"Thank you, Muichirou-kun."

Muichirou hums. Mitsuko thinks to herself if it's acknowledgement or satisfaction.

Facing her ramen, she can't help but think that this is nice. Muichirou slowly gets a bit more talkative towards her and if she is correct, this is the most of the words Muichirou has spoken. It isn't curt nor cold, like before.

"Who are you?"

The words stings, but Mitsuko reassures herself that one day, someday Muichirou will get all of his memories back and everything will be lighter, even for just a tiny bit. That would be great. Didn't they talk about killing demons together?

By the time Muichirou regains his memories, Mitsuko will be here for him.

For now, she's patient.

* * *

Mitsuko plops down on her futon with low thud. Her crimson irises train on the ceiling, unconsciously following the lines encrypted for design and technical purposes.

Raising her wrist, Mitsuko smiles.

That's an improvement. She thought.

She let her eyelids flutter close and breathed out a sigh, easing her mind.

Fujisaki Tsukiko.

From what she had gathered, Tsukiko was a sickly girl and she had gone missing a few years ago. The residents of Rikubetsu had long given up in searching for her, but people said that they were still hoping that Tsukiko was at least alive.

In this time and era where demons crawl, Mitsuko thought that no, there's no way, for even if Tsukiko managed to escape one demon alive, she had wounds and she was sickly. There's no way she was going to survive.

She hasn't seen a glimpse nor a shadow of the demon Tamayo or her assistant, Yushiro. It is inevitable, since they're demons and they're hiding from the corps. It will be great if she runs into them again. Unlike before, she has questions to ask. She has curiosity and a sense of self-searching to assemble the missing pieces of her past.

If she finds Tsukiko, then what? Mitsuko knows that this Tsukiko might be a vital piece to her blank memories, but what comes after that?

Don't.

She can almost hear her mind say, like hands covering her eyes, blinding her and stealing her sight of the truth.

Mitsuko sits up.

What is in those missing five years?

"Mitsuko."

Her eyes flitter to the sliding door, meeting Giyuu's. His face is set tense and worried. She smiles. She'll be departing today for Rikubetsu, back to her investigation and another long time for exchanging letters and yearning teases.

"Don't worry about me, Nii-san," Mitsuko starts, standing and approaching Giyuu, "I'm a Pillar remember?"

Even if her words says assurance, it doesn't seem to have an effect on Giyuu at all. "Still," he says.

Silence follows after. Giyuu ponders over his own words.

"No matter what you find out about yourself -" his brows furrow, his words are rushed and Mitsuko is reminded that Giyuu-nii-san is a man of few words now, "- I'm here. Always here."

His hand catches Mitsuko's studying the hardened and calloused skin. He can only grimace in bitterness at the distant memory of Mitsuko admiring their sister's soft hands, another humble dream thrown away because of their lives in this moment.

"I will still be here. I'm not leaving you alone."

It sounds like Giyuu is swearing an oath at the same time he's uttering comfort.

Mitsuko grips Giyuu's hand. The sight of Giyuu saying these, the slightest tremble of his shoulders, the quivering of his lips.

"I'm sorry."

"Nii-san."

"I'm really sorry."

It's out there. The guilt. The haunting cold of the snow on that winter day. The terrified screams.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you."

"Nii-san, it's not your fault."

"If only -"

"Nii-san!"

Mitsuko's grip on Giyuu's hand is tighter. "It's not your fault. There's nothing that we can do back then. We have that Muzan to dedicate our revenge."

She feels her voice breaking. "We have to live. For Mother, for father. For Nee-san."

"I'm not leaving you too."

Mitsuko smiles, "So, that's why, we have to do everything we can for humanity and for ourselves too."

"Giyuu-nii-san, I love you, so don't die."

And, a sharp pain on her forehead. Mitsuko groans.

"Love you too. Don't die."

~~~~~

Thank you for reading~! It really means a lot to me and for the people who asked for an update. Omg, I didn't know I'll get you, reader, invested in this.

Updates will come VERY SLOW as I am a struggling student right now and I am currently cursing the world on whoever created the concept research.

See you all in the next chapter! Muah~