Sign Me Up

Mariah had spent the weekend after her kissing encounter with Tessa distracting herself with family. Entertaining Faith and Christian with games and movies, having dinner with the whole family around the table. By the time she was back at work on Monday she felt a little more like herself. Completing daily tasks and getting Devon caught up on all the emails, phone calls and office gossip that he had missed, she fought to keep her mind off the dark-haired musician.

Devon hadn't mentioned Tessa and Mariah was not ready to bring her up. She just needed a few days to figure out what was going on in her mind...and her heart.

So it was a big surprise when Tessa walked into the office Wednesday morning, a curious smile on her face.

"What are you doing here?" Mariah said a little harsher than she had intended.

"Devon told me to come in after he came to see me perform last night." Tessa walked over to Mariah's desk where she set with a dumbfounded look on her face. "He didn't tell you he was coming to see me?"

"No, he didn't have you on the schedule. He does that sometimes though, goes and sees musicians and bands." Mariah shifted some papers on her desk, trying to keep her hands busy. "You can have a seat he will be here shortly I'm sure."

Tessa slid up on the corner of Mariah's desk, her leg dangling only inches away from where Mariah's bare legs jutted out from under her short dress. Mariah watched that leg, swinging back and forth, wanting to reach out and slide her hand up the denim that covered the thin muscular limb.

"I hadn't meant for you to sit on my desk, there are several chairs in this office and a couch for that matter. I have to work here." Mariah shifted papers out from under Tessa's rear end, her fingers pushing against the roundness trying to not tear any of them. "Do you mind?'

Tessa's smile shifted to a frown, her eyes darkened. "Did I do something?"

Mariah's heart hurt at the sight of Tessa struggling to understand why Mariah was angry. Though if Mariah was being honest with herself, it wasn't anger, but frustration that painted the tone of her voice. She hadn't had time to prepare for Tessa's arrival. Time to adjust to the idea that she would be seeing her around the office. Or time to figure out what she might want from this beautiful woman sitting before her now.

"I'm sorry. I just..." Mariah paused her mouth refusing to form the words her mind was trying to discern.

"I hadn't meant to upset you." Tessa reached out and touched Mariah's face. "I can go downstairs and wait."

Tessa shifted to stand, but Mariah's hand slid to the leg she had just recently been admiring. Her hand rested there as the two women's eyes met.

"I don't want you to go." Mariah let her hand remain on Tessa's leg. Tessa brought her hand to rest on top of Mariah's. As they sat staring at each other, not saying a word, they were unaware of Devon who was standing in the door watching the interaction between the two women. He smiled and cleared his throat.

Mariah jumped, her hand flying up to her hair, moving it behind her ear, a blush rising to her cheeks.

"Devon." Mariah shouted, louder than she had intended. "Tessa's here. You didn't tell me Tessa was coming in."

"Yeah, I went and saw her last night. I already called legal, they should have a standard contract drawn up, should be ready in about an hour. I was going to show Tessa around, let her see the studio and the music rooms we have set up for song writing and composing. Can you pick up the contracts when they are done and meet us on the roof top?"