Short story

After decades of preparation, the human race at last managed to land on Europa. Many rejoiced at their success. Especially, Eva. Because she was among the first mission specialists assigned to set foot on Jupiter’s unexplored moon.

     The engineers took them a month to build the base and arrange the special accommodations to host the crew on the frozen moon. When everything was in order, Eva and her team flew to what would become their home for the next six months.

     She’d been so excited two months ago. The dream of researching a new moon had turned into reality. Now, though, frustration and disappointment replaced her happiness. Because after two months, Europa still retained all its mysteries.

     “This is crazy,” she grumbled under her breath. She walked to the window, glanced outside. Icy desolation greeted her. At first, the cold barren land had overwhelmed her senses. But as the days passed, she became used to it.

     Her gaze wandered in the distance. Deep, wide canyons broke across the surface in an asymmetrical pattern. They were testimony that once Europa had oceans. Or so Eva and the others thought. They couldn’t be certain, though, since all their electrical equipment died when they tried to take samples to analyze.

     Eva groaned, irritated, and turned away from the scene in front of her. No use to brood. Better to seek out Jenny and see if the others had any success today.

     She grabbed her jacket and headed towards the main office. Jenny stood by the coffee machine, her favorite cup in her hand.

     “Hey, Jenny girl. Anything new?”

     Jenny shook her head.

     “Damn. Why doesn’t anything work around here?” Eva whined.

     “Not everything,” her friend reminded her. “The basic equipment works fine.” She patted the coffee machine.

     And that added another oddity they couldn’t understand. The basic everyday machinery worked to perfection. In comparison, the researching equipment broke down when they tried to use it.

     “We can’t continue like this.”

     “Eva, we’ve attempted everything. Even pens stopped writing when they tried to take down notes.”

     “But we haven’t tested pencils,” Eva mused.

     Jenny frowned. “I don’t like that look on your face. What are you thinking?”

     “I want to explore the south eastern cave. Mike said it was too dark to see anything without light. I brought some candles with me. Maybe those won’t die out.”

     Her friend gave her a skeptical look. “Candles, really? Why did you bring them up here?”

     Eva shrugged. “It’s good to be prepared for anything,” she murmured embarrassed. “Anyway, I want to try my idea.”

     Jenny stared at her and then walked to her desk. “Here, take this.” She tossed her a communication pin.

     Eva snatched it and secured it to her shirt. “Thanks, girl. Wish me luck.”

     “Yeah, you’ll need it. Candles of all things. And Eva,” Jenny said as Eva turned away, “be careful.”

     “I will.”

     Back in her quarters, she filled a small backpack with everything she needed and went to the garage. There, she put on the protective gear, grabbed her snow rover and drove to the newest find.