Saga of the Bridgers-Year 4

Ganel750 द्वारा

After escaping near destruction on Atollon, the Rebellion is in dire strait, but hope is not yet lost. Follow... अधिक

Prologue: Mandalorian hospitality
Chapter 1: Saving a Count
Chapter 2: Heroes of Mandalore
Chapter 3: Gathering Storm
Chapter 4: In the name of the Rebellion
Chapter 5: The secret cargo
Chapter 6: The Occupation
Chapter 7: Flight of the Defender
Chapter 9: Crawler Commandeers
Chapter 10: Rebel Assault
Chapter 11: Jedi Night
Chapter 12: Dume
Chapter 13: Wolves and a door
Chapter 14: Between Worlds
Chapter 15: Fools' Hope
Chapter 16: Showdown
Chapter 17: Now we are free
Chapter 18: Counter-strike
Chapter 19: Horror in the Wild
Chapter 20: The Road to the Ocean
Chapter 21: The Battle of Mon Calamari
Chapter 22: Costs of war
Chapter 23: Rescuing a King
Chapter 24: Making allies
Chapter 25: Disagreements
Chapter 26: A matter of survival
Chapter 27: Fire on Krownest
Chapter 28: Tower Assault
Chapter 29: Siege of Kalevala
Chapter 30: Hints
Chapter 31: The lurking shadow
Chapter 32: Common Ground
Chapter 33: The Holy City
Chapter 34: Eclipse on Jedha
Chapter 35: No Turning Back
Epilogue: Last Chance at Scarif

Chapter 8: Kindred

47 1 0
Ganel750 द्वारा

April 15.

While Jaral was preparing the expedition to retake the hyperdrive, Ezra and Jordan were working on the former's armor.

"Is it bad?" Ezra asked while Jordan analyzed the shield generator on his back.

His father hummed. "The damage is not too extensive, just give me..." he mumbled, then the yellow aura of the shields all around Ezra reappeared and the armor made its whirring sound, signaling that it was back in action.

"There. You're ready to get back in action." he said proudly, giving Ezra a light pat on the shoulder.

"Thanks, Dad. I was afraid I would have to say goodbye to this armor." Ezra said.

"When the Federation arrives, I'm pretty sure we could always ask them to give you a new one." Jordan quipped.

Ezra chuckled. "They just hand it like that?"

"I mean, they are pretty costly, but you are a Legionnaire and a strong warrior, I'm sure they would like you to stay like that."

Ezra stood up, made a couple diagnostics with his omni-tool and turned back toward his father.

"Speaking of strong warriors, are you sure you shouldn't have gone back with your shuttle and Rex? If anything happens to you..." he started, but Jordan interjected.

"Nothing will happen to me, Ezra. Right now, my kids need my help, and I will not abandon you again." he said willfully, putting a hand on Ezra's shoulder.

Ezra chuckled. "You know, sometimes it seems too good to be true."

"What?"

"That you and Mom are here with me and Jari. Helping us, guiding us...and loving us." he said with a smile.

Jordan smiled back and hugged him.

"And that won't change again until we die of old age, that much I promise." Jordan said.

"I'll have to live with it." Ezra quipped.

The two broke the hug, and the voice of Jaral intervened with a happy tone.

"Okay, you two. Enough family time, for now. We better get moving."

"Oh, come on, sis. Come here." Ezra incited her.

Jaral rolled her eyes playfully and complied with the request. Father and children exchanged an affectionate hug, which was actually a rare occurrence for the three of them.

"I know I told this plenty of times." Jordan started. "This isn't the life I wanted for you, but I couldn't be prouder of you two."

The siblings smiled at him.

"Now go get that hyperdrive." he incited them.

The siblings materialized their helmets and headed back toward the speeder-bikes, where Zeb was waiting for them and Jordan couldn't hold a smirk looking at them go.

"They seem pretty enthusiast." the voice of Kanan came from his side. The Jedi was standing with his hands behind his back and his eye's mask on.

"They are just eager to do what they can." replied Jordan. "Aren't you going with them?" he then asked, surprised.

