Royalty, Romance Novels + Sec...

Von BlueBunnies78

Otherwise: A Story of How I Assumed the Throne In this Princess Diaries inspired romance, Princess Nora hope... Mehr

Meeting Augustus
A Tour
A Bargain
First Date
Second Date
Politics
Library Date
Mysterys
Movie
Proposal
Getting Called Out
The Wedding Coordinator
Flirt
The Night Before
Wedding
Distract Me
Games

Reception

7 2 2
Von BlueBunnies78

Together, hand in hand, we step into the hall. The celebration is already in full swing, with people snacking on little pastel desserts and music floating around. Right now, orchestral pieces are being played, but gradually, more modern pieces will make their way in. And, some pieces that are very much not approved by my mother.

The sheer blue curtains she had me put up again and again hang gracefully in the corners of the room. I hate to admit it, but maybe they were worth the work.

The hall looks beautiful at first glance with candles and string lights, until you look a little closer. Various exotic animals are in a temporary pen in the back of the hall. Standing awkwardly next to them are the fire dancers Gus hired waiting to perform.

We are ushered over to the middle table in the front of the room, with everyone else's table surrounding ours. The table to our immediate left is reserved for the parents of the bride and groom which is currently only occupied by my parents. As Gus mentioned, his father is unable to attend due to his condition. The table on the right is for my special little guests. Any and all children I could find from our families that I could invite. As we pass, I peek over and check that they did in fact get the special party favors I ordered.

Everyone stands from their seats as we are announced. "Presenting, His Royal Highness Prince Augustus Ralph Unton the Third of Ashia, and his new wife, Princess Elenora of Edria." The chairs squeak against the floor as everyone sits down again. The announcer gestures to my father.

He gets up and takes the spotlight, clasping te microphone. "Today is about new beginnings and coming together to strengthen the future. I wish my daughter all the happiness and love that will surely build into the most beautiful of partnerships." He smiles down at me and raises his glass of champagne. "To Elenora and Augustus."

"To Princess Elenora and Prince Augustus!" The crowd cheers. Oddly, I'm touched by my father's speech. I knew he cared, but to hear it, and after feeling like such a disappointment after rejecting countless suitors. I'm also glad he put away his doubts about Gus and my relationship.

I'm disrupted from my thoughts with a shrill clicking sound that echoes through the hall, that makes me break into a grin.

The kids found the hand clappers. One of the most annoying toys you could give a child. And there's an army of thirty of them. Some parents try discreetly discourage them, but being children, it only encourages them to clap louder. Other children find the bubbles hidden in the party favor bag and start blowing bubbles. One kid drops his bottle and soap suds run across the floor. There's a flash of horror on Gus's face before he wipes it away.

My father forces a smile, "Let's eat!" The daggers his and mother's eyes sent my way. I have never been in this much trouble. I feel a wave of guilt wash over me and sink a little in my chair. My father didn't deserve that after his kind words.

The servers bring out the food. An unfortunate server slips in the soap puddle and his tray crashes to the ground. The crowd gasps.

Gus and I rush over.

I get there first, and tug on the server's arm to help him sit up.

"Are you alright?" I ask.

"Yes, I'm fine. Thank you Princess." He responds. Gus helps him to stand and brushes him off.

"Feel free to go home, I'll compensate you for your time anyway." Gus tells the man.

"Thank you your highness." He gasps.

"And if I could have someone clean this up," Gus gestures to a nearby waiter who rushes over.

After a quick mop, everyone receives their food. The guests mumble at our choice of food when the dishes are revealed. However, no one can deny it was the best pizza and ribs of their lives.

The head chef comes out and claps her hands. "To the cake cutting!" The kids whos parents didn't snatch away the hand clappers shake the clappers. Ah, yes. Thank you small children! I love cake too.

A pair of workers wheel out an enormous wedding cake. It would be beautiful, if it weren't for the cake topper of a groom chained to a bride.

Gus leans over to whisper in my ear, "I hope that's not what you really think about our relationship."

