to Loi as I dared, my mind shouting instructions while I ran.

Sword up, Cat, watch where the end is. Bloody hell!

I tripped but managed to stay up.

'Careful!' Sian gasped.

Terror crept into my belly and made my knees feel wobbly and useless.

No, I thought fiercely, pay attention, watch where you place your feet. I kept my view narrow focusing on the path. The forest flew by in a blur of greens and browns.

Please don't let there be any more of those things out there. There's no way I would see them.

FOCUS! I brought the thoughts inwards, stuffing them far away in my mind, trying to prevent the hysteria that threatened.

OUT IN FRONT Kassie stumbled and Loi yanked her upright. Kassie's breaths sounded ragged in her ears while she focused on lifting her feet high enough so that she wouldn't trip. A sense of fear buzzed between the four of them, the taste of bile strong in the back of her throat. The disgusting creatures hunting them shrieked again, a hideous angry sound like nails being pried from corrugated iron. Her skin prickled and scalp seemed to flinch when they did it again. Audrey spun back snarling and barking, the dog's voice growing distant. Kassie ran harder.

I am NEVER casting a spell again, she thought, why the fuck is this happening to us? It was a love spell for Christ's sake!

LOI JERKED HER head out of the way when a low branch loomed, twigs dragging in her hair. Spying a fallen log ahead she let the others know then hauled herself over and spun back to lift Kassie off.

'Thanks,' gasped Kassie.

Loi nodded and Kassie ran on while Loi waited for Sian and Cat. Audrey raced after the women and beat them to the log, diving off, legs extended, then spun back to bark at them. Once Sian and Cat had scrambled over, Loi raced back to Kassie's side.

THE LOG HAD slowed us down a little and the crashing that followed sounded closer. Adrenaline seared through my veins when I caught a glimpse of one of those things; it had gained on us.

'RUN!' I screamed.

Audrey darted across my path and launched herself at it, snarling. The creature shrieked and jerked away. The sense of relief nearly tripped me; with my focus on Audi. I lurched over a root, just managing to stay upright and she appeared at my side again, no worse for wear.

Suddenly the forest disappeared and we sprinted across open grassland, buildings visible about a mile from us. I stumbled at the change in ground under foot and the almost debilitating sense of relief at the sight of civilization. A surge of fear ran through me.

Do NOT fall, I growled in my mind, we are so close!

SIAN COULD SEE the buildings more clearly now. A high, oppressive looking fence of roughly hewn logs surrounded the village; for good reason, she thought. Panting hard as they neared the buildings, she could make out people—men—standing in front of the gates gesturing at them to hurry. She mentally rolled her eyes at them, trying to increase her pace, unable to hear anything over the sound of her breathing. Gritting her teeth, she pumped her arms harder.

As they drew closer she saw the buildings were houses with heavy looking thatched roofs like ones she'd seen when she'd lived in England.

The faces of the men they sprinted toward grew clearer none of them actually appeared to watch her or the others, just the creatures that followed. Sian realized then that each man held a weapon or two and one man had two snarling, lunging dogs on short leashes, fighting to keep them under control. They wore clothes that wouldn't have looked out of place maybe three hundred years ago, but even then they didn't look quite right.

Sian's chest tightened with apprehension as they drew even closer to the village; where ARE we?

'PUSH IT!' SHOUTED Loi as she threw a glance over her shoulder, looking beyond us. My body screamed in protest when I forced longer quicker strides. Sian bounced lightly off my side with a grunt, the sudden dip in the grass almost making me do the same. I grabbed her hand, pulling her along as we neared the gate. Men armed with cross bows, spears and swords stood next to the heavy wooden gates, bodies tense and ready. Their shouts rang in my ears when they charged past us and the unexpected furious snarls of dogs made me flinch, but I didn't stop.

We shot past them straight into the arms of a crowd of others who rushed us into a nearby building. In the sudden darkness I staggered and bent over my knees, gasping for breath while my head spun.

