Chapter Twenty-Three

Começar do início

James' eyes were terrifying, there's no doubt in my mind he wanted to kill me. His rage seems to have made him stronger, no matter how hard I fought, he fought harder. I remember not being able to breathe, and the blood...there was so much blood.

One of the most troubling things is that I can't remember what provoked him this time. And even more troubling; why do I feel like whatever the reason, it had to have been my fault?

I have to stop; I've worked too hard to leave that scared girl behind. The one who accepted the blame for every beating, every drunken tantrum, every shattered glass, every single night that she was used for this animal's sexual pleasure, and every bit of his anger. I want to let her go...no, let me rephrase that I need to let her go...she's dead to me. The moment I wake, I'll make sure she's buried in the deepest, darkest hole so there's no way she can return.

I'm eased from my mental gymnastics by Harry's soothing voice and a kiss on the forehead.

"Baby Girl, maybe if I sing you a song you'll wake up. Will you wake up for me?" He sounds hopeful yet dejected at the same time. "I've been working on this song for our next album for quite some time, even before we met. But it makes me think of you."

Harry laces his fingers with mine and kisses the back of my hand tenderly while stroking his thumb on it, he's shaking uncontrollably. Taking a deep breath to compose himself before he begins.

If I could fly, I'd be coming right back home to you. I think I might give up everything just ask me to. Pay attention, I hope that you listen 'cause I let my guard down. Right now, I'm completely defenseless. For your eyes only, I'll show you my heart. For when you're lonely and forget who you are. I'm missing half of me when we're apart. Now you know me, for your eyes only...

***If I Could Fly By: One Direction***

His voice trails off and he starts to sob again. I hate it when he cries; it breaks my heart. I may not be able to talk or wake up, but I know I'm going to be fine; I just wish I could tell him that. I continue to fight with all the energy I can muster to open my eyes and speak. I need to do it for him, I can't take this anymore.

Harry's crying stops, the room becomes silent. The only thing going through my mind is that I'm falling back into unconsciousness. I don't want to drift back to sleep, I want to stay with him. I pray to whatever gods there may be that I don't slip away again.

"Oh my god Angel, you just squeezed my hand. Wake up Baby. Squeeze my hand again if you can hear me."

The only thing I hear is a gasp, then an eager yet tentative cry. The next moment I can taste the salt from his tears as his smile rests gently on my lips. I squeeze his hand; one, two, three...with the little energy I have.

"Open your eyes for me Baby Girl. Please?"

"Harry..." My voice is only a whisper and my eyes flutter open.

He pulls himself away just enough to look into my eyes. His hands cradle my cheeks and the most glorious smile grows on his face. Tears are still streaming.

"You're awake. Oh my god, I've been so scared. Let me get the nurse and tell her you're awake."

I grab hold of his hand.

"No, please stay with me, I've been trying to wake up for so long. I just wanted to see your face and tell you I'm going to be okay. But I couldn't, it was terrifying. I didn't think I'd ever see you or the girls again."

"I know, but I'm never going to let something like this happen again. James is in jail; he can't hurt you anymore. They're not letting him out anytime soon."