Chapter Seven

Beginne am Anfang

Jack then turned to me again after not getting a response from Randall. My eyes widened once I realized what thought popped into his head. "No, no way in hell. I'm already breaking a rule being here. I don't know if I can break another," I shook my head. "Yet, you're still here. Am I right, or am I wrong?" Jack responded. He sat on the coffee table in front of me. 

He set a hand on my knee and finished his convincing argument. "That's saying that you don't care about the rules. That tells me that you'll do anything to help your friends," Jack said. He patted my knee and stood up from the coffee table. It was then Hamish's turn to hear Jack's talk. "I'm not saying that I can change your mind, Hamish. But, no one can save those people, but we can stop Edward Coventry for good," Jack finished. 

Hamish glanced at me and changed his gaze to Jack. He breathed in heavily, letting out a sharp exhale. "You see a chance to stop this spell. You take it," he said. "I promise I will," Jack nodded. "Then go," Hamish waved a hand to the front door. Jack didn't waste a second. He picked up his backpack, tossing it over his shoulder, leaving the Knights lair. 

There was a thick tension in the air as soon as Jack left the house. Lilith looked between the three of us. Her brows knitted together. She groaned in frustration and walked right past me. Her shoulder roughly hit mine. I heard her loud footsteps reach her room. The door thundered as she slammed it. "Lilith!" I called, walking towards the stairs. "Don't bother. She'll cool off," Randall said. 

He still sat on the couch, leaning back with his arms at his side. I looked back at him and then to the long staircase. "I should at least-" I began. "Y/N/N, she's fine," Hamish interrupted. He lifted his hand that had a glass, directing me to the couch. 

~~~~

(Later)

The Temple was filled with the members of The Order. I felt my breath against my face as I wore the white mask. My black cloak draped over me, trapping in the warm air around me. Renee laid in the middle of the circle with her arms hanging from her side. The sacrifices had their own tables with silver chains extending from the ceiling. Each silver-linked chain hovered over the men and women, slightly swaying from side to side. 

Some members walked over to the sacrifices, repeating parts of the incantation. Two people laid a necklace with a large emblem over Renne's face. The group changed an incantation in Latin. I watched them stand behind each sacrifice with their hands on either side of their bodies. Before I could prepare myself, a red substance released from Renee's mouth and attached itself to the chain above her head. 

The piercing red liquid wrapped around the chain and dropped into each sacrifice's mouth. The innocent people squirmed around from the substance. I shivered from the screams echoing off of the Temple's walls. My mother noticed my uneasiness. She reached for my hand and squeezed it in reassurance. I knew what they were doing was wrong. 

The Order were taking lives away for just someone's will to live. This woman was powerful; I guess smoking had affected her will to live. At this point, I realized that I didn't want anything to do with The Order. I had to keep lying to my mother, even though I probably would soon get a taste of my own secrets. 

~~~~

(The Next Day)

Last night, I hadn't slept at all. It was probably the most restless night I have ever had. It hadn't occurred to me how much this Order shit would affect me. Luckily, it was almost the weekend. My back ached when I sat up from my bed. I rubbed my eyes to try and wipe away the groggy feeling. It was a shocking sight to see Randall sitting on my black futon, a grey pillow resting on his lap. 

He played with the fringe on the pillow's corners. "Didn't Jack say that breaking and entering was a no-no?" I yawned. He shook his head and leaned back with his hands propping his head up. I let out another yawn, closing my eyes. "How did you even get in here?" I asked. "An RA never reveals his secrets," Randal pointed a finger at me. I stared at him, confused, and swung my legs over the bed. I grabbed a sweatshirt from my closet and slipped it over my head.