The sense of relief was extreme.

We're safe. Safe.

My knees buckled and strange hands supported me, leading me to a bench. Kassie sat next to me with Loi and Sian beside her, all gasping for breath. Audi crouched under the bench, waiting. Finally we could draw normal breaths and sat up, looking around.

At least sixty people crowded around the dark low room, jammed on bench seats that surrounded the long tables that filled most of the space. Young and old women held children on their laps, some singing softly, others teasing, provoking sudden high shrieks of laughter that made the armed men at the windows frown at them. Adolescent boys and girls crowded against the scarce wall space, watching us with wide eyes while their elders flicked curious looks our way. Realizing I still gripped my sword tight, I went to slip it back in its scabbard but my hands shook too much. Kassie guided the end in for me.

'Thanks.' I swallowed hard, willing away the sudden, unexpected tears that threatened.

It's just shock, Cat, breathe, relax. You're okay. You're safe.

The words echoed in my head while I looked the others over. All red-faced like me with the fear slowly fading from their eyes, accompanied by the realization that a room full of strangers stared at us.

KASSIE GULPED. NO one seemed to look at them in a bad way, most just looked concerned. A strange sound caught her attention.

'Lucky,' she gasped.

Loi swore and snatched the pack off the floor, setting it on the bench between them. Kassie wrenched the top of it wide. They peered in. The tortoiseshell cat huddled at the bottom, ears flattened and fur spiked her eyes wide in fear. She whimpered.

'Ooooh Lucky,' whispered Kassie, her heart going out to her tiny, normally feisty cat.

Easing the cat onto her lap she wrapped her arms around the shivering animal, ignoring all the strangers staring. Loi draped her cloak round Kassie's shoulders shielding Lucky from everyone's view. The cat relaxed a little before stretching her forelegs out. Kassie winced when the claws dug into her thigh but didn't scold Lucky; just cuddled her until she started purring.

Loi leaned over. 'Kass, is she okay?'

Kassie nodded while she hummed, soothing the cat. 'She's starting to purr so I think she'll be fine.'

Cat and Sian leaned over, reaching under the cloak to stroke Lucky's head, which made Audrey creep out from under the seat to see what everyone looked at. The dog gave her friend a gentle poke, causing the cat to purr louder.

A voice piped up. 'What are you doing?'

TURNING AWAY FROM Kassie I saw a little boy watching us. He looked to be about five and stood only a meter or so from a woman with dark plaits the same shade as his short spiky hair. She watched us and him, her eyes creasing when they met mine, the corners of her lips tugging.

I bent, leaning on my knees so to meet his eyes and explained, 'Our cat was in one of the bags when we had to run and we're checking she's okay.'

The boy crept closer, his eyes wide and he ducked to peer at Kassie's lap. She chuckled and shifted a little on the seat, turning to face him.

'Why did you bring your cat?' he asked her earnestly as he reached Lucky's side and gently stroked her. The cat purred up at him through half shut eyes, adoring all the attention.

Kassie smiled. 'Well, we didn't intentionally bring Lucky; she just snuck along with us.'

A few people tittered when they heard Lucky's name and the little boy smiled broadly at Kassie. 'She really is Lucky! 'Cause if you hadn't seen her she could have been eaten by the elgrids.'

Ahh, so that's what those things are called. I could see the same thought pass through Loi and Sian's faces. Everyone in the room still stared at us.

They'll want to know why we're here, what do we say?

My brain went blank at that then I looked to Sian and gave her knee a soft nudge. Our eyes connected and I twitched my eyebrow at her, making a tiny gesture with my chin at all those in the room, still watching us.

SIAN STARED AT Cat whose half scowl—nose wrinkled and lips twisted to one side—yelled loud and clear exactly what she thought Sian should be doing right now.

Sian glared at her friend who returned the look with heat.

Oh bloody hell, she thought with despair, I don't know what to say!?

