He looked so confused. So... empty.

"Snap out of it, Soldier," Pierce said, his tone turning dangerous. "You were given an order."

But Bucky didn't move, didn't speak. His lips moved silently, though, murmuring words that Sam couldn't hear. Pierce leaned forward.

"What was that?"

Blue eyes suddenly snapped up.

Toward her.

"S... Smalls."

The room went collectively still. Sam stood straighter and the grips on her arms loosened a little, every eye snapping to where she stood. Pierce slowly turned around.

The look in his eyes was deadly.

"What?"

But Sam could only stare at Bucky. His lips moved again, spelling out silent words. His metal fist clenched and unclenched.

"What," Pierce growled again. "Does that mean?"

She swallowed hard.

"It's a lie," Bucky said softly. Pierce snapped back around and he shook his head, looking painfully confused. "Enemies... I understand. But not... not..." He looked up at her again. "Smalls."

"B... Bucky?"

"Shut her up," Pierce growled. Bucky's blue eyes snapped toward the man and narrowed slightly. Pierce pulled a stool in front of him and sat, gazing into Bucky's face.

"What are you, soldier?"

He was quiet. Pierce leaned closer.

"What. Are. You?"

"N-nothing."

It was that grey monotone. But the moment the words left Bucky's tongue, his brows knotted and he looked confused.

Pierce nodded. "Say it again."

"N-no one." Bucky still looked confused." Asset. Soldier. No..."

He cut off and looked back at her. Pierce growled in frustration.

"Eyes right here, Soldier."

But Bucky didn't comply. Sam's heart twisted painfully in her chest and she felt herself falling into his eyes, unable to look away. She smiled softly. "Barnes."

"Shut her up!"

Rumlow moved over and yanked her away from her two guards, dragging her across the room. He snapped a pair of cuffs around her wrists and attached it to a bar on the wall, looking at her muderously. "Clamp it, Clarence."

She growled and yanked. The cuffs jangled.

Bucky had gone rigid. He was still staring and Pierce shifted again, back toward them. "I said eyes right here, Soldier."

No response.

The back of Pierce's hand cracked across Bucky's face. Sam shouted out and his head whipped sideways, gaze finally snapping over. But his teeth were bared, hair over his eyes, expression wild and feral.

The nearest guards stepped back. Even Pierce froze for a second.

"Calm down, Soldier. You hear me?"

Bucky's arm whirred a little as he pulled against the metal restraints holding him down to the chair. Pierce stood and stepped back, looking from him, to her, and back.

"Someone calm him down."

"Hey," Rumlow stepped forward. Bucky gazed at him furiously, fighting against his restraints more noticeably now. His eyes snapped around the room, over them all. Panicked, confused, angry. "Take a deep breath, big guy."