"Of course not," I hiss back, "but I'm trying to set the mood." He rolls his eyes.

A server bows as they hand me a knife.

Gus's eyes go wide. "I know you're a bit of a prankster, but please don't shove cake in my face. You know what, I don't think I trust you with a knife." He goes to reach for my hand.

"No!" I yank the knife away, "Okay, okay. I'll be good."

He sighs, "Thank you."

"But you'd better watch your back," I warn, pointing the knife at him, making a point.

Neither of us spill as we feed each other small pieces of cake. It's light, fluffy, perfectly sweet and-

I almost choke on the unexpected flavor.

Everyone cheers again. Hopefully, not for my almost choking.

I turn to Gus. "Why does this taste like apples?"

He shrugs, biting his lip hard to keep from smiling, which he's failing. "I have no clue what you're talking about." He fails to hide a snort behind his hand.

I narrow my eyes. Guilty. "You have a terrible poker face. I thought you were a politician." I poke his stomach as he gives me a fake smile.

"And with that, let's dance!" Gia cheers.

Everyone jumps to their feet and heads to the space cleared for dancing. The fire dancers move into position and start their routine. Despite the unconventional part of it all, it seems to be a hit. There's a lot of oohing and ahhing coming from the crowd. A lit torch is thrown in the air, casting a golden glow across the room.

I elbow Gus. "How'd you like your ribs?" I smile up at him.

"They were good. I'm glad we had them, even if others don't agree."

The fire dancers blow fire into the air casting everyone's excited faces in a warm glow.

"How was your pizza?" He asks.

"Good. The best I've ever had." I admit.

"Good." He looks away.

Gia bounces up to us. "I just wanted to say you guys' vows were amazing."

"You don't think anyone caught on did you?" I ask her.

"Naw! But your mother looked pretty annoyed."

"Ha! I know! After tonight, I am so dead. I'll never be allowed to leave the castle again. So, nice knowing you."

Gus snorts and turns to watch the show.

The dancers throw the batons higher in the air, the fire almost touching the ceiling.

Gia slides up next to me and gives me a nudge. "I think you actually like this one."

I scoff. "Of course I do, I married him." I joke.

She rests a fist on her hip, "You know what I mean."

I scrunch up my nose. "Nah, just politics."

She frowns and walks off, leaving me to watch the last of the fire dancers' routine. Everyone politely claps as they take their bows.

An orchestral piece comes on and you can feel the royalty in the room relax. Enjoy feeling relaxed with the familiar while you can, because there's a whole lot more that I have planned. I chuckle as I rub my hands together; I feel like such an evil villain.

"First dance time," Gus says, reaching for my hand.

"We really don't have to." I protest.

"I insist. Tradition and all." He reaches towards me.

"The theme here is no tradition. Throw away tradition!" I complain, throwing my arm out wide.

"Oh well, too bad." He says taking my hand and pulling me into position.

The first few notes of the song come on. He tugs me into following the first few steps. Two steps forward, then a step backward and to the side.

"And spin," he murmurs. My skirt fans out from the momentum and gently bumps my ankles. I smile, looking into his eyes. They're warm and crinkle back at me.

Step lightly, and small kick. Spin. Return to his arms.

"Now dip." He whispers.

"Dip? That's not part of the," my eyes widen and I grab his shoulders as I'm lowered towards the floor. After a beat, I'm returned upright. His dark eyes are twinkling.

"What? Did you think I would drop you?" He teases.

"Maybe," I stammer. I realize I'm still grasping him tightly and I release my grip.

One last spin and the song comes to an end.

People cheer. I look down, embarrassed. Thankfully the next song starts up and we lose their attention.

I nudge Gus to point out an elderly woman. "Oh, look! Your grandmother's out of the nursing home."

"Gah!" He throws his hands up and walks off.

I laugh and turn away to survey the hall.

