Chicago In The Rearview.

Beginne am Anfang

"I DID NOT TRY TO FUCK HIM!" I shouted, with tears in my eyes.

"I just kissed him, and that's it. But like I said, it didn't take long to realize that I wasn't interested in him. My mind was elsewhere." I finished.

"And where is your mind now?" He asks.

"Here. With you. Focusing on getting you what you need, and getting us home safely." I replied.

"You have been the only thing on my mind since the last time I saw you. Every day I wanted to call and apologize, but I thought because you left, you didn't want me, so I didn't see the point." He sighed.

"I felt the same way. Because we lied to each other, we spent all this time apart. It's nobody's fault but our own." I replied.

"I'm just glad we worked it out, and you're coming home." He said, squeezing my hand.

"Let's just hope we make it there with our sanity in tact." I chuckled.

"We are starting to get on each other's nerves a bit." Chester said.

"A bit? You accused me of sleeping with my ex, and you think that's just a little bit annoying?" I asked.

He laughed, "Okay. I crossed a line and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get worked up, my nerves are just shot." He rubbed his forehead.

"I know, mine aren't much better. I'm exhausted and your daughter is sitting on my bladder, but we're only twenty miles from Des Moines, so I gotta hold tight until we get there and stop." I said.

"Too shy to pee on the side of the road?" He laughs.

I joined in, "Not usually, but my balance is off and I'm not falling ass first into the ditch."

"I'll hold you up." He offered.
I smiled, "It's okay babe, I think I can wait until we stop, we're not that far away now." I said.

Ten minutes later, we pulled into Des Moines, and I went to the first gas station I saw to use the bathroom.
"I'm going to the bathroom, ask around while I'm gone. Someone around here has to know." I got out of the car and went inside to the bathroom.

When I got back to the car, he was laid back in the seat with his arm over his eyes, bouncing his leg.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
"Nobody knows where to find it." he groaned.
"Okay, well, this isn't the only shitty gas station in the city. We'll try the truck stop down the way, I hear that truckers do it." I started the car and headed down the highway.

I pulled into the truck stop, and parked.
"Okay, again, I'm going to get snacks this time, you do what you gotta do." I got out of the car and went inside, grabbing chips, candy, soda, and a couple of corndogs.
When I walked back out to the car with a slim-jim in my mouth, he was sitting in the seat, hunched over.
I turned and walked over to the gift shop, browsing through the cute little trinkets and things, buying an Iowa keychain, an Iowa Hawkeyes sweatshirt, and another keychain that said Bailee, for when she was older.
I was looking through a travel guide when Chester came in, "Hey, what are you doing?" he asked, putting his hand on my stomach.
"Killing time while you did what you needed to do." I answered, putting the book down.
"I'm better now, baby. Let's go." he kissed my cheek.
I put my arm around his waist, "I love you." I laid my head on his chest.
"I love you too, baby." he replied with a smile.

We got back on the road, he offered to drive while I propped my feet on the dashboard and reclined in the seat and listened to the radio.
"She likes this song, she's kicking like crazy." I giggled.
He put his hand on my stomach, feeling the baby kick.
He smiled, "That's my little girl, she's got good taste."
"I'm still nervous about this. Having a baby. I've always wanted kids, but I'm just worried that I'll be a terrible mother like my mom."
"Not a chance. You have maternal instincts already, and from what I've heard about your mother, it will be easy to be a better mother than she was." He said.
"I know that I'd never put her through what I went through. I really can't wait to meet her." I said.
"Me either. I know she's going to be beautiful like her mother." he kissed the back of my hand.