Kanan seemed to hesitate. "There is something I need to do here."

Jordan raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

"Is that about what you and Hera did last night?"

Kanan stiffened like a trunk when he heard those words, but then sighed in defeat. "You heard us?"

"It wasn't difficult. I mean, you were being pretty quiet, but I had the tent next door and I do have an enhanced hearing. That said, I didn't do it on purpose and I'm really sorry." Jordan explained calmly.

Kanan waved a hand. "No, no. I am sorry we disturbed you, Jordan...and yes, I would like for her to say clearly if she wants a serious relationship for us or not."

"Wait...you...aren't a thing already?" Jordan asked confused.

Kanan rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "I know it looks like that, but we never actually said it to each other. Hera is all about the cause, and who knows what she wants to do if we actually defeat the Empire."

Jordan shrugged. "Just ask her, lad."

Kanan made an unsure expression with the face.

"Should I? You know...it's kinda hard for me."

"Why is that?"

"The Jedi Order always taught me to not feel attachments, and old habits die hard. I've been working with Hera for years, but we never actually spoke about this."

Jordan sighed. "Listen, when I first met Mira, she was fresh out of medical school. She gave me shelter, ok, but she was all about her new work at the hospital. But the moment I realized I actually loved her, and she liked me back, I told her straight, and a few months later, we were married.

"And, mate, if you and Hera aren't perfect for each other, then my name is Jordan Bollocks." he concluded.

Kanan took a few moments to let those words sink into his mind, then finally chuckled. "Man, now I understand why your kids are so inspired. You're good at encouragements."

Jordan shrugged with a lopsided grin. "I have to bring the best out my soldiers and my children there. I know it's a long shot, but if you and Hera ever pop out a dishy kid, I'll be happy to teach you a thing or two."

Jordan chuckled, though a bit embarrassed. "If that will be the case, I'm really gonna need some mentoring from an expert."

The two laughed before going back to the U-Wing and the rest of the camp, just in time to see the recovery team drive away on the speeder-bikes, towing a lifter-cart.

-------------------------------------

As midday came and went, the three rebels reached the area signaled by Sabine's coordinates, where they could see the crash site in the distance, surrounded by troopers and gunships coming and going.

"I'll stand guard, you guys find the hyperdrive." ordered Jaral. She and Ezra activated the holograms, appearing like scout troopers.

Ezra looked around, trying to remember where he put the hyperdrive the evening before. While he scanned the area, pointing a finger, he sang softly in the hope of making his brain reactivate.

"Loth-rat, Loth-cat, Loth-wolf, run. Pick a path and all is...done!" he exclaimed, pointing at the triangular rock that he had used to hide the hyperdrive.

He and Zeb went and tore it down, uncovering the core. Their grin of triumph was suspended when an imperial gunship flew right above their heads, but it was coming from a direction where the pilot couldn't spot them because of the position of the oval rocks.

"We better hurry, I have a bad feeling." Ezra commented.

"And I don't like when you have bad feelings." Zeb replied.

The two grabbed the two grips on the sides of the core and lifted it, not without effort.

"Uh, guys," Jaral recalled them. She was looking toward the crash site. "I think we got a problem."

With a gaze of understanding with Zeb, Ezra put down his part of the core and reached his sister's side, activating the integrated binocular into his helmet.

He was a relatively small creature, with a gray skin and running toward them using his legs and his arms, like a monkey.

"What the flying kriff is that?" Ezra asked completely confused.

"It appears to be a Noghri." Jinx replied, gaining the attention of the siblings. "Not much is known about their species except that they are highly skilled assassins."

"And we got one coming this way. How lovely." Jaral replied.

Ezra immediately signaled Zeb to find cover, implying that him and Jaral were going to distract that alien.

"Maybe we should just blast it." Jaral whispered.

"Hey, I can get us out of here." Ezra said confidently, hoping that the holograms would be enough to drive that creature away. They walked toward the gray alien and met him at the base of the small hollow just before it could spot Zeb.

