one

season one episode one

nova rousseau walked slowly behind governor jameson as she approached the man in uniform

nova rousseau walked slowly behind governor jameson as she approached the man in uniform. her green eyes darted around, eyeing everyone around them behind her sunglasses.

"thank you for seeing me, commander." governor jameson extended her hand out to him and he shakes it. "i'm so sorry for your loss. there are no words to make this easy."

"is this about the investigation?" commander mcgarrett asked her, whilst eyeing nova who stopped a few feet behind the governor, but she was still in earshot.

governor jameson glanced back to her briefly before turning back to commander mcgarrett. "we're doing everything we can. we have alerts out across all the islands." she assured him.

"all due respect, you're not going to find victor hesse with roadblocks and search warrants." mcgarrett said. "he's gone underground until he can find a safe way to leave the island. now why am i here?"

"i'd like to help you get what you came for." governor jameson told him and off his look, she motioned in front of them. "let's walk." she turned to nova, gesturing towards her. "commander mcgarrett this is special agent nova rousseau." the two held eye contact as they nodded at each other.

nova waits for the two to pass her before following behind them as they walked along the endless ocean horizon. "you know as well as i do: when people think of us, it's beaches, luaus, and mai-tais — that goes for the wallets in washington, until i reminded them our strategic importance hasn't changed since world war two: these islands were the early warning and first line of defence against invading armies, only now we do it with international terrorists — to say nothing of the drug smugglers, organised crime, human trafficking and prostitution — it all comes through here first."

the governor continues. "except we can't just close the roads and bridges when someone pulls the alarm — we're surrounded by water in case you haven't noticed, and if the number eight arms dealer on interpol's watch list can just slip in undetected and murder a police officer... it's time for a game changer." the three stop walking and turn to each other. "your fathers death was a wake up call — i can't afford to wait for the next appropriations bill to pass: i'm putting together a task force. i want you to run it. special agent rousseau will also be assigned to the task force."

"you don't even know me." mcgarrett glanced between the two.

"i know your resume." governor jameson said confidently. "annapolis. navy seals. four years as a special investigator. then five with naval intelligence. i cant think of anyone better—"

mcgarrett cut her off. "okay, let me stop you right there. i've been tracking victor hesse for five years. his reach is far and wide, his sources are well hidden — the man's a ghost, like i've never seen in my career — if he was bold enough to surface, i promise you he's already planned an exit strategy and he knows i know it — which means i can barely even afford the hour it'll take to bury my father, let alone stand here talking to you."