1.

The flare (definition):

The process in which one reaches an enlightenment as to their assigned soulmate, and they are gifted with the visual introduction of colour.

Example: Did you know he had his flare the other day? I always knew they would be each other's soulmate when they first started dating.

.

"Dude come on we've gotta go or we are gonna be late!" Sean called from the front door of the house.

"Relax dude, joshs place is only five minutes from school we aren't going to be late." Julian replied, mouth stuffed with food as he threw his backpack over his shoulder before pulling the front door closed behind the two.

"It's the first day of senior year and you're really going to turn up with your hair looking like that?" Sean teased, Julian's head whipping up to see him hastily make his way towards the car before he could reach his hand out to slap the back of his head in retaliation.

"Oh that's cold." Julian said as he climbed into the passenger seat, finding Sean still chuckling away to himself.

"So you plan on asking Kaycee out this year or are we going to be waiting until we are all in retirement homes?" Julian said as they were approaching josh's house, shooting him a text to let him know they were about to pull up.

"Dude come on are we seriously still going on about this?" Sean cringed, fighting hard against the blush threatening to stain his cheeks.

"What are we bullying him about this time?" Josh said as he jumped into the backseat.

"How did you even-?" Sean started.

"I could see your look of mortal discomfort from the front door." Josh laughed and Sean groaned as they pulled away to finish the short drive to the school.

"Seriously you guys need to drop it, it's not like that, it wasn't like that, and it has never been like that." Sean said stubbornly.

"What do you mean?" Julian asked exasperated. "You two were together every time we hung out over summer and you seriously aren't going to ask her out?" He teased.

"I've told you guys, it's not happening, and in case you forgot, there was like 15 of us hanging out for most of this summer, you really think it means anything that I was just with her a lot?" Sean tried to play off nonchalantly.

"Yes!" The two replies, and Sean whipped his head around to josh.

"You weren't even here when this conversation started?" He let out.

"Didn't need to be, I know a flare when I see one." Josh smirked and Julian laughed loudly.

"Well I can promise you now, I haven't had it yet." Sean admitted, glad he finally wasn't lying to them about something this morning.

"Oh dude trust me I know, you really think we couldn't tell by the fact you've got on a navy shirt with black joggers and grey shoes." Julian teased as they pulled into the parking lot, and was met by Sean slamming on the breaks as he reached their spot, looking to Josh with wide eyes, before they both turned to him, and Julian realised what he said. "I'll see you guys at lunch." He let out quickly, before jumping out of the car and making a b line for the entrance.

"Holy shit." Sean breathed out.

"He got his flare." Josh finished the sentence, neither knowing what to do, before they were both thrown out of their shock by the bell ringing in the distance. They got out of the car in silence, walking towards the entrance they'd just seen their friend run through in a panic.