The creature stopped in front of them and started sniffing the air. It had what seemed to be a weapon the form of a staff on its back.

"This is LS-3226 and LS-3227." Ezra said, though a bit unsettled by the creature's sniffing around. "We scouted the area and found nothing...should we keep searching?"

The Noghri looked at him with white eyes that only made him even more menacing.

"No." he said with a voice that was deep and redundant, somehow.

Then he suddenly threw a punch that Ezra avoided just in the nick of time. The boy counterattacked, but the assassin intercepted his punch with his legs and threw him on the ground in a scissor hold.

Jaral immediately took her pistol and fired a shot, but the Noghri was incredibly fast and avoided it. Now the hologram around her disappeared and the Noghri made an expression that clearly indicated he recognized her.

Not wanting to risk hitting her brother, Jaral simply kept her pistol aimed at the alien, who growled at her, ready to charge again. And then he did, moving left and right with a speed that was a challenge even for the improved reflexes of the siblings, the assassin avoided two shots before jumping with the intention of assailing her from above.

But Jaral wasn't that slow either and she activated her directional shield at the last possible moment. The Noghri landed on it and Jaral bounced him back, using his own inertia against him. When he was midair again, Ezra pushed him away with the Force, sending him slamming against one of the rocks.

At that moment, two scout troopers on their speeder-bikes and an ITT carrying Pryce and a group of stormtroopers arrived.

"The Bridgers!" the Governor yelled with rage. "Blast them!" she shot a couple bolts with her pistol. One missed, the other was parried by Ezra, while Jaral dashed toward the one speeder-bike she and Ezra used to come there. Zeb had the one towing the cart.

After picking Ezra up, Jaral put the pedal to the metal and they rode away toward a nearby canyon.

Of course, it didn't take long for the Noghri and the two imperial scouts to catch up with the siblings. Their bike was slower, considering there was two of them and they wore their armors.

Following Ezra's suggestion, Jaral brought the vehicle into a natural trench which was probably a dried river's bed. The Noghri chased them, even taking his staff, which turned out to be an electro-pole with both ends emitting a purple electric current.

Ezra had to ignite his lightsaber to stop him from hitting their bike, a chance that Jaral tried to use in order to force the alien to crash into a rock along their way, but the assassin noticed it in time and broke the lock between the weapons.

The chase kept going into the canyon, and got to an end only when Ezra had the intuition to throw a thermal detonator at a rocky bridge along the way. A landslide buried one of the scout troopers and forced the other to stop. The Noghri, somehow, managed to overcome the block by pushing the engine to its limit and jumping over. However, that gave Ezra the opportunity to shoot at the belly of the vehicle and the Noghri had to jump out before the bike exploded under his ass. With that out of the way, the siblings finally headed toward the camp.

------------------------------------

Back at the camp, Jordan just received a transmission from Ezra, informing him that they had left the Imperials behind and that they were arriving at the camp.

"Understood, we are still waiting for Zeb." he replied and paced toward a nearby land-speeder, where Ryder and Jai were loading the equipment of the camp to move it.

While he helped with the loading operation, Jordan could hear Kanan and Hera talking. Sabine had just informed Hera how she intended to install the hyperdrive before entering the starcraft.

"This ship is old. The Defender's hyperdrive will never fit into it, forget the Imperial blockade." Kanan protested against the idea of his beloved Twi'lek trying to slip past the blockade.

"Taking this data recorder to the Rebellion is vital." Hera said, but Kanan was having none of it.

"When are you going to feel you've done enough for this rebellion?" he asked.

"I guess when the Empire is overthrown and people are free to live their lives the way they want, again." Hera candidly replied.

"And when that time comes, what do you want to do with your life?"

Hera was taken a bit unprepared. "Uh, I don't know. I guess I've never really thought about it."

"So I guess you never really thought about us." Kanan said clearly.

Hera became a little defensive. "Kanan, we've talked about this..."

But Kanan took a hand of her gently. "Have we?"

The two exchanged a tender smile, and Jordan was exploiting the fact that people couldn't see behind his visor to take a quick peek while he kept working.

