prom

This was Bug's last year of school. Convinced in their head that they were going to prom they had bought a prom dress. They counted the days leading up to prom excited, but when it came Bug could only feel empty.

     They stayed in bed because having no date or friends made it pointless. All the money spent for that horrid dress was pointless. All of it was for nothing.

     Bug slid off of the bed with a soft thud. They pulled down their riding up shorts and stood up. They grabbed their backpack and let all the binders and pencils drop of their light brown rug. Bug looked around their plain room for everything they needed. The backpack stuffed with random shit was mostly pointless except for that ugly dress and some papers.

     They made their way down the long hallway to their parents room near the steps. The door slowly opened and Bug peaked in to make sure no one was there. Swiftly but quietly moving, Bug went to the closet. From the already open doors, Bug slid out a metal box. They slowly opened it and grabbed the crucial piece of the plane inside.

     As quiet as they could, they went down the steps grabbing their shoes and heading off.

     The continence store sign was annoyingly bright as Bug walked up. The automatic doors opened for them as they hurried inside. The avoided eye contact with the middle aged store clerk and heading father in. Bug grabbed their favorite snacks and a jug of water. They took the money out of their hoodie pocket. After the quick transaction Bug got out the store and started speed walking.

     The walk was excruciatingly long. With all this time they had, Big had a moment to think. Think about how nobody at school liked them romantically or platonically, how they almost didn't even graduate, how small their presence was, how big their body was, and how horrid that fucking dress was.

     The park was closed by now, but having no gate people could still wander in and cause a ruckess. Luckily for Bug it was dead quiet. They made their way into a little field right behind the park.

     With the sticks and logs in the wooded area across from them, Bug was able to make a fire. Their lighter lit up the dry wood. Bug fed the fire and ate until it was big enough for what they needed to do. The zipper loudly opened and They pulled out the horrid first. The dreadful dress was folded and put into the fire. The fire crackled louder as it destroyed the fabric.

     Prom was suppose to be this magical night but here they were sitting by a fire illegally lit behind a park. Negative thoughts soon left their head as the fumes were too strong to even think. This left their brain painfully empty. They took a sip from the jug before pulling out the papers.

     Bad doodles and writings filled her hands. Before they had felt like accomplishments but as time went on they felt more like disappointments. The disappointments of drawings that never got better after years of practice and writings that sound like they were written by an illiterate eleven year old who listens to MCR. The disappointments of knowing no matter how much they tried it never got better. One by one those disappointments made it into the fire.

     An hour past and Bug thought it was time to put the flames out before something happed. Grabbing the Jug of water they took one last sip before pouring over and around the fire. They made sure it was all out before sitting down and grabbing the crucial piece. Putting it in their mouth they had one last thought, "Here's to the next life."