Nice to Meet You

It was the start of a new school year and Doyum couldn't be happier. He had been working on choreographing different dancing styles throughout the summer break and was pretty excited to audition for the school's dance team. With an added bonus of getting assigned a new homeroom without the three students that picked on him for most of last year, the silverette firmly believed in good beginnings.

Doyum usually walked to his classes with his best friends Taekhyeon and Junseo; at least part of the way before they separated to their respective floors. But Taek had to go to a pre-season meeting for the basketball team and left their dorm earlier than usual. But like the protective friend that he is (and won't admit it), Taekhyeon made doubly sure that Doyum knew where to go before he set out that morning.

As the silverette had a knack for spacing out every once in a while and ultimately ending up lost, Taekhyeon and Junseo usually made a point of walking with him to most places, even school. It probably didn't help that Doyum's softer facial features and smaller stature made him a little too easy to approach by random strangers; and with his heart on his sleeve along with an unreasonably trusting nature, his two friends have more than ample reason to worry about the silverette going off on his own. They had gotten decidedly more protective after finding out about the whole bullying situation last year, but that's besides the point.

As Doyum walked through the halls of the main building, he tried to keep an eye out for his friends but couldn't find them before having to veer off to his own floor. To make up for it, he just sent them both a text to let them know that he made it to his class and wished them a great first day on their group chat.

The classroom was almost filled by the time Doyum got there, but he spotted an empty table at the back corner. Each table could fit two students, and it would likely be their assigned partner for the remainder of the year.

He chose the seat closer to the aisle just in case he ended up without a seatmate. As he sat down, the silverette pouted a little bit at how his best friends were one year younger and older than him and couldn't be in the same class.

Doyum wasn't stand-offish to his classmates, quite the opposite really. He was fairly well-liked, despite being on the shier side. But he somehow couldn't find it in himself to get close to other students aside from Taek and Junseo. It wasn't really a problem as the silverette got used to being on his own for the most part.

But it would be nice to have a close friend here too, Doyum thought to himself.

Doyum felt his phone vibrate twice in his pocket while he waited for class to start. On their group chat, he saw that Taekhyeon sent a cheering sticker with the words Fighting! underneath it. While Junseo typed out 'Have a great day, Doyumie! Taekhyeonie! See you guys at lunch' with a bunch of heart emojis after it.

The silverette found himself smiling at his friends' messages, knowing full well they probably know how lonely he gets sometimes when they're not around. Doyum sent a heart react to both of their messages before he heard the chair beside him move.

The silverette looked up to meet the eyes of probably one of the most handsome faces he's seen.

Sorry Seo!! Oh he's tall too, life really isn't fair, Doyum mused as he took in the pink hair, sharp jawline and intense eyes directed at him.

The stranger also seemed to have been caught off guard as he froze midway through pulling the chair out from under the table. "Is this seat taken?" the student asked.

A little bit more flustered than he realized he was, Doyum stuttered a simple no before averting his eyes.

Great job, Doyum! Now he probably thinks you don't wanna talk to him. How're you gonna make new friends if you're like this? The silverette released a sigh as he internally berated himself.

Resigned to his involuntary social awkwardness to new people, Doyum focused on preparing his class materials for their first lesson. It was a few minutes after setting his things down that Doyum felt like he was being stared at.

With a cursory glance, he noted that everyone else in class was busy talking with their friends/seatmates. The silverette furrowed his brows in confusion, because it definitely felt like he was being watched. All out of options, Doyum chanced a glance at his absurdly handsome seatmate and—

Why is he staring?? Do I have something on my face? Do I look weird? Am I—

"I'm Jinsung," he introduced, hand extended, a grin on his face.

Doyum released a breath he didn't notice he was holding. Relieved that his new partner didn't just misconstrue his shyness as being rude, Doyum smiled before responding, "I'm Doyum, it's nice to meet you."

Doyum reached for the outstretched hand and felt a little giddy at the thought of making a new friend. The surprisingly firm handshake felt like it lasted just a heartbeat longer before they both released it, but Doyum didn't want to overthink it.

Jinsung, however, continued to stare at Doyum even after the greeting, his entire body angled towards the silverette. Meanwhile Doyum could feel himself starting to get worked up again, not accustomed to having someone's full attention on him. Should I say something or....

Jinsung tilted his head to the side as he studied his fidgeting seatmate. "You're very pretty," he commented.

It took a couple of seconds for what he said to register, and when it did, the smaller male felt his brain momentarily short circuit at the statement.

Boy if he wasn't flustered before, he sure was now.

Doyum felt his face warm, a charming blush bloomed on his cheeks as he tried to formulate a response. It seemed to be the effect that Jinsung was going for as he looked smug with Doyum's resulting speechlessness.

The silverette could feel the flush reaching the tips of his ears, still blindsided by the sudden compliment. One that he doesn't hear often as a guy. "I—Ah—Uhm, T-Thank you?" Doyum responded, still slightly unsure about how to answer.

Doyum felt his face heat up even more at the answering smirk Jinsung gave him before he turned back to the front of the room. Doyum didn't even realize when the instructor started introducing himself, still too busy trying to make sure his heart didn't just leap out of his chest and onto his desk.

Relax! He was probably just being nice! Goddammit Doyum get it together and stop blushing!!!!

As the silverette tried to get his increased heart rate back to normal, he snuck a peak at Jinsung. Still a bit misbelieving that he might've been hit on. His suspicions were confirmed however when Doyum's eyes met the already waiting Jinsung who then winked back at him.

ABORT ABORT ABORT!!!!!! THIS IS NOT A DRILL. SUPER CUTE AND HANDSOME SEATMATE IS DEFINITELY UP TO SOMETHING. PANIC!!!!!!!

Taekhyeonie!!! Junseo hyung!!! H E L P