"You know how I feel." Hera said gently.

"Do I?" Kanan asked with a serious tone.

'That's it, lad. Go for it!' the adult Legionnaire couldn't help but think.

But when the two were brushing lips, Ryder screamed.

"We got incoming!"

Feeling really bad for the couple in front of the U-Wing, Jordan unfolded his M-8 rifle and headed toward the south-western access, where he could see an ITT coming their way. Ryder was already pointing his old hunting rifle from behind a crate. Jordan reached him, but didn't take cover behind the crate as he pointed his rifle toward the left door of the vehicle, which was opening.

Then he activated the scanner and realized that there wasn't a Human inside of it.

"Look what I've..." Zeb started as he peeked out of the door, but Ryder shot.

Luckily, the shot wasn't entirely precise and Zeb still managed to retract his body before it hit, thus only the wall behind him got burned.

Zeb chuckled. "Guess I should've mentioned I stole a transport."

Not long after, the siblings returned as well on their bike.

"Good job." Said Kanan. "Look like the hyperdrive problem is solved."

Ezra dismounted first. "Yeah, you know how usually one problem leads to another?" he asked innocently.

Kanan crossed his arms in front. "Yeah..."

"Well, we got a new one." Ezra said. "And it's small, creepy and very dangerous."

While he and Jaral notified the rest of the group about the Noghri, Sabine and Chopper got at work immediately to install the hyperdrive. By using the superior computers into her omni-tool, Sabine was able to complete the job in barely 10 minutes, a record even for her.

"Well, it was easier than I thought." she commented from the roof of the U-Wing, smirking at the forearm where her omni-tool was implanted. "Still, I'd give a 50-50 chance it will work." she warned Hera.

"I'll have to live with 50-50." the Twi'lek replied firmly.

Ezra was standing near there, and suddenly his sensors warned him of unknown targets coming from the South-West, again. The reaction of his sister and father clearly showed that they received the same alarm. The Bridgers faced that direction and used their integrated scopes.

They thus spotted two imperial 'Conqueror' tanks and two scout troopers on bikes.

"We're out of time!" Ezra announced.

Jaral fast-paced toward the U-Wing, while ordering the group to assume a defensive formation and for Kai to take the land-speeder and get to the nearby rendezvous point.

"Hera." the young woman said, gaining the attention of her subordinate General. "I wish I could be flying as well, but I'll have to entrust the air strike to you, General Syndulla." she said in a calm tone.

"Don't worry, you'll see me soon." Hera reassured her. Jaral made a nod and headed toward the barricade.

She had just the time to crouch between the line of her comrades, that Sabine lightly hit Zeb's back with one of her pistols and pointed everyone's attention back to the U-Wing.

There, Hera and Kanan were kissing deeply, lovingly and very much openly. After touching their foreheads, Hera stepped into the starcraft, where Chopper was waiting for her.

"May the Force be with you." Hera wished Kanan with a confident smile before the doors closed.

Kanan stood there a bit dreamy, even when the engine of the U-Wing started running.

"Hey, lad!" Jordan recalled the Jedi. "I'm really happy for you and all, but we need you down here." he quipped.

Kanan shook his head, put on his mask and reached the rest of the group while the U-Wing lifted off and headed toward the sky.

Right at that moment, the tanks started firing their heavy cannons, though the rebels were on a higher ground and the gunners had some difficulty hitting the barricade. But one of them still hit the ITT that Zeb had stolen, leaving the rebels with only a bike.

"How many people can we get on a bike?" Zeb asked sarcastically.

"We need a way out of here and we need it fast." Jordan commented.

Ezra was then distracted by a howling coming from the maze of rocks behind them.

He turned around and he spotted two black Loth-wolves that ran across the small corridor that Ezra could see. Then the white wolf that had helped him and Sabine the night before stopped to look at him.

"There! that's our way out." Ezra exclaimed.

Everybody turned around, and gawked in awe.

"Loth-wolf?" Ryder asked surprised.

"Look, they helped me before, we should follow them." he insisted.

"I trust you." Jaral immediately said with a serious tone.

