SECOND CHANCES (ORIGINAL WORK)

Por HOPE_PERALES

[COMPLETED] When Angeline married Nathan Snyder, it was supposed to give her the perfect life. Her dream was... Mais

COPYRIGHT
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

823 16 9
Por HOPE_PERALES

The truck decelerated rapidly as he pressed on the brake, and, with all the skill he had in him, Jason maneuvered it to the curb just by his house. He jumped out of the truck once it came to a halt, switched off the ignition, and raced right behind it with a mind overcome with fear for what Nathan might have done to Aaliyah now that he had found her.

He would make the sick bastard pay if he ever brought harm to Aaliyah and his child. His stomach curdled with only the thought of it. He made a silent prayer as he raced up the porch.

"Lia!" Jason called out her name before he even opened the door, panic having choked common sense out of him. He couldn't care less about strategy and the element of surprise. He just needed to get to her.

As he burst through the front door, a muffled scream echoed to his right. He turned immediately and saw Aaliyah on the other side of the living room with a man behind her. The man had one hand over her mouth and the other hand had a gun pointed to her waist.

Jason felt the shock of recognition a split second before the intruder brought up his gun and leveled it at Jason's chest. Jason quickly dove down to the floor just as the intruder's bullet hit the door frame, splintering the wood and sending jagged pieces of wood flying.

Jason flinched, bringing up his arm to block the worst of the shrapnel. Aaliyah's screams had changed from a muffled shriek of warning to a muffled shriek of terror.

"Well, shit, I missed," the man snarled.

Jason searched frantically for a safe place to hide and settled behind the kitchen island. He searched his pockets for his gun and cursed at himself when he relaxed that it must have fallen out of his pocket while he ran to hide.

As he looked up, Jason could see that the man who attempted to kill him just now was indeed Nathan Snyder. The hate in his chest burned the same as the first time he looked him up on Google, wondering how the hell he could have gotten away with being such an excuse of a man for so long.

His focus shifted to Aaliyah immediately after. She was barely recognizable. The bags under her eyes were heavy like she had been up for a long time. Her cheeks were puffy and her forehead was pale. She looked sickly and he noticed perspiration break out across her neck.

He realized she'd been crying.

He wanted to hold her and warm her up with assurances that he would never let her feel any more vulnerable than she had since he had caught her. However, when his gaze landed on the blood on her hands and her stomach, he saw red.

"Just so you know, I'm going to fucking kill you for hurting her," Jason warned from his position behind the island.

"Big words for a man with no weapon to defend himself with," Nathan said with a wild grin as he waved his gun around. "Now get out from behind there, or I'll be doing a lot more than hurting her."

Jason muttered a curse before moving out from behind the kitchen island with his hands held up.

He looked at Aaliyah's trembling form. "It's okay, baby," he reassured her as he stared into those terrified green eyes of hers. "I'm here."

"How sweet." Nathan's tone was mocking as he pulled her closer, and Aaliyah struggled wildly. "Is that the bullshit you spoon feed her with every day?"

"It's not bullshit when it's true," Jason shot back. "Do you get off seeing her like that? Look at her, she's terrified."

Nathan lowered the gun, leaned closer to her and licked her cheek. "Maybe," he whispered as Aaliyah flinched away from him, a disgusted look in her eyes. Nathan released his hand from her mouth and violently backhanded her across the face. Her head whipped to the side, and she fell onto the couch.

"Lia!" Jason called, running to her quickly. He was at her side in seconds, kneeling down next to her with genuine concern. He touched her chin, lifting her eyes to his. He brushed the heated flesh gently with the back of his hand, his expression unreadable. "I'm so sorry, baby. I'm so sorry."

Aaliyah shook her head and tried to give him a reassuring smile, but her face wouldn't cooperate.

His hands moved to her shirt that was now soaked in blood. Before he could open his mouth to speak, he felt the cold kiss of a gun's muzzle on the back of his neck.

"Get up," Nathan ordered. "Now."

"Alright," Jason said and slowly rose to his feet. "Just take it easy—"

It was at that moment he really saw Lucas sprawled on the floor.

Jason had seen him previously in his peripheral vision, the moment he had burst through the door, but his brain hadn't registered what he had seen.

He looked at Lucas properly now. He was lying on the floor, perfectly still, with blood oozing from the side of his head.

Had he been so consumed by Aaliyah's protection that he hadn't even taken note of the things his eyes saw in there? He hadn't even realized up until that moment that Lucas had been missing in action.