Man up, snapped the rational voice in the back of her mind. No, it wasn't your intention for the spell to work like this but you are partially responsible.

With an internal sigh, Sian gave Cat a tiny nod and sat up, gazing around the room for whoever might be in charge.

Let's get this over with, she thought grumpily. Best stick as close to the truth as possible.

A medium height woman in a high necked, long sleeved rust colored dress that fell to her knees stood up from where she'd sat amongst the others. She held herself with pride, back straight and head high, the elaborately plaited bun she wore her dark hair in adding to the overall commanding impression. Everyone fell silent, giving her their attention and for a moment the room felt as if it hummed with anticipation.

The woman nodded to Sian and the other girls. 'Greetings. Welcome to Lothost. My name is Henja. My husband and I own the Inn here.' Henja inclined her head toward one of the armed men at the windows who stared at them now too.

Sian's mouth went dry and she licked her lips before speaking. 'Greetings, Henja. Thank you for your welcome and for your town's protection, it is most appreciated.'

The girls nodded in agreement.

'What brings you here?' queried Henja with a blunt expression that hedged between curiosity and apprehension. The armed men moved from where they'd stood at the windows, positioning themselves at the ends of the tables closest to the four girls. The unspoken warning made Sian's stomach churn.

Hesitantly, she spoke. 'We're—searching—for someone who can help us. With a magical matter.' She watched in relief when her friends' faces went blank then changed to apparent knowledge.

'Offensive or defensive?' snapped one of the men, shifting from leaning against a table to standing, eyeing the four of them.

'Defensive!' Sian squeaked the word out then cleared her throat. Cat leaned gently against her, the pressure comforting.

'Calm,' Cat cautioned, mouth close to her ear. 'You're doing fine.'

Sian flicked Cat a swift look and tiny smile before turning her attention back to Henja. The woman now regarded them speculatively squinting as she stared at Sian.

'Oh? Perhaps our town caster can help. What's the issue?'

With a silent prayer that she wasn't about to say something wrong, Sian explained. 'The shield that protects our realm has vanished and we don't know why. We'd never seen elgrids before now!' The last part came out louder than she'd intended and the silence in the room felt bizarrely loud while everyone gaped at her. Sian resisted the urge to grin nervously.

One of the armed men addressed her in an incredulous tone, his thick salt-n-pepper eyebrows drawn close in a frown. 'Never seen them before? That must be an awfully strong shield.'

'Yes, it was. We've been told there's someone with great power in this realm. We're hoping to find them.' Sian mentally crossed her fingers; please let this work!

'Oh you'll be talking about Elena the Sorceress,' chimed a little old lady from the table furthest away.

Most in the room made sounds of agreements, nodding to one another and Henja said, 'Gran Nina is right. The Sorceress would be the ideal person to see.'

Sian smiled in relief, inwardly delighted that it had worked. 'Where does Elena usually reside?'

Henja's square jaw jutted out as she considered that and her husband who sat close, spoke softly in her ear. Henja agreed with whatever he said then turned to them, explaining. 'We believe she is at the castle. But there are some strange goings on in the South so she might be away.'

'She can't stay away long,' interjected another of the armed men. 'Not while she's Regent. The castle would be the best place to find her.'

I LISTENED WITHOUT really hearing, fascinated with their unusual accents. They had what sounded like a hint of a Scottish burr to the 'r' in words, well developed consonants but with heaviness to their 'w' so it sounded more like 'wh'. Something about the way they spoke triggered an odd sensation in my mind and a weird sense of anxiety; how are we speaking with them?

The sudden thought of not understanding them, or being understood made me nauseated and I pushed it away.

I'll just be thankful, I thought, squeezing my legs back under the bench seat while blocking out those concerning thoughts. I'll just be thankful.

