Chapter 3: The Double Power Strike

Почніть із самого початку

Badgerclops and Mao Mao cheered as the monster stumbled to Mao Mao's left, crashing into a building before fleeing from the Valley.

"THAT WAS AWESOME!!!" Adorabat screamed from where she and Tanya stood.

"Of course it was!" Mao Mao boasted, bowing to the Cutiepies who where gathering and clapping for their saviors. The sheriff was so preoccupied with the praise that he didn't realize the building the monster had slammed into was starting to fall down.

"Mao Mao behind you!" Tanya called out. Mao Mao turned and saw the building about to crush him, he didn't have time to get out of the way.

"This is how I'm going to die." The thought flashed into Mao Mao's head as something large crashed into Mao Mao, pushing him out of the way.

The building crashed down where the cat once stood, dust and debris flying everywhere. Mao Mao was now on his back, whoever had pushed the sheriff out of the way was holding themselves over him. Mao Mao blinked a few times to get the dust out of his eyes before looking up at his savior.

Badgerclops was looking down at him, breathing heavily like he'd just ran a marathon. The badger's uncovered eye was overflowing with worry as he gazed at the cat he'd just saved.

"You okay, Mao?" Badgerclops didn't move away, he wanted to make sure his friend was okay.

"Uh...yeah..." Mao Mao couldn't believe that the usually lazy badger somehow managed to get to Mao Mao fast enough and push him out of the way of the building. And what was with the look in his eye?

"Good." Badgerclops let out a few more pants, "I don't what I would have done if I hadn't made it in time. I'm glad you're okay." Mao Mao felt his cheeks flare up at Badgerclops's words. Seeing how much the deputy cared left Mao Mao speechless.

"Hey love birds, get a room!" Pinky called horsly from the crowd of Cutiepies that had gathered to see if Mao Mao was dead. Badgerclops stood up abruptly and offered a hand to help Mao Mao to his feet.

"Pinky-" Mao Mao was about to go off before he was knocked off his feet by a little blue missile. On the ground, Mao Mao looked down to see that the blue missile was actually a sobbing Adorabat, clinging to his midsection.

"MaoMaoIthoughtthebuildingcrushedyouandBadgerclopsandIthoughtIwas
allaloneandIwassoscared!" Adorabat's babbling continued until Mao Mao picked her up and held her to his chest, her head on his shoulder. The sheriff stroked the back of his deputy's head, trying her best to sooth her.

"Adorabat, it's okay. We're fine. It's alright." Mao Mao couldn't stand seeing Adorabat cry. Badgerclops sat down next to them and pulled them into a group hug. Adorabat shifted herself so she could hug both of them.

"IlostmymomandIthoughtIlost
youtooandIcouldn'tstandit!" Badgerclops and Mao Mao sat there and comforted Adorabat until she was able to stop crying. Being left drained, Adorabat soon fell asleep.

"Poor kid." Tanya said, appearing out of nowhere.

"Let's get her home." Mao Mao got up, Badgerclops right behind him.

"Let me take her in my arotruck." Tanya offered as they got to their vehicles.

"Yeah, that's probably a better idea." Mao Mao handed her over to Tanya, who got into her truck and put the little bat in her lap.

"Meet you guys at the base." Tanya winked at the two before starting up her arotruck and driving off towards the base, leaving Mao Mao and Badgerclops in yet another awkward silence.

"Are we going to the arocycle or..." Badgerclops trailed off when Mao Mao turned to face him with the most conflicted expression on his face.

"Thank you." The cat's voice was so soft that Badgerclops's wasn't sure if he heard him properly.

"What?" The badger couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Thank you for saving me." Badgerclops could see the discomfort in Mao Mao's face. It wasn't often that Mao Mao thanked anyone for anything.

"You don't have to thank me. I'd always save you." Mao Mao's cheeks turned pink at Badgerclops's words.

"I'm sorry for what I said earlier, about our nap not meaning anything." Badgerclops felt his eyes widening. It was evening rarer that Mao Mao apologized.

"But we're not together?"

"You were trying to help me sleep. That means something. Thank you for that too." A few more moments of silence passed between them.

"Hey Mao Mao?" Badgerclops started nervously twiddling his thumbs.

"Yeah?" Mao Mao glanced back up at his friend.

"When we get home, wanna bake some cobbler?" Badgerclops smiled as Mao Mao's eyes lit up.

"Y-yeah!" Mao Mao straightened up with a smile on his face. His blush increased a bit, "I'd like that."

"Great!" Badgerclops's cheeks were now rosy.

"We should probably get going." Mao Mao stated when neither of them had moved.

"Yeah." Badgerclops agreed as they both moved to the arocycle. Both reached for the keys, their hands brushing against the others for a long moment before they pulled away.

"Do you want to drive?" Mao Mao asked, scratching the side of his head.

"You sure?" Badgerclops was surprised, Mao Mao always drove.

"Yeah. It won't kill me to let you drive for once." Mao Mao put on his helmet and got on the back of the arocycle.

"Um...okay!" Badgerclops put on his own helmet and got on the front of the arocycle. He stopped when he felt arms wrap around his waist. Badgerclops chuckled.

"Shut up." Mao Mao's tone was defensive, "I'm smaller than you and easier to get blown away by wind. I don't want to fall off."

"Whatever you say~" Badgerclops teased, starting up the arocycle and driving to the base. He actually kind of liked having Mao Mao hold on to him. Maybe he could convince the cat to let him drive more often.

Badgerclops thought back to when Tanya called him Mao Mao's boyfriend. They may not be together like that, but Badgerclops couldn't deny, especially after today, that he had feelings for the cat. Maybe Mao Mao had feelings for him two.