He didn't have the luxury of time to pursue the thought when Nathan pressed the muzzle deeper into his flesh.

Jason wondered what he could do without bringing harm to himself, Aaliyah, or the baby. Nothing came to him, so he acted naturally and pulled Aaliyah to himself, shielding her with his body. She turned toward him and held onto his arm tightly, pressing her face against his arm and sniffing his scent. It made the moment almost bearable.

"Move it," Nathan ordered. "I'm going to finish you off quickly, then Angeline and I will be leaving."

Jason looked at her, and she lifted her head a degree in time to see the smile of assurance on his face.

"He got Lucas?" Jason asked in a low tone.

"Yes. He's still alive, though," she answered.

"How did he find you?" he asked again.

"Deborah," Aaliyah said simply.

"Move it the fuck on!" Nathan barked at once, insisting on his presence being acknowledged.

This was it. Jason couldn't let him shoot him because he needed to protect Aaliyah and their baby. He let out a silent prayer that he would be fast enough to get the gun off of him, that it didn't go off in the scuffle. He quickly reached one hand behind himself and shoved Aaliyah away from him and in the direction of the couch.

She yelped in surprise.

Jason moved swiftly, ducking right under Nathan's arm and knocking his elbow. Nathan bellowed in surprise and pain. His hand gave in and the gun hung loosely in his grip. Jason landed another punch on his elbow and the gun dropped. He then kicked it reflexively, as far as he could from Nathan's reach. It skittered out the front door and down the porch steps.

Nathan reacted slowly, and Jason head-butted his nose.

"You hurt my girl and my sister, you piece of shit!" Jason cursed, throwing a punch to his side. Nathan took it in his ribs but managed to dodge Jason's left hook aimed for his face.

Nathan punched right back, landing a couple of combos but his punch did not carry as much sting as to hurt Jason. Perhaps, Jason was numb from adrenaline because he started to counter them, barreling Nathan with a round of blows and pushing him toward the door and away from Aaliyah. Jason finished off by throwing his shoulder into Nathan's mid-section, crashing both of them out the front door frame and onto the porch.

Nathan was bloodied from the scuffle but he fought back viciously. He managed to get on top of Jason, landing him with a few savage blows. Jason spat blood in Nathan's face and used his blind moment to push him off his body. With Nathan off balance, Jason pushed him to the ground with his weight and landed as many blows as he could.

Aaliyah was helpless to stop the fight and all of her cries for help traveled throughout the open ranch and returned to her in a pathetic echo.

Nathan swiftly raised his knee, and it caught Jason in the midsection, who in turn rolled down the porch and collapsed to the ground. Using his new advantage, Nathan crawled on top of Jason, straddling him, then quickly pulled a knife from his belt and jabbed at him.

Releasing the grip on his abdomen, Jason balled his right hand into a tight fist. Making a ninety-degree angle with his arm, he raised his arm above his head sharply to meet the strike while simultaneously chopping quickly into the crook of the attacking arm, hoping to deplete the strength of the arm.

An instant later, Jason felt his strength give out. The knife pierced his left shoulder, running painfully deep. His eyes widened as he screamed.

Nathan didn't waste any time to continue raining his assault on Jason.

"Jason!" Aaliyah screamed, running the fingers of both hands frantically through her hair.

She raced out of the house, looked out for the gun quickly and when she spotted it down the stairs, she hurried for it. She picked it and quietly ran back up the stairs. In her head, she ran through the instructions Jason had given her and she checked if the safety was off and true to her suspicion, the savage had kept it on.

She held the gun up and leveled it at Nathan, keeping her distance.

"Stop, stop it Nathan or I swear I'm going to shoot!" Aaliyah cried, sniffing back on the mucus in her nostrils.

Nathan's raised fist lingered in the air as he turned back to see Aaliyah wielding the gun. She caught the look of surprise on his face and then it switched to a smile.

"You're going to hurt yourself, Angel. Put that gun away now like a good girl," he said to her.

"Don't fucking talk to me like that!" Aaliyah warned, trying to keep the gun straight on him.

He dropped his hand to his side and let out a chuckle. The blood dripping down his nose cast him in a barbaric aspect.

"You never learn from your mistakes, do you?" he mocked. "It never goes well when you touch a gun, Angeline. Just be sweet and..."

The gun went off twice and Aaliyah flinched, dropping it inadvertently. She picked it up swiftly fearing he was going to reach for it.

