"Maggie, you're drooling," a voice hisses in her ear and Marguerite sits up straighter, wiping at her face to make sure that she is not, in fact, actually drooling all over the Hufflepuff table in the great hall.

      She shoots a glare over her shoulder at Susan Bones one of her fellow Hufflepuffs who is stifling a laugh behind her hand to keep from interrupting the welcome back speech that their headmaster is giving. If it were anyone else, Marguerite would be offended, but it's just Suze, who enjoys taking the piss out of anyone she can without doing any real harm.

     "But can you blame her?" Hannah Abbott, another Hufflepuff from Marguerite's year, sighs and rests her chin on her hand. "I mean, just look at them. Hubba hubba."

     The them in question is Micah Vance and Cedric Diggory. Despite the fact that Cedric is two grades above the rest of them, he and Micah have been the best of friends for as long as anyone can remember, creating one of the most iconic duos in Hogwarts history. And it's not just because they're both good-looking even though they are but they're also nice too and how rare is that? Cedric always has a smile for anyone who needs it. He stops to give directions to first years who are lost in the halls. And Micah is always willing to help people with their homework or to run down to the kitchens for a late-night snack if anyone says they're hungry. So yeah, basically real-life Disney princes.

     Marguerite returns her focus to the headmaster, who is still droning on about the start of term announcements. She's nearly half-asleep when he actually says something of interest though it isn't necessarily a good thing, because it nearly incites a riot from the school jock population.

      "It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year," Professor Dumbledore discloses. Marguerite isn't a quidditch player, but even she is sad to hear it. She prefers Muggle sports more, but Quidditch is fun it reminds her of her dad and she likes the rivalry part of it, too. ( At least, until people start getting mean; then it's no fun at all. ) "This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts "

Before he can finish that announcement, thunder crashes from the storm raging outside and the doors of the great hall fly open with a bang. Marguerite jumps at the loud noise, watching as a lone, cloaked figure limps into the room and makes his way up to the teachers' table. When he finally reaches the front and pauses to shake hands with their headmaster, Marguerite gets her first real look at the stranger and bites back a gasp. His face is scarred and disfigured, but it's his eyes that are truly unsettling one dark and beady and the other electric blue, bulging from its socket as it swivels around the room to scrutinize the students seated around the hall. When it passes over her, Marguerite resists the urge to shudder; feeling very much like a hobbit beneath the gaze of the Eye of Sauron. ( Nerdy, she knows, but she just finished reading Tolkien's masterpiece and wow. That man ran so other high-fantasy writers could trip and fall. )

As the stranger takes his seat, Professor Dumbledore resumes his speech. "May I introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?" He asks brightly. "Professor Moody."

A few people make sounds of recognition, but otherwise the hall remains deadly quiet save only for the sound of the Headmaster and Professor Hagrid applauding. Marguerite thinks she might remember the name Moody from somewhere, but she can't be sure. It feels like it's something she should know, though. Maybe something to do with ...