action and amazement pt.2

Start from the beginning

----------

Maryse sat, her tired eyes barely able to read the papers in front of her. It wasn't as if she could focus on that anyway; she was too busy thinking about Alec and how his special date was going. She smiled to herself.
She was startled from her daze by an abrupt, almost angry knock. "Come in," she said, not bothering to hid the fact she'd rather be sleeping.
"Hello, Mrs. Lightwood."
Maryse didn't know the girl's name, so she just replied with a simple 'hello'.
"Is something wrong?" she asked. The girl looked like she was either about to be sick or that something she'd seen had made her feel sick.
"Well, yes, sort of. I...overheard your son on the phone to someone."
Maryse wasn't worried; although she was starting to get irritated by this girl.
"And?"
"And he was talking to someone. Someone he loves obviously, because he sounded so happy, and he was laughing and saying things like 'you're so amazing'."
She raised an eyebrow. "You're coming to tell me about my son's love life -despite the fact that you found out via eavesdropping on a personal conversation?"
The girl's mouth tightened. Her hair was strictly pulled back into a high blonde ponytail, and she didn't look more than 18.
"I'm sorry. It's just, I heard little bits of the other person's voice and it was a man. You know how the Clave is about gays," she said, rolling her eyes and spitting the word 'gays' out as if it made her tongue burn with acid.
"Miss, let me tell you something. I am a strict follower of rules. I do not like rules being broken. However, I cannot and absolutely will not stand for anyone who dares touch my son. He is who he is, and he's not going to change himself for the Clave, no matter how much easier it would be. I love him, and I will always."
"But you know yourself if the Clave finds out, he's a goner."
It was taking all her willpower not to tell the soul to please get the fuck out.
"If worst comes to worst, I'm willing to do whatever it takes for Alec to be kept alive. He's my son, my blood. The bigoted assholes at the Clave don't care. Now please, leave me alone so I can finally get some rest."
The girl gasped in disgust, and was out the door, not without a dramatic hair flip.
Maryse rolled her eyes and smirked, but deep down she was terrified.
Alec was genuinely now in danger of being found out.
He was in danger of dying.
That won't happen.
Not on my watch, and over my cold dead body.
She needed to tell Alec immediately, but she didn't want to ruin their night.

Isabelle,
When you come home tonight, please come up to my office. Your brother may be in serious danger. Don't mention it to him; let me.
Love you baby girl,
Mum x

---------

"And that's why Alec never talks about it," Isabelle concluded, just as her phone buzzed.
"Great. It's mom. What does she want?"
Jace, Simon, and Clary were chatting between themselves when Isabelle's face blanched. Jace was the first to notice, taking the role of big brother Alec would usually have.
"Is everything alright?"
Izzy shook her head, and quietly whispered, "It's not good," showing Jace the text.
The siblings shared a tense, pained look. They knew what this meant.
Someone had figured out about Alec.
And they'd reported him to their mother.
Jace swallowed. He wouldn't show it, but he was scared. Alec was one thing he couldn't live without, and he was prepared to do anything and everything to make sure he was safe.
Clary and Simon, sensing the siblings' stress, offered to comfort them.
"Whatever happens, there's one common objective. None of us want Alec to be in danger. Izzy, please tell us what your mom says. We're both here for you," Clary said, grabbing Izzy's hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze.
Simon smiled. "Yeah. I mean, I may not be that helpful, but he's important to Izzy and I would do anything to help her."
The room went silent.
He realised what he said and his cheeks went up in flames.
Isabelle leaned across and kissed his cheek. "Thank you." Everything was silent again for a few minutes, until Jace broke the silence.
"Hey, it's past five. We should-"
Magnus's front door burst open. He and Alec had their arms around each other and looked completely bewildered.
"What the hell are you guys doing here?! Oh my gosh..."
The quartet shared a look.
"...Surprise?"
Alec hadn't said a word. He was extremely confused. Was this why they wanted Magnus's key? To decorate?
"...Did you guys do this? I don't remember the lights. Or the candles. It's all lovely. And are those-"
"Lights in the letters of your first initials? That was my idea! I thought they were really cute and I just had to get them for you guys."
Alec smiled, full of fondness.
"This was all for us?"
God how he loved life and everyone in it right now.
"This is an adorable gesture and frankly I love it all. But how did you get in?"
Silence.
A few glances at Alec.
An eyebrow raise from Magnus.
"What?"
"...Okay so maybe they asked me and maybe I gave them my key."
"Alec!" Magnus said, jokingly hitting his shoulder.
"Well you're one to talk! You didn't tell me about the whole picnic lunch dinner thing!"
"Boys, please. We best get going; we wanted to do this for both of you, and you have the rest of the evening and night to do whatever you want," Clary said, in her soft honey smooth voice.
Magnus snickered.
"Aaand that's our cue to leave. Bye!" Jace called, walking out the still wide open door.
"We should, probably leave, now. Bye!" Clary said, dragging Simon with her.
As Isabelle left, she leant up to whisper in Alec's ear.
"Don't do anything I wouldn't do," she said with an audible smirk, and flounced out the door.
Alec flushed, and Magnus started laughing.
"We're gonna have a very interesting time tonight."