Nathan let out an animalistic growl, and when the flash settled, Aaliyah saw he had crawled off Jason, holding tightly to his bleeding abdomen. He groped the air, reaching his hands out to her. She was stunned, rooted to the ground with the gun in her firm grip, pointed at him.

Aaliyah was so dazed at the turn of events that she shuddered when Jason reached to her and held her; she hadn't noticed him move. He was bloodied from all the strikes he had received from Nathan. He touched her softly on the shoulder and she no longer felt the rigidity that followed her watching Nathan gasp for breath.

"It's okay, Lia. Gimme the gun, sweetheart. It's over now. He can't hurt you anymore," Jason said softly and she stared blankly, unable to process any of the things he had said.

Aaliyah started to exhale sharply and she felt the world spin right beneath her. Jason pinched her hands away from the trigger, and she watched him do it without resistance.

"It's okay now," he said when she no longer had the gun and she felt the world started to come back to normal.

"Oh God," Aaliyah whimpered, inhaling and shuddering in one action.

He pulled her into his warm embrace and he pressed his face against his chest.

"It's okay, baby," he repeated hoarsely, over her head.

Aaliyah heard what he said but she could not immediately process what it was to her. Only three words replayed over and over in her head.

I killed someone.

"Thank God you're fine," Jason said again in a hoarse tone of one trying to suppress emotions and kissed some of the anxiety off her mind by planting his lips on her forehead. He spoke some more and his voice broke off.

The sudden rush of emotions overcame her and Aaliyah burst into tears. Jason held her closer and ran his fingers through her hair as she cried. They remained that way for minutes that seemed an eternity, and within the warmth that he provided, she felt safe.

She breathed his scent and clenched his jacket for more of him. His stubble tickled her forehead, and she was never more aware of his presence than she was at that moment and she was grateful for it.

"You're okay now, sweetheart," he said and pulled away from her gingerly.

Aaliyah started to shiver when he let go of her, moving quickly across with two full strides and headed straight into the house. He tucked the gun into the back of his waistband before disappearing inside, probably to check on Lucas.

She backed further from Nathan, but at last she was unable to stand one moment longer. She sat on the ground, shaking uncontrollably, pain-racked, and sick with relief.

In time, local authorities and emergency services appeared in the distance. Jason watched as they approached. Aaliyah mutely studied the lifeless Nathan.

***

From her hospital bed, Aaliyah recounted the events of that morning to the authorities in a halting, quiet voice, watching Sylvia and Jeffrey go pale and grimace at some parts.

She reached over to the cup of water and took a welcome sip, trying to bring her erratic heart rate under control.

"Mrs. Snyder—"

"Miss, Barnette," she corrected.

The officer cleared his throat. "Barnette," he said. "We're going to need to collect a formal statement from you."

Aaliyah closed her eyes and rubbed her aching forehead trying to fathom how they got to this.

Sylvia put an arm around her, pulling her close. Her face remained impassive as she regarded the officer.

"We really need to wrap this up, please."

He hesitated a moment before nodding.

"We'll finish this another time, Ms. Barnette. You rest." The officer tucked his notebook away and stood. "In the meantime, we'll put out an APB on Ms. Sparks and take it from there."

Aaliyah nodded. "Thank you," she said in a low hoarse voice.

The first officer headed to the door while his partner stood and followed after him, but paused a moment before turning to look at her. "I'm glad you're alright," he told her. "Not many women are fortunate in these types of situations. You were one of the lucky ones."

Aaliyah nodded and he left the room. She blinked back the insistent tears pricking her eyes and drew a shaky breath.

"Hey." Jeffrey stepped forward, his voice filled with concern. Taking the cup from her hand, he tenderly folded her into his arms. "It's over now," he murmured against her hair, his voice hoarse.

"I'm so sorry." Her tears started to fall.

"Hush." He stroked her hair, and she wept into his neck.

"It's all my fault. Nathan came for me..."

"This isn't your fault, Aaliyah," he assured her. "You are not responsible for his actions."

"He's right," Sylvia chimed in. "We knew what we signed up for when we took you in, honey. All that matters is that you, the baby, and everyone else are safe now."

Aaliyah opened her mouth to speak, but a familiar voice sounded outside the door.

"Please. You don't understand; I have to see her."

"Mr. Moore, you really—"

The nurse never had a chance to finish as the door flung open with a clang, and there in the entrance stood a dismayed Jason. He was dressed in just his shirtsleeve and denim jean pants. Guilt flooded her as she could see that his face was heavily bruised and his arm was in a sling.