The animal handlers have a small crowd looking at the animals. As I watch, one lady gets pecked in the leg by a peacock. The first of many of my weird music choices comes on: the chicken dance. The royals that were on the dance floor come to a halt when the first few notes sound and they just stand they awkwardly. I clap along to the song, you know, like you're supposed to. Come on people! You're on the dance floor! Dance!

I watch as my mother marches up to the DJ's booth. The song immediately cuts off and another orchestral piece comes on. I watch as she argues with the DJ, their arms flailing everywhere as they fight. The DJ waves off my mother in exasperation as she marches away.

I pick out a cup of punch and sip on it as I tour the hall. There's so many exciting acts to be seen today.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see someone approaching quickly. I step aside to let them pass.

"Oh!" The figure screeches. The glass of wine in his hand crashes to the floor nearly catching me.

"Aww, just missed." I tease.

He smiles widely and flicks a lock of hair out of his face. "Yes. Sorry." He seems familiar.

"No worries. Have fun!" As I walk away, I glance back at him. He is looking at the spill with a long face. I shrug. Guilty conscience.

I walk past a group containing Gus and my father. I overhear Gus joking to father, "I married her for the library." The other people around them chuckle. Father's eyes narrow. I cannot even try to guess what is he thinking about all this.

I take a sip of my punch and walk through a crowd of people and bump into someone.

"Oh, you got me this time," I chuckle.

"What?" A deep voice asks.

"What?" I say turning. I almost choke on my punch when I see who it is.

"Christopher!" I sputter. What is he doing here?

"Elenora," he smiles.

You know what, let's ask him.

Which I do.

"Your mother invited me to insure there are no hard feelings between us. A letter that should've come from you." He says, accusation filling his voice.

"Oh." I respond, flatly.

Was that something my mother had wanted me to do? I don't remember her saying anything. I tap my glass, thinking.

"No worries, it is in the past. We are in the past." He clarifies.

"I see." I drawl.

"You know I'm surprised to see you ended up with Unton." He nods over to where Gus is still chatting. "He seems." He trails off.

"Caring?" I finish for him. Unlike you.

"No. A stodgy man who would rather hole himself up in his room than partake politics."

"He is not! He cares a great deal for his kingdom." I grit out.

"Excuse me, I assumed."

He spins me around.

"But you do agree that having a strained relationship with his dying father is a bad look." He continues.

I gasp. "His father is not dying! Leave him out of this."

"Again, my apologies, I assumed."

I frown. He seems to be doling out a lot of apologies tonight.

Thankfully this time he stays silent. I look anywhere in the room but at him.

Chris becomes very twitchy as the song drags on. He shrugs his shoulders sharply and groans.

"What is on my back?" He whips his head around to look and gasps when a monkey's head pops up.

I step back in surprise as he jumps, waving his hands wildly, shooing at the monkey.

A pair of hands twirl me around and I find myself in Gus's arms.

"Sorry for interrupting, but it looked like you could use a change of partners." He snorts.

I smile. "Gus, your timing is perfect."

We sway to the music. I lay my head on Gus's chest as he rubs my back. The gentle rocking back and forth is so comforting, I wish this was the only activity of the night.

The last few notes fade away and we step apart and bow.

"Hey, do you think anyone would notice if I suddenly shrank two inches?" I ask.

"Huh?"

"Cover me." I hiss, bending down to chuck my heels under a table. Gus just stands there, watching me with a blank expression.

"You didn't even do anything!" I complain when I stand up.

"No one even noticed anyway." He grumbles.

That's when Mother comes marching over, grabbing my arm and pulling me away. Gus trails behind, wearing a concerned look.

She yanks me into the far corner of the room, whipping around to face me. "What in the world are you thinking? Monkeys, fire, pizza? I hired a wedding coordinator so this type of thing wouldn't happen." She hisses. "And where is Lucy?"

"On vacation?" I offer.

She crosses her arms, frowning.

"I'm sorry your highness, it's my fault," Gus interrupts.

She scoffs at him. "Don't even try. I raised my daughter. I know one of her schemes when I see it. After tonight, the three of us are going to have a long talk about what you did and the damage it's causing to our reputation. And you," she turns to Gus, pointing a finger in his face, "How could you let her do this, being a respectful man such as yourself?"