"Lead the way, son." Jordan added.

Ezra turned again toward the wolf, which was still looking at him.

"Do you know the way out?" he asked loudly.

As if to answer, the wolf turned around and followed the same trail of its counterparts.

"Come on." Ezra incited the others as he started running into the maze. Either because they believed in him or because there were no alternatives, the rest of the group followed him.

------------------------------

Thrawn was assessing the situation from the holotable on the command bridge of the Chimaera. Pryce had warned him about Captain Syndulla managing to escape from the surface with a hyperdrive starcraft and thus it was up to the blockade to stop her.

The Admonitor was protecting the left side of the Chimaera and Rear Admiral Tanis was waiting for instruction, though Thrawn had granted his pupil a certain degree of autonomy, in the hopes that he might intervene on his own in case he figured out what Syndulla's plan was before he did.

Soon, the U-Wing appeared on the fleet's radars. It was unarmed, but Syndulla's plan certainly wasn't to fight. All she had to do was to find an opening to escape.

Thrawn sent the TIEs on patrol to chase her and even the Star Destroyers opened fire.

However, Syndulla had some type of help that the Empire involuntarily gave her: all around the orbit of Lothal there were several construction pods, part of the industrial complex that supplied the resources for the TIE Defender project.

She could use them for a small amount of cover, forcing the Star Destroyers to hold their fire in order not to destroy them. The fighters' cannons, instead, couldn't penetrate the shields of the pods, so the pilots were not sparing ammo.

Still, Syndulla was proving once again to be an extremely skilled pilot, dodging bolts left and right, until she headed toward one of the pods in the last row.

Thrawn understood what she was trying to do, and evidently, Rear Admiral Tanis did as well, because the Admonitor transferred full power to the engines and veered all of a sudden, trying to reach the opposite end of the pod's hangar before Syndulla could cross it, but the Twi'lek instead activated the hyperdrive, passing exactly into the narrow space given by the hangar.

"Sir, I regret to inform that the rebel ship...has jumped into hyperspace." the officer on deck said.

That might have been unfortunate. However, there was another opportunity at hand. If the rebels were going to launch an attack with their limited resources, there was a chance of inflicting them a loss they wouldn't be able to recover from, which was going to be a greater strategic victory.

A couple of hours passed, still no news from Pryce or Rukh, but Thrawn was then recalled by the communication officer.

"Sir, you have an incoming transmission from Coruscant."

"I'll receive it in my office." Thrawn simply stated and headed for the room.

When he entered, he was a bit surprised to see that Tanis' hologram was waiting as well.

"I suppose you've been summoned, as well?" he asked.

"It would appear so. I hope it's not about Syndulla's escape, though."

Thrawn sat down and opened the communication he was getting. On one of the chairs in front of him the hologram of Gran Moff Tarkin made its appearance.

"Gentlemen, we have a new development."

"We're listening, Gran Moff." Thrawn replied.

"The Emperor has heard about the imminent rebel attack on Lothal, and decided that it is an opportunity for a test."

"What kind of test?" Iulius asked.

"It actually regards you, Rear Admiral." Tarkin stated with a clear tone, surprising Iulius. "The Emperor needs a candidate for a very delicate task in the Northern Fringe of the galaxy, at our borders with the Unknown Regions. You are at the top of his list."

Iulius was clearly confused. Thrawn was a bit concerned: that zone indicated by Tarkin was quite near to the territory of the Chiss Ascendancy, his people. The Emperor would have no interest in attacking them, though, right?

"What does the Emperor commands?" Iulius asked dutifully.

"That you are going to lead our defenses against the rebel incursion. The Grand Admiral will follow your dispositions. I'll also be spectating the battle, Rear Admiral, in order to send a report to the Emperor. I think you know what that means."

Iulius steeled his face. It meant that failure was not an option, when Tarkin supervised.

"I will not fail, sir."

"Good." Tarkin replied with his usual tone. "I'll be waiting for your call." and then the hologram disappeared.

Iulius exhaled with his nose.

