Chapter 12

Shara watched the NBC morning news while she waited next to Gate 13 at LAX airport. The newscasters were covering the latest cadet story – Jonathan’s disappearance and collapse. Jonathan didn’t remember anything. Perfect. She’d suffered serious anxiety after leaving him alive. The human subconscious was a curious thing. She woke in the middle of the night, sweating and terrified. She’d dreamed of her superior, punishing her for carelessness, making small slices in her soft, human flesh.

As a Rik, Shara had dreamed plenty of times. She’d dreamed memories of the day, memories of childhood, or meaningless color-scapes. The human brain took dreaming to an amazingly dark sensory level. It created scenes she never experienced – with color, smell, and pain. She rubbed her side, still able to feel the knife touching her ribs. If humans could sell their dreams, they could take over the galaxy.

Culture was money, in the galactic community. Hard resources – minerals, oil, water – you could get those anywhere. Culture, on the other hand… was profitable. The Crosspoint, ugly little slugs, made bundles on their phosphorescent body paint and tactile poetry scrolls. The Merith made the most on their food, Merith restaurants dotted the galaxy. But Earth – Shara had never seen a culture with so much potential. The movie industry alone would support Earth for years. Their music, the ridiculous number of languages, their art… they had everything. If they could learn a way to record dreams – the galaxy would go nuts. Earth could be the first planet to enter the council as a level 8 culture.

That was why she was here. The Rik wanted Earth. Unlike humans, the Rik had no discernible culture. They were parasites with no name. The original Rik were an ocean-dwelling people with gigantic underwater cathedrals. A few generations ago, Shara’s people took over the Rik planet. They converted the Rik bodies to their own use, as Shara had done with this human girl. Now they were known as the Rik, but even their name was stolen.

Of course, the galactic counsel knew what had happened, and the Rik were generally despised. If they were discovered throwing Earth’s trial – bad things would happen.

All that would change soon. When humanity lost the trial, they would be declared non-sentient. They would have no protection from a Rik invasion then.

Shara smiled as she saw her next target come towards the gate.

Akemi sat in a wheelchair with a special plastic oxygen tank hanging from the back. A thin plastic tube stretched from the tank to a clear mask over her nose and mouth.

She was a slight girl, probably 90 pounds. At need, Shara could carry her without any help. That might be useful.

Akemi was wheeled down the tunnel to the airplane before anyone else. She was allowed to pre-board before the first class passengers because she needed assistance. After her empty wheelchair was brought back out the flight attendants started boarding.

“Flight 8410 to Tokyo, flight 8410. First class passengers and AirPass members may begin boarding.”

Shara waited until Section 6 was called to grab her bag and get on the plane.

On the plane, Akemi had been moved to a normal seat. The oxygen tank rested at her feet, and her mother adjusted the mask over her face. Akemi’s eyes were closed, and she looked in pain.

As Shara came down the aisle, Akemi opened her eyes. She gave a slight smile as Shara stopped across the aisle from her.

“I guess this is my spot,” Shara said. She pushed her backpack around a bit until it slid under the seat, and plopped down next to Akemi. She was silent for a moment, but saw that Akemi was looking at her. Perfect.

 “My name is Shara. I wanted to tell you, I love your top. Very organic yet… self-contained.”

“Thanks.” Akemi looked ready for a distraction. “This is one of my favorites. The neckline reminds me of an iris,” she paused. “Plus, it’s loose, so I can wear it over my bandages.” She pulled her neckline down a few inches to show the top of the thick bandage covering her scar.