A Rivalry Begins

"Hey, you guys! Whatcha doing?" someone asked. The PokeGirls turned around to see Misty, smiling sweetly at them.

"O-Oh! Hey there, Misty!" May said, greeting her friend. "We were just talking about you!"

Misty looked confused. "You were?"

"Dummy!" Dawn hissed, as she elbowed May in the ribs, causing said girl to squeal in pain. "Sorry!" she whispered back. "I forgot!"

"Hi there, Misty!" Serena said, rather nervously. "I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Serena Yvonne, from Vaniville Town! It's really nice to meet you!"

Misty shook Serena's hand. "Nice to meet you too!"

The blonde was still extremely nervous. Dawn, who sensed it, piped up, "May, how about you, Misty and Bonnie go on first? Iris, Serena and I want to... um... look around!"

May and Bonnie looked surprised, but Misty simply replied, "Yeah, Dawn's right! We should go on first. We'll meet up with you guys later." And she dragged May and Bonnie away.

"Thank you, Dawn," Serena said, smiling at the bluenette. "If she'd been here for longer I would've gotten real nervous. I don't want to make an enemy out of Misty. She seems way too nice."

"Yeah, Misty does seem like a nice girl," Iris said.

Dawn remained quiet. Then she said, "Can I tell you two something?"

"What?" Iris and Serena asked.

Dawn took a deep breath. "Ash and I were best friends - well, I hope we still are. I... liked him." Seeing Serena's horrified expression, she quickly added, "I used to! But then he started talking about this girl called Misty, and the way he did, it just... it hit me that me and Ash weren't going to be anything other than besties. I thought Ash really liked Misty."

"So I don't have a chance of winning Ash's heart," Serena said sadly.

"But it's fine!" Dawn said, grabbing Serena's hands. "Girl, you can do this! I'm sure Ash will still like you. He seemed to, at least..."

"Yeah, Dawn's right," Iris said. "Besides, maybe Ash and Misty are just besties."

Meanwhile, with May, Bonnie and Misty...

"May, you said you were talking about me," Misty said to her friend. "What were you saying?"

"O-Oh... Umm... I was not saying anything mean! I mean... Serena does like Ash and all but..." May began muttering to herself. Oh May. She was usually quite ditzy and scatterbrained despite her sweet and kind personality.

"W-What?" Misty whispered.

Bonnie was horrified. "May, you idiot!" she hissed.

"S-Sorry! Umm, Misty, did you see-"

"Don't change the subject, May. I heard you. Serena likes Ash." Misty's expression hardened. In her heart, she was already beginning to feel jealous.

"No! No, that's not true!" Bonnie said desperately.

Misty patted Bonnie's blonde head. "Don't try to stick up for her, Bonnie. It's OK, you're not in trouble."

Oh, but May will be, Bonnie thought.

"Well... as for you, May... thanks for that information." With that, she walked off.

Misty felt disheartened. And she was beginning to like Serena, too! Now Serena liked Ash. And knowing that she would have a rival disappointed her. When she figured out that Ash was in Kalos, she immediately pestered May to come along with her, to see Ash... and admit her true feelings. But it looked like Serena would be in the way.

'I guess I have to ask her.' 

__________

"...and now Misty knows," Bonnie finished.

Iris went over to May and smacked her clean on the head. May shrieked in pain. "OW! Iris, that hurt!"

"May, that was the dumbest thing you could've done!" Iris scolded. 

"Now Misty and Serena are gonna be rivals!" Dawn groaned. "You're great, May, just great!"

Serena was just in the corner, scared for her life.

May looked hurt. "Guys, you don't need to blame me," she said. "It could have been worse! Heck, Ash could've found out!" This only made Serena even more frightened.

"How would Ash find out?" Bonnie said sensibly. "He's too dense."

"Yeah, you're right," Iris laughed. "It's fine, May. Everyone makes mistakes."

__________

"W-What do you wanna t-talk about Misty?" Serena asked nervously.

Misty cleared her throat. "I heard from May that you have a crush on Ash. Is this true?"

Serena was very scared, was Misty going to beat her up? But for some reason, her inner voice told her to just tell the truth. "...Yes."

Misty looked surprised. "Oh... well..." she looked a little disappointed. "The thing is, Serena... I... I like him too... for a long time. That's why I came to Kalos, really, to find him and tell him."

Serena was speechless.

Misty gained some more confidence. "You're nice, Serena, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to stay away from Ash, so I can tell him how I feel, without you in the way."

Suddenly, Serena felt like she had been electrocuted by Pikachu. Great. She had two choices; do as Misty said and avoid a rivalry, or keep closer to Ash and face Misty's wrath.

"I don't think so, Misty. I love Ash and I'll keep close to him. I... I don't care what you say!"

Did I just say that? Serena thought.

Misty looked shocked. She didn't expect this out of the supposedly timid Serena. But then she smiled a little. "I see. That's interesting to know." She leaned closer to Serena, and whispered in her ear. "From now on, Serena Yvonne, you and I are at war. Ash will be mine. No one will stop me."

Then she walked away without giving Serena a chance to speak.