"You nervous, Rear Admiral?" Thrawn asked.

"I wasn't expecting this responsibility all of a sudden. But I guess I better start planning."

Thrawn made a half-grin. "Just remember what we discussed in our conversations about strategy. If it is of any consolation, I personally believe in your skills, Tanis."

"Thank you, sir. It means a lot to me."

"Besides, none of us, most importantly the rebels, knows your style of command. That will make you unpredictable, Rear Admiral. Use your unpredictability to the greatest extent you can." Thrawn suggested.

"I appreciate the suggestion, sir. I think I have the slightest idea how to deal with the rebels. I'll contact you when I elaborate it."

"Very well, Rear Admiral." Thrawn concluded before closing the transmission.

-----------------------------

Trying to keep the pace with the wolves, Ezra almost left behind the rest of the group. To try and compensate this, Jordan and Jaral, being the only ones capable of keeping his running, decided to move at a few meters away from each other, with Jordan trying to stay in the middle between his children and being somewhat of a beacon for the rest of the rebels.

Ezra followed the wolves until they stopped and crouched down in front of a cave.

"Wait." he said when the rest of the group caught up with him.

"All right, what's the plan, now?" Jaral asked.

Ezra mumbled.

"Let's take off the armors and follow me." he said.

"Excuse me?"

"Just follow me." he insisted.

Jaral decided to trust her brother and complied. The siblings dematerialized their armors and cautiously stepped forward. The two black wolves were sitting on the sides of the canyon, almost like they were guarding the white one. They snarled a bit at the siblings, but they never stood up or gave other signs of hostility.

Ezra gently took his sister's hand, trying to reassure her as she still felt a bit anxious, and it worked. Jaral relaxed her mind a bit and decided to entrust everything to her brother.

"There is a way out, isn't it?" Ezra asked cautiously to the white Loth-wolf.

The creature stared at him for a time, before raising on his paws and heading into the cave behind him.

"We should follow." Ezra told to his comrades.

"You're...kidding, right?" Zeb said.

"He isn't." Jaral confirmed, following Ezra without hesitation. That was enough to convince the others to at least try that out.

Following the white wolf, the group entered the cave, Sabine lightened her flashlight to see where she was stepping. However, she noticed something on the cave walls.

"Look, there are more of those paintings." she said.

Zeb got nearer to take a look.

"It looks like representations of people following the Loth-wolves." the mandalorian kept going.

"Guess we're not the first ones." Zeb commented.

Then the cave started shaking.

"The Empire is bombing the mountains." Ryder announced alarmed.

"Whatever you want to do, kids, do it quickly." Jordan encouraged his children.

The siblings looked at each other calmly, then turned their gazes toward the white wolf. The black ones were passing over them when the white turned around and extended its tail toward the siblings.

"Everyone, join hands." Jaral understood, and she grabbed Ezra's hand while he took the wolf's tail with the other.

"Guys..." Sabine commented with uncertainty, though she joined hands with Jaral and Kanan anyway.

"Just do it." the Grand Marshall insisted.

As the cave shook even more violently, everybody followed the order and created a line by holding hands, with everybody connected to the wolf.

The creatures walked toward the dark part of the cave, but Ezra soon started to see something he had never witnessed.

A blue tunnel, similar to that of hyperspace, but instead of lines, it looked like there was water moving all around them. And at the end of the tunnel there was a light, which became stronger and more blinding, yet the young man managed to keep his eyes open, embracing the strange phenomenon with his mind.

The next thing he knew, Ezra was laying in a field of tall, yellow grass. He and the rest of his family and friends were gathered in a circle and they were all sleeping, for Force knows how long.

The white Loth-cat woke Ezra by licking his face. As he stood up, the rest of the group started waking as well.

Only then, Ezra noticed that the light had disappeared, together with the grass. They were still inside the cave.

When he turned around, he found the white Loth-wolf sitting on his back paws, watching over him. The creature growled softly, indicating with its face the exit of the cave.

"Where in blazes are we?" Zeb asked.

"Let's find out." Ezra replied.

