Though the quantity of entertainers was less than what would be frequenting the city during the actual Harvest Festival itself, the informal street festival beforehand was not an inconsiderable event. Streets were transformed, with restaurants and cafes setting up tables and chairs on patios and, in some cases, right on the streets themselves, all so that diners might be able to eat a meal and not miss any sudden festival-inspired spectacle, should something of that nature spontaneously happen. It was all part of the last big 'hurrah' before winter came, and there were no lack of things to see and do - no shortage of ways you could part with your hard-earned gold, or grey, or copper.

Talia didn't seem interested in doing anything specific, which meant lots of walking, and taking in the sights, arm in arm. Which, of course, was fine by me.

"So," I said after a while, my voice dripping with nonchalance, "your birthday is in just over a month, is it not?"

"Well that certainly came out of nowhere," Talia said. Her eyes narrowed. "Are you ever going to tell me how you found that out? Hardly anyone knows the actual day."

"I've got to have some secrets," I said, flashing her a quick grin. Then I feigned a look of suspicion. "You haven't been snooping around that room I told you to stay out of, have you?"

"Of course not," Talia said, sounding as though she was bored by the question. "And yet you keep asking, which I can't help but think means you want me to become intensely interested by the contents of that particular room." She gave me a look. "Do you really think me the sort to sneak down the night before Yule and sniff around my gifts so I might know what I'm getting before I get it?"

"Why not?" I shrugged. "I've known people like that."

"Oh? Like who?"

"Like me."

"Really?" Talia looked surprised at first, then appeared to think about it. "Actually, I do suppose that's consistent. It does drive you a little crazy to learn there's something out there you don't know."

"Well, if I hadn't recently gone to incredible lengths to find out when your birthday was, I might be offended by that," I grinned. "But yes, I freely admit it. I was eleven. The presents had been wrapped, and mine were such an unusual shape that it drove me crazy. It just seemed like I needed to know what was under the wrapping, and waiting two whole days before knowing was just too much. And so, I snuck down one night, a couple of days before Yule, and I opened them."

"You didn't!" Talia gasped.

"Yup. I spent a whole day covertly oiling the nails in the wooden floorboards so they wouldn't creak when I went down the stairs. I even had one of those cheap lamp-stones filled with cave moss, so I wouldn't have to mess around with candles or lamp oil, or anything that might give off an odor. That, and a few other things. All told, I came up with quite an elaborate plan for how I was going to go about it all. Elaborate for an eleven-year old, at any rate."

"Elaborate plan?" she asked in mock surprise. "You?"

"Truly hard to believe, I know."

"And so, what did you find?"

"Honestly, I can't remember now." I furrowed my brow, looking up at the evening sky. "The only thing I actually do remember was the next day, feeling like it was going to be the worst, most miserable Yule ever."

"Because you knew what you'd be getting," she nodded. "There'd be no surprises."

"Yeah," I said. Then I gave a light laugh. "Or at least, that's what I thought at the time."

"Oh?"

"Well, as it turns out, my father wasn't completely inept, nor would he allow himself to be outwitted by a mere eleven-year old. Yule morning, I went downstairs into the sitting room, feeling lousy and pleading illness. I didn't even want to open my presents at first. Finally, once everyone else had opened a couple, one of mine got handed to me. I opened it . . ."