Tournament One: Before the fights

"This is it... the Championship Series... the first step on the way to tournament greatness. I just need to win this. No problem."

Seventeen people. In varying shapes and sizes, that's how many slip into the stadium through the side. Some are normal people. Others are more animalistic. A floating mech suit, a pair of mountain climbers, even a bipedal feline. These are only a few of the fighters who are hoping to make a name for themselves in this tournament. But they all know one thing: only one of them will be successful. Their one goal: to be the grand champion. The seventeen take about half an hour to warm up, doing various exercises to prepare for their upcoming bouts. About ten minutes before the first match, they all go around and wish each other good luck... with a singular exception. The pitch-black suit blows off all offers of friendliness, threatening anyone who tries to persist with the blaster on their right arm.

With a chime from the speakers, they all look at the bracket, scanning the room for their foes. The matchups?

Fighter 12 vs Fighter 03
A large red-and-black cat locks eyes with a small bumblebee-colored rodent.

Fighter 02 vs Fighter 15
A pair of hooded, hammer-wielding fighters look up in fear at the large dragon towering beside them.

Fighter 05 vs Fighter 11
A large crocodile with an armored stomach glares around, not seeing his opponent. Unknown to him, a pair of eyes are observing him from within a cardboard box.

Fighter 10 vs Fighter 06
A wolf bearing an eye patch over his left eye and a leather jacket glares around, looking surprised when a small dog, almost a pup still, offers her paw with a bright smile.

Fighter 16 vs Fighter 01
Two men look at each other, one of them with curiosity, while the other's gaze holds a reverent awe.

Fighter 13 vs Fighter 04
A young, green-clad boy looks at an orange-clad princess, frowning at the thought of doing combat with one so fair.

Fighter 09 vs Fighter 07
The floating mech suit doesn't acknowledge the red-clad martial artist's greeting, instead simply leaving the room.

Fighter 08 vs Fighter 14
The blue-haired swordsman meets the eye of the young girl, who cocks what seems to be a child's water blaster. The girl gives a smile and a gurgling greeting, the meaning totally lost on everyone else but themselves.

Meanwhile, three people wait in the rafters, each with their own motives. A red-haired man, an grandfatherly fellow and a large frog-like being all observe, each unaware of the others. Their reason for being here? Unknown. Their association with the tournament? Well... you'll find out.