Katharine sighed, tapped her spoon on the edge of her cup, and set it down on the saucer. "You're not accustomed to all of this. At least not since Papa... Well, all of the talking and the noise and the heat and so, so many people beneath one roof. If you wish to return home, where you are more comfortable, I will not voice a single word of complaint."

Regan took another bite. Her stomach gurgled in anticipation. Perhaps Katharine had been correct in her assumption that a bit of something to break her fast would do her well. "But what of Mr. Winthrop?"

Katharine paused, her cup poised only an inch from her mouth. "Last night, after dinner, Mr. Winthrop expressed an interest in coming to visit us in Kent." She chanced a brief glance at her mother over the rim of her cup. "Only to see Papa's library, you understand. I told him about a few volumes we had, and that he would be welcome to come and study them if he ever found himself in the area. That is, if you would not mind."

Her daughter's cheeks had blushed full red during this recitation. Regan finished her piece of toast, hiding a small smile amid the act of chewing. "Of course he would be more than welcome." She said nothing about how she suspected that Mr. Winthrop's interest in visiting their home most likely had very little to do with Edmund's collection of history tomes and more to do with the young woman sitting across from her.

"But thank you for your concern," she added, referring back to the earlier part of their conversation. "I will admit, these last few days have been a touch... overwhelming." She cleared her throat and tried to stifle her own blush. Her thoughts leapt back to the previous evening, her back pressed against the library shelves, Mr. Cranmer's fingers skimming over the bare skin above her stockings... "We can stay, of course. I have a feeling I will be much better today, so please, don't worry about me."

Katharine smiled, relief evident in her expression. Regan noted the sacrifice her daughter had been willing to make, to give up her time with Mr. Winthrop in order that her mother might not be forced to endure an uncomfortable situation.

"Now," Regan said, and reached for a second piece of toast. "Let us finish our breakfast and begin our day, hmm?"

***

The day, as it turned out, was incredibly fine. So much so that Lady Polmerol suggested an impromptu picnic and strawberry picking on the lawn beyond a recently remodeled orangery near the eastern end of the grounds, on the opposite side from the lake.

Many of the guests opted to call their carriages round to be driven across the several acres towards the white stone and glass building, though a few - Regan and Katharine included - chose to don their most wide-brimmed bonnets, hoist the baskets onto their arms, and travel the distance on foot.

Regan was not surprised to see Mr. Winthrop join them on their walk, and she suspected that Katharine had invited him to accompany them the moment Lady Polmerol's scheme had been given voice. Mr. Cranmer also made the decision to walk, but he held Lady Polmerol's arm while the retriever, Iris, frisked at their heels and bounded forward before needing to be called back again.

She had not spoken to him since their encounter in the library the previous evening. Neither of them had made a move to approach the other, though she had run into him near the front entrance as everyone gathered to leave for the picnic. They had traded nods, quiet and polite, and Regan had managed to keep a rise of color from invading her cheeks as his eyes sparked cool fire at her before he turned away again to speak to his cousin.

It was not something she could avoid forever. She would have to speak to him, sit next to him at dinner, perhaps even dance with him at the ball Lady Polmerol hinted at holding during the last week of the house party. And she doubted that what had happened between them was a chance occurrence. Whatever power was at work, pulling them irrevocably towards one another... No, it was nowhere near at an end.