Chapter 22: Runaway

Začít od začátku

He stifled a gasp at what he saw, unsure if it was real or not. There was a large, glass tank standing on the floor, with long rods attached on either side that the men had used to carry it through the forest. The tank wasn't so spectacular, though. What really amazed him was you, laying there in the coffin sized tank, swishing the water back and forth with your tail impatiently. Your body was completely indecent, but unlike any he'd ever seen before. You looked beautiful, the most beautiful woman he'd ever seemed. Wet, white tresses framed a face so perfect it almost looked like it was sculpted out of marble. Your tail held every color the sunset had to offer, and your thin fins filled the tank like frills of silk on a ballgown. Irritated eyes looked around the chamber, examining the surroundings and shooting tired looks at the men. Pink lips pouted in discomfort at being trapped in such small confines, and when you looked up to meet his gaze your eyes almost blew him away.

"Your highness," one knight spoke, "We captured the witch as you requested."

"Captured? She didn't come here of her free will?" Toshinori gasped, suddenly realizing why you looked so uncomfortable. Upon closer observation, he could see the shackles on your wrists and the bruises and scrapes you'd received as a result of them roughly subduing you.

"Well... your excellency... she wouldn't agree to leave the pond and insisted you come to her." That same knight sheepishly admitted.

"That doesn't give you the right to kidnap her! Away with you all at once. We'll discuss this later. There will be serious repercussions for this... Give me your keys!" He commanded the knights with indignation. He was too exhausted to deal with these imbeciles, their punishment would have to wait for another day.

One of the guards hastily handed him the keys to your tank and the king wasted no time in unlocking the glass lid. Your head popped out first as you gasped, taking in your first breath of fresh air in hours. You let it fill your lungs as you held on to the side of the tank, resting your chin and allowing yourself to calm down. It was incredibly steamy and hot in that tank, and the few hours it took them to drag you through the forest and too the castle had made you feel like a cooked vegetable.

They had lied when they claimed you refused to come. In fact, they hadn't even asked or explained what was going on before they were grabbing you and hauling you tail first into a tiny tank. You would've willingly gone along with them had they told you it was at the king's request. King Toshinori was a good king, you'd heard. Always doing what was best for the kingdom and for his people. You'd heard tales of his valiance and wise ruling. He was always helping others, so why wouldn't you help him?

"I'm terribly sorry about your treatment. I know an apology can't ever make up for how they kidnapped you and drug you here, but I hope you'll allow me to repay you in some way. Here, let me unchain you." His voice was kind and gentle, but he . But he looked so tired. His eyes were on the brink of exhaustion, his cheeks sunken in and drooping. He looked like a shell of the man you imagined him to be. Perhaps that's why they'd brought you here, to revive him To his former self.

You willingly held your arms out to him and allowed him to unchain you. The thick metal clattered loudly as it hit the ground, demonstrating just how heavy they were. Had the knights really viewed you as that much of a threat? The shackles had left angry red marks on your flesh, and he rubbed them delicately with his hands. He cursed to himself. This isn't at all what he'd intended.

Physical contact was unfamiliar to you, but you didn't mind the way he rubbed your sore wrists. His skin was soft, warm, his touch gentle and caring. You felt your face heat up as you swished your tail anxiously.

"It's alright, your highness" the formalities felt foreign in your mouth. It'd been hundreds of years since you'd lived anywhere in the kingdom, the speech and mannerisms it required felt odd to you. "What is it you need me for that had your men so desperate to have me?"