The Line of the Sol Empress

Bởi wdhenning

For over a millennia, the Line of the Sol Empress had reigned over the scattered planets of the Sol Commonwea... Xem Thêm

Part 1 - Phoenix Star
Chapter 1
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 2.5
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 3.4
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 7.3
Chapter 7.4
Chapter 7.5
Chapter 7.6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 9.2
Chapter 9.3
Chapter 9.4
Chapter 9.5
Chapter 9.6
Chapter 10
Chapter 11.1
Chapter 11.2
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 12.2
Chapter 12.3
Chapter 12.4
Chapter 13.1
Chapter 13.2
Chapter 14
Chapter 15.1
Chapter 15.2
Chapter 15.3
Chapter 15.4
Chapter 15.5
Chapter 15.6
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 16.2
Chapter 17.1
Chapter 17.2
Part 2 - Firebird Rise
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 20.2
Chapter 20.3
Chapter 21.1
Chapter 21.2
Chapter 21.3
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25.1
Chapter 25.2
Chapter 25.3
Chapter 25.4
Chapter 25.5
Chapter 26.1
Chapter 26.2
Chapter 27.1
Chapter 27.2
Chapter 27.3
Chapter 28.1
Chapter 28.2
Chapter 28.3
Chapter 28.4
Chapter 29.1
Chapter 29.2
Chapter 29.3
Chapter 29.4
Chapter 29.5
Chapter 29.6
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33.1
Chapter 33.2
Chapter 33.3
Chapter 33.4
Chapter 33.5
Chapter 34.1
Chapter 34.2
Chapter 34.3
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38.1
Chapter 38.3
Chapter 39
Chapter 40.1
Chapter 40.2
Chapter 40.3
Chapter 40.4
Chapter 41
Author's Note

Chapter 38.2

87 18 54
Bởi wdhenning

[Hope]

The Firebird Rise landed with a gentle thump. As the whine of the thrusters faded into the evening quiet, Moon paced back and forth at the open docking hatch, grumbling impatiently until Sai deemed it safe to exit.

Gabriel nudged Hope and whispered, "Someone is anxious to get out."

Hope responded with a knowing smirk. The closer they had gotten to Vers Nederland, the more restless her father became, sometimes to the point of fluster, which was completely out of character for him. The source of his excitement stood across the landing pad wearing the white gown of a Sol Priestess with her hands tightly clasped. A cool sea breeze fluttered her dress and dark hair. Nearby stood the Empress Pro Tempore in a similar gown, beside several attendants.

Before the ground crew wheeled out the stairs, Moon jumped the two-meter gap to the tarmac and sprinted. Celeste met him half-way, jumping into his arms with a squeal. He spun her around, then pressed his lips against hers for a long deep kiss.

Hope dropped her jaw. "Is that our father?"

"And our mother," Gabriel replied, shaking his head. "Such behavior in front of us impressionable children..."

Celeste nuzzled her head against Moon's shoulder as he drew her in tight against himself. The Empress Pro Tempore narrowed her eyes in disapproval, then looked away from the public show of affection. But Hope could not tear her eyes away. A twinge of jealousy came over her. I wish I could have that.

With the stairs fixed in place and a Sol Guard in a crisp blue and red uniform standing at attention, Hope descended wearing her black tactical outfit with the red sun symbol of the Sol Way on the left shoulder, the closest thing she had to an official uniform. Eshe, Gabriel, and Claire followed her.

As Hope approached, her parents broke their embrace, but still held hands. She eyed the Empress Pro Tempore with suspicion, as this was the woman who enabled all the wrongs of the Trade Consortium. Hope looked at Celeste. But she has more reason to hate Ali.

Celeste broke with Moon and rushed over to hug her children, first Gabriel, then Hope. Ali dropped her mouth and gasped at the gesture. Apparently, hugging the Empress is frowned upon.

While in tight embrace, Hope whispered, "Can we trust her?"

Whispering back, Celeste responded, "I think so, but we should be careful. There are many agendas at work."

As Hope drew near, Ali and her attendants bowed with a hand over their hearts. Ali said, "Welcome, Empress Designate. I and all the resources of the Sol Priesthood are at your disposal."

Hope scanned Ali, looking for signs of deception in the older woman, but found none evident. "Empress Pro Tempore Ali Zahara, do you truly believe I am the genetic daughter of Empress Iona and heir apparent? Past actions suggest you did not."

"I do now, Empress." Ali raised her eyes, then dipped them again. "I... My ambition blinded me and I believed the lies. Please forgive me, Empress."

"Forgiveness may be given, but trust must be earned. There is much to discuss."

"Yes, of course, Empress. This way." With a gesture, Ali led Hope and the others toward a sprawling estate surrounded by lush gardens.

*****

The Empress' residence room astounded Hope, which was more like a luxurious mansion all for herself. An enormous poster bed, that might comfortably sleep ten, surrounded with sheer white drapes dominated one side of the bedroom. Her feet tapped across the glossy white stone floor while examining the works of art that adorned the walls. Frosted swinging doors led to a sitting room that overlooked a lush garden leading down to the sea.

A carved wooden door opened to an office lined with wood bookshelves that held actual books. In the middle of the room, soft light reflected from the mirrored top of a polished wooden desk. To one side stood a conference table surrounded by six cushioned chairs.

Hope wandered into an expansive bathroom. The white marble bathtub seemed almost big enough to swim laps. As she rounded the corner to another door, her mouth dropped, since there waited a spa pool where she actually could swim laps. A massage table topped with folded fluffy white towels stood ready to one side.