He shrugs. "I don't know, I'm kinda into it."

She huffs as she walks away. "I'll deal with the two of you later. Right now I need to do damage control. Where is Lucy?" She screeches out to the nearest waitress.

Immediately after her back is turned, Gus's smile drops. He grabs my arm and drags me into another room off the hall, ignoring my protests. Once the door closes behind us, he snaps around to face me.

"I said not to take it too far." he hisses.

"Anything I would have done would've upset her!" I protest.

He drags a hand down his face. "A server slipped and fell on bubble solution."

"It was an accident."

"Those kids interrupted your father's speech with those noise makers."

"They didn't know any better." I point out.

"But you did. You chose to give them those toys and ruin a sentimental moment for your father. I told you I didn't care what you did, as long as you didn't upset your parents. Adding unconventional acts to the dance is one thing, but purposely giving loud toys to rowdy kids is another. If that was me, I'd be irritated. Actually beyond irritated."

There's a loud crash outside. Shaking his head at me, Gus opens the door to peek out.

"Don't worry. It's only the curtains your mother painstakingly picked out."

I step closer stabbing a finger in his chest. "That was not part of the plan. That. Wasn't. Me!" I emphasize.

He scoffs. "Oh, so now you're blaming the stalker? We both know it was you. You take things too far."

"I'm sorry!" I cry. "It was just a bit of fun! No one's hurt!"

He yanks a hand through his hair. "Are you? Did you forget why I'm doing this?"

The question feels condescending. It's like I'm back in school again.

"To get allies." I reply sullenly.

"Yes. Because, I don't know if you know this, but we've been getting more and more threats from another kingdom the past few years."

You never mentioned that. I thought maybe it was because you liked me a little. And I thought we were having fun. He never mentioned anything about threats.

"I need to get more allies. In order for me to do that, your parents have to like me." He continues. "Did you ever think in the back of your mind that maybe this was too much? I mean, we can't just joke around all the time."

"Gus, I'm sorry. But-"

"I don't want to hear it." Fed up, he shoves past me and slams the door.

I press a hand to the door.

My brows furrows. I thought he was on board. He said he was looking forward to this. He even added some of his own ideas.

My fingers stroke the wood grain as I think.

Didn't I say I wanted a joke wedding? We weren't supposed to take this seriously.

After a moment of sulking, I slink outside to rejoin the party.

I make eye contact with Gus and he turns away, smiling and chatting with whoever's nearest him, blatantly trying to ignore me.

Someone sets off the colored smoke bombs. People scream, concerned about how their clothes are being ruined.

It washes out. I think bitterly. Don't you think I would have thought of that?

I sigh. I was really looking forward to the color bombs. They were going to be the grand finale.

Different family members start pointing fingers and blaming each other for the huge mess, starting an argument.

From behind a group of people, Gus glares at me.

I'm about to turn away from him when Walter approaches. He passes me and whispers in Gus's ear before pulling him away. Curious, I trail along behind, and hide behind the door.

"I'm sorry sir, but he's taken a bad turn. We don't know if he'll last the week." Walter whispers.

"Alright, thank you." Gus sighs.

"We've made arrangements for your ride home right away. You and your wife's things are being packed right now. You'll leave as soon as the event's over."

"I understand."

I hear Gus lean against the wall and sigh. I do the same.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

3.9M 144K 60
Life Lesson #1: If you are planning on going to a nightclub in the middle of sketchy, dark woods, don't. Life Lesson #2: If there are too many attr...
126K 8.4K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...
199K 15.6K 22
Book One of the Modern Cliches series ~~~~~~~~~~~ Hi, my name is Sasha Elaine Wimbleton. I am your perfectly average twenty four year girl. The only...
574K 16.5K 33
I've dreamed of the perfect marriage ever since I was a little girl: a marriage complete with a hardworking husband while I tended to the home and ou...