Chapter 4: Back on Earth

"Guys, I'm coming down. EOS is going to control five for a while." John's announcement was met with shocked silence. And cheering from a certain blond astronaut.

"Can I bother you to tell us why  you're coming down all of a sudden?" Scott seemed genuinely concerned as he said this.

"I'm going to see an old friend from college."

"Who, Ridley?" Gordon joked.

"What part of college  don't you get, dingus?" Alan retorted.

"It is a girl though, Gordon. Melody Lake, from NASA training."

"You mean the girl who you said gave up a chance on the ISS to run the 'family business'?" Virgil had never liked it much when John talked about her. He thought it was suspicious how she dropped a chance on the ISS for a family business. 

Scott scowled at his little brother before turning to the redhead.

"Come on down John, and if this girl is so important, I expect to see her walking out of Tracy one when you get back to the island."
-----------------------------------------------------------
John took a deep breath and walked up to Melody's door. He took another breath and knocked on the door.

"Oh, John! Come in, come in. Melody's in her room. Hold on one second." Mrs. Lake ushered John inside. 

She had often been John's mother figure if something happened at college. He remembered the many nights he and Melody had spent studying for tests and how Mrs. Lake or Mr. Lake would being out food for them.

 Soon, John's thoughts were interrupted by arms around his chest. He returned the hug, not minding the fact that his neck was being soaked by tears.

"Mel, what's going on?" John asked.

"Its a long story."

Thanks again to Queenbookerly for helping write the chapter.