Dinner

Adriens Point of View

"Alya?"

I couldn't believe my eyes. Standing in front of me was the last person I expected to see today.

"Adrien, it's been too long." It was easy to tell from her face that she was shocked as equally as me.

"Alya!" I heard my wife's voice ring out from behind me. I barely had time to blink before she threw herself into the arms of her old friend. "What have you been up to?" She said as soon as she pulled herself off.

"Adrien? Marinette? Woah, what a strange coincidence." I smiled at Nino, giving him a solid handshake since I wasn't as ready to be intimate with them as Marinette. "And Mylene and Ivan." He went off to say hi to them with his hand gripping Alya's.

"Wait, you guys know each other?" Hugo asked, and standing beside him was the spitting image of Alya, who I assumed was Jessica.

Marinette answered for me. "They were our old friends back in high school."

Hugo's mouth formed a small "o" shape before he grabbed Jessica's hand and pulled her off to his room to play.

Finally, all the adults in the room were able to have a conversation since all the greetings had been issued. "So, you guys got married. Congratulations!" Marinette said, observing Alya's ring which was sparkling in the light.

"Yes we did! We would have invited you, but..." Nino trailer off, looking almost guiltily at the floor.

"No, no, don't feel bad. It is kind of our fault we all drifted apart, after everything that had happened to us we didn't want more attention so we had to move away to get some peace." I nodded in agreement.

After a moment of awkward silence, I decided to speak up. "It's nice that you named your daughter after Jessica. She must have been so happy. I assume that she is very involved in your lives still?"

"You didn't hear?" Alya said, her voice low and almost sad.

"Hear what?"

Both Alya and Nino looked down sadly. A quick glance to Mylene and Ivan and they were looking confused too, they must not know what they were about to say.

Finally, Alya spoke. "Jessica died." I very quietly gasped and put my hand to my mouth in shock. She was dead? One of the most trustworthy and nice girls that I knew in high school died?

"Yeah, she moved to America and then we searched her up a little while ago and read that she was beaten to death by her father, and that she had a kid that died a little before her death that was the result of her father raping her. It made the front page." Nino said sadly.

It felt like a ton of bricks had crushed on top of me. I instinctively reached out to Marinette and pulled her close as I felt tears make their way to my eyes.

"We could have prevented it." Marinette chocked our while still curled into my embrace. I nodded and I know she felt it.

"What do you mean?" Alya said. She had a single tear rolling down her cheek and her voice clearly showed that she was very upset by the story.

"Hi, I'm sorry, am I interrupting something?" Jessica apparently had entered herself in the room.

I had to be strong for her. It wasn't good for her to see her parents breaking down. "No, what's up, Emma?" I used the back of my hand to wipe my eyes.

"I need your names." She said turning to Alya and Nino.

It looks like our conversation was going to be postponed.

I know I do this like every chapter, but I'm sorry for the wait. It's going to get even harder for me to update since school's about to start.

Love ya guys! 🦄

-E