Chapter 3

Scarlett

Crouched in front of me was dad in his human form. He smiled softly, wrapping me into a bear hug as I sobbed on his shoulder.

"Sourpatch, I am so sorry I didn't realise how loud I was." I could feel his chest vibrating as my head was rested on it. He meant it - the first time he realised I was scared of loud noises he decided to take me to the cinema every bonfire night. It was really thoughtful of him really.

By the time I'd calmed down a bit and finished my toast, it was time to get ready for school. Dad didn't exactly care if I was late but I didn't like it. He hated the entire school but apparently sent me there because he made an "arrangement he couldn't back out of". Wasn't it his job to put people into those situations? Not that I agreed with it but he always acted... off when I brought it up. He never even dropped me off he just ordered a random soul to do it, or someone who worked for him if he was in a rush.

After I had grabbed my bag and coat and hugged dad goodbye I left the house. Sure enough, Akio was there in his car with a bored expression on his face. He hated me more than words could express, but was dad's right hand man so here he was.

"Hey kid, get in the back I need to be quick okay?" He didn't expect or need and answer. He didn't care either. He switched on the engine, narrowing his eyes as I scrambled into the back, hatred radiating off him like the fires of hell that the car was zooming past.

                                                                                          888

After what felt like an hour but must have been ten minutes at the most, he pulled up outside the school. "Get out of my car," he snapped. He was late. Carefully, I thanked him before darting towards the school - I was late too. 

The corridors were almost empty except for a few people making out by the lockers. Eww. As I snuck into registration I breathed a sigh of relief - Ms Tobain was facing the board, spouting some junk about graffiti in the boys toilets. When she turned around she looked at me, frowning.

"Scarlett were you here the whole time?" I nodded earnestly as she shook her head and continued, "Anyway, we have a new student here today and she appears to be running late." The entire class excluding me snickered just as a girl with bright magenta hair in a plait burst into the classroom.

"Sorry I'm late!"

"Ah she's finally here. Everyone this is Adelaide. Adelaide, go sit next to Scarlett." As this came out the entire class fell silent. Tia stuck up her hand.

"Miss, can she sit next to me as Freya's ill?" Sighing, the teacher nodded. Bright red in the face, Adelaide slid into the seat next to Tia.

"Okay everybody, register time so be quiet - Adrian that means you - and we're running late so shush."