After I moved her into my room, Vaughn and I immediately did a quick sweep around the building. Vaughn scanned around with one of our gear; a Thermal Imaging Camera to capture any strange temperature drop while I inspected the area for any ominous aura, but I knew we wouldn't get anything. The dark, negative energy subsided when we returned back to the apartment.

"Okay dude, explain to me now what the fuck just happened?" Vaughn asked once we were seated in my study, each with a beer in hand.

I absent-mindedly drummed my finger on the arm of the swivel chair, deep in thought. "Whatever presence was here, I'm sure it was the same one that Alex and I encountered earlier; it had the same energy flow and level of power on it. But like I said, something about its characteristic seemed-off." I shook off my uneasiness. "They were looking for her specifically, like some fucking search party of demons." I didn't say anything more because I too, was mystified by this predicament.

Vaughn-who sat on the couch-stroked his chin with his thumb and forefinger. "It's probably that they're just attracted to whatever energy Alex possesses. As you said so yourself; there's more to her than meets the eye. But it is rather peculiar, though."

After half an hour of speculating, Vaughn retired for the night and crashed in on one of the couches at the living area. I was left to review the videos of his investigation on the old house. Since there were four videos and several Electronic Voice Phenomena recorders to study, it would probably take me 'til morning to go through all of them, which was fine by me. I was too wide awake and alert to even bother with sleep.

As I numbly watched hour's worth of still videos and listened to an endless white noise from the recorders I synced. With no such luck on activity or sound whatsoever, my mind wandered to Alexandra. Why were these demons after her and how was her past linked to my dad's and indirectly, to me as well. I need to help her; I'm all she has left to save her. These were the exact cryptic words he imparted to me. Save her from whom? But he never had answered that question, at least not directly. The past is never dead, son.

I brooded for the next couple of hours and before I knew it, the sunlight slowly spread throughout the apartment. It extinguished the dark shadows in declaration of a brand new day. When there's darkness, there's light. And the light, my son, will always prevail.

After a couple of beers, I shifted to consume some caffeine instead, so I made the first fresh pot of the morning. While I waited for it to brew, I took out a box of muffins Vaughn bought the day before, and heated it in the microwave.

Ten minutes later, I was back to work on my laptop with a steamy cup of strong coffee and half a muffin devoured. While almost an hour onto the video, I sensed Alex's cautious and timid presence nearby, her eyes on me. I mentally noted to give her a minute or two before I greet her good morning.

* * * * * *

I tiptoed out and shut the bedroom door noiselessly behind me. I paused and looked around; Vaughn was fast asleep on one of the couches, and snored too loud for comfort. Gideon was nowhere in sight. An opened door by the kitchen caught my attention. I walked closer and peeked in.

Gideon was at a desk; he had on a headset while he watched something on his wide computer screen, which I assumed were the videos of Vaughn's investigation last night. There were several equipments on the built-in desk; two hand held cameras and two larger ones. There were also several similar items which looked like small recorders of some sort. The rest I wasn't familiar with, some very high-end ghost hunting gear no doubt.

As I stood there on the threshold I studied Gideon. His demeanor was noticeably more relaxed and laid back this morning compared to his cold and stiff behavior from the night before. He leaned back on his chair; arms crossed while a hand stroked his lightly stubbled chin. His brows were furrowed as he reviewed the video intently. His long mile legs were stretched and crossed at the ankles at the corner of the desk.

Unleashing Demons | D.D. Bk. 1 | ✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें