Chapter 22

It was Lily's final fitting for the show's finale, and Monica had picked out a red silk dress that was so tight it was hard to breathe. They had informed her that the underwear would be very minimal because if she wore it, it would ruin the lines of the dress, which was why she was very uncomfortable wearing none at the moment. Monica turned her once more, nodding that she was satisfied with the changes that need to be made.

Bianca was sitting in the chair observing in an attempt to find inspiration for Lily's hair, and she had just told a story about the time she had told Jo about a grey hair that wasn't really there in retaliation for a nasty comment she had made about June. Lily was laughing so hard she was crying.

"She did not!" Lily insisted above the laughter as the door to the dressing room opened, and Mason entered.

Lily smiled at him and called a greeting.

"Perfect!" he said as he took in the dress. "Monica, you are a treasure. Bianca what do we have planned for her hair?" he turned to look at Bianca over his shoulder as she held out his hand to help Lily off of the stool on which she was standing.

"I'm not sure yet, I have a few ideas, but I'm not committed to any of them yet," she frowned.

"I trust that it will be perfect." He moved Lily over one of the makeup chairs and sat across from her in the empty one. "Ladies, can you give us five minutes?"

Lily felt her heart drop at the seriousness in his tone, and the other women picked up on it as well because they frowned as they were leaving.

When they were alone, Mason studied Lily and Lily patiently waited for him to start the conversation.

"When I had the idea for this show, I thought it would be good on its own, but I thought that if there were a way that I could use it to make a statement, or send a meaningful message, it would be great. It has been hard to figure out what that meaningful message might be, but now thanks to you, we have it."

Lily frowned, at a loss for how she had helped, her mind racing to try and figure it out.

"Thank you," he finally said, leaning forward and patting her hand. "Thanks to you, this show is going to make a difference."

It suddenly clicked for Lily. "Finn, told you, didn't he? He's going to let you use his leg as a storyline." She grinned as she said the words. Lily knew it wasn't going to be easy for Finn, but the fact that he had heard what she had said about helping others was a huge deal. To her, it meant he no longer saw her as a kid but as an equal.

"I can't believe that I didn't know, I don't think anyone here knows, which is shocking." Mason smiled back looking almost giddy.

"June probably does, but she wouldn't tell anyone," Lilly said offhandedly as her mind raced. "How are you going to handle it?"

Mason's grin grew. "It's going to be the last scene. We'll go from the hotel scene memory with you and him and a kiss, to his waking up alone in his bed or on a couch, his injury apparent to the viewer, end scene, end season."

Lily leaned back in her chair, nodding; it would make a statement and bring the viewers back the following season to hear the story of how he lost his leg. She wondered what Finn thought of it all. "I'm glad he's doing it, it will be a chance for him to help others," Lily said to herself, hoping she was right.

"We'll make sure it does. I'm curious about how you found out about it?" Mason asked with a raised eyebrow.

Lily's eyes met his, and her grin returned. "I'm sure you would!"

Mason waited, and when she didn't continue, he picked up a towel that was on the counter and threw it at her as he stood. "You little minx! Now get out of that dress before you ruin all of Monica's hard work."