He and his sister walked toward the exit, which was guarded by the black wolves.

As usual, the two snarled pretty much at everybody passing in front of them, but the siblings easily ignored them, at this point.

What they found was very much confusing and spectacular.

They came out into a corridor carved into a mountain, some small tents were hanging over their heads and in front of them, aside a few mountains on their right, on the left there was a plain extending to the horizon, with a river running through it.

While the two looked around them, Sabine walked between them and took our her datapad, while Jordan waited behind them.

Sabine huffed amused. "You're not going to believe this. We were in the northern hemisphere, now we're in the southern hemisphere. Somehow, we traveled half-way across the planet." she said.

"Wait, seriously?" Jordan asked, lightening up his omni-tool to check out. After realizing the young woman was telling the truth, he sighed. "I better inform the Constantinople before they freak out." and walked aside.

Ryder and Zeb were listening attentively.

"Ezra, Jaral, how did you know the wolves could do that?" the Lasat asked.

The siblings looked at each other and chuckled. "We didn't." they said in chorus.

Then their attention shifted toward the black wolves reentering the cave. After agreeing through their bond, the siblings deactivated their armors and reentered the cave. They found Kanan standing still in front of the white wolf.

"Guys, look around." the Master asked patiently. "Tell me what you see."

The siblings quickly noticed other paintings on the walls.

"This place reminds me of the Jedi temple here on Lothal." Ezra commented. "The walls are telling a story."

"There are people coming down from the sky." Jaral added. "I think they might be Jedi."

"There's a message here for us." Kanan concluded, then turned his attention toward the wolf in front of him.

The wolf growled softly before whispering a word.

"Dume."

Kanan barely held back a gasp.

"What does that mean?" Ezra asked. "The wolf said it before."

Kanan took out his mask. "That's my name. Caleb Dume is the name I was born with." he said.

The siblings were taken aback by this new notion. However, something else bothered them even more.

"And how does the wolf knows it?" asked Jaral.

Kanan slowly put a hand on the face of the wolf, between its eyes. The wold closed its eyes as well. The siblings could clearly perceive a faint humming coming from them and looked at each other in confusion.

"It has a deep connection to the Force. To the energy of this planet." Kanan stated and withdrew his hand.

"Don't all living things?" Ezra questioned.

"This one is different. More focused...like it has a purpose."

"And we're a part of it."

Kanan turned toward his apprentices. "I'm getting a feeling building the TIE Defender isn't the worst thing the Empire's doing here. There is something more. Something more...sinister." he stated grimly.

"Dume." the wolf repeated before standing up and walk backward into the dark part of the cave, its glowing yellow eyes being the last to disappear.

Yet, the Jedi could swear that the wolf actually disappeared into the cave wall, because right after it, that part became illuminated, revealing that there was another part of the wall, with other paintings and a crack running vertically.

"So, all the paths are coming together, right?" Ezra repeated what his Master had said that morning.

"Yeah, I'm just not sure if we're going to like where they lead." Kanan said.

"Do we ever?" Jaral asked, making Kanan chuckle softly.

"No. And yes." Kanan replied, turning toward the siblings.

"I wonder if Hera made it." Ezra commented.

"I know she did." Kanan concluded.

"If that's true, then we must prepare for the next phase of the plan." Jaral intervened before turning backward and walk toward the exit.

The two Jedi followed her.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

37.4K 1.2K 15
Book 1 in Deadly series Book 2: Tug of War Book 3: Final Blow After a fight on the Ghost, Ezra is captured by the Empire. He has no idea if the rest...
2.6K 38 27
Nothing lasts forever. After the tragic ending of the mission on Malachor, a rift seems to separate the Bridger siblings as they keep fighting for th...
1.4K 6 54
A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away... With the successful rescue of Jedi Knight KANAN JARRUS and Jedi Master AR'IABEL QUINARA, the Rebellion i...
1.1K 45 17
Anakin Skywalker knows that Obi-Wan Kenobi did not choose him as an apprentice. Instead, it was the dying wish of Obi-Wan's own Master, Qui-Gon Jinn...