Who Expects An Inquisition

Her eyes opened and she was surprised to find herself in a brightly lit room. A bowed wooden ceiling caught and reflected the soft light of a fire that crackled quietly at her side. Enya blinked a few times and flexed her hand. The pain was still there. Did that mean she was alive? She glanced around, taking noticed of the windows to the outside where a rich green pine tree stood and to the furs that hung on the wall. A bookcase was there as well and a writing desk in the corner. She lay on well-made bed cushioned by a mattress that she suspected was made of feathers and not straw like those to which she was accustomed.

In the corner, there say a caged raven. It let off a gentle churling sound every once in a while and the birds outside were singing. All of this, she concluded, meant that she was alive. The bird cocked his head and let out a loud caw under her inquisitive gaze. An elf with short, puffy hair walked into the room carrying a box. Enya turned to look at her, blinking her green eyes. The elf let out a cry and dropped the crate before her.

"I'm so sorry. I swear I didn't know you were awake," she seemed to struggle to find her words, as though frightened.

"It's alright," Enya responded slowly as she pulled herself up from the bed, "You haven't disturbed."

"If I could have your forgiveness it would lighten my heart," the elf replied, "I am not worthy or your presence."

The servant dropped to the ground in a deep bow and Enya's confusion at this response forced her to question her assessment that she was, indeed, still living.

"I only just..." she trailed off, unsure what to say in response to the other elf's words.

"My lady, you saved us. You stopped the Breach from growing any larger," The elf commented, still not looking up from the ground, "Your tale has made it all over Haven in the three days you have slept."

Enya jolted to attention, "Three days?" she asked.

"I'm sorry. I know no more information to tell you," the servant slowly rose from the ground, "When they brought you here Lady Cassandra informed us that we were to find her at once if you were to awaken or..." She closed her mouth quickly, turning for the door.

"Where..." Enya began but she was cut off as the other elf said.

"I must tell her the news," She pulled the door open and ran out it.

Enya sighed. So she hadn't been the only one to think those moments her last. She wondered how close she had come to slipping into the Beyond. Her hand pulsed, glowing brightly and spreading a dull ache through her arm again. If she'd sealed the Breach, why was it still glowing as it did?

She rose from the bed and crossed to the writing desk on which sat a note scribbled in practiced script. It described her condition when they had brought into what she presumed was her healer's care. He didn't seem concerned about her condition, beyond the magic of her mark. Sighing, she laid the paper on the desk, wonder vaguely why Solas had not healed her as he had done before during the battle as clearly he had looked in. Then again, perhaps he was unable to because of the cause of her sleep.

Enya turned and rooted through the box the elf had dropped. There were a few sprigs of elfroot in it. Perhaps they had been supplying her with to stave off a fever. She picked them up and laid them on the desk as she searched for her rudimentary armor and put it on. She slipped the elfroot into the pocket with the restorative potions Cassandra had given her and took on last breath before moving toward the door.

It swung open with a gentle push, and the elf stepped outside. On the threshold, Enya stopped as she spotted the lines of soldiers standing before her, right fist clenched over their hearts. She drew a quick breath, overwhelmed by this silent pledge. Snow fell gently over the scene as she took several, slow hesitant steps forward. She could not decide what to make of this display other than to be awed by it.