A guilt enveloped her like a dark cloud. This is far too much. How could I be an Empress for the people while living in such opulence?

Gabriel, with Eshe at his side, came up behind his sister. "Wow. I thought my room was posh, but this is over the top."

"Yeah," Hope said. "Way over the top."

"Empress, if I may," said a young woman wearing white shirt and slacks, which seemed to be the dress of the assistants and attendants. Her eyes scanned Hope. "We obtained your measurements from your ship AI and should have suitable gowns sewn for you by the morning. What a strange AI, though. It wanted to tell me your life story," she remarked while scrolling through a tablet viewer. "Ah yes, and we have you scheduled to meet with Priestess Ciel's legal representatives now and then dinner with the Sol Board."

Gabriel smirked. "No rest for the wicked, Hope."

The attendant narrowed her eyes at him for a moment, then addressed her tablet, "Locate Priestess Ciel."

A plain female voice responded from the tablet. "The Priestess is in her quarters with a guest."

Tapping the woman on the arm, Gabriel cautioned, "They have been separated for a while. I would suggest that you do not barge in too quickly."

As the attendant led them away, Hope whispered to her brother, "They are not used to us backwater outsiders, so behave."

The lead attorney, Gael Bross, and two other women of the legal team rose from their chairs as Hope, Gabriel, Claire, and Eshe entered the conference room. She bowed and placed a hand over her heart. "Welcome, Empress. I am pleased to finally meet you."

After a few moments, Celeste and Moon walked in hand-in-hand. The slight flush on Celeste's cheeks paled next to the full blush on the attendant that escorted them. Gabriel cast a knowing smirk toward Hope, whispering, "I told them..."

When they all sat down, Gael began the briefing. "With the evidence provided, I feel optimistic about a full acquittal. At the upcoming evidence hearing I will move for immediate dismissal of all charges, and I think we will be successful for some." She turned toward Claire and smiled. "Thank you, Claire, for agreeing to testify. Your words will help ensure a successful outcome."

Claire smiled in return. "It will be my pleasure, ma'am."

"If it would help," Hope interjected, "I would also be happy to take the witness stand."

"I might take you up on that offer, Empress." Gael winked, then continued. "Invoking the Prosecution from the Defense statute to condemn the Trade Consortium is more problematic. In short, we need more solid evidence of corruption. It is somewhat of a Catch 22 situation, if I may use that ancient term, in that we need the powers of the statute in order to get the evidence needed to enact it."

After a nod from Gabriel, Hope said, "We understand there is a secret database detailing Consortium activities, including the illegal ones, within their headquarters building. I may be able to access it. Do you understand how, Ms. Bross?"

Gael nodded. "I do, Empress."

"What are the legal ramifications of obtaining evidence in this way?" Hope asked.

"There was a precedent set long ago. The court allowed the evidence because the Empress did not actually break into or hack the files. I think it would be allowed."

"Good." Hope turned back to Eshe, standing behind with arms crossed, who frowned but said nothing. "We will make plans to do so."

Celeste leaned forward, unclasping Moon's hand. "Hope, you must not put yourself at risk on my account. There may be other ways."

"If it might take down the Trade Consortium," Hope replied, "Then it will be worth the risk." Eshe let out a subtle grunt from behind, to which Hope sighed. "We will work to manage the risk."

After a knock on the door, the attendant peeked in, glancing down at her tablet, "Pardon me, Empress Designate, but it is time to meet with the Sol Governance Board."

Hope gulped, and a nervous tingle crawled down her spine. The Board, made up of senior Sol Priestesses and legalists, had the responsibility of selecting a new Sol Empress, or in very rare cases, removing one, all by a rigorous code. They were essentially the checks and balances to the office.

"I will escort the Empress Designate," Gael said. Moon and the others stood, except Celeste, to which Gael held out a hand. "Only the Designate, daughter of Iona, is allowed."

"I wish to bring my brother, Gabriel," Hope said. "He is also a genetic offspring of Iona."

Gael thought for a moment, putting a hand to her chin. "Very well."

Two massive white doors ahead looked like an entrance to court, where judgment would be cast. The closer they got, the tighter the anxiety that gripped Hope's heart. She wrapped her arms around herself, then jerked when a hand appeared on her shoulder.

"Don't worry, Hope," Gabriel whispered. "You've got this. Like, what other choice do they have?" He grinned. "And I promise not to screw it up for you."

"Yeah." She nodded with a grin as his words eased her racing heart. Sometimes, he says the right thing.

A guard in a blue and red uniform holding a ceremonial staff bowed as they approached. The heavy door creaked and groaned in protest as the guard hefted it open. Hope almost expected to see flickering torches and a hooded jury inside.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

The Real Ram Bởi TJ_Croft37

Khoa Học Viễn Tưởng

1.7M 114K 68
Mankind is evolving. Some love it, some fear it. Some embrace it, some envy it. For Zoey, the evolution of man has always been in the darkest part of...
4.4K 76 12
everything that goes through my head about TADC :) if u want u can request :> ☁︎☁︎☁︎☁︎☁︎☁︎☁︎ ☆𝚃𝚒𝚝𝚕𝚎★ ➪ Humor ☆𝕋𝕚𝕥𝕝𝕖★ ➪ One shots ☆ᴛɪᴛʟᴇ★...
30.2K 601 6
"I've had food brought to our chambers, as much as I could demand in good conscience. Juliet, you have to find Pascal and secure yourselves until the...
147K 9.9K 47
In the mystical realm of Wrewan, Allura Weaver's life takes an unexpected turn when she finds herself betrothed to the formidable ruler, Lord Cayold...