Oh, she couldn't deny that Lily had talent in Charms and Transfiguration. They were probably up to par in those, as well as Potions. But Lily had no mind for difficult topics. Arithmancy confused her and Runes bored her. While Hermione could concede it was the same for her with Care of Magical Creatures and Divination, they certainly weren't going to give Lily any life or academic advantage. And what did Lily even want to do? She never spoke of pursuing a particular mastery or career. They'd take their O.W.L.s this year, and yet the only thing she'd ever mentioned was maybe trying to write for Witch Weekly. Yet Slughorn saw her as having more potential.

"Hermione," Remus said, putting his hands on her shoulders. "You're bloody brilliant. You're easily the top of our house, if not the year. Not being invited by Slughorn does not take that away from you. And really, do you want to have to endure James and Sirius?"

"I suppose not," she said with a wry grin. "And I suppose I can't be too jealous of Lily, considering she'll be their sole focus."

"Exactly," Remus replied, stepping back slightly. "And maybe, on the nights that they're there, we could spend time together?"

"I'm not sure you could handle my study habits."

"I think I could try," Remus replied, bashful and ... blushing?

Hermione's heart sank as she considered what it could mean if Remus was asking to spend time with her. She didn't want to hurt him or assume, but she had to wonder if he fancied her a bit.

"We get to go to Slug Club!" Lily's exuberant voice preceded her, and Hermione turned to give her friend a smile and a hug in congratulations.

"I have no idea why you're so thrilled about it," Severus said with a roll of his eyes. "Uncomfortable dinners with people whom Slughorn collects and boasts about for his own benefit."

Hermione glanced over her shoulder as Remus pointedly cleared his throat, and Hermione shook her head as he gave a satisfied grin.

"Still," she said as she stepped around Lily to Severus, "it'll be good for you." She didn't dare hug him, not now, not over something he wasn't excited about. Instead, she took his hand and gave it a squeeze.

"I have better ways of getting where I need to be," he replied, and she knew better than to ask. He swiped his thumb over her knuckles twice before he dropped her hand. "Lunch is halfway over and I cannot sit through History of Magic on an empty stomach. We should go." And like that, the four of them headed to the Great Hall, mention of the Slug Club forgotten.

—————S—————

October 25, 1975

Severus headed for the library, trying his absolute hardest to ignore the slight churn in his stomach and his clammy hands. He had not made extra sure his hair was as clean as possible nor did he purposely wear an untucked white oxford with his casual trousers in an effort to look nice but not too formal. He carried his satchel with a grip far too tight for something holding only two textbooks, a bit of parchment, a quill, and some ink.

Occlumency had at least taught him how to control his heart rate, so instead of it pounding in his chest, it remained steady, if slightly elevated.

Hogsmeade weekend had been officially announced for next week, and he still had strong memories of this time last year. Memories of being nervous to ask Lily to accompany him, of his elation when she agreed, of his bitter and gut-wrenching disappointment when she didn't show. He also remembered how he'd raged internally when Hermione stepped in to cover for her, for allowing all the blame, the anger to fall on her when she barely knew him. She hadn't even realized how she'd helped him; he'd only endured a good-humored ribbing from his housemates. He should have joined her like a proper wizard instead of leaving her alone.