Chapter 3: Ivy makes a phone call

“Hey, where’s mom?” Ivy asked Hess, who was sitting at his computer. Ivy was on Hess’s bed, eating one of her PopTarts from the box that she brought upstairs with her. She just left Adrian and her Dad downstairs. Ivy figured that Adrian would notice the lack of Ivy in the kitchen area and leave. Adrian isn’t very smart like that.

          “No idea,” Hess shrugged, scrolling through mindless videos on YouTube. Hess was watching a video of two girls in a limo singing about how “Hot girls have problems too.” The girls weren’t that hot and they couldn’t sing at all.

          “What the hell are you watching?” Ivy asked with disgust.

          “It’s called Hot Problems,” Hess replied.

          “These girls make Rebecca Black sound like Adele,” Ivy mused.

          “Eh. I really don’t care.”

          There was silence for a minute. The two girls nasaly voices were filling the background. “Did you hear Uncle Rick got fired?”

          “Yeah it was broadcast live all over and now its on YouTube. I was watching it on the news earlier. It was hilarious.” Hess started laughing hysterically.

          “Well I’m sorry I missed the news. Adrian doesn’t really like the news. He only watches Jersey Shore and shows like that.”

          More silence followed. Then the crinkle of yet another packet of PopTarts being opened by Ivy.

          “Dad says he has the x’s,” Ivy said suddenly, breaking the awkward silence.

          Hess sat upright. He spun around in the black office chair he was sitting in. His face was a mix of shock, confusion, and relief. “The x’s? As in like, we do? Does he know what they’re for or anything?”

          Ivy shrugged. “Dunno. I’m going to star-6-7 call him and ask about it. Ivy pulled out her phone and dialed Rick’s number. It rang three times and a man with a sniffly voice answered.

          “Yes?” he sniffled again.

          Ivy spoke in an Australian accent. “Hi, um, this is Lucy Jones from the um, insane asylum?” She looked at Hess. He nodded in approval. “Is Rick Masen there?” Ivy continued.

          “The insane asylum…? Yeah, this is he,” Rick answered.

          “We heard that you’ve been one of the many who are seeing these mysterious x’s? Is this true?”

          “Umm…Yeah I guess…you’re not going to lock me up in a straight jacket, are you?” Rick sniffled.

          Ivy chuckled. “No, Mr. Masen, we won’t do that just yet. Now could you describe the x’s in any way? Or anything you heard or experienced during this time?” Ivy’s fake accent slipped, her real voice cracking through for a moment.  Ivy grimaced. She really hoped Rick didn’t notice.

          Rick was quiet on the other line. Then he exploded in anger. “Alright, who the hell are you really? I may be an emotional wreck right now, but I’m not stupid. That was the fakest British accent I’ve ever heard! If you’re some punk who’s trying to just get a few laughs by picking on an innocent old man like me, I’m gonna call the cops on you! So I suggest you come clean NOW!” Rick yelled, then sniffled again.

          “Okay, okay! Calm down!” Ivy panicked. She did NOT need to be reported to the cops again. The guys down at the station were starting to get to see her more than Adrian or her other friends.

          “What’s going on?” Hess mouthed.

          “He went bezerk!” Ivy mouthed back. She cleared her throat. “Uncle Rick, it’s Ivy! No need to report me! I’ve been down there way too much!”

          There was silence on the other end. All Rick said was “Oh.” And then he hung up.

          “Ergh! Bastard!” Ivy yelled at her phone.

          Hess just looked at Ivy. “Is there a problem?”

          “Yeah! The bastard hung up on me!”

          “Well don’t just sit there! Call him back, with your number this time!”

          Ivy sighed and redialed Rick’s number. It rang six times and then a voice picked up. “Hi, this is anchorman Rick Masen! I can’t get to the phone right now, so please feel free to leave a message!”

          Ivy hung up. “Voicemail,” She said.

          “Well that’s unfortunate.”

          “Yeah…Are you sure you don’t know where mom is? She’s been gone an awful lot lately, leaving us stuck with Dad.” Ivy spit out the word ‘dad’ with disgust.

          “Yeah, I have no idea. But I agree. I don’t like being stuck with dad either. That man is clueless and an ignoramus,” Hess replied.

          Ivy sat on Hess’ bed in silence for a second. “What do you think they’re for?” She asked suddenly, more to herself than to Hess.

          Hess stopped scrolling through pointless YouTube videos and pondered this. Out of the two twins, Hess was more of a thinker. He tended to weigh out each option carefully, sometimes so carefully that the opportunity was over. Ivy on the other hand was an impulsive do-er. Ivy usually did and said the first thing that came into her mind, which gets her into a lot of trouble in school and with the local sheriff. The two twins were perfect for each other. Ivy is a destructive, sassy, and loud teenage delinquent, while Hess was more on he quiet side. Hess stuck to his books and studies, and never got in trouble with the law. Hess is a good influence, for the most part anyways, on Ivy, while Ivy makes sure Hess knows how to have a good time. Together they’re like the yin and yang.

          “I’m not really sure,” Hess answered after thinking.

          “Yeah, me neither. I guess we’re just special freaks or something. It’s like our life is a screenplay for a crappy sci-fi movie.” Ivy ate her PopTart, chewing slowly. She looked around Hess’ room. “Ugh, where on earth is mom? Being stuck with dad sucks balls.”