She drank in the sight of him and relief coursed through her, leaving her spent, exhausted, and completely elated. Yet her tears didn't stop.

"Jason..."

He moved toward her, blue eyes bright though weary and anxious. From somewhere deep inside, she found the strength to stagger to her feet and bolt into his open arm.

"Jason!" she sobbed.

"Are you okay?" he asked, nuzzling her hair with his chin.

She sniffled softly, finally raising her head to look at him. "A few bruises and some stitches, but other than that, I'm alright," she assured him. "How's Lucas?"

"He suffered a wicked concussion but doctors say he'll pull through," he answered.

She nodded, relieved, and touched the helpless arm which rested in its sling and her tears started anew. "Oh, baby, I'm so sorry."

Jason shook his head. "Don't worry about me, I'm fine." He glanced down worriedly at her stomach, placing his free hand tenderly against the bulge. "How's the baby?"

"She's fine," she assured him. "Your mother made them take another ultrasound to make sure. Her heart beat is strong."

"Oh, thank God. If something happened to—" His sentence cut short as he realized Aaliyah had revealed their baby's gender. They had chosen to keep their child's gender a surprise until he or she was born. "Did you say 'she'?"

Aaliyah gasped when she realized what she had said. Finally, she said, "I was scared of what might have happened to the baby after everything that happened. I couldn't wait. I had to know."

She saw his eyes widen slightly, but he said nothing.

"Please don't be mad, Jason."

Jason's expression softened as he regarded her. He tenderly grasped her chin and nudged her gaze to meet his and said, "Mad? Baby, how could I be mad?" he said, smiling. "I was right. We're having a little girl."

"Mm-hmm."

"I love you," he whispered, and he ran his nose down hers.

Aaliyah grinned, caught in his infectious smile. "I love you too. Very much."

***

Aaliyah sighed wearily, resting her head on the edge of the bed where Samantha lied, healing and fast asleep. She was exhausted in a way that was more than just being pregnant. The very marrow of her bones felt weary and she was also mentally and emotionally exhausted as well.

She wished there was something else she could do, some magic cure that would wake Samantha up, but she knew the doctors had already done all they could, and now she just had to wait. Waiting was always the hardest part.

The mattress cushioned her forehead as she closed her eyes. She wished she could be in Jason's arms right now, curled up in bed so he could hold her close and whisper soothing words to her. She wanted to be near him, but ever since that dreadful night, he had been preoccupied with authorities since their home was now marked as a crime scene. However, she couldn't bring herself to go back there, at least not right now.

Every time she stepped foot on that property, all she could see was Nathan on the porch, covered in blood, eyes blank as he lied there lifeless. Through selfish intentions, Deborah had given Nathan her location, putting everyone she loved at risk. He'd fulfilled his promise. He found her. With crazed determination, he'd driven to Port Isabel to kill her and her new family, and he would have succeeded if it weren't for Jason teaching her how to use a firearm.

As for Deborah. The police had tried to locate her but had absolutely no luck. Inquiries were being made with old clients, associates, and at places she used to frequent but where was no trace of her.

Before her mind could continue its walk down this bleak and depressing path, she heard a soft murmur come from the bed next to her. Aaliyah instantly jumped to her feet and breathlessly hovered over the sandy blonde-haired girl. The eyelashes that had rested so gently on her porcelain skin fluttered open to reveal twin caramel orbs.

Immediately Aaliyah pressed the button at her bedside calling for a nurse, speaking gently and clearly as she explained what happened and where they were. Samantha listened with wide eyes, taking in her surroundings as if she couldn't quite believe what happened with Nathan was finally over.

"It-It's over?" she said softly, voice wavering.

Aaliyah smiled, trying not to remember the hauntingly vacant eyes of her husband who had almost succeeded by killing them, a fate both of them had so narrowly avoided. "Yeah, Sam," she assured. "It's over." 

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

1.9M 50.6K 48
Nicola and Gabriel used to be best friends while growing up, but she had made the classic mistake of falling in love with him, which resulted in not...
40.6K 1.7K 31
✴ Book 2 of "Taming His Mistress" ✴ Everyone has their demons. Some of us choose to keep them hidden. But what happens when your demons come out to p...
3.1K 611 17
After two opposites find comfort in each other and have an instant connection but can't be together, they collide again months later and get a secon...
47.2K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...