Chapter Eight

I took a moment after I parked outside the Chinese restaurant to check my throat in the mirror. Blotchy purple bruises were already spreading across the front of my neck. Breathing hurt, and the frequent coughing was worse. The rain had washed the sweat off my face, but it couldn’t stop the heavy, slithering feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Shake it off, Escobar. It’s over, you’re alive. Deal with it.

I scowled at the mirror, threw open the car door, and stomped through the rain to the restaurant. Luis’s car was parked askew on the footpath outside. I shouldered through the restaurant doors and beheld the argument going on inside. Luis’ and Chiaki’s backs blocked Priya from my view, but it wasn’t hard to hear her chewing them out. The restaurant had become considerably emptier of patrons since I’d left. The two waitresses were huddled together in the corner, like if they didn’t move no one would notice them there.

“You can’t keep me here,” Priya was saying. “And I don’t care what your boss said. Tell me what’s going on, or get the fuck out of my way.”

“Language, Miss Dasari,” I said as I crossed the room.

Luis and Chiaki both turned to me, looks of relief plain on their faces. Priya took the opportunity to slip between them and head for the door.

I grabbed her arm as she tried to rush past me. “I don’t think so. We need to talk.”

She gave a roar of frustration. I ignored her struggling in my grip as I turned to my investigators. “Good work. Head back to the office. I want that report on the war as soon as you can get it to me. And I want you looking at Volkov’s role as well. And anything you can find me on the handlers.” I paused. “Well, what are you waiting for?”

“Your neck,” Chiaki said. “What happened to you?”

I waved my hand. “Get to work.” I turned my back on them and dragged Priya out to the car.

The handler struggled as I shoved her into the passenger seat.

“Do I have to get my cuffs out again?” I asked.

She sneered but grew still. “What right do you have to keep me—”

I slammed the door in her face and went around to the driver’s side. She was still shouting as I got in and buckled my seatbelt. I turned to her and snarled.

“Sweetheart, shut the fuck up. We’re taking a drive to my office. On the way, we’re going to have a talk. And you’re going to tell me everything you’ve been keeping from me.”

“What are you talking about?”

I started the engine and skidded away from the curb. “You see this?” I jabbed at my neck. “Some rhino just tried to punch my ticket. All because I interrupted him and his pals beating the shit out of your mother.”

She stared. “My…my mother?” Her eyes widened. A hand shot out and snatched hold of my coat. “What happened to my mother?”

I tore her fingers from my coat and threw her hand back at her. “A bunch of thugs just hit your mother’s house. Now, either you’re the unluckiest woman in the world, or they were trying to get to you. Why would they do that?”

Priya stared straight ahead for a moment. Then her gaze snapped back to me. “Oliver. Is my son all right?”

“They’re fine. He hid and called for help. Your mother’s hurt but she’ll be fine.” I didn’t know that for sure, but I didn’t want her getting distracted. “They’re both at the hospital.”

“I have to go to them.”

“Not now. We’re talking.”

“I have to see my family! What if someone comes for them again?” The anger left her voice. I glanced over to see her giving me puppy-dog eyes. “Please, Mr Escobar. Let me go to them.”