Studying the people and what they wore distracted me while Sian asked Henja for the directions to the castle. The variety of styles and lack of corsets surprised me. I couldn't see any evidence of electricity or modern technology yet what they wore felt rather modern. A couple of women seated nearer us wore mid length skirts of a dense fabric, belted at the waist. Their long sleeved, slash neck tops laced down the front or sides; one woman had a bright blue ribbon laced down the front of her dark brown top. A quick glimpse down showed fleece lined knee-high boots with long laces wrapped fully around them. It surprised me; I guess our outfits aren't that unusual then.

Gran Nina had shifted from her seat and stood near Henja, listening to the conversation while openly studying us. She met my eyes with a bright smile, her face dissolving into a mass of lines. The look of delight almost made me giggle and I smiled back. The older woman wore baggy trousers held up by a wide belt just visible beneath the side splits in her tunic that fell to her hips. Her white hair had the occasional streak of brown and she wore it in a long plait, draped over a shoulder. The little boy who'd been patting Lucky dashed to Gran Nina's side, pointing at the cat while tugging on her pants. Gran Nina smiled down at him, nodding and the two chatted away.

'We'd like to stay the night at your Inn if you have room, wouldn't we, Catherine?'

I blinked in shock at a sudden shove from Sian.

'Oh! Ahh, yes. Certainly, that'd be great,' I assured Henja.

Right, focus on the conversation Cat, I thought, feeling a tad dazed as I tuned back in, listening. Sian had arranged dinner and breakfast as well as a bath. I felt like cheering when I heard that part; a bath! I wonder if I can get my clothes cleaned? Sitting in the crowded room made me rather aware of the unpleasant scent of sweat from our sprint here.

Loi interrupted Sian. 'Henja, would you be able to arrange us some supplies, for the next few days?'

Henja lit up, eagerness at the prospect of business apparent on her broad face. 'Of course, it will cost extra though?'

'That'll be no problem,' Sian assured her. 'As long as it's enough to reach the next village.'

'Yes, yes. Though I should warn you, it'll take around a month of walking to reach the castle. You must make sure to stock up well at each village.'

Loi gave me a look of concern at that. I pressed my lips flat and shrugged.

One month of walking; damn that's really going to suck. I hope there are plenty of villages in between here and the castle.

KASSIE LISTENED HARD while she pretended to focus on Lucky. One month to the castle, she thought, feeling her stomach sink; with elgrids about and likely other creatures too. She pursed her lips, trying to think of another solution but nothing presented itself. She lifted her head and stared at the man who had spoken to them before.

'I just wondered what other creatures we should watch out for, ah...' Kassie gestured at him with a smile. The man jerked his head back as if surprised and stared with squinted eyes at her for a moment before replying.

'Wrenwick.'

'So, what other creatures can we expect on our journey, Wrenwick?'

Wrenwick frowned while he thought it over. 'When you reach the woods you may have to watch out for gragnolls, though I haven't seen many lately, what with all this craziness going on in the South. It appears to be attracting them in hordes. We haven't had many issues with uglies lately. Those elgrids that followed you are the first we've seen in weeks.'

Henja interrupted, 'You'll need to watch out for the leeni too.' She nudged Wrenwick in admonishment. 'And of course dragons.'

Sian's head snapped up at that. 'Dragons?'

'Ooooh yes,' Gran Nina looked amused at Sian's shocked expression. The little boy beside her listened with wide eyes. 'We do get a few around here, though they tend to go for the cattle not wee scrawny girls.'

CURIOUS I ASKED, 'How big do the dragons get? Do they breathe fire?'

Wrenwick spoke up, glaring at Henja and Gran Nina for butting in. 'The biggest dragons can be the size of a large barn with a wing span four to five times bigger than that, but they don't breathe fire. At that size there isn't really any need. It's the little dragons, around your dog's size, that breathe fire. They are usually rather civil and most castles employ one or two for keeping their fires going.'

Sian looked fascinated as I glanced to see her reaction; at home her favorite mythical creature was the dragon. The thought of a real life dragon just seemed ridiculous and yet at the same time, I couldn't shake the image of those things, those elgrids that had chased us here.

