Chapter 4- Seeing through your eyes

Author's Note: For Court @ourblythe ❤️
The next morning, Anne woke up pretty early. She fixed her braids as quickly as she could, she wore her classic brown dress and ran downstairs.

"Anne, you're already awake? How so?" said Marilla as she gave the girl some plates.

"Oh well, let's just say today is gonna be a great day." said Anne placing the plates on the table.

"Oh really? And how do you know?" Marilla asked full of curiosity.

"Nothing specific.. Just an intuition" Anne said and smiled.

"Sometimes I don't understand you Anne. I really don't." Marilla said and sighed, which made Anne giggle.

After breakfast, Anne took her books and slate, wore her hat and left Green Gables. On the way she couldn't help but try to think of ways to talk to Josie, to make her just listen.

"Anne! Anne, hi!" said a familiar voice.

Gilbert was standing right next to her, which made her remember yesterday's incident.

"Gilbert, hi!" said the girl and kissed him on the cheek.

"Why are you on your way to school so early?" he said as he looked into her eyes.

"I just.. wanted to think a little you know.." Anne said giving him a small smile.

"Oh I see.. Anyway I'll see you later because Miss Stacy is probably waiting for me. Maybe I can walk you home later." Gilbert said. Then he kissed her on the cheek and started walking.

Anne saw that Gilbert wasn't quite ok. Something was bothering him, but she couldn't say what. She wanted to run after him and ask him. But she had to plan her speech to Josie so she didn't do anything.

Anne let her things on the ground and took her slate in her hands. She took her hat off and bite her bottom lip. What could she say to Josie?

After some while, she realized she'd be late for school so she packed her things and got up. When she reached the door of the schoolhouse, she took a deep breath and promised herself she would make Josie talk with Billy by the end of the day.

As Anne entered the class, she took a look around the class as she took off her coat.

The boys were laughing and teasing each other, while the girls discussed peacefully and giggled.

Anne's eyes reached Billy, who was with the other boys, laughing. When he saw Anne, he gave her a slight smile and continued talking.

You won't be surprised to know that Gilbert watched the whole scene, and I can't say he was thrilled.

Anne greeted Diana and sat next to her. Then she turned around to face Josie.

"Goodmorning Josie!" Anne said and smiled.

"Yeah, right. It was.." Josie replied as she rolled her eyes.

"Ok class! Prepare your slates, our lesson is about to start!" Miss Stacy said as she entered the class.

During the whole lesson Anne was completely distracted. She kept repeating the speech she was going to say to Josie. When lunchtime finally arrived, Anne took the opportunity and went close to Josie who was now looking outside the window all alone.

"Hey Josie! May I, um.. sit?" Anne said but before she could answer, pulled a chair next to Josie.

Josie remained silent. Anne was shocked Josie didn't react or said something bad.

"Are you ok?' Anne said concerned.

"Yes I'm fine. Now could please leave me alone, freak?" Josie answered without looking at Anne.

"Actually I wanted to talk to you about something. It's about-" Anne started saying but stopped all surprised of what she was witnessing right that moment. Josie was actually crying.

"Josie? What happened? Are you sure you're alright?" said Anne now feeling bad for the blonde beauty.

"Do I seem alright to you?" Josie said sarcastically and managed to roll her eyes as more tears ran down her pink cheeks.

"Hey, I know that you don't like me very much, but I don't want you to be sad. You're a person too and you deserve happiness as anybody else." said Anne and placed her hand on Josie's shoulder.

Josie looked at Anne with her big glassy blue eyes, full of tears, shocked as she was.

"Why are you so nice to me? I've been so mean to you.. I don't understand." she finally managed to say sobbing.

"I know how it is to be hurt.. None deserves that feeling." Anne said.

Josie hugged Anne, which surprised her, and let her tears free with no fear.

"Why is this world so mean? Why can't people approve you the way you are? And why do they have to judge you without even knowing you, just because of your last name?" Josie said with indignation.

"Don't worry Josie.. It's not what the world holds for you, it's what you bring to it. Don't let others bring you down. I know you can show them you're the opposite of what they say." Anne said as she rubbed Josie's back.

"Thank you Anne, thank you.." Josie whispered.

"That's what friends are for!" Anne said, which made Josie look at her confused.

"You consider me.. your friend?" Josie said and her hazy eyes widened.

"Of course Josie!" Anne said and smiled.

Josie smiled back at Anne. Then the two girls linked their hands and stood up. Josie swiped away her tears.

"So, Anne. What was it you wanted to tell me?" said Josie and looked at Anne.

"Well, um..It's about-" Anne started saying but couldn't find any words to tell Josie that Billy had a crush on her. How could she discuss with her about something like that after what happened some moments ago? After all, they just got along, and it would be weird.

"About what?" Josie said interrupting Anne's thoughts.

"Nothing important.. I'll tell you tomorrow" Anne said, smiled at Josie and turned back to face Billy who looked pretty anxious.

"I'm sorry, I'll try tomorrow" she said to Billy with just moving her lips.

Billy nodded it was ok and smiled at her, which made her feel relieved.

For the rest of the day, Anne was pretty troubled. She was thrilled she and Josie were now friends, of course, but she couldn't stop thinking about Gilbert.

Gilbert was surely not ok, like something was bothering him. Her heart ached with the thought he was not ok. So she decided she would cheer him up after school, feeling bad they didn't talk nearly at all during the day. 

After all he was the only person that made her feel safe, and she wanted him to feel that way too.

Author's Note: This chapter was pretty big and I really enjoyed writing it so I hope you like it. Stay tuned for the next chapter!

Mel, xo