Reunited part 2

A/n: HNNNN PART 1 WAS AGES AGO I FORGOT TO FINISH THIS BUT HERE IT IS NOW.

He was nervous. Finally reconnecting with his lost mother at 23 with a wife and child. He funded the tip to Japan for her, being the worlds greatest detective he had money to burn. So there he stood by the baggage claim of the international airport waiting. He didn't tell his mother about you and your daughter, thinking it'd be a surprise for his mum.

He nervously tapped his feet, holing his daughter in his arms as she looked over at the hello kitty toys in one of ten airport shops. She was definitely going to ask for it on the way out. You stood beside them, L's free hand gripping to yours tightly in anticipation.

"Stop stressing honey, it'll be fine" you said.

"It's been over a decade, almost two I have barely any memories of her. What if she doesn't like what I became?"  L replied.

"You're a married father with a high paying job that helps others, that's perfection right there. You'll be ok"

(D/n) held the photo of L as a baby and his mother that was sent to him in her hands. She looked up to see the same woman in the picture walking down the stairs from the arrivals terminal.

"Daddy!" She said.

"Yeah?"

She pointed up to her, both you and L turning to look. You could already tell L was taller than his own mother, but they were definitely related. The same hair, skin tone, slim build. Basically gender swapped versions of each other. She got to the bottom of the stairs and looked down at the plane ticket for the flight number so she'd know what baggage claim to go to. And when she looked up, she stopped in her tracks laying her eyes on her lost son. Now an adult.

A look of proud shock on her face, seeing he was with a girl and a child. His girl and his child. Slowly approaching in disbelief, she stopped before you, L giving a weak smile not knowing what to say.

"You're a dad..?" She said.

"Yeah" L nodded.

"My little boy is a dad..."

You reached over to take your daughter from his arms so they could hug, the both of them immediately doing so with teary eyes.

"Hi mum..." L managed to get out.

"Oh my god you've gotten so tall... taller than your own mother. The last time I saw you I could hold you in one arm..." she replied.

They stayed in that embrace for what seemed like eternity. And neither you or (d/n) objected. Even a four year old knew how big of a deal finding your lost son after enduring years of abuse was.

"You're not mad at me for leaving you... are you?" His number asked.

"No, I know why you did. I was just... confused as a kid" L replied.

"I hope I didn't cause you any pain..."

"I honestly don't remember anything before the age of 5 it's all repressed and comes back in vague pictures or sounds"

The hug broke, his mum putting both her hands on L's cheeks doing the mother cheek pinch.

"Look at you! Twice my height, I have no idea where that came from. And I'm afraid you've inherited my ability to get eyebags very easy. Even as a kid you had them" she said.

"Yeah they're kind of a signature at this point"

Her gaze turned to you and your daughter, a smile growing on her mouth.

"And why didn't you tell me you were married and had a kid?" She joked.

"Surprise" L simply stated.

"Well don't just stand there tell me all about them!"

L turned to you, gesturing to the both of you.

"That's (y/n), we met as teenagers and got married the second we were legally allowed to" L began.

You shook hands with his mum, the resemblance being even more uncanny up close.

"Nice to meet you dear. I'm glad he's found someone as gorgeous as you"

"Aw thank you. He is a bit of a baby sometimes but he's cute so he gets a pass" you joked.

"Isn't he just! Must have gotten that from me" she joked back.

You and L snickered at the comment, she was pretty so she wasn't exactly wrong. It seems the insomniac charm look runs in the Lawliet family. L reached for his daughter again, holding her close and safely against him.

"And this (d/n). She's four and definitely inherited my sweet tooth" L said.

(D/n) shyly waved, a bit intimated knowing this woman was her grandmother she'd never met before.

"Oh she's such a sweetheart, she's got her mothers eyes, absolutely beautiful"

"Aren't they? I always tell (y/n) that (d/n) gets all her beauty from her but she never takes the compliment" L said.

"Oi! She got a lot of it from you too! Look at the hair, and the paleness! That's all your prettiness mister" you replied.

"Yeah, you're pretty too daddy. Mummy is as beautiful as a queen and you're as pretty as a king so I get to be a cute princess!" (D/n) added.

"See! Even your own daughter says so"

Laughing at the interaction, L's mum smiled brightly seeing her son all grown up with a happy, healthy family.

"Mummy, can I have a hello kitty?" (D/n) asked, pointing to the toys she'd been looking at.

"Yeah all right, you can never have too many stuffies" you replied.

Before you could pull out your wallet, L's mum jumped in.

"I'll pay, it's the least I can do after you guys paid for the flight. Plus, I'm a grandmother now and all grandmothers spoil their granddaughters, isn't that right?" She said.

"Yeah!" (D/n) giggled.

"So I'll tell you what, you can get a hello kitty AND a my melody"

"Yay! thank you grandma!"

You gave L a look that said was the equivalent of 'awww'. He shot one back at you hearing his daughter call his mum grandma.

"By the way, a flight to japan isn't cheap. I know
You said you worked in law, but what field exactly?" His mum asked.

That 'awww' look turned to a 'shit-' look. How on earth will L explain this one.

"Well... let's get home first... we have a ton of catching up to do, mum"