What kind of place is this? Memories of mythical creatures I'd read about as a child sprung to mind; what else might be real here?

A loud knock on the door distracted me. The men who'd chased the elgrids off entered and gave the all clear for everyone to leave. Henja called out to us, shouting brief instructions of where to find her Inn, then dashed off along with everyone else.

We walked out, blinking at the bright sunlight then wandered in the direction Henja had instructed while studying the village.

Judging by the number of houses that stretched out before us and back another couple of rows I guessed that around one to two hundred people lived here. Locals watched us curiously from their doorways and the sides of the narrow roads. Some called greetings, others gaped and a few children followed for a way, shrieking with high pitched giggles if we glanced back. The gravel crunched underfoot as we walked along, making anyone near us turn and stare. It felt like the road got longer the further we walked, with eyes watching from everywhere. Beside me Kassie made soothing noises to Lucky who half crouched, curled around Kassie's shoulders. The cat wasn't happy and kept uttering long, low warbles that made Audi anxious. She walked between Kassie and me, her eyes constantly on her feline friend.

Behind us Loi muttered, 'Center of attention much.'

'Look. We're nearly at the Inn,' Kassie sounded relieved.

We all picked up the pace and reached the two-story building quickly. Pausing on the skinny front deck, Loi knocked lightly then turned the handle, pushing the door open. I followed, holding the door for Kassie and Sian.

'Girls,' Henja called out in delight from the back of the large front room. 'Come on in. Quick, quick, dinner will be ready soon and your baths are waiting out the back.'

LOI'S EYEBROWS SHOT up when Henja said "out the back" what did that mean? Henja ushered them out the back of the Inn, past the tables and more staring people. Audi snuck along behind and scooted through the door before it caught her tail.

There, in a concealed courtyard stood four iron baths lined with sheets and filled to the brim with hot, sweet smelling water. Tiny coal fires burned underneath to keep them warm. A hot and flustered looking woman stood to the side of the courtyard, hooking a long metal pipe back to the side of the building. She wore heavy looking gloves and steam wafted from the end of the pipe.

That's where the hot water came from, Loi thought in fascination, wondering how it all worked.

The others appeared to realize this at the same time and all four of them thanked the maid, making the woman glow even redder. Henja waved the maid away as the girls grinned at each other, gesturing the baths again in delight. Loi felt the tension in her shoulders start to evaporate.

WE THANKED HENJA profusely and a red blush stained her jaw line while she laughed off our thanks.

'No! No, not at all, Sian paid generously for your stay so I want you to enjoy it,' she paused then, eyes widening before she regarded us speculatively. 'And if you could mention it at the castle when you get there...'

'Of course we'll give rave reviews about you, Henja, how could we not?' I gestured at the gorgeous little courtyard.

She gave us another wide smile. 'You can lock yourselves in, see? There is a key in this side, so no one will bother you. When you are done let me know and I will bring your supper to your rooms.' After pointing out the pile of drying sheets, she stepped out of the room and shut the door.

I locked it behind her then turned to the others. 'Peace at last!'

'And a bath,' chimed in Loi.

'And food!' cried Sian.

We laughed and started to strip our clothes off. I struggled with the high boots, attempting to loosen the laces while pulling the tops down and ended up hopping around the room, with Audi bouncing along beside me. Kassie and Sian could barely stand for laughing at me while I wheeled my arms madly to keep from falling.

Loi rushed over. 'Here. Let me help before you hop through a wall.' She quickly worked the knot out of the laces and yanked the boot down to my ankle.

'Thanks, Loi, you're such a good friend,' I said while pointedly staring at Sian and Kassie, who just laughed more. Reaching down, I pulled the boot slowly off, careful not to lose balance again. We slipped into our baths with sighs of relief and pleasure.

Resting my head back, I let my mind drift, shooing away any persistent thoughts and allowed the heat from the water to penetrate my aching muscles. I groaned quietly in relief, I'd never run that hard before. Elgrids were a pretty good form of encouragement, not that I saw them becoming popular in gyms anytime soon. My thigh muscle twitched and I winced. I will be sore tomorrow.

That word, tomorrow, started the swirls of nausea in my stomach. A panic attack threatened while my brain tried to process everything that'd happened today.

Take it easy, soothed the rational voice in the back of my mind. No need to rush, you're safe.

I settled, breathing slowly till my heart stopped racing and tried to enjoy the silence. I managed perhaps five minutes before I had to call out to the others.

'So, plans for tomorrow? Any thoughts?'

IN THE BATH beside her Sian heard Loi snort in amusement and grinned.

Trust Cat to break a much needed silence, she thought, but still contemplated the question.

'Breakfast, pack and go?' she suggested.

'We should have a chat to Wrenwick as to which way to go,' Kassie said, in the bath on the other side of Loi.

'Then what,' frowned Loi. 'Camp in the forest? What if we find more of those things?'

'They said it'd take a month to reach the castle,' Cat said, leaning her chin on the side of the bath, looking over at them. They fell silent then. A whole month, thought Sian, how are we going to do this?

KASSIE SUCKED A breath in, blowing it out through pursed lips.

'Perhaps when we're clear of the town we should spend some time practicing with our weapons. I realize it means we won't get far tomorrow, but if we can reach the forest by nightfall it means at least we'll be a little prepared if we meet anything...nasty,' she suggested.

'I agree,' said Cat. 'I haven't had as much experience with swords as you guys so it'd make me feel a little more secure.'

'I haven't really used a bow like that before,' Sian said. 'Antiquities are more Cat's thing. It'd be good to get a feel for it.'

Cat wrinkled her nose at Sian and the others chuckled. It lifted the mood back to the relaxed state. Kassie lay back and felt her muscles relax in the heat of the water. She peeked over to see where Lucky sat.

On my clothing, of course, she thought with an internal groan. Lucky looked quite happy curled up on Kassie's top. It felt strange to be able to relax fully. At the back of her mind a voice worried about what would happen to them but Kassie kept it as quiet as possible. Still, a few tears snuck out and she had to take slow, careful breaths to resist sobbing.

One day at a time, she thought pushing the anxiety away, keeping her thoughts pragmatic. One day at a time.

Minutes ticked by and the heat helped to dissolve the anxiety enough that she had to fight the urge to fall asleep. A splash broke the silence, making Kassie jerk in surprise.

Cat sat up in her bath, coughing and hacking.

Loi laughed at her. 'Did you doze off?'

'Yes, and took a decent mouthful of water,' she grimaced then coughed some more. 'Ewww.'

SIAN IGNORED THE others while she listened to her heartbeat, thrumming soft and steady in her ears. She'd have to ask Henja what herbs were in the water, she could feel the medicinal properties working their magic.

The thudding of her heart seemed strangely loud now. Sian opened her eyes, confused; why doesn't that sound right? She noticed Loi staring at her.

'Can you hear that?'

Sian gulped in surprise. 'Wha—?' she started.

Henja pounded on their door. 'Girls! Look up, a dragon is flying over!'

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

64K 4.8K 56
In their previous life, taehyung had been overweight. His face was covered in acne. Yet jungkook still forcefully ate him up. Exactly how much did h...
1.9M 97.5K 38
Presenting the story of ISHIKA MEHRA Whose innocence made the king bow down to her AND ABHIRAJ SINGH RATHORE Whose presence is enough to make the per...
332K 16.9K 36
Athena has no one. Orphaned at the tender age of twelve, she doesn't want anything to do with the Color War; a decades long war being waged between...
383K 18.9K 39
The wielders are coming, and they're ready for violence. With a cub in her arms, Arietta James, a dedicated vet technician in training, flees for her...